• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Danganronpa Protagonists Bring Hope! Makoto, Hajime, Kaede and Friends for Smash Thread

Who is your favourite protagonist?

• Makoto

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Hajime

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Komaru

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Kaede

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
Danganronpa Duos for Smash Thread
daganronpa.png

DR1: Makoto Naegi Tests his Luck and Kyoko Kirigiri Questions Her Foes
DR2: Hajime Hinata Holds Out Hope and Chiaki Nanami Gets Her Game On
DRV3: Kaede Akamatsu Plays Her Harmony and Shuichi Saihara Begins the Investigation

Please Mark All Spoilers! This is intended to be a spoiler-free thread for those who have yet to play the games or know their stories.

What is Danganronpa?

Danganronpa is a series of horror visual novels about hope and despair in cruel and unjust circumstances. In each of them, a group of high school students recognized for their talents in a particular field, known as Ultimates, are trapped by an evil robotic teddy bear named Monokuma in an inescapable circumstance. They are told that they must murder one of their fellow students and get away with it in order to escape their capture and "graduate" from the game. The protagonists, generally, do not approve of this situation (for obvious reasons) and work to expose the masterminds behind the circumstances they find themselves in.

The gameplay is divided into three distinct modes. In Daily Life, the characters wonder around and socialize. Players can give gifts to strengthen their bonds with their fellow Ultimates, learning about each other and making friends. This is interrupted upon the discovery of a body, which begins the second phase, Deadly Life. In Deadly Life, the player investigates the crime scene, compiling evidence and testimony in order to uncover the guilty party. This culminates in the third phase, the Class Trial, where all the Ultimates argue about who is/isn't the killer, with the player using evidence as "Truth Bullets" to find contradictions in student testimony and shatter misconceptions had by the other students. In the latest entry, Danganronpa V3, the player is also able to use "Lie Bullets" to try to uncover the truth through misleading their classmates themselves. The court system also has a variety of (mildly-intrusive) minigames to help guide the player to the truth.

Who are these characters? Why have you picked six of them?

Three of these characters are the protagonists of their respective games: Makoto Naegi, the Ultimate Luck; Hajime Hinata, the Ultimate ???; and Kaede Akamatsu, the Ultimate Pianist. I have also provided each of them with a close friend to help provide them support: Makoto is joined by Kirigiri, Ultimate ???; Hajime is joined by Chiaki, Ultimate Gamer; and Kaede is joined by Shuichi, Ultimate Detective. My pitch is that they'd work like Zelda/Sheik in previous games - you can freely switch between the protagonist and their partner by using the down-special.

My reason for this is the core gimmick I'm proposing for the characters moveset. As mentioned above, the gameplay of Danganronpa is divided into three main sections. My pitch for a moveset is to have a duo of characters - one representing the Daily/Deadly Life elements, with moves that give opponents (deadly) gifts and pocket evidence (similar to Villager's pocket), while the other represents the class trial, presenting the evidence gathered by their partner in order to deal out massive amounts of damage. In this case, Kirigiri, Hajime, and Shuichi gather evidence, while Makoto, Chiaki, and Kaede present the evdince at trial. I think this would uniquely represent the mechanics of Danganronpa while also adding a gameplay loop unique to transforming characters in Smash Bros. I also feel it mostly reflects the personalities of the characters, with the more analytical ones gathering evdience and the more outgoing ones presenting it.

Shouldn't Chiaki and Hajime switch roles, as he's the vocal protagonist who would present at trial?

See, uh, part of the thought process that led to me pitching this gimmick is related to canon heights. Chiaki/Kaede/Makoto are the shorter characters, while Hajime/Shuichi/Kirigiri are taller. So, yes, Chiaki and Hajime are not in their 100% ideal roles, but this way they can hopefully work as alts.

Since when is Kaede shorter then Shuichi?

Oh, yeah, they slightly changed Kaede's height in the English localization of Danganronpa V3. I have no idea why they did that, but she's the exact same height as Makoto in the Japanese version. So, I'm going with the Japanese height!

Do you honestly think they would make 6 unique high-quality player-character-quality models for Danganronpa of all things?

Um. Well. No.

I do think that Danganronpa would be best represented by a character with an investigation/court gimmick though, similar to the one had by Phoenix Wright in Marvel vs Capcom 3. Smash Bros lately has been doing a very good job at making characters play in ways mechanically similar to their base games and I don't see why Danganronpa would be an exception to that. If I had to realistically predict, I'd probably bet on Makoto by himself, as he's both the protagonist of the first game and he has a lot of presence in spin-offs and franchising. That said, if Sakurai randomly asked me personally to pick one character to represent Danganronpa, then my personal preference is the Piano Freak, Kaede.

That said, this thread is intended to be a general discussion place for Danganronpa protagonists, be it as a standalone character, in my duo idea, or whatever other orientation you'd prefer! Heck, if you want Komaru, the protagonist of the spin-off game Ultra Despair Girls, then that is also totally fine for this thread! Just please do remember to mark your spoilers.

Why put Danganronpa in Smash?

Danganronpa represents three things currently not playablely present in Smash Bros.

First, it's a horror franchise! We have a horror assist trophy and plenty of horror spirits, but no character represents horror games in Smash themselves.

Secondly, it's a visual novel franchise. We know Ayumi, the protagonist of Nintendo's own investigation series Famicom Detective, was considered (however briefly) for Melee. A Danganronpa protagonist would provide a great opportunity to reconsider having an investigation-based visual novel moveset in Smash Bros.

Thirdly, it's a franchise from Spike Chunsoft. Spike Chunsoft is a company with a lot of Nintendo collaborations, notably being the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon franchise and, more recently, acting as a sort of go-between company for Nintendo and Brace Yourself Games collaborating on Cadence of Hyrule. So, while Danganronpa is currently only present on Nintendo hardware via cameos in other games (notably in Crypt of the Necrodancer), the company it is from has a close working relationship with Nintendo. This puts them in a similar boat to the one Joker was in prior to his reveal; I'm not saying Danganronpa content is in any way likely, but it is a dark horse that could certainly get into Smash if the stars align.

It is also currently Danganronpa's 10 anniversary! They've teased upcoming announcements for something happening sometime this year. Maybe that'll be a character in Smash! There is like a 99.9% chance it isn't Smash, but it could be! Technically!

What about a stage?

There are a lot of options here, but three places stand out to me: Hope's Peak Academy, the location of the first game major location across the franchise's lore, could work as a moving stage similar to Garreg Mach Monestary; the Ultimate Academy for Gifted Juveniles, the location of the third mainline game, could work similarly as well; and the Class Trial Room itself, where you could easily have other students from across the franchise gathering in the background to observe the fight as it goes on.

Smash doesn't care about spoilers. Do you think Danganronpa would be given special treatment?

Honestly? Yes, I kind of do. As a mystery visual novel, Danganronpa is an interesting position for spoilers, as they can really impact player experience. One could argue that spoilers present in the movesets of characters like Banjo or Shulk don't necessarily matter, given how those are games you can play primarily for the gameplay. I think Danganronpa, a third-party murder mystery game not currently on Nintendo hardware, would be treated differently then the franchises Sakurai and the Smash team have been kind of reckless with spoilers for. Which isn't to say I wouldn't expect famous characters as spirits, Mii Costumes, and stage cameos - I would, but presented in not explicitly revealing ways. I also would be surprised if the character themselves directly spoils key plot twists. I do think the music would be taken from across the franchise though, including some endgame and post-game songs.

Now, watch as I be wrong and the next character is revealed to be Monokuma and his final Smash is a 20-minute lecture where he spoils every key event across the entire franchise...

Character is Makoto, just Makoto. I'd rather more then that, but let's just assume it's Makoto by himself doing some truth-lie stuff.

Stage is a travelling stage through Hope's Peak Academy, stopping in 4 rooms which all house 4 character cameos. I was originally going to go with the trial room, but I would expect all the fighting to be on the inside of the circle of people and can't quite picture ideal framing? Like, I don't know how to make a circle of people that circular but also doesn't result in the backs of characters blocking your view... So, I'm pitching this stage stopping in the trial room, but it wouldn't have anyone in the circle itself with cameos and all the fighters just standing in front of it... First stop on the journey through the school is the dorms, "Hotel Despair." Junko, Celeste, Mikan, and Himiko all appear here, standing around and reacting to the battle. If they don't care as much about spoilers as I do, then there is 50/50 odds on Junko being Junko or Makuro... Next is the library! Hajime and Chiaki are here repping DR2. They are joined by Toko and Keebo as fellow nerds. If they don't care about spoilers, then Toko has a 25% chance of sneezing upon witnessing a KO and turning into Jack. Third is the Music Room. No points for guessing who is here - Sayaka, Ibuki, and Kaede rep the musicians. Shuichi joins Kaede. If they don't care about spoilers as much as I do, then Shuichi has a chance of being hatless. If they don't care about all of the content in Smash being directly sourced from a video game, then this scene will change to be a music performance when one of Sayaka's songs is playing (Kaede/Shuichi play piano, Ibuki plays guitar, and Sayaka sings). Finally, the journey ends in trial room. Kyoko, Byakuya, Komaeda, and Kokichi all appear here. Monokuma appears in the background as well, watching the affairs from on high. You could have some Monokuma-related stage hazards here if you really want.

Spirit Board is: Kyoko, Byakuya, Komaru, Hajime, Komaeda, Gundham, Kaede, Shuichi, Monokids, Monokuma.

Mii Costumes are: Monokuma hat, Tenko outfit as a brawler, and Komaru outfit as a gunner.
This is my really weird pitch for a playable trailer for a DR protag with alts. It would be released as a demo for the DR trilogy on Switch, with the demo being publicly encouraged to be played by all and advertised as having "new crossover elements" (ft. screenshots of all casts interacting). They also encourage nobody discuss the contents of the demo until 24 hours after it has been released, a tactic that I'm sure would fail, but seems worth a shot.

The demo is in three phrases - intro, investigation, and trial... like all DR demos.

Phase 1: Makoto wakes up on a desk and meets the Ultimates, just like in the DR1 demo. The casts are a mix from the three main games, plus Komaru, who claims she's been given the title of "The Ultimate Cameo" and is generally confused about what is going on, though happy to see her brother. Dialogue here can be reused from openings or all-new depending on the budget. This section ends once everyone meets at the gym, where Monokuma introduces himself and explains that they have all been trapped inside Hope Peak's Academy to play... a game. When questioned what kind of game, Monokuma says he won't say, but they need to investigate to find out and, as motivation, they will all be executed if they do not figure out why they are there within the day. Everyone panics and splits up into panicked groups to search the school.

Phase 2: While the Ultimates were in the gym, the school was seemingly used as a battleground for some kind of fight, as everything is suddenly much more destroyed. Makoto and Kyoko investigate the damage, finding that the various types of damage (including fireballs, electricity, and a lot of sword-based cuts) are varied and some rely on magic. Himiko insists this is proof of magic being real, explaining the types of attacks that would have caused such damage, while someone else is frustrated with her (IDK who... Komaeda?). You switch PoVs to Hajime, who explores the school with Chiaki and find some things that'd be impossible in reality, notably invisible walls. Miu banters with them, notably being physically unable to swear as much as she'd like and she also observes that her outfit is awkwardly censored. You then switch PoVs to Kaede, who finds a bunch of discarded items alongside Shuichi. She picks up one of them (Mario's hat but drawn as to never show the "M") and tries to encourage Shuichi to put it on, taking off his hat and giving him a pep talk about his insecurities in the process). They discover the hat physically is unable to go on his head, while Chihiro observes and compares this to some sort of programming error. Monokuma calls them to trial room to debate their circumstances.

Phase 3: In trial, Makoto has to prove the use of magic in the fighting, leading Hajime to prove they are in a E-10 video game, leading Kaede to prove it must be a crossover (all using minigames based on how they work in V3). Chiaki declares that it is "Super Sma-" at which point Monokuma declares the trial a success, with Makoto, Hajime, and Kaede as standout investigators. He decides to "award" them with an execution entitled the "Ultimate Invitiation" ("Super High School Level Special Invite" in Japanese), where they are bound together dragged out of the courtroom. As the execution begins, Kaede panickedly reaches her hand out to Shuichi, who successfully grabs her hand and is dragged with them to the new location. They are all then dropped in Battlefield, leading to a gameplay trailer as they decide to figure out how to apply their investigation skills to the world of Smash.

Supporter List:
amageish amageish
Clumsyzephyr Clumsyzephyr
kaithehedgefox kaithehedgefox
Idon Idon
Geoffrey Druyts Geoffrey Druyts
NintenZ NintenZ
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton
C chocolatejr9
Goombaic Goombaic
Flyboy Flyboy
Zeox Zeox
MintPepsi MintPepsi
Commander_Alph Commander_Alph
ninjahmos ninjahmos
Hinata Hinata
Jigglymaster Jigglymaster
Yiptap Yiptap

Last edited:

ColdBrew

Smash Rookie
Perhaps if Kaede could trade in her truth bullets for some sort of truth sword we might be able to sneak her in past Nintendo.

amageish

Smash Master
Perhaps if Kaede could trade in her truth bullets for some sort of truth sword we might be able to sneak her in past Nintendo.
Hey, she technically uses one in Rebuttal Showdowns!

There. One anime swordsperson, perfectly ready for Smash Bros! It's just a sword made of words...

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I'd definitely prefer to see a protagonist get in to rep this series. I just feel that they'd do the series more justice and get more people to understand what the series is about rather than Monokuma with an "execution" focused moveset. Count me in as a supporter!

amageish

Smash Master
So, what kind of content would people be interested seeing from Danganronpa in terms of stage cameos/spirits/Mii costumes?

I feel like the six characters mentioned in OP plus Monokuma and co. would be needed cameos/spirits, but beyond that I'm unsure. I kind of like the idea of mixing story-important characters with random picks for cameos/spirits to almost misdirect people within Smash Bros...

amageish

Smash Master
I know it's been months, but to all three of us here... HAPPY TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF DANGANRONPA!

Here's something special that was completely unintentionally timed.

amageish

Smash Master
I would prefer Makoto over Monokuma.
Agreed! I tend to like characters who feel like you're playing their game, but in Smash Bros, which is kind of a protagonist's job (minus, like, monster collection games)...

Shall I put you down as a supporter then?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Agreed! I tend to like characters who feel like you're playing their game, but in Smash Bros, which is kind of a protagonist's job (minus, like, monster collection games)...

Shall I put you down as a supporter then?
Of course you can add me as a supporter! However, I would still want Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney) over both Makoto and Monokuma for a visual novel rep because Phoenix Wright is more iconic.

amageish

Smash Master
Of course you can add me as a supporter! However, I would still want Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney) over both Makoto and Monokuma for a visual novel rep because Phoenix Wright is more iconic.
Fair as well! Honestly, I'm pretty down with most candidates for an investigation-game/mystery rep - be it Ace Attorney, Danganronpa, or even Famicom Detective... They all have their upsides and downsides.

I guess Danganronpa's main advantage is that it lacks inter-company competition, at least compared to Capcom... I mean, I'd take Shinren the Wanderer, but I... doubt that one is happening haha.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Fair as well! Honestly, I'm pretty down with most candidates for an investigation-game/mystery rep - be it Ace Attorney, Danganronpa, or even Famicom Detective... They all have their upsides and downsides.
Not to mention, excluding alternate playable character skins, Danganronpa certainly merits to have more than 1 playable character. I would probably want Monokuma to be the 2nd rep.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Not to mention, excluding alternate playable character skins, Danganronpa certainly merits to have more than 1 playable character. I would probably want Monokuma to be the 2nd rep.
I get that too, yeah. They definitely have a Hero/Slime thing going on, where one represents the mechanics and the other is the well-known mascot.

amageish

Smash Master
Wow, what an amazing thread.
Count me in, I love this series and want to see all that it could bring to Smash.
Added to the support list! Thank you so much - I'm pretty happy with how the thread has shaped up. I also think about various forms of representing this particular IP a lot...

Also, yeah, that 10th anniversary book looks amazing. I'm curious what will be inside of it, but also am not going to pay the price for it as... I'm not paying over $100 for a book plus import fees. The preview pages make it sound like we'll be getting some interesting stuff though, as it includes this image which...

maki.PNG

Doesn't look right given canon.

amageish

Smash Master

Another DR Identity V collab, this time based on DR2! I wonder if this will continue into a V3 collab one day, as we've actually never had the V3 gang in a crossover before.

This also means I can update my Collab Olympics! Here's the rankings of the most common playable character collabs Danganronpa has:

8 Collabs: Makoto
7 Collabs: Monokuma, Chiaki, Nagito,
6 Collabs: Junko
5 Collabs: Ibuki, Mikan
4 Collabs: Hajime, Kyoko
3 Collabs: Monomi, Gundham
2 Collabs: Komaru, Sayaka, Miaya, Byakuya, Toko
1 Collab: Sonia, Hiyoko, Kyosuke, Sakura, Celeste, Chihiro, Hina

To be clear: this is counting being a playable character directly (which is basically just in gacha games) and/or skin-swap costumes, such as the ones in Crypt of the Necrodancer or the Japanese version of Terraria. Monokuma obviously has a bunch more apperances when counting, like, Spike Chunsoft hiding a Monokuma plushie in one of their games or other non-playable "HEY DID YOU KNOW WE ALSO MADE THIS GAME" moments...

I feel very bad for Hajime. Collabs often seem to add Makoto, say "Welp, we've had our protagonist fix" and then just add a bunch of other DR2 characters instead of him...

Also just put V3 characters in things, Spike Chunsoft. I'm still sad that the Switch version of Crypt of the Necrodancer didn't add a Kaede... They added exclusive content; it could have expanded the crossover...

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
We could try pitting Makoto against Light Yagami (Death Note) in MUGEN to create a battle against two stars of media about killing people.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
As I said in the Monokuma thread, I'm open for any Danganronpa character making it into smash. Add me to the support list please.

amageish

Smash Master
We could try pitting Makoto against Light Yagami (Death Note) in MUGEN to create a battle against two stars of media about killing people.
I'm kind of surprised nobody from Danganronpa has ever turned up in an anime fighter, honestly. Seems like a logical enough series to put in one... I mean, I believe Mondo and some of his gang had a non-playable cameo in a Spike Chunsoft wrestling game, but, like, nothing in a proper 2D fighting game...

As I said in the Monokuma thread, I'm open for any Danganronpa character making it into smash. Add me to the support list please.
Added to the support list!

Here's a random hypothetical as an icebreaker: If we were to get a DR rep, but it cannot be: (i) a mascot character (i.e., Monokuma or any other variant on a robotic animal) or (ii) a protagonist (from the games themselves; you can pick someone with a VN or manga spin-off or a brief stint as a PoV character), then who would you pick?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I'm kind of surprised nobody from Danganronpa has ever turned up in an anime fighter, honestly. Seems like a logical enough series to put in one... I mean, I believe Mondo and some of his gang had a non-playable cameo in a Spike Chunsoft wrestling game, but, like, nothing in a proper 2D fighting game...
That's because much like Fate, Danganropa originated as a videogame, and would not belong in an anime fighter. Also, my idea of Makoto VS Light Yagami was meant to be thematic with current events.

amageish

Smash Master
That's because much like Fate, Danganropa originated as a videogame, and would not belong in an anime fighter. Also, my idea of Makoto VS Light Yagami was meant to be thematic with current events.
I meant "anime fighter" as it is used to refer to the genre of fighters with anime-inspired combat (which would include original IPs like Under Night In Birth and crossovers like Nitroplus Blasterz). I don't think Danganronpa would belong in, like, Jump Force or anything...

As for the current events connection, I didn't get that, but that's also in pretty poor taste dude...

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I meant "anime fighter" as it is used to refer to the genre of fighters with anime-inspired combat (which would include original IPs like Under Night In Birth and crossovers like Nitroplus Blasterz). I don't think Danganronpa would belong in, like, Jump Force or anything...
I was puzzled at first, I thought you meant something along the lines of "anime/manga all-star battle". But you're right to say that Danganronpa has no place in Jump Force.

As for the current events connection, I didn't get that, but that's also in pretty poor taste dude...
To explain, making a MUGEN battle with two stars of media about killing people because we are in a current event about death is like making a fanart of Sonic during the 30th anniversary of Sonic's debut.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
nagitosaysno.png

> Nagito didn't like that.

Solid reveal tonight! I wasn't exactly expecting a franchise of DR's size to be a TGA reveal anyway...

Overall, I'm pretty pumped. I will be more pumped once we actually know the music situation, but still pretty pumped.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I had a rather strange idea come to mind when it comes to the matter of height. After checking out height differences and being reminded that Makoto and Chiaki are the same, I also realized one of the closest characters in height to them is Kokichi, who is apparently two inches shorter. This sparked an idea to me: What if in the case that there is no switching mechanic and it is only one character consistently on the field, they choose a trio the both represent each game and represents the protag/detective/antagonist trio Danganronpa games tend to have?

amageish

Smash Master
I had a rather strange idea come to mind when it comes to the matter of height. After checking out height differences and being reminded that Makoto and Chiaki are the same, I also realized one of the closest characters in height to them is Kokichi, who is apparently two inches shorter. This sparked an idea to me: What if in the case that there is no switching mechanic and it is only one character consistently on the field, they choose a trio the both represent each game and represents the protag/detective/antagonist trio Danganronpa games tend to have?
So, like, one investigation moveset with Makoto, Chiaki, and Kokichi as the alts? That'd be very interesting and, frankly, no less bizarre then an Enderman using all of a MineCraft player's powers...

Makoto's probably the safest bet as the first protagonist and most common crossover character anyway. Chiaki's beloved and crosses over a lot too. Kokichi is a wild card (thematic, I know), but it's hard to deny his popularity and we have no V3 crossovers to look at precedent for! You could justify them all sharing trial game mechanics easily enough and it'd be especially funny/appropriate if Kokichi had a lie bullet mechanic at his disposal.

I'd personally be fine with that too - I mean, I'd be satisfied with anything that isn't too spoilery or, like, a series of dark jokes about how people died - and I could see that being a bit of a "Here's something for everyone" approach in a way?

At this stage, pragmatically, I don't know what I'd expect for a Danganronpa character, especially with the voice files suggesting there is only four total "characters" (assumedly including one pallet swap) left...

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
After finishing V3 Kaede has become my favorite character in the entire franchise, so yes I’m completely on-board with having the protagonists in Smash.

I could definitely envision a four-in-one character ala Hero with Makoto, Hajime, Komaru, and Kaede, that would be pretty sick.

amageish

Smash Master
After finishing V3 Kaede has become my favorite character in the entire franchise, so yes I’m completely on-board with having the protagonists in Smash.

I could definitely envision a four-in-one character ala Hero with Makoto, Hajime, Komaru, and Kaede, that would be pretty sick.
Hello! Kaede is also my favourite in the franchise. Added to the support list~!

4-in-1 seems possible for representation, if a lot of money on models for a franchise of DR's size... I haven't used Komaru in my movesets personally (well, I did have her in charge of a final smash at one point, blowing up both a Monokuma and captured opponents at once), but there is this cool render (V3-1 spoilers included) of everyone with hacking guns. Also, in terms of UDG in Smash in particular, there is a fantastic and criminally underrated Komaru mod for Rivals of Aether.

And even if Komaru didn't get in as a playable character, her hacking gun would make for a great Mii Gunner. Heck, I wouldn't be too surprised if she and a Monokuma Mii Hat were Mii Costumes if DR doesn't get a playable character.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hello! Kaede is also my favourite in the franchise. Added to the support list~!

4-in-1 seems possible for representation, if a lot of money on models for a franchise of DR's size... I haven't used Komaru in my movesets personally (well, I did have her in charge of a final smash at one point, blowing up both a Monokuma and captured opponents at once), but there is this cool render (V3-1 spoilers included) of everyone with hacking guns. Also, in terms of UDG in Smash in particular, there is a fantastic and criminally underrated Komaru mod for Rivals of Aether.

And even if Komaru didn't get in as a playable character, her hacking gun would make for a great Mii Gunner. Heck, I wouldn't be too surprised if she and a Monokuma Mii Hat were Mii Costumes if DR doesn't get a playable character.
Oh wow these are really cool ideas, it would be pretty interesting if the protagonists used Hacking Guns for their move sets which is something I never really thought about. If Komaru didn’t get in I’d love to see her as a Mii Costule honestly, as the Gunner would compliment her very well.

And yes, if Danganronpa doesn’t get a playable character I could very well see it getting a Mii Costume, there are a lot of good choices for that honestly.

amageish

Smash Master
Oh wow these are really cool ideas, it would be pretty interesting if the protagonists used Hacking Guns for their move sets which is something I never really thought about. If Komaru didn’t get in I’d love to see her as a Mii Costule honestly, as the Gunner would compliment her very well.

And yes, if Danganronpa doesn’t get a playable character I could very well see it getting a Mii Costume, there are a lot of good choices for that honestly.
Yeah, there's some cool kits based on the guns! I'm primarily a trial-minigame-moveset fan, but it makes for some good variety. I don't know if Smash would be so spin-off-focused, but Sephiroph's kit is based heavily on Dissidia with some influence from a literal movie so... who knows at this point haha.

Mii Costumes have a lot of potential for sure... I honestly don't know who they would choose if it was getting a costume. Makoto Brawler because first protag? Chiaki or Nagito because they're popular? Komaru? Sakura or Tenko as Brawlers, Peko as Swordfighter, or either of the walking spoiler Gunner options? A lot of potential... Who would you choose?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yeah, there's some cool kits based on the guns! I'm primarily a trial-minigame-moveset fan, but it makes for some good variety. I don't know if Smash would be so spin-off-focused, but Sephiroph's kit is based heavily on Dissidia with some influence from a literal movie so... who knows at this point haha.

Mii Costumes have a lot of potential for sure... I honestly don't know who they would choose if it was getting a costume. Makoto Brawler because first protag? Chiaki or Nagito because they're popular? Komaru? Sakura or Tenko as Brawlers, Peko as Swordfighter, or either of the walking spoiler Gunner options? A lot of potential... Who would you choose?
I think pretty much most of the danganronpa mii costumes could work for all mii fighter types.

amageish

Smash Master
I think pretty much most of the danganronpa mii costumes could work for all mii fighter types.
Fair! Most could be justified as fighting with their fists, or with a sword/sword-like-object, or with a gun-like-object (even though Smash Ultimate has been a bit pickier with its guns then Smash 4's "KK Slider Guitar Gun" days). I do think some work better then others though - any protagonist could wield their Truth Sword as a sword, but Peko with her sword will look the most natural 'cause... she's the Ultimate Swordswoman.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Fair! Most could be justified as fighting with their fists, or with a sword/sword-like-object, or with a gun-like-object (even though Smash Ultimate has been a bit pickier with its guns then Smash 4's "KK Slider Guitar Gun" days). I do think some work better then others though - any protagonist could wield their Truth Sword as a sword, but Peko with her sword will look the most natural 'cause... she's the Ultimate Swordswoman.
Furthermore, I think all mii costumes should just be for all mii fighter types. For characters who lack a ranged weapon, they can just fire shots from their hands, just like Cuphead.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Hmm, there’s a lot of good options for Mii Outfits...

I would personally love to see a Nagito Mii Swordfighter with the knife he uses as a sword, I honestly think that would be a great fit for him.

Could also see Genocide Jack as a Mii Swordfighter using the knifes she has, although if Komaru were to be playable I could see Toko being her partner which would work pretty well.

I could also see Nekomaru as a Mii Brawler, I could see it since he is a fighting type so it’s a pretty good fit overall.

I also liked a lot of the choices you listed, the Brawlers in particular are perfect options for them.

amageish

Smash Master
Furthermore, I think all mii costumes should just be for all mii fighter types. For characters who lack a ranged weapon, they can just fire shots from their hands, just like Cuphead.
It does kind of suck how many costumes are limited, even if they kind of work pragmatically...

Hmm, there’s a lot of good options for Mii Outfits...

I would personally love to see a Nagito Mii Swordfighter with the knife he uses as a sword, I honestly think that would be a great fit for him.

Could also see Genocide Jack as a Mii Swordfighter using the knifes she has, although if Komaru were to be playable I could see Toko being her partner which would work pretty well.

I could also see Nekomaru as a Mii Brawler, I could see it since he is a fighting type so it’s a pretty good fit overall.

I also liked a lot of the choices you listed, the Brawlers in particular are perfect options for them.
Oooh, Nagito as a Swordfighter would be great. I can imagine he would be very appreciated by the meme community, if nothing else.

Jack could work, though slasher is hard to turn into the swordfighter moveset they have... I imagine Toko would appear somewhere in a Komaru moveset - or, hey, turn the already-too-complicated duo idea from my OP into making 8 unique models for Smash Bros so we get Makoto/Kyoko, Hajime/Chiaki, Kaede/Shuichi, and Komaru/Toko...

Actually, Final Smash idea for a Komaru-only moveset...

Summon Jack a la Robin's Pair Up. If she hits another player, then she'll do some flashy slashes above the stage like Pair-Up/Omnislash/etc. If she doesn't hit anyone, then she sneezes and turns into Toko, instead doing... something else. Something healing-y seems like the obvious choice, but I do not know how she'd do that. Um... Hug Komaru for healing?

Thanks! Sakura and Tenko punching things is generally pretty perfect - also it'd just be cool to have Tenko's hair as a wig as her hair is very impressive.

I feel like I'd want a dozen Mii Costumes... Danganronpa has too many characters I like...

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
It does kind of suck how many costumes are limited, even if they kind of work pragmatically...
That's why I think all mii costumes should just be for all 3 mii fighter types.

I feel like I'd want a dozen Mii Costumes... Danganronpa has too many characters I like...
Just like Touhou and Mega Man, the Danganronpa franchise has plentiful of obscure characters that would be perfect for Mii costume, spirit, or assist trophy roles!

Coincidentally, when the world reached 1,000,000 COVID-19 deaths, we got a mii costume from a franchise about killing people/death, which was Travis (No More Heroes). I thought of a recurring pattern/theme idea lately, So maybe every 1,000,000 COVID-19 deaths, we get mii costume from a franchise about killing people/death. So when the world reaches 1,000,000 COVID-19 deaths, we could get some Danganronpa mii costumes since Danganronpa is a videogame about killing people/death.

Not to mention, Monokuma could be a deluxe mii costume!

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Coincidentally, when the world reached 1,000,000 COVID-19 deaths, we got a mii costume from a franchise about killing people/death, which was Travis (No More Heroes). I thought of a recurring pattern/theme idea lately, So maybe every 1,000,000 COVID-19 deaths, we get mii costume from a franchise about killing people/death. So when the world reaches 1,000,000 COVID-19 deaths, we could get some Danganronpa mii costumes since Danganronpa is a videogame about killing people/death.

Not to mention, Monokuma could be a deluxe mii costume!
Holy ****; please do not even joke about that. Real-world death isn't something that should be taking this lightly...

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Holy ****; please do not even joke about that. Real-world death isn't something that should be taking this lightly...
I wasn't trying to offend anyone or anything, I was just trying to be creative. It was just an idea I had in mind. It's simply along the lines of "Giving Sackboy (Little Big Planet) a mii costume shortly after the release of Sackboy's Big Adventure."

But to get back on topic, if Danganronpa isn't getting any playable characters for now. Would it receive any mii costumes just like No More Heroes?

Last edited:
Top Bottom