• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Bit of a delayed discovery, but remember when I told you all that NOISE's latest project was the mobile game Hoshi no Dragon Quest Stars?

I saw a few weeks back that it was localized and on the Google Play store. Can't say that I installed and tried the game (mobile ventures aren't quite my thing), but I was also not able to find mention of their name on the app page. Odd, how that works.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yeah I think boosters for a recovery and a pod attack could be cool and likely specials. I think I'd throw in a basic gun attack for his neutral and make either his down or side make use of a bomb. Maybe I'll make a more detailed moveset down the line.

They aren't up to much, but they aren't completely dead. After Custom Robo Arena they made an RPG for the DS and a puzzle game for DSiWare. Then they made a 3DS RPG that looks like a Transformers anime thing (Gyrozetter: Wings Of The Albatross) and most recently they made a Dragon Quest mobile game about two years ago. So it seems they've been developing for Square Enix. And apparently they only have 25 members now. Their non-Custom Robo games are really lacking in information.
Bit of a delayed discovery, but remember when I told you all that NOISE's latest project was the mobile game Hoshi no Dragon Quest Stars?

I saw a few weeks back that it was localized and on the Google Play store. Can't say that I installed and tried the game (mobile ventures aren't quite my thing), but I was also not able to find mention of their name on the app page. Odd, how that works.
I wish I liked RPGs and shooters more. Id have much more mainstream success.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I've looked at their page every now and then to keep tabs on their roster stats and all that.

Nothing really notable to report.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
97973856_2610566149159519_5768310682491551744_o.jpg

If the Geno fanbase can pull this off the Custom Robo fanbase can too. They're not going to just randomly decide to bring the series back. We have to make it known that there is demand for it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Oh, definitely. For a moment there, I thought this was addressing Custom Robo, but alas...
Oh, sorry about that haha. I was just posting that because it proves if enough people contribute, a fanbase can get Nintendo's attention. I think we need to do something similar!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, sorry about that haha. I was just posting that because it proves if enough people contribute, a fanbase can get Nintendo's attention. I think we need to do something similar!
Oh, it's OK. Still, you're right that we should at least try to send Nintendo a letter about C.R. Heck, we kind of already have our feet (back) in the door with Ray MK III getting a Mii Gunner outfit, so they must at least know who we're referring to.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
hey uh i just wanna step by and say i support, custom robo is really cool, i love these brawl-era nintendo characters like ray and isaac

smashkirby

Smash Hero
hey uh i just wanna step by and say i support, custom robo is really cool, i love these brawl-era nintendo characters like ray and isaac
Welcome! It's nice to see there are still people out there who support those poor folks who missed their shot to join Smash.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Custom Robo is the most underappreciated Nintendo series in my opinion. It was the type of game that should have had wide market appeal, but just didn't due to never localizing the N64 games and barely promoting any of the others. Ray 01 from the GameCube game has undoubtedly been my most wanted 1st party character for Smash since Brawl, and it pains me that the Custom Robo series is dead.

I would ask to be added to the support list, but StrangeTamer StrangeTamer seems to have been inactive for a long time. I wish I didn't find this thread so late as I'm curious what all the broken images in the OP were. If anyone can share Smash-style art/renders of Ray, please do. I like to make rosters and mock-ups and stuff on occasion.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Custom Robo is the most underappreciated Nintendo series in my opinion. It was the type of game that should have had wide market appeal, but just didn't due to never localizing the N64 games and barely promoting any of the others. Ray 01 from the GameCube game has undoubtedly been my most wanted 1st party character for Smash since Brawl, and it pains me that the Custom Robo series is dead.

I would ask to be added to the support list, but StrangeTamer StrangeTamer seems to have been inactive for a long time. I wish I didn't find this thread so late as I'm curious what all the broken images in the OP were. If anyone can share Smash-style art/renders of Ray, please do. I like to make rosters and mock-ups and stuff on occasion.
To this day, it still irks that C.R. ended up being one of Nintendo's obscure IPs. I mean, little toy robots fighting? I'd think that would have made them some real bank in the 90's. Then again, the first C.R. game WAS released by the near-literal end of the previous century...

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
What really kills me about some of their dormant IPs is they have massive potential to reach a bigger audience if it wasn't for a lot of strange decisions that were made that had to hinder that

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
What really kills me about some of their dormant IPs is they have massive potential to reach a bigger audience if it wasn't for a lot of strange decisions that were made that had to hinder that
Yeah, I get what you mean. I have to admit, Nintendo didn't screw up with Custom Robo as bad as they did with Chibi-Robo, but still.

Though, I wonder... Custom Robo had a movement that was trying to get him in Smash. Has anyone been on the Twitter related to it?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Not to my knowledge, though I've been busy doing other Smash-Related campaigning that's kept me from really doing much else.

--------------------

Also...uh...I guess it is time for a NOISE update:

In Early-Mid 2019, they had approximately 26 employees. This has remained true as of April 2020. Here is the breakdown of their composition as per their website:

Two Directors
Three Project Planners
Twelve Programmers
Eight Designers
One "General Affairs" position; a secretary/receptionist perhaps?

--------------------

Interestingly enough, which was not the case last time I checked it out, but NOISE now has a list of their main clients (they state it is in alphabetical, I suppose via the original language it is?). The first three listed are NHN Playarts (for mobile games and online portal games), Gamestudio (unknown), and Square Enix (Due to Dragon Quest Stars, no doubt).

Next up is SEGA oddly enough, finally followed by Nintendo. From there, Bandai Namco is listed (possibly due to Custom Robo being included into Smash?).

But then you have the Pokemon Company listed as a client. I have no idea why this is, but it is something I am now genuinely curious about; There's no products it has been listed as making or assisting in...it makes me wonder if NOISE has helped out in any of the recent Pokemon mobile games.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not to my knowledge, though I've been busy doing other Smash-Related campaigning that's kept me from really doing much else.

--------------------

Also...uh...I guess it is time for a NOISE update:

In Early-Mid 2019, they had approximately 26 employees. This has remained true as of April 2020. Here is the breakdown of their composition as per their website:

Two Directors
Three Project Planners
Twelve Programmers
Eight Designers
One "General Affairs" position; a secretary/receptionist perhaps?

--------------------

Interestingly enough, which was not the case last time I checked it out, but NOISE now has a list of their main clients (they state it is in alphabetical, I suppose via the original language it is?). The first three listed are NHN Playarts (for mobile games and online portal games), Gamestudio (unknown), and Square Enix (Due to Dragon Quest Stars, no doubt).

Next up is SEGA oddly enough, finally followed by Nintendo. From there, Bandai Namco is listed (possibly due to Custom Robo being included into Smash?).

But then you have the Pokemon Company listed as a client. I have no idea why this is, but it is something I am now genuinely curious about; There's no products it has been listed as making or assisting in...it makes me wonder if NOISE has helped out in any of the recent Pokemon mobile games.
Ah, really? Do you think you'll ever look into the C.R. for Smash Twitter again?

Also, I'm legit surprised at all this stuff NOISE has apparently been doing over the years. I mean, it's nice to see they're still in business.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I work twelve hour shifts, and I also run the Assist Alliance twitter as one of the group's primary admins. Couple this with my own personal hobbies and life and...I'm a little booked on that front I'm afraid.

But I still wonder if NOISE helped to work on Pokemon Cafe Mix.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I work twelve hour shifts, and I also run the Assist Alliance twitter as one of the group's primary admins. Couple this with my own personal hobbies and life and...I'm a little booked on that front I'm afraid.
Oh, excuse me then.:urg:

But I still wonder if NOISE helped to work on Pokemon Cafe Mix.
Huh, no one's been able to pinpoint on that one yet?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I know this is a double post, but no one has posted here since September so I figured it was fine.

I have a strangely specific request. I was replaying custom robo gamecube today and thought that scene where Ernest "runs away" from the steel hearts employees when they ask for a raise by scooting his chair back and through the door would make a fantastic "I'm out" gif. Does that already exist, and if not does anyone have the ability to make it? I'd do it myself but I don't have a capture card.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
It’s been a long time. So, this user on Twitter has been making Super Robot Wars stats for select series for a while now. One of the series in question is our beloved Custom Robo.
I can’t guarantee any more posts from here on out, but it was nice posting here again. :’)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It’s been a long time. So, this user on Twitter has been making Super Robot Wars stats for select series for a while now. One of the series in question is our beloved Custom Robo.
I can’t guarantee any more posts from here on out, but it was nice posting here again. :’)
Wow, this is pretty on-point! Honestly, I kind of want Custom Robo to be a guest franchise in Super Robot Wars now!

This explains why Custom Robo franchise died.
Well, I wouldn't say that NGL not touching Custom Robo was precisely the reason.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
What i really meant was not building a big enough western fan-base killed Custom Robo
Ah, I see. OK, that's fair. I feel like Battle Revolution was on the right track, but maybe Japan wasn't too big on the 'gritty, overly-futuristic' angle?

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Last day, last chance for a piece of Custom Robo fanart on this thread. How about a fan made “BrickHead” of Ray Mk. III to see us out?
Evidently, the addition of N64 games to Switch Online means that the original two games are coming to the service, albeit only in Japan. But considering the region-free nature of the Switch and its online service, it may be a little easy to work around that region-exclusivity problem.
I’ll admit, it’s been fun talking Custom Robo on here with you guys. But for now, I’ll just leave this song here and say “adieu.”
So long, and thanks for all the Robos.

Top Bottom