• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Da Ruleset

Status
Not open for further replies.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Because we eventually have to get to this (and Tier Lists but that one can wait a little longer).

I've been thinking on this for a while, and the more I think about it the more I get convinced that we should make it a guide rather than a single standard ruleset.

(The next paragraphs are brainstorming, not actual statements I'm 100% convinced of)
For example, instead of "THE RULES: 3 STOCKS, 8 MINUTES, SUCK IT", use a different approach: "Stocks have proven to be more efficient for Tournament Games, whether 2 (with a 5-minute limit timer) or 3 (with an 8-to-10-minute limit timer), have been successfully been run for several events".
Same goes for Stages: "The next stages have proven not to hinder gameplay at all" and "the next stages provided different results, their fairness remains unresolved and may need further play", with "the next stages cause Tournament Play to degenerate, making the more skilled player much less likely to get the victory".

Theoretically, this would enforce TO's all over the world not to just copy-pasting what they see, but at least have a little thought on their tournaments in order to decide their rulesets. It wold also allow room for explaining Formats and which ones are better for different kinds of events.
Overall, a way to get the BR's point of view without being authoritarian over what should be done, allowing the metagame to develop, and even later adjustments to change what needs to be changed.

My two cents.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Not a bad idea, but I think the value of a BR rule set actually lies in the ease of copy/pasting for the vast majority of small TOs who have little to no interest in impacting the metagame with their rule set or doing something new/different.

Forcing a TO to think when they don't want to think means they'll just copy/ paste their rule set from someone else instead of us.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Well.... someone had to put a thought of that.... :p

Alternatively we could have a "synthesized" example of rulesets, or add links to existing rulesets we consider appropriate.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I like the idea of a ruleset list, at least early on of course. It allows further testing to be done on a wider scale. That way it can be "supported" and everyone can whittle things down to a final ruleset down the line.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
There will always be TOs who decide to use their own ruleset over what anyone else does, for better or worse. The best we can do is have one we recommend.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Unfortunately that's not how most people think.

They'll probably think it's a copy-paste ruleset, and they'll rage if we, say, just list stages and Mute City/Unova League are there (even if listed as CP/Ban).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom