• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cutter dash land cancel on slopes

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Kirby can use his horizontal up-B (the Cutter dash) into a sloped surface to cancel it with very low ending lag; it look like it cancels into the standard empty landing animation, which is 4 frames long (I'm almost certain it does, but without frame advance I can't be 100% sure).

Because you drift left or right if you hold that direction during the startup of Final Cutter, the timing with which you perform the forwards input affects how far into the slopes you are able to go before the cancel will no longer work (and also allows you to drift forwards or backwards during the startup to position yourself better).

The Cutter dash can be cancelled when you use it into the the upwards sloping parts of the following areas of these stages (I have tested all stages on the front page; they are presented in their order on the stage select screen):

Metal Cavern
• the entire left three quarters of the stage.
Halberd (phase 1)
• once the platform comes out after the first few seconds, from the middle of the stage until halfway up the slopes on either side.
Halberd (phase 2)
[not possible]
Castle Siege (phase 1)
• from the left of the stage until almost all of the way up the slope in the middle of the stage.
Castle Siege (phase 2)
• most of the bump on the left side of the stage
• any part of the stage when the stage is tilted.
Norfair
[not possible]
Dracula's Castle
• the platforms when they are tilted.
Rumble Falls:
• the entirety of the bridge on the main stage (apart from the rightmost plank).
• the edges of the sloped platforms.
Distant Planet
• from the 2 innermost platforms to either of the leaves if someone is standing on them such that the leaf is positioned very slightly above the platform that Kirby is standing on (since the leaves are weighed down by characters on top of them and have a slight bump in the middle).
Yoshi's Island
• the small slopes on the very edges of the stage (requires a late forwards input).
• the middle of the stage in the area between the edges of the top platform (further out than this will make Kirby go from one raised area to another, moving over the slope).
• the top platform when it's tilted (until somewhere between the second and third closest triangles to the edge when the platform is fully tilted).
Lylat Cruise
• the sloped edges of the stage until the point where Kirby is touching one of the bumps where the outermost thrusters are.
Pokémon Stadium 1 (no tranformation)
[not possible]
Pokémon Stadium 1 (fire transformation)
• inside the tree (when using the Cutter dash to the left).
• the crater to the right of the tree (in either direction).
• into the ground from the untransformed edge of the stage (on both the left and right sides).
• into the wooden floor underneath the platform on the right (from either side).
Pokémon Stadium 1 (grass transformation)
• the bush on the right part of the stage (both when standing on the bush itself and from the platform to the left of it).
• both sides of the raised sections on either side of the stage.
Pokémon Stadium 1 (rock transformation)
• the long slope on the cliff.
• both of the tilted platforms in the middle of the stage.
Pokémon Stadium 1 (water transformation)
• the raised wooden section on the left of the stage.
• the small lip on the right of the stage (the untransformed edge of the stage).
• into either of the water jets that hold up the platforms.
Warioware, inc.
[not possible]
Green Hill Zone
[not possible]
Skyloft
• between nearly a full cutter dash length from the left of the stairs in the middle of the stage and the end of the stairs.
• the edges of the platform on the left side of the stage (requires a late forwards input).
• the raised section below the left platform.
Skyworld
[not possible]
Yoshi's Story
• a very small distance into the sloped edges of the stage.
Battlefield
[not possible]
Pokémon Stadium 2
[not possible]
Final Destination
[not possible]
Smashville
[not possible]
Dreamland 64
[not possible]
Fountain of Dreams
[not possible]

Stages where this technique can be performed: Metal Cavern, Halberd (phase 1), Castle Siege (both phases), Dracula's Castle, Rumble Falls, Distant Planet, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1 (all transformations but not the normal form), Skyloft, and Yoshi's Story.

Stages where the technique cannot be performed: Halberd (phase 2), Norfair, Pokémon Stadium 1 (no transformation), Warioware, inc., Green Hill Zone, Skyworld, Battlefield, Pokémon Stadium 2, Final Destination, Smashville, Dreamland 64, and Fountain of Dreams.

As far as application goes, I haven't got very far into thinking about or experimenting with it (and since I don't play Project M very much I probably won't get much further). My immediate thoughts are are a situational recovery mixup, and as an approach (into grabs or tilts most significantly). Metal Cavern (which is legal in my region) and Yoshi's Island are particularly interesting since the technique works on pretty much the entirety of those stages.

This technique has been demonstrated before in this video, though I discovered it independently by accident before I saw the video (and I'm sure plenty of other player have done so as well; I'm just the first one to make a thread about it).
Smashboards thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/old.351347/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4GVJasFI_Y&feature=youtu.be

I may have missed some areas or not described them very well, so please point out any that you find.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
It really mindgames your opponent hard. And lol where does it say that I still have my name as Princ3?

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
In the your video that I linked; I somehow didn't notice that it says "ItsPrinceMarcus presents" at the beginning and it says "by PriNc3" immediately after. What's your name then?
Lol o **** yeah it does lmao... like how did i not remember that. But yeah it was my name heh.

Robbiemas

Smash Rookie
I've been doing this since 3.5 but it actually got nerfed hard with the cutterdash distance nerf in 3.6. You can do this on all stages flat or slanted. Its just super easy to do on slanted ground. Also if someone's getting close to edge and you know that the cutterdash can get behind it, what I do is just drop below, fade back with a jump, and try to cutterdash cancel on the edge into an fsmash offstage. Its really good for turning are the situation on people without experience.

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
I really like doing this tech but it's admittedly not that good against good players. I've been toying around with using cutter dash as a tech chase option against characters with a slow roll, though. It pops them up and you can follow up with an up smash or up air.

OrientalAmazing

Smash Cadet
I really like doing this tech but it's admittedly not that good against good players. I've been toying around with using cutter dash as a tech chase option against characters with a slow roll, though. It pops them up and you can follow up with an up smash or up air.
Woah that sounds sick dude thanks!

Top Bottom