• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey fellas I made this fan art for my Isaac bros and I will share it here too. I really hope this series will get revived either under a new name or maybe possibly nintendo will consider letting ray into smash after that mii costume we got.
The Forgotten Four.jpg

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Man, it's been awhile since I posted here or been in Smashboards overall.

Just passing by to say that as I said in a previous post that World of Light has been beaten and attempted again on hard difficulty and boi it's it a fun time (good and bad, believe it or not). Dealing with many spirits including the Robos was a a blast, no pun there.

The reveals in these last weeks being great with The Hero and Banjo and for us fans of robots and mechs: Daemon X Machina AND Astral Chain look so DAMN good.

I am certainly trying to get both games now. Not Custom Robo but attention to the robotic elements is appreciated.

Hopefully there are people excited for these two games as much as me here since they deserve attention.

:bowser:.

Last edited:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
For anyone who doesn't know, there's going to be a CEO side event for a Custom Robo tournament on June 28th. Make sure you guys tune in if you want to see some high level Custom Robo gameplay and to support the community.

Here's the trailer:
https://youtu.be/1FikbIMOLvs

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Wait.

There's a competitive Custom Robo scene? That's awesome.

:cool:.
Yeah, it's amazing that people still come together play an old game like Battle Revolution to this day. Just goes to show how special this series is and what it means to it's fans.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Yup, I've been following the Competitive Community for a bit. You can find out more about the community by looking up the Competitie Discord...I think we put a link up to it a few pages back? Also been busy on a side project, but that's neither here nor there. Also the acquisition of money.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
That is nice. Guess some games manage to maintain themselves alive with competitive scenes and Custom Robo is thankfully a part of it.

Guessing that's where Illegal parts are actually Illegal~

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
That is nice. Guess some games manage to maintain themselves alive with competitive scenes and Custom Robo is thankfully a part of it.

Guessing that's where Illegal parts are actually Illegal~

Yeah, it is a beautiful sight to see such an old game that DOESN’T have a well known and supported competitive community (hint, hint) still get tournament play to this day.
And yes, Illegal parts now have to live up to that moniker for the sake of good sportsmanship.
“Alright, I want a nice clean fight, no illegal parts, no dirty blows, may the best piece of tin win!” (CLANG!):4pacman:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Sounds like a lot of fun, not going to lie. Still pleased that attention is coming to the franchise.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like every once in a while I stumble into the Custom Robo thread just to ask what Noise is even up to. But not this time.

This time I'll ask: is Noise even still a thing?

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
I feel like every once in a while I stumble into the Custom Robo thread just to ask what Noise is even up to. But not this time.

This time I'll ask: is Noise even still a thing?
Well, they’re still listed as active (although with 25 employees as of 2016...), and their last game, as far as we know, is Gyrozetter for the 3DS, and they developed that with Square-Enix.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
A Custom Robo fighter has always been and will always be my most wanted in smash by far. Unfortunately, due to the series being dead, I don't include it on my list of "characters with a chance". I haven't come by to support much because of it.

That said, this thread seems to be more active than I thought it would be. Is there anything interesting going on? Is there any sort of redeeming factor that makes a Custom Robo fighter a legitimate possibility?

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, that has been discussed on the pages prior to this one a fair amount and it has been decided that there's potential. Only issue is that the franchise has been stagnant for a while, since the DS era to be exact.

Maybe one day Nintendo might give the series the attention it deserves but for now there's nothing.

The closest thing to it are the upcoming Daemon X Machina which looks BADASS. And Astral Chain for it's Mecha designs/futuristic elements.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
A Custom Robo fighter has always been and will always be my most wanted in smash by far. Unfortunately, due to the series being dead, I don't include it on my list of "characters with a chance". I haven't come by to support much because of it.

That said, this thread seems to be more active than I thought it would be. Is there anything interesting going on? Is there any sort of redeeming factor that makes a Custom Robo fighter a legitimate possibility?
Noise is still alive and kicking so there's a slim chance the series could come back at some point. With the Switch I think anything could happen.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
There is a Custom Robo Netplay Discord, yes. The server is focused on competitive Custom Robo Gameplay, primarily with Custom Robo Battle Revolution, but also has conversations related to general Custom Robo discussion...and some on the upcoming game Synaptic Drive (which is being made by Custom Robo's original creator). You can access the server here.

As for the nature of the status of NOISE? Last thing they worked on was a Dragon Quest Mobile game called Hoshi no Dragon Quest Stars, which is a Japanese Exclusive. Prior to that, they made a kumamon mobile game, then Gyrozetters...and re-released Custom Robo V2 to the Wii-U Virtual Console in 2016. S Sunny-Zee 's information about their employee size is both accurate and out of date: Their most recent numbers are Twenty-Six employees, as of March 2019. Back in April of 2018, they had Twenty-Seven employees. They have been in constant fluxuation between 25-28 employees for the past few years, likely due to taking on contract workers when needing extra muscle, while also having room for Full-Time employees. They are still looking to hire Planners, Programmers, and Designers on a Part-Time or Contractual basis before moving them to full-time.

...At this point, I don't need Japanese to navigate their website. Also, This Link will take you to my January post about the State of Noise. Note too much has changed, but it's always nice to look back to my big word walls.

--------------------

Sigran101 Sigran101 , the founder of the page is not around and I cannot take control of the post. However, you're always free to continue talking about Custom Robo, right here, with us!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There is a Custom Robo Netplay Discord, yes. The server is focused on competitive Custom Robo Gameplay, primarily with Custom Robo Battle Revolution, but also has conversations related to general Custom Robo discussion...and some on the upcoming game Synaptic Drive (which is being made by Custom Robo's original creator). You can access the server here.

As for the nature of the status of NOISE? Last thing they worked on was a Dragon Quest Mobile game called Hoshi no Dragon Quest Stars, which is a Japanese Exclusive. Prior to that, they made a kumamon mobile game, then Gyrozetters...and re-released Custom Robo V2 to the Wii-U Virtual Console in 2016. S Sunny-Zee 's information about their employee size is both accurate and out of date: Their most recent numbers are Twenty-Six employees, as of March 2019. Back in April of 2018, they had Twenty-Seven employees. They have been in constant fluxuation between 25-28 employees for the past few years, likely due to taking on contract workers when needing extra muscle, while also having room for Full-Time employees. They are still looking to hire Planners, Programmers, and Designers on a Part-Time or Contractual basis before moving them to full-time.

...At this point, I don't need Japanese to navigate their website. Also, This Link will take you to my January post about the State of Noise. Note too much has changed, but it's always nice to look back to my big word walls.

--------------------

Sigran101 Sigran101 , the founder of the page is not around and I cannot take control of the post. However, you're always free to continue talking about Custom Robo, right here, with us!
Hold up, is Custom Robo V2 available on the eShop in English?

Technomage

Smash Champion
If we do get Ray as a playable character, I'd hope we'd get Annie as either an echo or an alternate costume. :p

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Hold up, is Custom Robo V2 available on the eShop in English?
No, it was actually the only jp exclusive 64 game on Wii vc, although you can get the game by hacking your Wii (you just won't be able to play it unless you can read Japanese). To this day V2 has not been translated in English, but an unofficial translation is currently being worked on.

Edit: just realized the post you were responding to was talking about Wii u, but the same thing applies for V2 on the VC there too.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
No, it was actually the only jp exclusive 64 game on Wii vc, although you can get the game by hacking your Wii (you just won't be able to play it unless you can read Japanese). To this day V2 has not been translated in English, but an unofficial translation is currently being worked on.

Edit: just realized the post you were responding to was talking about Wii u, but the same thing applies for V2 on the VC there too.
Damn. I thought I was going to be able to play a Custom Robo game I've never tried yet.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Well the original custom robo on 64 received an unofficial translation not too long ago if you haven't played that.
Where can I get that? Do they have it on an actual cartridge like Mother 3? Or is it emulator only?

Last edited:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
With extra DLC confirmed, I think a Custom Robo rep has a very slight chance. If they want to add new Nintendo IPs and assist trophies aren't being upgraded, then Custom Robo is probably very high on the list, right behind Rythm Heaven. And where Sakurai considered the idea before, maybe with the new dlc he'll revisit old ideas like CR and Geno. I'm not counting on it, but here's hoping!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
With extra DLC confirmed, I think a Custom Robo rep has a very slight chance. If they want to add new Nintendo IPs and assist trophies aren't being upgraded, then Custom Robo is probably very high on the list, right behind Rhythm Heaven. And where Sakurai considered the idea before, maybe with the new dlc he'll revisit old ideas like CR and Geno. I'm not counting on it, but here's hoping!
Honestly, I'm glad someone's saying it. I've been looking for this thread just to spread the good news that Sakurai HAS confirmed that we ARE getting additional DLC AFTER the Fighter's Pass characters are wrapped up. I agree that Ray (or anyone from Custom Robo, for that matter) still has a chance for Smash.

That said, I think we might want to try pushing a bit harder for Ray than before. I get that the misinformation regarding Ninty losing the rights to CR might have caused... more damage than we thought, but that just means we need to push even harder than before. Maybe we could take a page from the Isaac supporters?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Honestly, I'm glad someone's saying it. I've been looking for this thread just to spread the good news that Sakurai HAS confirmed that we ARE getting additional DLC AFTER the Fighter's Pass characters are wrapped up. I agree that Ray (or anyone from Custom Robo, for that matter) still has a chance for Smash.

That said, I think we might want to try pushing a bit harder for Ray than before. I get that the misinformation regarding Ninty losing the rights to CR might have caused... more damage than we thought, but that just means we need to push even harder than before. Maybe we could take a page from the Isaac supporters?
Honestly, this is the first time I've ever given Ray a real chance. Until now, I've thought of a custom robo rep as so unlikely that I didn't count it among my most wanted in realistic lists. But Ray always has been and always will be my #1 for smash.

And yeah, the main difference between custom robo's position and Golden Sun's position is volume. But now Isaac is an assist trophy, which could bump Ray up above him. We should do something to let Sakurai and Nintendo know that fans still love Custom Robo.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
And yeah, the main difference between custom robo's position and Golden Sun's position is volume. But now Isaac is an assist trophy, which could bump Ray up above him. We should do something to let Sakurai and Nintendo know that fans still love Custom Robo.
Precisely. While I do support Isaac and really hope he'll be added to Smash one day, I can't deny that Ray NOT being an AT this time around is something I feel we REALLY need to take advantage of. I mean, the Isaac thread is STILL buzzing after all of this time despite the Golden Boy himself returning as an AT for Smash Ultimate.

Let's not forget that Sakurai even gave us a Ray MK III outfit for the Mii Gunner. I personally took that as a sign that Sakurai wanted to throw us CR fans a bone (after our rather odd lack of content during Smash 4) and/or Ray did better on the Smash Ballot than we thought.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Btw, several big discord servers are doing a joint character poll, including Sabi's discord, Papageno's and Scott the Woz's. Get in there and rep Custom Robo!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

At least the C.R. trademark thing hasn't totally killed off the C.R. fandom. Heck, I bet this is due to the Ray Mk III Mii outfit in Ultimate for that matter.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
For those who missed out on Sakurai himself saying this during the Terry Bogard presentation.

I feel like this quote can very easily apply to Ray, whose franchise is pretty dead in the water right now.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
For those who missed out on Sakurai himself saying this during the Terry Bogard presentation.

I feel like this quote can very easily apply to Ray, whose franchise is pretty dead in the water right now.
If Ray gets in I can die happy. I was a Ridley and K Rool crusader, Joker was my pipe dream, and for a while Banjo was my big want. Now I'm a Geno guy. But Ray will always be my true most wanted. Custom Robo is basically my favorite thing that humans have made. I've played the gamecube one and Arena at least over 40 or 50 times each. I'll just play through them 3 or 4 times in a row without switching to another game. I don't want to hope for Ray because I know he's not happening, but damn it if this doesn't make me dream a little.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
If Ray gets in I can die happy. I was a Ridley and K Rool crusader, Joker was my pipe dream, and for a while Banjo was my big want. Now I'm a Geno guy. But Ray will always be my true most wanted. Custom Robo is basically my favorite thing that humans have made. I've played the gamecube one and Arena at least over 40 or 50 times each. I'll just play through them 3 or 4 times in a row without switching to another game. I don't want to hope for Ray because I know he's not happening, but damn it if this doesn't make me dream a little.
Put Ray in Smash and give us an HD remake of Battle Revolution on Switch and I’m basically satisfied with video games

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of interested to see what will happen if Synaptic Drive sells well...might push the good lads at NOISE into considering another attempt at a Custom Robo.

...I don't like to admit it, but giving the series a 'Fire Emblem' touch to it's design (namely characters) might just help it sell a little better. Do that, and maybe we'll one day see Ray? Uncertain, the future is.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Do any of you feel like Ray (and Custom Robo as a whole) is still facing that 'trademark' issue from a few years ago? I mean, like people still believing the series has no shot for something meaningful in Smash? Though, I'd think the Mii Gunner outfit for Ray MK III would prove otherwise...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Do any of you feel like Ray (and Custom Robo as a whole) is still facing that 'trademark' issue from a few years ago? I mean, like people still believing the series has no shot for something meaningful in Smash? Though, I'd think the Mii Gunner outfit for Ray MK III would prove otherwise...
Nah, the costume definitely killed all doubt, and we did do a good job of spreading the word about what the trademark did and didn't mean.

Top Bottom