• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Man, the thought of Ray getting resized in Smash just... throws me off so much. As most of us know, the Custom Robos (Ray included) are (canonically) 8-10 cm. tall. Yet, in regards to Smash, I can't help but picture Ray being about as tall as Samus or Link.
Hey man, if either ray mk 3 or ray 01 are taller than olimar, youd be hearing it from me.

Im mostly kidding, because that would mean a CR rep in smash and id be too happy to care

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey man, if either ray mk 3 or ray 01 are taller than olimar, youd be hearing it from me.

Im mostly kidding, because that would mean a CR rep in smash and id be too happy to care
Right there with you, pal! I mean, I guess the size wouldn't bother me either way, but still. When I think about it now though, Ray being as small as he was in Brawl would be too hard to see on-screen, wouldn't he?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
*Deep Inhale*

But Custom Robos are canonically 4-5x (8-10cm) the size of Olimar (2cm), yo.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
And :ultlittlemac:looked completely different when he finally became playable, so I hardly see what the point is.
That leads me to ask: what is the relative size change from the assist trophy to playable character? is Mac the same size from brawl to playable character in Smash for Wii U?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I think he was mildly scaled up from his promotion, and I think the same would be done for a Custom Robo.

...Not that I think a Custom Robo should be five times Olimar's size (Sweet Lord he'd be bigger than Ridley), but making them taller than Olimar would be important for the character consistency of Smash Bros: where everyone (largely) retains their proper proportions to be true to themselves while also being able to fit in the same world together.

The main outliers of this are the Pokemon, Olimar, R.O.B. and Ridley...but, for the most part, characters within the same series feel consistent with each other (E. Kirby characters), and characters of a similar style (See: 'normal humans') fit together the way you'd think they would.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to mention here (while in the middle of World of Light-ing the game, so close to beating it), that any size for a CR rep would be welcomed. The robo would look cool regardñess of size. I do not have a preferred size for it but any one that hypotetically is chosen is fine.

:bowser:.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I'm so glad someone posted so I wouldn't double post.

In my insanity, and something I've been meaning to do for awhile, I compiled as many of the character's canonical heights as possible (With some being more approximations)...and then measured all of them to their scale in the world of Super Smash Bros. The link to my madness is here. I also included some DLC Prospects, but they're unfinished (naturally). Author's Notes exist for both sections.

----------------

As stated prior, most characters within their own series (Looking at you, Pichu) are consistent within themselves, As are characters of a similar art style (looking at you, Dark/Pit). While I'm 100% down with a robo of any height, it's the proportions of the Robo in question that I believe delegate how tall they should be: anywhere between Toon Link (1.3-1.4 Smash Cubes) to Samus, (1.85 Smash Cubes) looks ideal to me...which covers a lot of ground, really.

Olimar, Kirby, and Meta Knight (discounting Cape Collar; focusing on body not clothing) are tied for the smallest character at 0.9 Smash Cubes (If you cut off Pichu's ears, they would be the smallest at 0.8). Making a Robo smaller than this would be...Well? Interesting, at best. I'd be curious to see how they'd perform.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Passing by to mention here (while in the middle of World of Light-ing the game, so close to beating it), that any size for a CR rep would be welcomed. The robo would look cool regardless of size. I do not have a preferred size for it but any one that hypothetically is chosen is fine.

:bowser:.
Good luck finishing WoL! Also, I agree with you that as long as it doesn't look TOO unfitting (I'm willing to let Sakurai take a few creative liberties here), I'd be OK with Ray being any size, really.

I'm so glad someone posted so I wouldn't double post.

In my insanity, and something I've been meaning to do for awhile, I compiled as many of the character's canonical heights as possible (With some being more approximations)...and then measured all of them to their scale in the world of Super Smash Bros. The link to my madness is here. I also included some DLC Prospects, but they're unfinished (naturally). Author's Notes exist for both sections.

----------------

As stated prior, most characters within their own series (Looking at you, Pichu) are consistent within themselves, As are characters of a similar art style (looking at you, Dark/Pit). While I'm 100% down with a robo of any height, it's the proportions of the Robo in question that I believe delegate how tall they should be: anywhere between Toon Link (1.3-1.4 Smash Cubes) to Samus, (1.85 Smash Cubes) looks ideal to me...which covers a lot of ground, really.

Olimar, Kirby, and Meta Knight (discounting Cape Collar; focusing on body not clothing) are tied for the smallest character at 0.9 Smash Cubes (If you cut off Pichu's ears, they would be the smallest at 0.8). Making a Robo smaller than this would be...Well? Interesting, at best. I'd be curious to see how they'd perform.
My goodness, the research you've done on a Robo's size being in Smash... it's almost maddening...

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Almost? I'd have hoped my madness was clear at this point.

But yes, making a character shorter than 0.9 Smash Cubes might be a little...much, to be honest, especially when you consider how slim a Robo like Ray-01 or Ray MKlll is; they'd have to be made wider to be a bigger, more recognizable target.

- Going a little farther, a common Pikmin (Red, Yellow, or Blue), stands at approximately 0.55 Smash Cubes when discounting their stem and bulb/flower. Counting those, they stand roughly 1.0 Smash Cubes in height. Olimar, at his peak and discounting hair and suit, is a horrendously small 0.4 Smash Cubes (and, remember, is tied for smallest character). And his Pikmin are around 0.3, discounting stems...Imagine a character small than 0.9 Smash Cubes, at their base...but then can they get a Mini Mushroom.

- Within Smash Ultimate, the Mii Gunner, while wearing the Ray MKlll costume, stands at 1.6 Smash Cubes when discounting their helmet/head spikes (Since, technically speaking, it is their head and not a helmet/hair/ETC). Accounting for the head, they stand at roughly 1.9 Smash Cubes. This would make them approximately the size of Captain Falcon at his peak height.

-------------

But, as we all know, the proportions are off for the Mii Gunner Costume. It is made to fit the Mii, and the Mii is not accurate to the source material:

- The head is too big.
- The limbs, chiefly the legs, should be longer.
- Miis do not have necks. They're like Owls. It's scary. Nintendo, help. I'm afraid.

Take this stuff into account, using the Smash Ultimate Costume as a base, and knowing that Ray Models in-universe are slim-but-not-scrawny (They've got that thicker V-shaped torso that you see on heroic characters, kinda like Captain Falcon.), and a rough estimate of Toon Link Height to Samus/Captain Falcon Height is sound. You counteract their thinness with height...otherwise a thin and small target is...a nightmare, especially if they move quickly. Whereas a small and thick target is not accurate to what a Ray Model is, being among the taller robos and being thin and human-esque with, arguably, a heroic build.

...Also, anyone know how to get pictures off a switch? I've been taking comparison shots this whole time.

Last edited:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
What does everyone think the most accurate moveset is for the Ray mii gunner? I've been using 2232: Laser Blaze to represent guns, Gunner Missile to represent bombs, up special could be any of them really, and Bomb drop to represent pods.

Rayleigh Rayleigh Make a twitter account and link it to your Switch so you can upload your images online.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
...Twitter isn't worth it.

Also I updated the sheet with more information on characters who are wanted and are assist trophies. I hate Skull Kid now.

I'd say that works for a Mii Gunner build, though I've been using the flame pillar as a type of close-range bomb and the charge gun because...well, because I'm lazy. But, for accuracy, 22X2 is about the most accurate as you'll get.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Miis do not have necks. They're like Owls. It's scary. Nintendo, help. I'm afraid.
If Bob Dylan got a Nobel Prize for Literature then this quote should nab you one for sure.

The rest of the madness was great as well. Very much appreciated.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
...Twitter isn't worth it.

Also I updated the sheet with more information on characters who are wanted and are assist trophies. I hate Skull Kid now.

I'd say that works for a Mii Gunner build, though I've been using the flame pillar as a type of close-range bomb and the charge gun because...well, because I'm lazy. But, for accuracy, 22X2 is about the most accurate as you'll get.
I really dislike social media too, but you can literally just use your account to store your pictures and videos online and share them easily with other people on other sites, just don't follow anyone. I made a twitter just for this and it works great.

I don't think Skull Kid had/has much of a shot to make it in, and I'm saying that as a huge Zelda and Majora's Mask fan.

If we're talking most practical mii gunner it would be Charge Shot with Gunner Missile, the missile really helps with landing the charge shots. As for UpB and DownB, I would say the mii gunner is the most versatile mii because it has multiple good options for both.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'm neutral to indifferent on most characters, I just picked a few whose names I see often and those with assist trophies in game. Skull Kid is a nightmare to try and measure, and this is coming from the guy who spent twenty minutes going frame-by-frame trying to do it!

Also, I'ma pleb and use reflector for down B. Bomb Roll isn't that useful to me TBH.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Almost? I'd have hoped my madness was clear at this point.

But yes, making a character shorter than 0.9 Smash Cubes might be a little...much, to be honest, especially when you consider how slim a Robo like Ray-01 or Ray MKlll is; they'd have to be made wider to be a bigger, more recognizable target.

- Going a little farther, a common Pikmin (Red, Yellow, or Blue), stands at approximately 0.55 Smash Cubes when discounting their stem and bulb/flower. Counting those, they stand roughly 1.0 Smash Cubes in height. Olimar, at his peak and discounting hair and suit, is a horrendously small 0.4 Smash Cubes (and, remember, is tied for smallest character). And his Pikmin are around 0.3, discounting stems...Imagine a character small than 0.9 Smash Cubes, at their base...but then can they get a Mini Mushroom.

- Within Smash Ultimate, the Mii Gunner, while wearing the Ray MKlll costume, stands at 1.6 Smash Cubes when discounting their helmet/head spikes (Since, technically speaking, it is their head and not a helmet/hair/ETC). Accounting for the head, they stand at roughly 1.9 Smash Cubes. This would make them approximately the size of Captain Falcon at his peak height.

-------------

But, as we all know, the proportions are off for the Mii Gunner Costume. It is made to fit the Mii, and the Mii is not accurate to the source material:

- The head is too big.
- The limbs, chiefly the legs, should be longer.
- Miis do not have necks. They're like Owls. It's scary. Nintendo, help. I'm afraid.

Take this stuff into account, using the Smash Ultimate Costume as a base, and knowing that Ray Models in-universe are slim-but-not-scrawny (They've got that thicker V-shaped torso that you see on heroic characters, kinda like Captain Falcon.), and a rough estimate of Toon Link Height to Samus/Captain Falcon Height is sound. You counteract their thinness with height...otherwise a thin and small target is...a nightmare, especially if they move quickly. Whereas a small and thick target is not accurate to what a Ray Model is, being among the taller robos and being thin and human-esque with, arguably, a heroic build.

...Also, anyone know how to get pictures off a switch? I've been taking comparison shots this whole time.
Man, all this talk makes me want Ray in Smash SO freakin' badly right now...

What with all the hints that NOISE has a bigger staff now, and no CR representation outside of Ray MK III's Mii Gunner outfit and some Spirits here and there, I want to be hopeful...

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Well lads, the good folk at Assist Alliance are having a Character Creation Contest.

So, naturally, I'm now stuck here working on a good ol' Ray-01 moveset again...and the more I do this, the more I realize Bayonetta is a good basis to work off of. That's weird, right? That's weird. Yeah.

But for real, I had never realized how her mechanics are a good inspiration for a character that features heavy gunplay. Sure, you have Megaman and even the Mii Gunner, but that's not fully the type of gameplay I think a Custom Robo rep would be all about, y'know? Though now I'm imagining Ray MKlll doing the Bayonetta taunts and I'm concerned for what is left of my mind.

In other news, NOISE still looks to be hiring more people. No update towards their current staffing numbers though.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well lads, the good folk at Assist Alliance are having a Character Creation Contest.

So, naturally, I'm now stuck here working on a good ol' Ray-01 moveset again...and the more I do this, the more I realize Bayonetta is a good basis to work off of. That's weird, right? That's weird. Yeah.

But for real, I had never realized how her mechanics are a good inspiration for a character that features heavy gunplay. Sure, you have Megaman and even the Mii Gunner, but that's not fully the type of gameplay I think a Custom Robo rep would be all about, y'know? Though now I'm imagining Ray MKlll doing the Bayonetta taunts and I'm concerned for what is left of my mind.

In other news, NOISE still looks to be hiring more people. No update towards their current staffing numbers though.
Bayonetta does sound like a good fit. If only by process of elimination.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice

I'd certainly throw my moveset into the ring for that.

Size: Small
Weight: Heavy

Jumps: None, his gimmick would be having an Air Dash instead. He can still jump off the ground.

Jab: Knuckle Gun - High Damage, Floaty Stun, Decimates Shields
F-Tilt: Basic Gun - 3 shot gun that acts similarly to Mega Man's buster, except it must fire all three shots. Knockback is a bit more significant as well.
D-Tilt: I don't know what gun it is, but it's the attack that Ray 01 did to Rakansen at the end of the intro cutscene becasue it's the only time I've ever seen a robo actually crouch. Basically shoots a shot at a shallow upward angle.
U-Tilt: Umbrella Pod: Places Umbrella pods above head that explode almost immediately, disjointed hitbox, excellent anti air.

Dash Attack: Slide Gun: Uses the slide shot mechanic to fire three rounds in front while sliding farther than a luigi wavedash.

Grab: Claw Gun - Extremely long range grab with homing. On the flipside, it lasts until it hits, or hits the edge of the screen, making it EXTREMELY risky from long range.
Z-Air: Claw Gun - Acts more like other character's z-airs in that it can attack, but also tether ledges.

N-Air: Splash Gun: Shoots groups of stationary rounds. For balance purposes, only one set of rounds can be on screen.
F-Air: Basic Gun - Same as F-Tilt, except it transitions into F-Tilt when landing while using it.
D-Air: I don't know what pod it is, but it's another intro cutscene attack, and it's the one Ray 01 does while flipping over Metal Ape. Drops 2 pods below him after flipping over and they explode on contact with opponent or ground.
U-Air: Smash Bomb (heh) - It's a very quick bomb that explodes directly above you. Seems good to me.

F-Smash: Ray's Charge Attack: Yeah this one was obvious. Like the game, it's fully invincible. Long recovery frames make it a risky reversal.
D-Smash: Dual Wave Pods: Just a ridiculous down smash that sends out those lovely green waves in both directions.
U-Smash: Rising Gun: It's a giant gun shot that looks like a huge uppercut, seems like prime up smash material to me.

N-Special: Dragon Gun: It's one of the most, if not THE most, popular guns in the game. Shoot a low homing, powerful shot with that lovely screech we've all come to cherish.
F-Special: Standard Bomb: Hold the button down to aim it horizontally like you would in CR, but it's just a normal arc bomb with a simple explosion. In the air, it flies straight like it would in the game.
U-Special: Acro Bomb/Pod: Either or does the job. Sends you high into the air while putting you into a damage/helpless state, but you don't actually take damage. You can use this to spike opponents.
D-Special: Satellite Pods: Can put up to 2 down. They'll hang in the air and chase anyone close to them that isn't Ray 01. They'll explode after a bit on their own if not bothered.

Final Smash: Wyrm Gun: Since Install-Style final smashes are gone, I figured the most famous illegal part would suffice. Basically a 5 dragon gun width shot that acts similarly to shiek and dark pit's final smash.

The main goal of this was to pay homage to as much of Ray 01's history as possible, as many of the odd techniques CR had, and as many cool parts that had interesting applications when put into smash.

Here's the cutscene in question if you don't know what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-4EwKAGvqQ

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
You should do it, then! More people clamorin' bout ol' Ray (MKlll or -01) the better.

I'm still refining my prior 'EVERYTHING IS GUN' moveset, looking at characters such as Duck Hunt, Mii Gunner, Bayonetta, and Megaman for my examples. Also added in some physical quirks (Such around taking the rebirth animation of the Criminal Robot as a floor attack), realized grabs were odd (Since Grapple Gun isn't really much of a grapple, I decided to go with a bear hug), and then realized I NEEDED MORE GUN.

D

Deleted member

So I've been posting sketches of characters I was hyping during Ultimate's release as a sign of, "I like this character. Hope they can make it in." Here's the good ol' pain-in-the-ass-to-draw Gamecube Ray model.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Top-tier sketch mate.

...and a reminder that GC Ray-01 is a walking safety hazard.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So I've been posting sketches of characters I was hyping during Ultimate's release as a sign of, "I like this character. Hope they can make it in." Here's the good ol' pain-in-the-***-to-draw Gamecube Ray model.

I once attempted this. It... well it didn't look like that. Fantastic job.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I've finally gotten the majority of this moveset plotted out. The link is here.
I decided to look for a way to integrate gunplay into the majority of Ray-01's moves, like Bayonetta, but make the character's overall physical moveset weak-but-defensive in order to emphasis and encourage the usage of Ray-01's gun attacks (which feature increased end-lag, more if used with different guns). Thus, in order to do the most damage, the player needs to know what gun-type to to use where, and when to risk firing shots both from their neutral special and from their follow-up moves. This also serves to keep Ray-01 from being shut out by reflectors, which is another reason why the stun gun was added to Ray-01's gun list. I set the gun change move to Down B, otherwise Kirby's Copy Ability was a problem, and made it useable only on the ground for both balancing and safety reasons: you wouldn't want to hit down on the control stick and accidentally accelerate your fall, right?

Originally I chose the knuckle gun to be among the four options...but that ended up being too cheap of a cop-out (Having a non-projectile extender to your attacks with minimal end-lag?), and so I went with the Stun Gun (which is all of that...but does no damage) as an emergency 'I need to run away' option. I originally planned to shove my favorite gun into the moveset (Blade Gun), but it offered nothing useful and I wanted the gun change to be primarily function versus appearance (hence why the held gun only changes color). If appearance of the gun did change, I might have shoved the blade gun into the moveset...but only as a pure-melee option (save for a slow, sword projectile from neutral-B) that still featured more end-lag but compensated with good damage. I'm still on the fence with Stun Gun, but other gun options are either too gimmicky (Ex. Trap Gun), or cover ground that other guns do (EX. Gatling Gun. Even if the former shoots more bullets...it doesn't provide much that's different...maybe no knockback?).

Also, as Ray-01 is a robot, I incorporated additional mechanical functions into their ability. An example of this would be Ray-01's Rising Attack, which is ripped from the Rebirth animation of Criminal (A Strike Vanisher model from Custom Robo BR). There would also be Neutral Air's roundhouse kick, which is reminiscent of some of the charges used by robos like criminal...and speaking of the Charges, I made Down-Smash into an older Ray's backwards attack...but then made it so you could throw yourself off the side of the stage if you weren't careful. Overall, Ray-01 is a thinking man's character...Like Robin. But with guns...Lots of guns...And explosives...Lots of explosives. Also Wyvern Gun Final Smash. It had to happen. I thought about using the dragon gun as a move, and we all love the sound it makes...but hearing it spammed would ruin the effect, methinks, so...Final Smash of doom.

Item-holding and grabs were difficult, as a Ray-01 holds a weapon in each hand. I had to sacrifice the bomb disappearing to allow them to hold an item, but for grabbing an opponent? I decided on a bear hug...from a pointy robot. Ouch. The throws are basic and mostly revolve around pushing the opponent away to shoot them (results may vary based on your equipped gun), but the Down Throw? Down Throw's for fun.

I decided to go with a Tall Lightweight versus a small heavyweight. Custom Robo are quick, so having a quick, tall, and thin (barring that shoulder-to-shoulder wingspan) target that runs away, drops explosives, and shoots you from varying distances would be annoying and difficult to track if they were as tall as, or shorter than, Captain Olimar...also canonically wrong. By making Ray-01 human-sized, you compensate for it's thin build with a humanoid stature that's easier to track. Ray-01's proportions help when scaling it up to the size of characters like Marth (Who is a middleweight) when compared to other Ray models like Ray MKlll, while it's lightweight status is to make it an easier target to eliminate; Ray-01 is a fighting robot, yes...but it's also a resized (and weaponized) child's toy. You're not meant to last in a close combat brawl, so you evade, shoot, and take risks with your stronger attacks.

I had fun with Ray-01's alternate color palettes. It wouldn't have been fun to make them all variants of the Ray models, so I instead drew mostly from Battle Revolution's lineup. References to Glory, Milky Way, Rakansen, and Rahu were all a must. Ray Warrior was an easier and canonical addition (and useful for a Red Team coloration), and AIRS was just extravagent (and therefore necessary...besides, who doesn't like golden robots?)...Ray MKlll was a soft pick that I felt was a nice final touch, even if my heart was telling me to make a palette swap based off of Halberd (my favorite SV...but we already had a blue robo) or Oil Can (Too similar to Rakansen.).

The Taunts though. Since the protagonist mimics Henry a lot, I figured taking Glory's victory animation would make for a fun side taunt. Up taunt was a boring but safe pick...but Down Taunt? That's the best taunt. That is a display of utter disappointment as to the pathetic demise of your enemies...but also doubles as looking like a reboot animation. Also, you can technically T-Bag people pretty well with your crouch. That wasn't intended but there you go. Four taunts. S-Tier crouch taunt.

Victory animations were simple, but the third is just Ray-01 sliding into view...this is a reference to the FMV introduction, at the climax of the battle.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Welp, I've finally gotten the majority of this moveset plotted out. The link is here.
I decided to look for a way to integrate gunplay into the majority of Ray-01's moves, like Bayonetta, but make the character's overall physical moveset weak-but-defensive in order to emphasis and encourage the usage of Ray-01's gun attacks (which feature increased end-lag, more if used with different guns). Thus, in order to do the most damage, the player needs to know what gun-type to to use where, and when to risk firing shots both from their neutral special and from their follow-up moves. This also serves to keep Ray-01 from being shut out by reflectors, which is another reason why the stun gun was added to Ray-01's gun list. I set the gun change move to Down B, otherwise Kirby's Copy Ability was a problem, and made it useable only on the ground for both balancing and safety reasons: you wouldn't want to hit down on the control stick and accidentally accelerate your fall, right?

Originally I chose the knuckle gun to be among the four options...but that ended up being too cheap of a cop-out (Having a non-projectile extender to your attacks with minimal end-lag?), and so I went with the Stun Gun (which is all of that...but does no damage) as an emergency 'I need to run away' option. I originally planned to shove my favorite gun into the moveset (Blade Gun), but it offered nothing useful and I wanted the gun change to be primarily function versus appearance (hence why the held gun only changes color). If appearance of the gun did change, I might have shoved the blade gun into the moveset...but only as a pure-melee option (save for a slow, sword projectile from neutral-B) that still featured more end-lag but compensated with good damage. I'm still on the fence with Stun Gun, but other gun options are either too gimmicky (Ex. Trap Gun), or cover ground that other guns do (EX. Gatling Gun. Even if the former shoots more bullets...it doesn't provide much that's different...maybe no knockback?).

Also, as Ray-01 is a robot, I incorporated additional mechanical functions into their ability. An example of this would be Ray-01's Rising Attack, which is ripped from the Rebirth animation of Criminal (A Strike Vanisher model from Custom Robo BR). There would also be Neutral Air's roundhouse kick, which is reminiscent of some of the charges used by robos like criminal...and speaking of the Charges, I made Down-Smash into an older Ray's backwards attack...but then made it so you could throw yourself off the side of the stage if you weren't careful. Overall, Ray-01 is a thinking man's character...Like Robin. But with guns...Lots of guns...And explosives...Lots of explosives. Also Wyvern Gun Final Smash. It had to happen. I thought about using the dragon gun as a move, and we all love the sound it makes...but hearing it spammed would ruin the effect, methinks, so...Final Smash of doom.

Item-holding and grabs were difficult, as a Ray-01 holds a weapon in each hand. I had to sacrifice the bomb disappearing to allow them to hold an item, but for grabbing an opponent? I decided on a bear hug...from a pointy robot. Ouch. The throws are basic and mostly revolve around pushing the opponent away to shoot them (results may vary based on your equipped gun), but the Down Throw? Down Throw's for fun.

I decided to go with a Tall Lightweight versus a small heavyweight. Custom Robo are quick, so having a quick, tall, and thin (barring that shoulder-to-shoulder wingspan) target that runs away, drops explosives, and shoots you from varying distances would be annoying and difficult to track if they were as tall as, or shorter than, Captain Olimar...also canonically wrong. By making Ray-01 human-sized, you compensate for it's thin build with a humanoid stature that's easier to track. Ray-01's proportions help when scaling it up to the size of characters like Marth (Who is a middleweight) when compared to other Ray models like Ray MKlll, while it's lightweight status is to make it an easier target to eliminate; Ray-01 is a fighting robot, yes...but it's also a resized (and weaponized) child's toy. You're not meant to last in a close combat brawl, so you evade, shoot, and take risks with your stronger attacks.

I had fun with Ray-01's alternate color palettes. It wouldn't have been fun to make them all variants of the Ray models, so I instead drew mostly from Battle Revolution's lineup. References to Glory, Milky Way, Rakansen, and Rahu were all a must. Ray Warrior was an easier and canonical addition (and useful for a Red Team coloration), and AIRS was just extravagent (and therefore necessary...besides, who doesn't like golden robots?)...Ray MKlll was a soft pick that I felt was a nice final touch, even if my heart was telling me to make a palette swap based off of Halberd (my favorite SV...but we already had a blue robo) or Oil Can (Too similar to Rakansen.).

The Taunts though. Since the protagonist mimics Henry a lot, I figured taking Glory's victory animation would make for a fun side taunt. Up taunt was a boring but safe pick...but Down Taunt? That's the best taunt. That is a display of utter disappointment as to the pathetic demise of your enemies...but also doubles as looking like a reboot animation. Also, you can technically T-Bag people pretty well with your crouch. That wasn't intended but there you go. Four taunts. S-Tier crouch taunt.

Victory animations were simple, but the third is just Ray-01 sliding into view...this is a reference to the FMV introduction, at the climax of the battle.
I really like the format of that, can I steal the format for some of my own devices?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
By all means, man, It's a self-modified variant of the template that the Assist Alliance used for their moveset contest.

----------------

No news about whatever NOISE is up to...but seeing as you have reawoken the thread? What if we all did some sort of Custom Robo moveset contest for ourselves? Bring that topic back.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Anybody thinking we’re due for more than just 5 dlc characters after the fighters pass is over? I’m really hoping so in order for Nintendo to reach out to their dormant franchises for characters. Also was custom robo developed in house at Nintendo or was it 2nd party like golden sun?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Anybody thinking we’re due for more than just 5 dlc characters after the fighters pass is over? I’m really hoping so in order for Nintendo to reach out to their dormant franchises for characters. Also was custom robo developed in house at Nintendo or was it 2nd party like golden sun?
It's like Golden Sun, Custom Robo was developed by NOISE.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If the recent datamines on Smash Ultimate are of any indication, we might just be getting more DLC characters after all (between 15-30 new characters, to be precise).

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
It's possible, given the noted difference between the thirty slot placeholder files, and the WoL 16 slots (now down to 15 due to PP). All other evidence to be seen points to the probability of further DLC being, I'd guess, moderately possible at the highest.

It's still too early to say for certain, as this placeholder data could well change depending on how well the Fighters Pass does or doesn't sell but it's Smash Bros, let's be real here. I'm not about to speculate too hard further, but Custom Robo has as good a shot as most non-deconfirmed characters out there.

EDIT: NOISE Update: They've gone from 27 people in April 2018, to 26 in March 2019. Still hiring though...

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It's possible, given the noted difference between the thirty slot placeholder files, and the WoL 16 slots (now down to 15 due to PP). All other evidence to be seen points to the probability of further DLC being, I'd guess, moderately possible at the highest.

It's still too early to say for certain, as this placeholder data could well change depending on how well the Fighters Pass does or doesn't sell but it's Smash Bros, let's be real here. I'm not about to speculate too hard further, but Custom Robo has as good a shot as most non-deconfirmed characters out there.

EDIT: NOISE Update: They've gone from 27 people in April 2018, to 26 in March 2019. Still hiring though...
Welp, since Custom Robo currently doesn't have any major deconfirmations going on with it right now (I doubt the Spirits and Mii Costume really hurt him), I'd say that Ray is certainly still in the cards.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Alright, count me in. I am always down for more robots in Smash, and short of things like Transformers, MedaBots, and Super Robot Wars getting represented, I am down for an adorable and awesome little robot friend like Ray or Chibi-Robo joining the fight.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Alright, I'm still holding out hope for this guy. I do appreciate the Mii costume which works really well but I think Custom Robo can offer a lot of variability in movesets and stages. I'm currently working on a holosseum stage in Stage Builder.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Have you noticed that the Ray costume seems to be popular in Shared Content?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
It's a pretty good costume; I'd argue that it's one of the higher quality...especially among the Gunner suits, honestly.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
The Ray Mii costume is really appropriate I think. The whole idea about Custom Robo is that you equip weapons that suit the situation. So in turn you can choose whatever moveset combination and it would be appropriate.

Top Bottom