• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DAir Spikes/Finishers

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
My friend is looking for a main, and mentioned wanting a character with a DAir powerful enough to KO someone off stage. Ness, Lucas, and Wolf came to mind, but he's not a fan of the PK Kid Playstyle. Obviously everyone's DAir works to a certain extent, but is there anybody that stands out as far as this type of finishers goes? Obviously a good recovery would also help this cause.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Standouts:

:falcon: Captain Falcon can d-air for a meteor / spike depending on where you hit with it it, and his side-B in the air is a spike.

:ganondorf: Ganondorf's d-air is brutal, but I believe it's a meteor. His side-B is a guaranteed kill, but he also dies

:falco: Falco obviously has his d-air

:fox: Fox has that shine "spike" if that counts

:ike: Ike has a ton of meteor/spikes. His d-dair, d-tilt, n-B, and the downward strike from his up-B all meteor or spike

:marth: Marth's d-air spikes and you can sorta easily Ken Combo into it

:roypm: Roy's d-air is a strong meteor, but can be hard to hit with the right hitbox

:diddy: Diddy Kong can meteor with d-air and certain up-B hitboxes

:charizard: Charizard's d-air and down throw are meteors and his d-smash is a spike

:dk2: Donkey Kong's d-air and f-air (certain hitbox) and his side-B

The rest of the spikes / meteors:

:ivysaur: Ivysaur's d-air and up-air kinda

:luigi2: Luigi's d-air, certain hitbox

:mario2: Mario's f-air, certain hitbox

:kirby2: Kirby's d-air

:lucario: Lucario's aerial side-B

:popo: Ice Climber's f-air

:olimar: Olimar's d-air

:pit: Pit's d-tilt and d-air (certain hitbox)

:samus2: Samus' d-air

:rob: ROB's d-air

:snake: Snake's d-air and f-air

:sonic: Sonic's f-air (certain hitbox) and d-air (certain hitbox)

:toonlink: Toon Link's d-air (certain hitbox) and d-tilt (certain hitbox)

:link2: Link's d-tilt I think?

:wario: Wario's d-air

:yoshi2: Yoshi's f-air and d-air (sorta)

:zelda: Zelda's d-air

:mewtwopm: Mewtwo's d-air

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Don't forget, Pit's Dair spikes, and since you're counting Kirby's and Snake's, Yoshi's Dair I believe sends down. There's also Bowser's Up-smash

@Mewtwo's SideB You probably saw him stage spike someone

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I'd probably recommend Marth seeing as he's one of if not the most offstage-heavy meteor user. Ken combos for life.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
yep, one of the last few frames hits at the dirtiest angle I've ever seen a viable spike go. zero uses it as an edgeguarding option

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I know you wanted a list of characters with strong/easy-to-use spikes, but pretty much everyone in the game has at least one (just Jigglypuff, MetaKnight, Pikachu, and Sheik, iirc). Here's a list of every one (as far as I know) for easy reference.

Quick Disclaimer: The info found in this list was compiled from what I'm pretty sure are credible sources, but it may still contain errors.

KEY
WHITE = HAS NO HITBOXES WITH DOWNWARD KNOCKBACK
GREEN = HAS SPIKE HITBOXES

YELLOW = HAS BOTH SPIKE AND METEOR SMASH HITBOXES
RED = HAS METEOR SMASH HITBOXES
BLUE = NOTES
((MoveName)) = PARENTHESIS COLOR INDICATES MOVE'S ORIGINAL SPIKE/METEOR SMASH PROPERTIES IN MELEE/BRAWL, IF DIFFERENT

AERIAL ATTACKS:
:bowser2: D-air -- impractical; small sweetspot on final hitbox frame
:falcon: D-air -- upper-most hitbox spikes, others meteor smash (hence the term "nipple-spike")
:charizard: D-air
:dk2: ((F-air)) -- "spike sends slightly outward like other spikes do to be outside meteor trajectory range"
:dk2: D-air
:diddy: D-air

:falco: D-air
:fox: D-air -- impractical; very weak
:ganondorf: D-air
:popo: F-air
:ike: ((
D-air))
:ivysaur: ((U-air)) -- "falling hitbox is a spike for the first four frames"
:ivysaur: D-air
:kirby2: D-air
:lucas: B-air
:lucas: D-air

:marth: D-air -- small sweetspots
:luigi2: D-air -- small sweetspot
:mario2: F-air
:mewtwopm: D-air
:gw: D-air
:ness2: D-air
:olimar: D-air

:pit: ((D-air)) -- small sweetspot
:rob: D-air
:roypm: D-air
-- small sweetspots

:samus2: D-air
:snake: ((F-air)) -- tip/foot hitbox spikes, others meteor smash
:sonic: ((F-air))
:sonic: ((
D-air)) -- initial hitbox only
:toonlink: D-air -- initial hitbox only

:wario: D-air
:wolf: D-air
:yoshi2: F-air
:yoshi2: D-air
:zelda: D-air

:zerosuitsamus: D-air -- impractical as meteor smash; mimics footstooling, good for combos

OTHER ATTACKS:
:bowser2: ((U-smash)) -- during descent
:falcon: ((Side-B))
:charizard: D-smash
:charizard: D-throw
:dk2: Side-B
:diddy: Up-B

:diddy: Side-B -- second hit, while airborne
:falco: Side-B
:falco: D-throw
:fox: D-throw
:ganondorf: Side-B
-- while grounded
:ganondorf: Down-B
:ike: D-tilt -- weak
:ike: Up-B -- during descent
:dedede: F-smash
:dedede: Up-B
:kirby2: Up-B
-- during descent
:link2: D-tilt -- weak
:lucario: Side-B -- while airborne
:lucario: Super Side-B -- while airborne
:luigi2: D-tilt -- weak
:luigi2: D-taunt
:mario2: ((U-smash)) -- on grounded foes; adopted trait from Dr. Mario's U-smash
:marth: Side-B -- third hit, if upward hit is chosen
:gw: D-throw
:peach: D-tilt
--weak
:pit: D-tilt -- weak
:roypm: U-smash -- "The tip can meteor smash at the very first frames of the attack"
:roypm: Side-B -- third hit, if upward hit is chosen

:squirtle: Down-B -- while airborne
:toonlink: ((D-tilt)) -- weak
:wario: D-throw -- I think...? Not sure about this one...
:wolf: Side-B
:zelda: D-tilt
-- weak
:zerosuitsamus: Up-B
:zerosuitsamus: Down-B
-- second hit; impractical; very weak

Last edited:

Meme

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
6939 6733 3968
I always thought Snakes F-Air was a spike... I've never seen someone meteor cancel that thing... unless it has some awkward timing to it.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I always thought Snakes F-Air was a spike... I've never seen someone meteor cancel that thing... unless it has some awkward timing to it.
It's both. Most of it is a meteor but I believe his heel is a spike.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
TBH it could very well be; I couldn't find a list differentiating spikes from meteor spikes anywhere in the P:M boards (granted I'm pretty tired lol...sorry if I missed something obvious), so I made that list based off of Brawl/Melee mechanics, and Snake's f-air was a meteor in Brawl. I'll add a disclaimer just in case .___.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
It's both. Most of it is a meteor but I believe his heel is a spike.
Whoops. Other than the fact that meteors can be cancelled and spikes can't, is there any other distinct traits that differentiate the two? Now that I think about it, there aren't any true spikes in Brawl, so...would I be wrong in assuming that several of the Brawl newcomers moves I listed as meteors were actually made into spikes or hybrids?

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I assume the Melee information on the wiki pages Spike and Meteor are accurate to PM, at least for the properties and differences

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I assume the Melee information on the wiki pages Spike and Meteor are accurate to PM, at least for the properties and differences
I figured they would be, with transferred Melee mechanics and all. But if Snake's F-air was given spike properties as you said, that means PMBR added spike properties to some of the Brawl cast's meteor smashes since spike mechanics are nonexistant in Brawl, and therefore, all the newcomers couldn't have spikes. I'm pretty sure these are listed under the changes listed for each character on their SSBWiki P:M pages, so I'll check there and update the list.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I figured they would be, with transferred Melee mechanics and all. But if Snake's F-air was given spike properties as you said, that means PMBR added spike properties to some of the Brawl cast's meteor smashes since spike mechanics are nonexistant in Brawl, and therefore, all the newcomers couldn't have spikes. I'm pretty sure these are listed under the changes listed for each character on their SSBWiki P:M pages, so I'll check there and update the list.
Yeah, we really need a wiki just for PM :3

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
For those who were interested, the list has been updated to the most correct it's ever gonna be lol.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
@ ECHOnce ECHOnce For Roy's DED it's the third upward (not downward) hit that meteors, if you're still interested in corrections, that is.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
GaW's Bacon has a semi spike on the pan hitbox, basically works like Pika's uair semi spike. Its very underused.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Standouts:

:falcon: Captain Falcon can d-air for a meteor / spike depending on where you hit with it it, and his side-B in the air is a spike.

:ganondorf: Ganondorf's d-air is brutal, but I believe it's a meteor. His side-B is a guaranteed kill, but he also dies

:falco: Falco obviously has his d-air

:fox: Fox has that shine "spike" if that counts

:ike: Ike has a ton of meteor/spikes. His d-dair, d-tilt, n-B, and the downward strike from his up-B all meteor or spike

:marth: Marth's d-air spikes and you can sorta easily Ken Combo into it

:roypm: Roy's d-air is a strong meteor, but can be hard to hit with the right hitbox

:diddy: Diddy Kong can meteor with d-air and certain up-B hitboxes

:charizard: Charizard's d-air and down throw are meteors and his d-smash is a spike

:dk2: Donkey Kong's d-air and f-air (certain hitbox) and his side-B

The rest of the spikes / meteors:

:ivysaur: Ivysaur's d-air and up-air kinda

:luigi2: Luigi's d-air, certain hitbox

:mario2: Mario's f-air, certain hitbox

:kirby2: Kirby's d-air

:lucario: Lucario's aerial side-B

:popo: Ice Climber's f-air

:olimar: Olimar's d-air

:pit: Pit's d-tilt and d-air (certain hitbox)

:samus2: Samus' d-air

:rob: ROB's d-air

:snake: Snake's d-air and f-air

:sonic: Sonic's f-air (certain hitbox) and d-air (certain hitbox)

:toonlink: Toon Link's d-air (certain hitbox) and d-tilt (certain hitbox)

:link2: Link's d-tilt I think?

:wario: Wario's d-air

:yoshi2: Yoshi's f-air and d-air (sorta)

:zelda: Zelda's d-air

:mewtwopm: Mewtwo's d-air
At Roy's segment:
Very hard to hit. Even proper setups are never guaranteed to actually sweet-spot the meteor. The entire area you also need to even hit for the meteor to even actually work is incredibly awkward.
I don't think Link's Down air actually spikes - I'm fairly certain it's almost the exact same thing: unless you're talking about Link's D-Tilt if he's grounded, that most certainly does send your opponent downward I'm not sure if it's a spike however. And, I'm certain Sonic's down-air does not spike or meteor, his fair does though - someone correct me with some evidence (If you can provide) if I am wrong, however. Also, when did Pit's down-air change? I thought it stayed mostly the same compared to the Brawl version.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
I know you wanted a list of characters with strong/easy-to-use spikes, but pretty much everyone in the game has at least one (just Jigglypuff, MetaKnight, Pikachu, and Sheik, iirc). Here's a list of every one (as far as I know) for easy reference.

Quick Disclaimer: The info found in this list was compiled from what I'm pretty sure are credible sources, but it may still contain errors.

KEY
WHITE = HAS NO HITBOXES WITH DOWNWARD KNOCKBACK
GREEN = HAS SPIKE HITBOXES

YELLOW = HAS BOTH SPIKE AND METEOR SMASH HITBOXES
RED = HAS METEOR SMASH HITBOXES
BLUE = NOTES
((MoveName)) = PARENTHESIS COLOR INDICATES MOVE'S ORIGINAL SPIKE/METEOR SMASH PROPERTIES IN MELEE/BRAWL, IF DIFFERENT

AERIAL ATTACKS:
:bowser2: D-air -- impractical; small sweetspot on final hitbox frame
:falcon: D-air -- bottom-most hitbox spikes, others meteor smash
:charizard: D-air
:dk2: ((F-air)) -- "spike sends slightly outward like other spikes do to be outside meteor trajectory range"
:dk2: D-air
:diddy: D-air

:falco: D-air
:fox: D-air -- impractical; very weak
:ganondorf: D-air
:popo: F-air
:ike: ((
D-air))
:ivysaur: ((U-air)) -- "falling hitbox is a spike for the first four frames"
:ivysaur: D-air
:kirby2: D-air
:lucas: B-air
:lucas: D-air

:marth: D-air -- small sweetspots
:luigi2: D-air -- small sweetspot
:mario2: F-air
:mewtwopm: D-air
:gw: D-air
:ness2: D-air
:olimar: D-air

:pit: ((D-air)) -- small sweetspot
:rob: D-air
:roypm: D-air
-- small sweetspots

:samus2: D-air
:snake: ((F-air)) -- tip/foot hitbox spikes, others meteor smash
:sonic: ((F-air))
:sonic: ((
D-air)) -- initial hitbox only
:toonlink: D-air -- initial hitbox only

:wario: D-air
:wolf: D-air
:yoshi2: F-air
:yoshi2: D-air
:zelda: D-air

:zerosuitsamus: D-air -- impractical as meteor smash; mimics footstooling, good for combos

OTHER ATTACKS:
:bowser2: ((U-smash)) -- during descent
:falcon: ((Side-B))
:charizard: D-smash
:charizard: D-throw
:dk2: Side-B
:diddy: Up-B

:diddy: Side-B -- second hit, while airborne
:falco: Side-B
:falco: D-throw
:fox: D-throw
:ganondorf: Side-B
-- while grounded
:ganondorf: Down-B
:ike: D-tilt -- weak
:ike: Up-B -- during descent
:dedede: F-smash
:dedede: Up-B
:kirby2: Up-B
-- during descent
:link2: D-tilt -- weak
:lucario: Side-B -- while airborne
:lucario: Super Side-B -- while airborne
:luigi2: D-tilt -- weak
:luigi2: D-taunt
:mario2: ((U-smash)) -- on grounded foes; adopted trait from Dr. Mario's U-smash
:marth: Side-B -- third hit, if upward hit is chosen
:gw: D-throw
:peach: D-tilt
--weak
:pit: D-tilt -- weak
:roypm: Side-B -- third hit, if upward hit is chosen
:squirtle: Down-B -- while airborne
:toonlink: ((D-tilt)) -- weak
:wario: D-throw -- I think...? Not sure about this one...
:wolf: Side-B
:zelda: D-tilt
-- weak
:zerosuitsamus: Up-B
:zerosuitsamus: Down-B
-- second hit; impractical; very weak

I didn't read them all but there was one thing that stuck out: C. Falcon's spike hitbox is on his torso and his meteor hitbox is on his feet. If you ever heard of people saying "nipple spike," it's cause C. Falcon's spike hits around his nipple lol. This sort of thing happens because the hitboxes hit further and further outwards as they go further up his body, and moves are seen as "meteors," allowing for meteor cancels only when the angle is a certain distance or less from straight down.

Charizard has a spike on dsmash, and meteors on dthrow and dair
I'm 99% certain that Zard's d-smash is a meteor. It might not be if I'm wrong about the angle thing above^, but the only hitbox on dsmash that can hit aerial opponents hits straight down. Your friends are likely meteor canceling it too early. You can hit up B after 20 frames (one third of a second) or jump after 40 frames (two thirds of a second). If you do either of these too early then the game will not accept either type of interrupt and you can no longer cancel the meteor.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
If he's specifically looking for a Dair meteor/spike KOer, it's hard to recommend Roy. With the long end lag, combined with Roy's recovery and his very high falling speed (one of the highest in PM's whole roster), it's too dangerous to pull off most of the time. Someone already mentioned DED but there is one more Roy has that I know of and that is Up Smash. I'm not sure how it works but I do know that only the tip must connect for it. I believe it's a spike.

I think this is perhaps too janky, but characters who can utilise footstool spikes may be worthy of mention. ZSS can, with a good amount of prediction skills and reflexes, get footstool KOs out of DSmash particularly on characters that fall fast like Fox. Peach also has her float which allows her to use Dair in place and near immediately follow up with a footstool. It's brutal.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
If he's specifically looking for a Dair meteor/spike KOer, it's hard to recommend Roy. With the long end lag, combined with Roy's recovery and his very high falling speed (one of the highest in PM's whole roster), it's too dangerous to pull off most of the time. Someone already mentioned DED but there is one more Roy has that I know of and that is Up Smash. I'm not sure how it works but I do know that only the tip must connect for it. I believe it's a spike.

I think this is perhaps too janky, but characters who can utilise footstool spikes may be worthy of mention. ZSS can, with a good amount of prediction skills and reflexes, get footstool KOs out of DSmash particularly on characters that fall fast like Fox. Peach also has her float which allows her to use Dair in place and near immediately follow up with a footstool. It's brutal.
That Roy Spike is crazy, I've never seen it used.

While he's decided to go with Zelda, I'm personally going to look into that sweet spot.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
That Roy Spike is crazy, I've never seen it used.
That GIF is the only time I personally have used it for a KO. However it can be a pretty good combo starter/continuer on certain stages where the platforms are high enough that only the spike hitbox connects when used below a platform (Battlefield is probably the best example).

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how it works but I do know that only the tip must connect for it. I believe it's a spike.
Thanks! I found that it was considered a spike in melee, but is listed as a meteor smash in P:M. This is sort of curious, since it wasn't noted under the changes from Melee to P:M like it should have been if such is the case. Since it was listed as a meteor in the P:M article, I'm keeping it listed as such until we come across any other info that proves otherwise. (I'd scour through the Roy hitbox/frame data threads and elsewhere for any info, but I'm tired/busy lol. hence why I'm just linking to the wiki; I realize it may not be the most reliable, but hopefully it's good enough for quick reference aha)

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Thanks! I found that it was considered a spike in melee, but is listed as a meteor smash in P:M. This is sort of curious, since it wasn't noted under the changes from Melee to P:M like it should have been if such is the case. Since it was listed as a meteor in the P:M article, I'm keeping it listed as such until we come across any other info that proves otherwise. (I'd scour through the Roy hitbox/frame data threads and elsewhere for any info, but I'm tired/busy lol. hence why I'm just linking to the wiki; I realize it may not be the most reliable, but hopefully it's good enough for quick reference aha)
I looked in the sticky and it didn't reveal much. However, it did confirm that the top of Roy's sword is where the meteor is. On hit #5 however, the meteor hitbox changes to an upward launcher. The meteor hitbox also overlaps with the one below it, so careful spacing is required to make sure that only the meteor hitbox connects. Anywho, I'll stop posting because I'm making this get rather off-topic.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Holy crap I totally forgot that could spike, I think it also worked like that in Melee. But its been a long time since I've played Roy in Melee

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Certainly looks like it, definitely on my bucket list of things to attempt.
I really recommend it. Roy is a KO genius. Believe it or not, (I wish I had recorded) on metal cavern I was in the middle of the stage on The platform. Perhaps the luckiest KO's of my life happened when a Ness traveling via PKT2 and a Fox using up-special took Roy's up-smash spike at the same time, it finished both.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I really recommend it. Roy is a KO genius. Believe it or not, (I wish I had recorded) on metal cavern I was in the middle of the stage on The platform. Perhaps the luckiest KO's of my life happened when a Ness traveling via PKT2 and a Fox using up-special took Roy's up-smash spike at the same time, it finished both.
I use Roy a fair bit in PM, i'm just not sure if I prefer him or Marth as my secondary right now lol

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I use Roy a fair bit in PM, i'm just not sure if I prefer him or Marth as my secondary right now lol
It's all about trade off. The FE Smashers are on a spectrum. Marth is at the speed end, he has great follow ups. Roy, is in the middle. He trades some off that agility for more KO potential, but he's a tad harder to maintain combos with imo. Then there's Ike, he's all KO potential.

Top Bottom