• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly, things feel like such a double-edged sword right now. It'll be nice to see Ray in Smash, but heaven forbid it's as an AT.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
TBH, I’d be happy with just a trophy of custom robo’s. Getting forgotten about just wasn’t fun man. ;-;

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I definitely wouldn't be as salty to see them make it back as an AT. I just hope the AT makes a few revisions, mainly in size. It's hard for people to know what Ray is when he just looks like a blip on the radar.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
I definitely wouldn't be as salty to see them make it back as an AT. I just hope the AT makes a few revisions, mainly in size. It's hard for people to know what Ray is when he just looks like a blip on the radar.
Unpopular(?) opinion, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I think the robo should be tiny, assist trophy or playable character.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Ray is a weirsd one with size. If you ask 3 people how'd they like him scaled, you'd probably get 3 different answers.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I really like Custom Robo and would love a Ray Rep in here. I was surprise he wasn't playable in Smash4 since one of the biggest features was character customization.

I would imagine Ray as a small long range glass cannon character. He would rather mobile especially in the air. I think his moves should switch between weapons like the knuckle gun and blade gun for melee attacks as an example. His specials would be based on a certain weapon that would fit in Smash well but go by this format. With the custom option they would stick to this as well.

B: Gun
FB: Bombs
DB: Pods
UB: Boots (for Recovery moves)

Last edited:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Ray would be an awesome newcomer. I used to want him bad in the pre-SSB4 days, but he didn't even come back as an assist trophy. We don't have a "proper" robot in the cast yet - R.O.B. and Megaman don't feel like traditional robots, in my opinion. When I think of a fighting robot, I imagine something like Transformers or Mechas. His size would be interesting too - maybe the smallest fighter on the roster? Not sure, but it would be cool!

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Ray would be an awesome newcomer. I used to want him bad in the pre-SSB4 days, but he didn't even come back as an assist trophy. We don't have a "proper" robot in the cast yet - R.O.B. and Megaman don't feel like traditional robots, in my opinion. When I think of a fighting robot, I imagine something like Transformers or Mechas. His size would be interesting too - maybe the smallest fighter on the roster? Not sure, but it would be cool!
He would definitely scratch that gundam/mecha itch for some people (though interestingly enough, I don't like gundam/mecha stuff all that much normally...). And I agree! He should be the smallest fighter on the roster! Maybe no bigger than a purple pikmin! I always got the vibe that a custom robo character would be the pixie character of smash.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Double post but I don't caaaaareeeee

After having replayed arena in almost 1 night, I gotta ask: if a Ray model were to get into smash, what weapons should be a must include? Like, which pods, bombs, legs, and guns HAVE to be in smash?

I'm of the opinion that the Dragon Gun was like the most popular gun ever, judging by what little other people have said about the series. I'd just make sure a long range, midrange, and short range gun were all in the game. Feather Legs also seem pretty iconic.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Wow. The mood in this thread is depressing. Ray has always been and always will be my most wanted character. When I say my most wanted newcomer I usually say my second most wanted and call it my most wanted reasonable character, but Ray will always be the true number one. Custom robo is a true gem and it really is a tragedy that the series has been all but forgotten about. Just think what the series could have been today if it had continued. Who knows, maybe Ray could get added as a retro character someday. I heard somewhere that he was considered for a playable role in brawl but dropped because a projectile based moveset was hard to pull off. Don't know if it's true or not but if so maybe Sakurai will reconsider now that it worked for mega Man. Not really sure what the point of this post is. Just sharing some thoughts on my favorite game series with the four other people who might care. Ray for smash!

smashkirby

Smash Hero

After having replayed arena in almost 1 night, I gotta ask: if a Ray model were to get into smash, what weapons should be a must include? Like, which pods, bombs, legs, and guns HAVE to be in smash?

I'm of the opinion that the Dragon Gun was like the most popular gun ever, judging by what little other people have said about the series. I'd just make sure a long range, midrange, and short range gun were all in the game. Feather Legs also seem pretty iconic.
Hmm...Normally, I'd want the Gatling Gun, Tomahawk Bomb, Wave Pod, and Formula Legs. But a while back, I had the idea of Ray should have a gimmick of customizing his weapons and equipment mid-battle? Specifically, each Smash Attack (and Special Move) would switch to a different weapon/upgrade each time you perform an input. Ex. his gun would change from the Standard Gun to Dragon Gun to Magnum each time his neutral special move is used.

Think of Princess Peach's side smash attack, but extended to nearly ALL of Ray's moves.

In fact, I feel as though Palutena is doing this exact thing in Ultimate with her custom moves being mapped to each input, so...

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Whatever his most basic stuff is, is what he'd probably end up with tbh

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Wow. The mood in this thread is depressing. Ray has always been and always will be my most wanted character. When I say my most wanted newcomer I usually say my second most wanted and call it my most wanted reasonable character, but Ray will always be the true number one. Custom robo is a true gem and it really is a tragedy that the series has been all but forgotten about. Just think what the series could have been today if it had continued. Who knows, maybe Ray could get added as a retro character someday. I heard somewhere that he was considered for a playable role in brawl but dropped because a projectile based moveset was hard to pull off. Don't know if it's true or not but if so maybe Sakurai will reconsider now that it worked for mega Man. Not really sure what the point of this post is. Just sharing some thoughts on my favorite game series with the four other people who might care. Ray for smash!
I think the correct term is resigned. Do we want ray in smash? More than anyone. Will It happen? lul

his chances are deader than noise themselves. Still my no 1 tho.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Noise isn't dead. They're responsible of Hoshi no Dragon Quest, a really succesful mobile game in Japan. They just doesn't care about videogames anymore, sadly. But well, the videogame industry in the Asian market is changing in favour of GaaS f2p mobile games.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
IIRC, anyone and everyone who has anything to do with custom robo at noise has left. There was a decent post on a thread on 4chan who explained how things went down, but I wouldn't be able to post the screenshot till later today.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think the correct term is resigned. Do we want ray in smash? More than anyone. Will It happen? lul

his chances are deader than noise themselves. Still my no 1 tho.
I don't think his chances are dead. Sakurai really likes the Custom Robo series and it was in Melee that I even learned about the series. Personally (though I have no proof to show) I think the reason we didn't see any Custom Robo trophy or AT was because Sakurai wanted to put him in as DLC. He was just pushed aside for more popular characters.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Never played it before. I support!
...... I’m gonna ask you a favor. Go online, and I don’t care if you buy it for then gamecube, ds, or translate the n64 version, but play. This. Game. Series. Noise struck gold with how unique this game’s mechanics are. If you’re looking for a truly unique experience, you can’t go wrong with Custom Robo. Sure, we all want Ray in smash in this thread, but we all probably want another CR game more. Play the games, and you’ll probably see why.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I’m looking back up at the size discussion and I find it interesting what a lot of people are suggesting. For me, I always pictured Ray standing at a more above average height. Eye level with some of the taller human characters in the game. Maybe even around Ganondorf’s height. I don’t know why but that’s what I always had pictured. I guess I was thinking something more heavy and hulking, rather than what we saw when he was an assist trophy. That said, I don’t think having him as a pixie-like character is a bad idea by any stretch. I just feel like something a bit more humanoid would work really well.

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock
I rather like the idea of Ray being as small as his Assist Trophy in Brawl was, it'd be interesting to deal with such a short stature from a gameplay standpoint and would help him stand out a bit more among potentially similar fighters like Samus and Mega Man. Being closer to canonical size would be a welcome bonus, of course, though I don't think that's something Sakurai puts too much stock in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If another ballot comes, it might be good to bring that up, it could help his chances.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
That said, I don’t think having him as a pixie-like character is a bad idea by any stretch. I just feel like something a bit more humanoid would work really well.
Humanoid simply means that a thing is a human-looking in appearance or character. So no matter the size, it’ll be humanoid! Do you just mean more human sized?

I just think it should be smaller because the game’s put such an emphasis on the being so small. When it comes down to it though, sakurai could make him bigger than Ridley and I wouldn’t care. I’d be happy to see him there.

Though I’m glad discussion has been sparked over the idea of a CR reps’ size.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Humanoid simply means that a thing is a human-looking in appearance or character. So no matter the size, it’ll be humanoid! Do you just mean more human sized?

I just think it should be smaller because the game’s put such an emphasis on the being so small. When it comes down to it though, sakurai could make him bigger than Ridley and I wouldn’t care. I’d be happy to see him there.

Though I’m glad discussion has been sparked over the idea of a CR reps’ size.
Right I was meaning to say human sized. Apologies. I just really like the thought of him being eye to eye with most of the fighters. Because it’s not like you feel small when you play Custom Robo. It feels more proportional. I think it would just feel a whole lot more like Ray if his height was level with the majority of the cast, even if it’s technically innacurate to his actual size.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Another thing I always wonder about with him is how to integrate a holosseum into a smash stage. There is a lot of holosseums to choose from and ways to make perspective interesting (since we are essentially going from 3D to 2D).

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Eh, I still keep picturing him to be about Link's height or slightly shorter than that.
No! Him small! >:U

Lol I kid.

Another thing I always wonder about with him is how to integrate a holosseum into a smash stage. There is a lot of holosseums to choose from and ways to make perspective interesting (since we are essentially going from 3D to 2D).
I think it would mostly depend on which Ray they would choose to make, probably a choice between Ray 01 and Ray Mk. III. While I like the Tron aesthetics of the GC game more, the cartoony art style is present in more games and arguably more recognizable to the Japanese player base.

That being said, even the basic stage in CR for GC looked SO GOOD. I'd probably do an amalgamation of stages from the GC game. For instance, Marcia's Holosseum was on top of a large skyscraper-like structure in the game, so that could be the walls of the stage for wall jumping characters. Otherwise, it'd probably have breakable objects, maybe a few sloped areas like the park stage, etc.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Count me as a supporter! I played both the GC and DS game and loved them both!
I never thought about having him actually be a more canon size in smash but that would be awesome. he mostly uses projectiles anyway so it wouldn't hurt him in terms of range. and he'd be a pain to hit xD
maybe make him like slightly smaller then squirtle so that he'll be the smallest character in smash history xD

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
While I’m not exactly confident in Ray’s chances, there’s always hope. My biggest hope is that Ray was left out of the previous game and was a very low-priority character. We can also hope that the mecha figure sakurai bought a couple years ago was to help model Ray.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
No! Him small! >:U

Lol I kid.

I think it would mostly depend on which Ray they would choose to make, probably a choice between Ray 01 and Ray Mk. III. While I like the Tron aesthetics of the GC game more, the cartoony art style is present in more games and arguably more recognizable to the Japanese player base.

That being said, even the basic stage in CR for GC looked SO GOOD. I'd probably do an amalgamation of stages from the GC game. For instance, Marcia's Holosseum was on top of a large skyscraper-like structure in the game, so that could be the walls of the stage for wall jumping characters. Otherwise, it'd probably have breakable objects, maybe a few sloped areas like the park stage, etc.
In Smash4 I did build a stage based on the Lava holloseum. It was interesting being a good chuck of the center stage would go in and out of lava. It was actually very good for ranged fighters which I assume would be Ray's play style. I'll try to remember to post a picture when I get a chance.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
In Smash4 I did build a stage based on the Lava holloseum. It was interesting being a good chuck of the center stage would go in and out of lava. It was actually very good for ranged fighters which I assume would be Ray's play style. I'll try to remember to post a picture when I get a chance.
That's a fairly iconic stage! Or at least as iconic as you can get in such an unknown game. I think it'd be a cool stage in smash for real!

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
All lot of people cry about that one of their favourite characters stays an Assist trophy, well they don’t know what it’s like to see it cut

I had three characters I loved cut from brawl, to 4, it’s sucked, Snake understandably so, Wolf raised an eyebrow to that one? and Ray who is useful you couldn’t keep as an assist? No devil is more important I guess

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
All lot of people cry about that one of their favourite characters stays an Assist trophy, well they don’t know what it’s like to see it cut

I had three characters I loved cut from brawl, to 4, it’s sucked, Snake understandably so, Wolf raised an eyebrow to that one? and Ray who is useful you couldn’t keep as an assist? No devil is more important I guess
I love Ray and hated the AT. Didn't mind seeing it cut at all

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
It's probably my second favorite, but Ray 01 was just gorgeous and beautifully detailed.
I would say looking back for me
Warrior
Legend
Would take the top 3... probably cause it was the GameCube so they could be modeled good

Battle revolution had such a good story

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Just went back to look at the old intro for Battle revolution. that was so hype and I watched it so many times as a kid!
man looking back really and remembering the game makes me think of just how good of a fighter Ray would be!
controling space with guns, bombs, and pods. even using multiple weapon types from the games history to make his moveset even more diverse. he could be the first smasher with an air dash as part of his movement. and yeah you could make him the smallest fighter just for the amusement of fighting with such a little guy.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Just went back to look at the old intro for Battle revolution. that was so hype and I watched it so many times as a kid!
man looking back really and remembering the game makes me think of just how good of a fighter Ray would be!
controling space with guns, bombs, and pods. even using multiple weapon types from the games history to make his moveset even more diverse. he could be the first smasher with an air dash as part of his movement. and yeah you could make him the smallest fighter just for the amusement of fighting with such a little guy.
Lul we need a poll on the first page concerning the size of Ray.

Top Bottom