• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dair Spike Frames?

Rayvelion

Smash Rookie
So I've been looking around and testing in debug mode but I can't come to any firm conclusion on if the Dair Spike hits in the last 3 frames (the last 3 horizontal hitboxes) or simply the last 2 frames. I've tried testing it in Debug but it's very difficult to tell with bugged frame advance since the last 3 hitboxes are so close to one another, however, I'm leaning towards only the final 2 frames since sometimes I don't get a spike even if I hit one of the horizontal hitboxes near the end of the attack.

Does anyone have any concrete knowledge of it? I've seen a lot of unconclusive words floating around like "last few frames" which isn't very helpful given the last 3 frames of the attack are so similar.

Rayvelion

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I found an older post that said it hit on Frames 12-14, but that would indicate it hits on 3 frames, not 2, and I'm very certain the move only last for 13 frames, not 14 like it stated. Even looking at it as saying "last 3 frames" it doesn't match up with my experience of it only being the last 2 since I have hit numerous horizontal hitboxes and only had it spike occasionally. Also, the frame data thread didn't have the info on specifically when the spike occurs (unless I missed it somehow during the 3 times I checked it) only it's knockback/angle/damage.

I'm in the same boat of reasoning as you that it has to just be the last two frames of the move (which means it's almost impossible to hit it unless you hit with the last frames of the move during a rising dair and not a falling one). Since while falling you'd hit with the first horizontal hitbox (starts off lower) instead of the upper two (is higher positioned).

Last edited:

kirjian

Smash Rookie
I'm fairly sure that in the last two frames of the attack, only the sword hitbox is a spike. I tested it using savestates and both dolphin's and the in-game frame advance to control the spacing. I think I read somewhere that the sword hitbox lost its priority though, I'm not sure about that last one.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Pit's dair hit boxes are broken down as follows:
Code:
Frames 1-8: Start up
Frames 9-11: Three hitboxes are formed on his sword, two on the sword, one on the hilt.
They carry the following stats:
Hilt: Damage 10 Direction 75 BKB 35 KBG 99
Sword 1+2: Damage 12 Direction 75 BKB 35 KBG 99
Frames 12-13: Three hitboxes replace the other hitboxes, two on the sword, one on the hilt.
They carry the following stats:
Hilt: Damage 10 Direction 75 BKB 20 KBG 75
Sword 1+2: Damage 12 Direction 300 (spike) BKB 40 KBG 50
Frame 14: Collisions Terminated
So yes, the spike is active for the last two frames of the attack. They are positioned on the sword, the hilt will send at an upward angle.

Life

Smash Hero
For a decent dair spike setup, at high percents near the ledge, fthrow people a bunch of times. When they are conditioned to survival DI it, dthrow dairspike will combo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom