• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
...I've spent the past five hours since your post, Giga Kaiju Giga Kaiju , keeping myself from writing up another one of my brain dumps...about why I hate the Hornet Gun. Unless people want to see that, I think we're good.

Also, AceZTeller AceZTeller , from what I've read, there was a list curated by Nintendo for Sakurai to look over, which he then picked or did not. So...It's possible, but I'm still riding the Mii Costume Hype.
No please, I insist. Tell us exactly where we can shove the hornet gun.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Now I'm hankering for my semi-annual Custom Robo Arena playthrough. It's about that time of year.

I'm really excited to see what Custom Robo content is in the game, now that its return has been heralded by Spirits.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
At this point, go ahead Rayleigh Rayleigh tell the story~

So, with news of Nintendo being at the helm of the choices for the DLC, it is going to be for choices that gather attention for the company than fan choices, maybe.

Customrobo'sRayO1hasanopportunitybois.jpg

:dazwa:.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Now I'm hankering for my semi-annual Custom Robo Arena playthrough. It's about that time of year.

I'm really excited to see what Custom Robo content is in the game, now that its return has been heralded by Spirits.
I feel that mood. I stopped for a bit cuz I couldn't beat the Jameson at the end of the arcade 7 (at least I'm pretty sure it's that one) and I have tried what I think is E V E R Y T H I N G, including the Jameson mirror match. You reminded me to get on that, so I'll figure something out.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So does the new spirit mean 100% that Nintendo still has the copyright and it was renewed?
Yep. People just sort of jumped the gun on Custom Robo's rights being lost by Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, I can't exactly blame them. I mean, C.R. hasn't had a new game (or appeared in ANYTHING, for that matter) in, what? 12 years? Anyways, the trademark thing was in regards to C.R. on the Nintendo Gamecube (Specifically, the disc that contains that game), rather than the series as a whole. Nintendo still owned the rights to the series (and they most likely always will).

That said though, does anyone else find all of this... delightfully ironic? For about a month or so, we've had people (who weren't as informed) fully believe that Nintendo totally lost the rights to Custom Robo. Next thing we know, the final Smash Ultimate direct happens and not only does Custom Robo finally return to the public eye for the first time in nearly a decade via Smash Ultimate (thus revealing to said public that Nintendo DOES still own the rights to the series), but it also ends up getting more representation in that Smash game than in Melee and Brawl combined (Not counting Smash 4 here, as that game seemed to have scrubbed any and all references to C.R. clean from its plate).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yep. People just sort of jumped the gun on Custom Robo's rights being lost by Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, I can't exactly blame them. I mean, C.R. hasn't had a new game (or appeared in ANYTHING, for that matter) in, what? 12 years? Anyways, the trademark thing was in regards to C.R. on the Nintendo Gamecube (Specifically, the disc that contains that game), rather than the series as a whole. Nintendo still owned the rights to the series (and they most likely always will).

That said though, does anyone else find all of this... delightfully ironic? For about a month or so, we've had people (who weren't as informed) fully believe that Nintendo totally lost the rights to Custom Robo. Next thing we know, the final Smash Ultimate direct happens and not only does Custom Robo finally return to the public eye for the first time in nearly a decade via Smash Ultimate (thus revealing to said public that Nintendo DOES still own the rights to the series), but it also ends up getting more representation in that Smash game than in Melee and Brawl combined (Not counting Smash 4 here, as that game seemed to have scrubbed any and all references to C.R. clean from its plate).
Not to mention Chadondorf leak mentioning him as a cut character got quite the attention.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
...I'm putting the hornet dump on the backburner because...uh...it's bigger than Ridley at this point.

-----------

But yes. Not only did Custom Robo receive more representation in Ultimate's direct...but it arguably had more shown for the series than others from that same time frame (Such as Advance Wars and Golden Sun). It's kinda weird, really...but I'm diggin' it.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Now that you put it like that, all things considered CR got a better deal than most with a Mii Costume and some spirits maybe. That is closer to playable than most series can be.

:bowser:.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
I think that Nintendo choosing the DLC affects Ray's chances of being a fighter about the same as if Sakurai were picking the DLC. Many people point out that Nintendo would want to pick characters that promote new games, but we do not know what plans they have for the future. This increased representation in Ultimate out of nowhere could signal the return of Custom Robo as a franchise. At the very least, the n64 classic is inevitable, and the Japanese version would be very likely to include one of the Custom Robo games due to its popularity.

We have to remember that Sakurai did not give any attention to Custom Robo in Smash 4 whatsoever, which means Ray's chances could have been worse if Sakurai was picking the DLC. Maybe he increased the representation because Nintendo has plans for the future.

I feel that mood. I stopped for a bit cuz I couldn't beat the Jameson at the end of the arcade 7 (at least I'm pretty sure it's that one) and I have tried what I think is E V E R Y T H I N G, including the Jameson mirror match. You reminded me to get on that, so I'll figure something out.
I went back to arena recently too, but i'm not sure what other post game content I can do. I remember getting all the parts when I was younger, so I don't know if I should just restart the game or if there are any other things to do. I don't remember the Jameson fight you're talking about though, I might have quit arcade mode early all the time because I thought it was just endless battles with no rewards.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think that Nintendo choosing the DLC affects Ray's chances of being a fighter about the same as if Sakurai were picking the DLC. Many people point out that Nintendo would want to pick characters that promote new games, but we do not know what plans they have for the future. This increased representation in Ultimate out of nowhere could signal the return of Custom Robo as a franchise. At the very least, the n64 classic is inevitable, and the Japanese version would be very likely to include one of the Custom Robo games due to its popularity.
I can only hope you're right about this. I might be straw-grasping here, but those do sound like fairly legit reasons for Ray to be in Smash.

We have to remember that Sakurai did not give any attention to Custom Robo in Smash 4 whatsoever, which means Ray's chances could have been worse if Sakurai was picking the DLC. Maybe he increased the representation because Nintendo has plans for the future.
Again, REALLY hoping you're right about this. After all the representation Custom Robo appears to be getting in Smash Ultimate, I can't help but wonder if this means that it's all leading up to something.

Well, either that or Sakurai just wanted to rep C.R. in full force here to make up for the complete absence of C.R. content in Smash 4.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Again, REALLY hoping you're right about this. After all the representation Custom Robo appears to be getting in Smash Ultimate, I can't help but wonder if this means that it's all leading up to something.

Well, either that or Sakurai just wanted to rep C.R. in full force here to make up for the complete absence of C.R. content in Smash 4.
Yeah, like others mentioned previously, it's insane the level of representation that CR got compared to other franchises at a similar popularity level. So far, we have 3 spirits and a mii costume, and we could potentially have more spirits for different robos across the 5 games.

That is a possible explanation too. Maybe Sakurai didn't get the chance to represent some smaller franchises in 4 due to time constraints and made up for it here in Ultimate.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
It's not just the representation in Ultimate, but the series in general! It is kinda interesting, when you look at the timeframe of Japanese release dates...and also compare it to Custom Robo's...yes, this is another Brain Dump. (Yay?)
---------------

• Smash Bros (64) came out January 21st, 1999. It was developed during 1998.
    • Custom Robo (64) Came out December of 1999, with Custom Robo V2 coming out November 10th 2000.
    • Smash 64 was chiefly about Nintendo's all-stars...and Jigglypuff. With Custom Robo 64 being in development during and after 64's release, there was no chance of inclusion.
  • Smash Bros: Melee came out November 21st, 2001. Melee's hectic development took thirteen months...take a break, Sakurai. Come on.
    • This means it's development began around October 2000. A month before V2 came out. This left the game ripe in the minds of development early on...though perhaps too late for roster inclusion.
      • Lucas had been considered for replacing Ness, but Mother 3's delays (twelve years in development!?) shot that idea out of the water.
      • Snake was thought of but the game was too late into development.
      • Roster was likely decided near the beginning, with a few extra being snuck in at the end as a bonus; AKA Clones AKA Proto-Echoes.
      • Fire Emblem characters had been considered for Japanese-Exclusivity.
      • INB4 Ray technically had a fair chance to be included into Smash Bros Melee.
    • Melee instead featured three trophies from Custom Robo V2, all of them Robos: Ray MKll, Bayonette, and Annie.
  • Custom Robo GX happens in 2002.
  • Custom Robo Battle Revolution comes out in Janurary 2004. Later in May, it introduces Western Audiences to series with a HYPE INTRO, MAN.
  • Custom Robo Arena happens in October 2006. Globally, it comes out in 2007.
Things get more interesting once we get to Brawl.
  • Smash Bros. Brawl happens in 2008. It's development cycle began in October 2005. It was initially going to be released December of 2007 but...delays. Delays never change.
    • According to an interview (though the source looks to be dead), Sakurai became more interested in Japanese-Only characters in that they could get more attention on the global scale.
      • While already an international series for 40% of its titles, this mentality does nothing but help Custom Robo.
    • Both Battle Revolution and Arena look to have missed the mark for entry when it comes to a playable appearance. That said, we still got:
      • Ray MKlll as an assist trophy.
      • Ray MKlll, A cluster of generic Custom Robos, and then both Jameson and AIRS (as a singular unit) as trophies.
      • For Brawl's sticker mechanic, we got Ray-01, Rakhanshen, Big Seal Head, and a Robo cube (all of these with their Battle Revolution appearances) as stickers.
    • For comparison, our brothers-in-arms of the Golden Sun thread got:
      • Issac as an assist trophy. (Arguably, Ray MKlll is more representative to its character than Issac's assist is)
      • Issac as a trophy.
      • No stickers.
      • A real banging tune.
    • And then, our fightin' lads of Advance Wars got:
      • Infantry and Tanks as a singular assist trophy.
      • Infantry and Tanks as a singular trophy.
      • Andy, Max, and Sami as stickers from the first Advance Wars, Hawke, Jake, Rachel as stickers from Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

I bring up both Golden Sun and Advance Wars (Technically Nintendo Wars...but we're specifically talkin' Advance Wars) as we all have our origins around the year 2000 (Custom Robo being 1999, Golden Sun being 2001, and Advance Wars also being 2001, and 2004 in Japan...but Nintendo Wars originates as a franchise in 1988). Our last games were also in the same general time period (2007/2008-V2 Rerelease, 2010, and 2008NA/2014-JP release respectively). For all intents and purposes, I've always considered the three of us as Siblings in Smash, and it's interesting to compare the fluctuating prominence these three series have had within the Smash series.

• The evidence is clear that Custom Robo has had the most representation of the three (Quality of Representation differing, of course), despite being the Middle Child of the two. All three series have been within three games of the Smash series.
    • Custom Robo appeared in Melee, Brawl, and will return in Ultimate after skipping Smash 4.
      • Had it returned in some way for Smash 4, this would make Custom Robo's Smash Attendance 80%!
        • That would make it rival most melee veterans in terms of a returning presence.
    • Nintendo Wars has had no representation outside of the Advance Wars series, with its first debut in Brawl. It's representation rate so far is 60% (Brawl, Smash 4, Ultimate)
    • Golden Sun had a loud first appearance in Brawl...but disappeared in Smash 4 outside of that real bangin' tune we mentioned earlier. So, technically, it's appearance rate is also 60% (Brawl, Smash 4, and Ultimate). But, with such a small showing, a lot of people seem to consider Golden Sun's presence at 40%.

We'll be continuing to compare the three sibling series as we get to the last two games of the series, since none of them have had a new release since Brawl's days (Press F to pay respects):

• Smash 4 (3DS and Wii U) was released in 2014. It's development began in 2012.
    • Custom Robo and Golden Sun (Barring that real bangin' tune) were entirely absent from Smash 4.
      • This led to some people expecting one or the other (Primarily Golden Sun) to appear as DLC when the concept was revealed.
    • Advance Wars returned in the form of the Infantry and Tank as both a normal and an Assist Trophy.
    • DLC came and went in 2015.
  • Smash Ultimate will release in December of 2018 (AKA next month.). It's development began in 2015 following the DLC of Smash 4being finished...but Bandai Namco seems to have had some interesting recruitment forms going up in 2014.
    • Up to the last Direct, None of these three series were shown. Hopes were raised in one or two of these groups (Sorry, Golden Boys), until the final direct came out. From this, we know that:
      • Custom Robo returns in the grandest fashion, bouncing back from absolutely no content in Smash 4, and after people thought it was dead due to the Copyright Controversy. It has the following:
        • A Mii Costume, shown prominently in the trailer.
        • Three known Spirits (Ray MKll, Ray MKlll, Flare)
        • Assist Trophy does not return
      • Golden Sun returns, to a mixed reception. It received the following:
        • The return of Issac as an assist trophy (Sorry, Golden Boys).
          • Functions cool, but not entirely accurate to the character.
        • Two known Spirits (Felix and Matthew).
        • The return of, you guess it: that real bangin' tune.
      • Advanced Wars returns...but it received the following:
        • Removal of the Assist Trophy.
        • Two known Spirits (Eagle and Olaf)

• We then end up with the following time-gaps between each game and the beginning of the next one's development:
    • Smash Bros 64 to Melee: Roughly eleven months.
    • Melee to Brawl: Four years
    • Brawl to Smash 4: Four years and a Kid Icarus game.
    • Smash 4 to Ultimate: IMMEDIATELY.
So, when looking at Ultimate? Custom Robo kind of won out in terms of appearance. Sure we lost our (more faithful) assist trophy, but there's something undeniably charming about that Mii Costume. Golden Sun, meanwhile took a hit to the morale: Issac's upgraded assist trophy is nice, but overall it seems people feel more like its a return to Brawl Status rather than an increase. They got two Spirits of their other protagonists, though; that's cool.

But Advance Wars! Golden Sun remained roughly the same, but Advance Wars suffered a non-standard game over event! They're the ones I'm feeling for the most: They lost their assist trophy, and have two spirits instead. And if spirits are the enhanced replacement of trophies, they're of two people or things (I don't really know the series) I've never heard spoken of.

Here are the lists for all the known Assist Trophies, Spirits and Music in the game so far.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for another cool analysis my doot. Its nice to have some good info lined up in one place. I've cross referenced a few of your posts in the past already.

I'm glad you're all at least a lil positive about a CR rep, but I'll keep being pessimistic. Mostly cuz if it ever does happen, I'll be s o h a p p y.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Rayleigh Rayleigh

Great write-up summarizing similar series representation. I think the three known Custom Robo spirits are Ray Mk II, Flare, and Bayonette though, I don't recall seeing a Ray Mk III spirit yet.

I also consider Sin & Punishment part of the "2000 Brotherhood" as that franchise has had inconsistent releases and representation in smash as well. In Ultimate, S&P had their assist trophy removed, but instead received a Saki mii costume and spirit.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad you're all at least a lil positive about a CR rep, but I'll keep being pessimistic. Mos-

(Also I'm trying to find the picture of the Ray MKlll spirit, but it's on the spirit list...but this bumps us up to FOUR spirits!)

---------------------

I've considered S&P more of a close cousin, since Custom Robo and Advance Wars (and, to a lesser extent Golden Sun) have had multiple games within a more consistent period of time. This contrasts the eight year gap between the two Sin and Punishment games...though the four games have not broken into the 2010's. Still, I guess it's more of a 'Fraternity of Fighters' than being 'Siblings of Smash'. That said, their track record for Smash Attendence is pretty good at 60%, but I'm sure there will be some people upset about the Mii Costume.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
HopeIntensifies.gif
e6BgEwc.gif

I'm kidding! But I really don't think we're gonna get much more in terms of CR in ultimate. I would love to be proven wrong!

In terms of the 2 or 3 other games you brought up, I have heard through the grapevine that Advance Wars would continue if they found a way to introduce waifus, but I digress.

Gonna try and get a gold trophy in every arcade level in Arena, wish me luck Commanders. '-'7

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Yes...when in doubt, save a quality Nintendo Franchise through questionable gameplay design and an influx of waifus. Sass against Fire Emblem Intensifies.

...Then again, I'm the madman saying that a Custom Robo spin-off would be cool, even after saying that a spin-off so late after the last game is a horrible idea.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I mean, recently that seems to be a winning strategy. Add waifus to it. Ex. There is an airing anime right now with giant robots/monsters and it has somewhat cute girls on the side. It is doing fairly alright with audiences. It is called SSSS. GRIDMAN.

And on a potential spinoff. Either release one after CR has returned or release one alongside a newly introduced title.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Cue foaming at the mouth

But yes, having a Federation Force incident, even if the Spin-Off were good, would be a detriment to the series as a whole; last thing either party wants is for the other part to look at the results of such a hypothetical title and say: "Huh, I guess bringing this back was a bad idea? Welp, lets put it back on the shelf."

....Although, I'm now imagining a Custom Robo Kart or a Golden Sun Party...and laughing my head off about it.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
It sounds hilarious but in the long run it would do no good. Rather, it is better to have a possible 'spin-off' alongside a main title. Does more that way.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Unless the series maintains a healthy release of main games or communication with the fanbase.

Honestly, if this was the place? I'd braindump all of my thoughts on the nature of spin-off...ology?

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Go for it. We are discussing the series along Smash. It is fitting for the thread~

IMO, something like one of those gatcha 'thingies' sounds like something CR could be.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Mmmmmm...but first, let's get us some jammin' tunes to funk down to.

---------------------

Alright. So. I've touched on the topic of Sequels and timing before in the thread (actually a fair few times, looking back), and this will all get back to Custom Robo in the end...but in order to get there, I first need to set the stage and give you a series of examples from, well, a series of series! However, what I've come to observe is that the nature of spin-offs, mainly in their reception, depends upon the following four factors:

1) The origin age of the series or franchise
2) The origin point of the first spin-off.
3) The time between the last 'main' game and the next 'main' game.
4) Truthfulness to the nature of the series.

As I go through the following series and franchises, I'll be hearkening back to these four points and showing how the differences in these points affects the reception of Spin-Offs within the examples given.

While Nintendo's main man has his origins in the arcade machines, with Donkey Kong and Mario Bros (Both being highly regarded), I'll be starting off from the game that solidified his legacy: Super Mario Bros. The NES legend released in 1985, with the Japanese sequel coming soon after in 1986, and came to America as Lost Level in 1993 on the Super Mario All-Stars cartridge for the SNES. (America instead got a reskinned Doki Doki Panic as Mario 2 in 1988...you could argue that this is the first Spin-Off, in a way). 1989 saw the first Super Mario World on the Gameboy. 1990 saw the release of Super Mario World on the SNES.

These are the Big 'First Five' for Nintendo's main man, and came out relatively quickly. In 1996, Mario made the jump to 3D...and, well? People were excited for it, and Super Mario 64 remains a beloved and solid game. This then went on to establish a separate 'Core' series within the Mario Franchise: The 2D side-scrollers, which we now have the New! series for, and the 3D Platformers, of which we just got Odyssey a year or so back now.

However, the Mario games near-immediately branched out of their side-scrolling platforming days...and snowballed from there. I wouldn't even begin to try and list every spin-off or side series to emerge from this one singular point, but here's a general highlight real:
  • The Mario Sports Series's
  • The Mario Kart Series
  • The Mario Puzzle Games
  • Mario Paint, represent.
  • The Paper Mario Series (Sorry Paper Pals, maybe you'll get your chance in DLC?)
  • The Donkey Kong Franchise (And all of it's spin-offs)
  • The Yoshi Series (Also Yoshi's Safari...I loved that game.)
  • The One-Offs like Wrecking Crew
  • The Mario vs. Donkey Kong minis games...did anyone play these?
  • I'd be murdered for not mentioning Super Mario RPG.
  • The Mario and Luigi Series
  • The Luigi's Mansion Series.

In 1987, Mega Man graced the NES. From there, we go Mega Man 2 in 1988. We had a nice two year break, then we got Megaman 3 in 1990. But, starting in 1991, we got a new game every year, a port of an older one to the gameboy, and maybe an arcade machine or two. Also Mega Man Soccer in 1994. We don't talk about Mega Man Soccer. Six entries later, with not too much changing when one thinks about it...? People might have been getting a little tired of Mega Man....

But then we got Megaman X in 1993, and all was right with the world. A new sub-series was born.

A year after Mario made the Jump to 3D, Megaman followed in 1997's Megaman Legends (Or, as it was to me back then, Megaman 64). Vastly different, it became a fan favorite and almost received a third numbered entry (get him off the moon, lads!). In 2001, we got the beloved Battle Network series, and in 2002 we got the Zero Series....eeeeeh, we also got ZX and Star Force at some point. But! Within some of these sub-series, there are also spin-offs: X got a turn-based RPG, Battle Network had a Side-Scrolling pseudo Metroidvania. What's more, there was almost almost a Megaman X First Person Shooter (called Maverick Hunter) made by Metroid Prime veterans! ...Though I can't say I like the aesthetic choice for the characters, Getting Bomberman: Act Zero vibes...you don't want Bomberman: Act Zero vibes.

...but comparing Custom Robo to either of those giants is a little unfair...so we'll be turning to smaller franchises for a better comparison. Thankfully, I already brought up my usual whipping boy next example up a few times there.

Metroid graced our CRV-TVs in 1986...we then got Metroid ll in 1991. That's a five year wait. Some might say it was worth the wait...but look at our prior examples! In 1994, we received the beloved Super Metroid....Eight years later, we received rumblings of a new game...which turned out to be two Metroids! Metroid Fusion, which has become a beloved entry into the classic formula, and Samus' first jump into 3D...and the player into the first person; Metroid Prime. Despite the jump to 3D, the game maintained its Metroid Roots (versus going the route of a Megaman Sub-Series) and was regarded well despite its faults. From there we received regular entries in the Metroid Prime Series (also Metroid Pinball, which isn't that bad to be honest.) and even got a boosted Remake of the first Metroid in Metroid: Zero Mission. Following 2007's Metroid Prime 3, we had to wait three years for our next game. That's alright, we waited longer in the past. The next game'll be good-

Metroid: Other M.

Joking aside, it could have been better. I guess? Anyways, Six years later we get Federation Force. With many fans rejecting Metroid: Other M, that puts the wait between two main games (AKA from within the 2D Metroid or the 3D Prime series) up to around ten years...but then we got promised two Metroids just like the good ol' days, with Metroid: Samus Returns (a boosted remake of Metroid ll) being well received and Metroid Prime 4 being highly anticipated.

In our first two examples, The series's expansion into different forms of gameplay, be they as spin-offs, sub-series, or even new franchises was near immediate. In the modern day, you could say that people expect for these two series to have additional spin-offs. If Nintendo were to announce Super Mario Street Hockey, people wouldn't be too surprised...in fact, if it were anything like Super Mario Strikers, people might get excited for it! But, by expanding quickly and diversifying themselves early into their lifespans, the notion of Spin-Offs is expected from them.

In the case of Metroid, there were notable gaps between the initial entries in the series, until we got to 2002. Had Nintendo not released Metroid Fusion (and had Fusion not lived up to Super Metroid) alongside Metroid Prime, the flaws in the later might have been harped upon more than they already are. If reception of Metroid Prime were not up to par...we might not have gotten more of the Prime series, and when you look at the gap that was made between Prime One and Other: M? Eight Years. And if people had rejected Prime One, leaving the gap only between Super Metroid and Other: M? That's Sixteen Years. This would make the pain of a Spin-Off like Federation Force even greater, had the fans been expecting a 'True Metroid' game for so long! What's more, in the modern era, it appears that people are less accepting of Spin-Offs and the gap between a main release and announcing a Spin-Off appears smaller than in past years. Sure, I was just a boy at the time, but I've never really heard of anyone concerned about the oncoming of the first 3D Mario game....but I remember people being concerned about the first 3D Metroid.

-----------------

...I was tempted to bring up more Series for comparisons, including Bomberman, Sonic, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear (oof), but I think I'll keep it simple for now unless people wanted me to keep blowing my brain up.

We return to Custom Robo. I've given the timeline for the series a few times in this thread, but the series has been fairly consistent with its releases (Being roughly one or two years apart), and with GX being the only technical Spin-Off in terms of mechanics (We already discussed canon and timelines back a page or so). The last game was released in 2007 (2006 Japan), making the wait for another entry Eleven years. Compared to Metroid, the closest gap would be between Metroid Prime: Corruption and Metroid: Samus Returns (Eleven years), with Custom Robo's lifetime launch windows looking more like the Metroid series between Fusion and Corruption (AKA released regularly between one or two years apart). To release a Spin-Off like GX would be...reckless, unless it received the pair treatment that Metroid has. Which, naturally, I'd be down for in its entirety...but a single game would be the way to, I warrant: cheaper that way, should it not sell well. So...a Spin-Off at this point is foolish, and a sub-series would be risky without tying it to a core series game I suppose.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Nice review, Rayleigh Rayleigh . That sums how those series are now and can work with spinoffs. CR could too but it might be trickier since there's so little to spin it when it is a fighting third-person fighter with mechs. Well, now that I mention it out there, then it should not be difficult. Just uncommon. Maybe something ala Gundam~? You know, with their vast titles reaching a decent type of both games and overall media. CR is not as huge but it is streamomething to think about in how the series COULD take some inspiration. Or Pacific Rim. Robos vs. Monsters.

Oh ye~

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I can just say that I hope we get another custom robo game someday. We golden sun fans did something called golden sunday where we rallied on twitter to get nintendo's attention to bring back the series so we should plan to do something similarly. It's just a suggestion, but I am not just wanting Golden Sun to return I also want Custom Robo back too!

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm not so sure how a 'Robo Day' would go, but I will say...

...god am I hoping that customization, buildable, robo toy that Sakurai bought is related to Custom Robo in some way or form. That's the hope right there.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
So the entire list of spirits has been datamined and released.

-Flare
-Bayonette
-Ray Mk. II
-Ray Mk. III

No Ray 01 to be seen! It seems to be the general consensus that being a spirit is a deconfirmation, but who knows!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Did we get any music?

All things considered, we got treated fairly nicely this time around. At least, much better than our Advance Wars brethren.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Raise a toast to our fallen brother, lads.

Good to see I wasn't hallucinating on the four spirit count. From what I've seen so far, Custom Robo has no music tracks in the game...which means we should totally keeping shoving music into our posts like the good ol' days of pages 11-13.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Raise a toast to our fallen brother, lads.

Good to see I wasn't hallucinating on the four spirit count. From what I've seen so far, Custom Robo has no music tracks in the game...which means we should totally keeping shoving music into our posts like the good ol' days of pages 11-13.
Yeaaaah, I was hoping for Panic Cube and Heaven at least. But in all fairness, which stages would've fit the songs aesthetically?

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
...Well, since you asked and it's around the usual brain dump time...

No, just kidding. Not really needed.

-------------

When it comes to Custom Robo music, I'd say the following stages would mesh nicely:

- Lylat Cruise (Star Fox, Brawl Stage)
- Port Town Aero Drive (F-ZERO, Brawl Stage)
- Mute City SNES (F-ZERO, Smash 4 stage)

For the most part, other SCI-FI levels do not really fit the upbeat music of Custom Robo; the Metroid maps in particular are more gloomy...even if they've got some bangin' tunes of their own(even if one of those is from Golden Sun). The other Star Fox levels are too calm, and Big Blue doesn't quite feel right with a song like Heaven; it's...a slow map, when you think about it: cars don't move too fast even though it looks it. Take a more retro sounding Robo song and it'd fit on the SNES map in comparison. Were it not cut, Orbital Gate Assault (real talk: Star Fox Assault was pretty good) might be a decent fit.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, I've been wondering... did Ray get more votes on the Smash Ballot than we thought? I mean, there's no doubt in my mind that our votes made SOME kind of a difference.

I mean, look at this:

Custom Robo got 4 Spirits in the form of Ray MK II AND III, Flare, and Bayonette
He has a Mii Fighter costume too! (Like Chrom, King K. Rool, Isabelle, etc.)
At this point, Custom Robo now has more content in a Smash game than Melee and Brawl combined. This series can't be ignored anymore.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I feel like if Nintendo somehow pays the series attention once more, there might be a chance for the series to have a character on it. And that is ideal~

Hopefully SMASH 6 if it happens. Or DLC with Ultimate, maybe...

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Well, there was this reddit poll image from awhile back, though I do not know the sample size...While not a major player, Custom Robo did beat out characters like Phoenix Wright and Shadow (apparently...?), and gave Sora a run for their money.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well, there was this reddit poll image from awhile back, though I do not know the sample size...While not a major player, Custom Robo did beat out characters like Phoenix Wright and Shadow (apparently...?), and gave Sora a run for their money.

Lmao I remember when Wonder Red was the dude, but these results are odd tbh. Like, is this from ballot era eliminating characters that are now confirmed like KKR and Ridley, because it's been awhile since Wonder Red, Magolor, Jibanyan, and a few others had notable popularity

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lmao I remember when Wonder Red was the dude, but these results are odd tbh. Like, is this from ballot era eliminating characters that are now confirmed like KKR and Ridley, because it's been awhile since Wonder Red, Magolor, Jibanyan, and a few others had notable popularity
Iirc this is from after the August Direct.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Hey Custom Robo fans! Everyone should go vote on the new Normalboots poll for best GameCube games! They take the top 12 games and put them in a bracket where they discuss which game they feel is the best. I think it would be wonderful if we managed to get Custom Robo on that bracket and have some people actually discussing its majesty.

Link to the Twitter post:
https://twitter.com/normalboots/status/1065674884540379136?s=21

Last edited:
Top Bottom