• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet

(Source: @gameb0ybryan)
Previous Threads:

https://smashboards.com/threads/support-ray-for-smash-custom-robo-discussion-thread.325155/
https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...stom-robo-in-smash-bros.436485/#post-21165376
Credit to @ToastyPyre for several assets from the original thread and The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This for superheading the newer version and creating the social group.

What is Custom Robo?

Custom Robo is a series of science fiction action role-playing games published by Nintendo. In each game, the player assumes the role of a character who engages in various Custom Robo battles. In these battles, the player pilots their robo and maneuvers around a 3D battlefield, attacking their opponent with the objective of reducing their HP from 1000 to 0. These battles can have up to 4 fighters and include teams, much like Smash.

The game follows the cycle of collecting, customizing, and battling. Throughout the games, you'll be finding various parts to customize your robo with to suit your style of combat. The 5 parts you'll be adjusting are the body, gun, bomb, pod, and legs. These will affect things like your gun's speed and power, the mobility of your robo and length of hover time, and their speed and weight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's the history of the franchise?

Custom Robo is developed by Noise and published by Nintendo. In Japan, it was marketed towards young boys who enjoyed playing with action figures and toy models. The developers were inspired by the childhood fantasy of becoming action figures and playing out battles.

The 5 games in the Custom Robo franchise are...

Custom Robo (N64)
-Released in Japan, 1999
-Released for the iQue Player in China, 2006

Custom Robo V2 (N64)
-Released in Japan, 2000
-Released on the Japanese Wii Virtual Console, 2008
-First Custom Robo to allow up to 4 fighters, instead of 2

Custom Robo GX (GBA)
-Released in Japan, 2002
-First and only Custom Robo rendered in 2D for battles as opposed to the usual 3D

Custom Robo (GameCube)
-Released in Japan and North America, 2004
-First Custom Robo to be released in North America
-First Custom Robo to incorporate full motion video

Custom Robo Arena (DS)
-Released in Japan, 2006
-Released in North America, Australia, and Europe, 2007
-First Custom Robo to be released in PAL regions
-First Custom Robo to incorporate Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for battles

As you can see, the series had a decent lifespan, with a new game coming out about once every 2 years for the newest Nintendo system. Unfortunately this stopped after Custom Robo Arena, which is the last Custom Robo game in over a decade. The last thing we've gotten was a virtual console release in Japan, and more recently, a translation patch for Custom Robo 64. (https://www.startrinket.com/custom-robo)
Credit to smashkirby smashkirby for discovering this!

Who is Ray?

Ray is the mascot robo model for the series. In every game, the player is given a Ray model as their first robo. Because there are several different models, it's hard to determine which specific one is fit best for Smash (do we go OG, newest one, or most iconic looking), but it can be safe to assume a Ray model nonetheless would be the representative given its prominence in the franchise as a whole. It has also been long enough since a new game that Smash Bros could throw in their own rebooted version of Ray.

Custom Robo (N64)

Ray
Very first robo in the Ray series and primary robo for the hero. Also appears in V2 and Arena.

Custom Robo V2

Ray Mk II
First robo given in V2 and Arena. Mascot of V2.

Ray II Dark
An alternate, illegal version of Ray piloted by doppelgangers. Also appears in Arena.

Custom Robo GX

X-Ray
Mascot for Custom Robo GX. Also appears in Arena.

Ray Sky
A modified version of the X-Ray given to the player later in the game. Also appears in Arena.

AIRS (Anti-Insurgent Ray Sky)
A military version of the Ray Sky that appears in GX and Arena.

Custom Robo (GameCube)

Ray 01
The mascot robo for Custom Robo (GameCube). Also appears in Arena.

Ray Warrior
An upgraded, illegal version of the Ray 01 given to the player in the post-game. Also appears in Arena.

Ray Legend
An illegal member of the Ray series, considered to be an obsolete version of the original Ray.

Custom Robo Arena

Ray Mk III
The newest member of the Ray series, given to the player later in the game.

(Taken from the Custom Robo Wiki: http://customrobo.wikia.com/wiki/Ray_Series)

Why should Ray be in Smash Bros?

1. Diversity

Ray automatically stands out from your typical Smash Bros fighter. The current roster only has two robot characters, R.O.B. and Mega Man, and all three of them are vastly different. Ray also has a unique design that contrasts with the fighters we already have. He has an appealing look with a robo action figure vibe that can draw people in to exploring more about him. In terms of fighting potential, not only does Ray stem from a game that revolves around fighting, which makes his moveset relatively simple to compose, but his fighting isn't that similar to many other characters already in Smash. While I often struggle to think of why my other top wanted characters could stand out in terms of moveset potential, Ray has an assortment of weapons that gives developers many possibilities to work with if they were to design him. If Smash Switch follows up on the idea of customizing characters, Ray fits into this feature like a glove, since his entire franchise revolves around changing around components of your fighter.

2. Personality

Custom Robo is OOZING with creativity. The entire concept of the franchise is fresh and appealing. The vast amount of robos in the games make for easy ideas for trophies and maybe even an assist trophy (we did get one in Brawl). The game's signature 3D battleground creates an idea for stage that writes itself. Without trying to sound redundant, Ray's action figure robot vibe is a unique characteristic that's appealing in itself and hasn't been explored in a Smash character yet. The closest character is probably Samus, who is still different enough from Ray and unique with her own variety of reasons.

3. Recognition

Smash Bros is a very popular game. A lot of people, including myself, were introduced to certain video game characters because of their role in Smash. The biggest example of this is Marth and Roy. Fire Emblem was a Japanese only franchise until their inclusion in Melee, where their popularity was enough to convince Nintendo to release the next game in the West. Fire Emblem has since grown to now being able to have 6 reps, and it all started with having a character and a clone in Melee. While I'm not sure if this is really linked to Smash because the franchise was already highly demanded to be brought to the West to begin with, Xenoblade has also seen a rise in popularity in the past couple of years, with it now having a spiritual successor and a sequel about to be released. Even though Shulk was a popular character during the Smash 4 speculation cycle, his inclusion nonetheless informed a lot of people of him and his franchise and convinced many to try his game out. I'm not saying Custom Robo is on the level of Fire Emblem or Xenoblade, but I think if there's enough demand, we can save the series. Kid Icarus got a new game after over two decades, and Pit's inclusion in Brawl may have helped that happen. If the development team were to ever take a chance on Ray and add him to Smash, my hope would be that there is a Custom Robo game on the Switch's eventual Virtual Console to sort of test the waters of how fans react to his inclusion and if there's enough people who would want to see the series rebooted. This may not be the most valid reason, but overall I think he could work as one of those obscure characters that's unexpectedly added and then rises in popularity.

Counterarguments

Let's address the elephant in the room, Ray's chances aren't the greatest. In terms of relevancy, he hasn't had a game in over a decade. Heck, he downgraded from an assist trophy in Brawl to no representation at all in Smash 4. While Ray isn't the most obscure character, he isn't one of the most popular either. So based solely on popularity, King K. Rool, Isaac, Snake, and others would realistically take priority.
However, thinking in terms of characters for an unrepped series, he could be seen as more unique and able to offer more to Smash's diversity. You could also argue that Ray and Isaac's glaring omission from Smash 4's trophy list (when they had TWO games to cover Nintendo's assortment of franchises) was done intentionally so they could potentially add them if fans demanded them enough for DLC. This is slightly debunked by Lucas having a trophy pre-DLC, but an interesting thought nonetheless.

So taking into account that Ray is only semi-popular, hasn't had a new game in a while, and his series didn't have extraordinary sales or marketing, what redeems all of this?
Well, thinking purely from a fighting standpoint, Ray works very, very well. He can offer a unique personality to the cast of Smash and has a remarkable identity that'll keep him from blending in with the rest. Smash is known for its surprises. We can look for patterns and criteria that fits every character's inclusion, but every now and again we'll get thrown a curve-ball that makes us rethink what we thought was possible. Ray is one of those characters that could be a half-expected inclusion. His identity will definitely fly over a casual person's head, but I think that semi-obscurity makes him really cool and gives him an opportunity to meet a new audience of players.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

So who wants to support Custom Robo, or more specifically, Ray for Smash? Any model is welcome!

(I'll update this thread as time goes on and I get more ideas. I wanted to include some character poll results but I didn't know which polls were the most reliable)

Trophies
Ray MK II: The Custom Robo games feature combat between small robots averaging about 12 inches (30cm) in height. Ray Mk II is the upgraded descendant of one of the combatants from the original game. It's a well-balanced Jumper model in the Shining Fighter line of robots. Its stable design lets it excel with a minimum of customization. (Custom Robo 2 (Japan only))
Bayonette: Tsurugi and Yaiba, twin brothers who were bewitched by the dark power, combined their beloved robots Spear and Lance to form this illegal robot. The brothers used the Strike Vanisher model as a base, but then added a number of stealth capabilities. This successful power-up is nothing short of a Custom Robo miracle. (Custom Robo 2 (Japan only))
Annie: Annie, a Jumper model in the Stunner line of robots, was the robot used by Nanase, a cadet at the Takuma Academy, a commander training school. At the climax of the story, Nanase fell prey to temptation and stained her hands with the illegal robot Majei. This act ultimately set the stage for her undeniably tragic end. (Custom Robo 2 (Japan only))

Assist Trophy
Ray Mk III, hailing from Custom Robo Arena, appears as an Assist Trophy in Brawl. When summoned, it will fly to the center of the stage and fire either a barrage of energy bullets, or a singular missile. These bullets can be reflected or absorbed. Ray MK III may occasionally fly slightly to the left or right, and fire another attack before returning to his original position. Ray MK III is unlocked as an Assist Trophy after 100 Vs. Matches have been played.

Trophies
Ray Mk III: The custom robo used by the main character. It's the latest Shining Fighter model in the Ray line of robots, which appears throughout the Custom Robo series. The main character switches from his beloved Ray Mk II to this model after his sister and father develop it. This one has a great balance between built-in abilities and ease and depth of available customization. (Custom Robo: Arena)
Custom Robos: Small robots. Custom robos average about 12 inches (30cm) in height. Battling of custom robos fitted with weapon combos—including guns, bombs, and pods—is a hobby of the future, taking place in a virtual arena called a holosseum. The different customization options allow for many battle strategies. Clearly defined regulations provide for a highly competitive activity. (Custom Robo(GC), Custom Robo: Arena)
Jameson & A.I.R.S.: Highly illegal modified robos. The Jameson is based on the Lightning Sky. It and the A.I.R.S., a high-end Ray machine, can transform into fighter jets. The A.I.R.S. was developed for military use and thus cannot be used by all commanders. Both of these robos were available via DS Download Stations in Japan. (Custom Robo V2 (Japan Only), Custom Robo: Arena)

Stickers
Annie
(Custom Robo V2), Rakansen(Custom Robo(GC)), Ray(Custom Robo), Ray01(Custom Robo(GC)), Ray MkIII(Custom Robo Arena), Robo Cube(Custom Robo(GC)), Seal Head(Custom Robo(GC)).

Source: @ToastyPyre

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I support Ray, and always will!

BTW, thanks for giving me credit for finding the recent Custom Robo translation patch!

aquacustom

Smash Rookie
So I've only ever played gc, as I remember he had a gun, bomb, and those homing things on his back. Pair that with the shoe boosters and you got his specials.
N-Special: Links bow
U-Special: Boosters [possibly with hover]
D-Special: Homing Pack
S-Special: Missiles
Sorry for any typos or **** that I missed writing this on my phone.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would love another Custom Robo game. What is Noise even up to these days? Are they still a thing?

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
So I've only ever played gc, as I remember he had a gun, bomb, and those homing things on his back. Pair that with the shoe boosters and you got his specials.
N-Special: Links bow
U-Special: Boosters [possibly with hover]
D-Special: Homing Pack
S-Special: Missiles
Sorry for any typos or **** that I missed writing this on my phone.
Yeah I think boosters for a recovery and a pod attack could be cool and likely specials. I think I'd throw in a basic gun attack for his neutral and make either his down or side make use of a bomb. Maybe I'll make a more detailed moveset down the line.

I would love another Custom Robo game. What is Noise even up to these days? Are they still a thing?
They aren't up to much, but they aren't completely dead. After Custom Robo Arena they made an RPG for the DS and a puzzle game for DSiWare. Then they made a 3DS RPG that looks like a Transformers anime thing (Gyrozetter: Wings Of The Albatross) and most recently they made a Dragon Quest mobile game about two years ago. So it seems they've been developing for Square Enix. And apparently they only have 25 members now. Their non-Custom Robo games are really lacking in information.

BROX_Basher

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1650-6474-3181
I... I-I just... This is so awesome. I'm literally speechless. Custom Robo's such an amazing choice, and you thought of everything for it!! Kudos to you, great sir!!!

PS: Maybe the wrong place to think of this, but I think it'd be interesting to have Disney characters in a Smash bros game.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
A Ray model Custom Robo for Smash? I am for it. I'll support the idea.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Come on guys, you don't even bother to tag The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This about this?

He even made a Custom Robot social group for crying out loud.
You know what's REALLY sad? He's actually the very first person I wanted to tag about the recent announcement of the original Custom Robo FINALLY getting the full English translation patch it ever so rightfully deserved.

As for the reason WHY I never tagged him? Well, 2 reasons, actually.

The first was that I figured someone on this thread had done it before me, so I figured I wouldn't to repeat the process.

The second? I completely forgot his username. To be fair, I personally haven't seen him on SB for a while now, and I haven't had any CR discussion on SB for a while now either, so...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys! I finished the story mode to the original Custom Robo on N64!!! Please tell me that the English patch for Custom Robo V2 is being worked on! Honestly, after everything, Ray's in my top 10 of wanted Smash characters!

D

Deleted member

Now watch as Custom Robo gets a game made by Sakurai and Ray MK IV becomes a super shoe-in. Him and Dark Ray MK IV.

But seriously, put me in on the support list.

Last edited by a moderator:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Now watch as Custom Robo gets a game made by Sakurai and Ray MK IV becomes a super shoe-in. Him and Dark Ray MK IV.

But seriously, put me in on the support list.
You know what's funny? HAL Labs. apparently had a HUGE part in creating Custom Robo 1 & 2 for the N64. May explain why Smash used so many assets from the series for Melee and Brawl.

And now, Sakurai's must recent development pic featured a futuristic-looking bayonet. New Custom Robo from him maybe?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I'm totally down for this! There's totally a chance of this happening with the Smash Bros. game for the Switch that just got announced at today's Nintendo Direct (chances might be slim, but it's important to never give up)!

Come on guys, you don't even bother to tag The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This about this?

He even made a Custom Robot social group for crying out loud.
Eh, it's no biggie. I found it eventually.
You know what's REALLY sad? He's actually the very first person I wanted to tag about the recent announcement of the original Custom Robo FINALLY getting the full English translation patch it ever so rightfully deserved.

As for the reason WHY I never tagged him? Well, 2 reasons, actually.

The first was that I figured someone on this thread had done it before me, so I figured I wouldn't to repeat the process.

The second? I completely forgot his username. To be fair, I personally haven't seen him on SB for a while now, and I haven't had any CR discussion on SB for a while now either, so...
No worries mate! My username is a bit weird. I haven't been active online for a while (just finished my last semester of college). I should be more active in the future. Heck, I might add more videos to the YouTube channel soon (gotta get my gaming corner prepared 1st). :)

I knew about the Star Trinket translation patch for CR1. The translator actually asked for my help on it a while back (actually got to see the game's scripting files for the events). That being said, I didn't get to help him much as I was super busy with college and the like. The translator did a really great job on the patch for sure.

Hey, guys! I finished the story mode to the original Custom Robo on N64!!! Please tell me that the English patch for Custom Robo V2 is being worked on! Honestly, after everything, Ray's in my top 10 of wanted Smash characters!
He did say that he will move on to V2 after a while (CR1 did set him back a bit on funds [professional translators were used from what I recall from some e-mails I had with him]). He didn't give me a specific timeline, but he does want to take a bit of a break from what I remember from our conversations. He did have a bit of drama with another hacker that tried to take all of the project's credit from what I recall.
Yeah I think boosters for a recovery and a pod attack could be cool and likely specials. I think I'd throw in a basic gun attack for his neutral and make either his down or side make use of a bomb. Maybe I'll make a more detailed moveset down the line.

They aren't up to much, but they aren't completely dead. After Custom Robo Arena they made an RPG for the DS and a puzzle game for DSiWare. Then they made a 3DS RPG that looks like a Transformers anime thing (Gyrozetter: Wings Of The Albatross) and most recently they made a Dragon Quest mobile game about two years ago. So it seems they've been developing for Square Enix. And apparently they only have 25 members now. Their non-Custom Robo games are really lacking in information.
Yep, super accurate about what's up with Noise. They've basically become a true 3rd party studio at this point. I do wish that one of Nintendo's 1st party or 2nd party developers would take up the mantle and make a new game in the series.

Thanks for keeping Ray's support alive everyone!

Edit: If you want, I can try to find my moveset document for Ray. I think I still have it.

You know what's funny? HAL Labs. apparently had a HUGE part in creating Custom Robo 1 & 2 for the N64. May explain why Smash used so many assets from the series for Melee and Brawl.

And now, Sakurai's must recent development pic featured a futuristic-looking bayonet. New Custom Robo from him maybe?
Huh, that's news to me. I've always loved HAL and their games (I'm a huge fan of Kirby platformers). Must've been another reason why I've found CR1 & V2 pretty charming overall.

I seriously hope so in regards to Sakurai. I like his games (KI:U did hurt my hands a bit, but I loved playing it a ton).

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I doknt have anything clever or interesting to say, but I still want Ray (01 preferably) in Smash

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Never played one of his games... but somehow I support this guy.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I still support Ray. The more robots, the better.

By the way, we do happen to have a Discord all about supporting lesser known characters like him, Isaac, Chibi Robo, Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, and many others.

https://discord.gg/R2ZeTqW

Feel free too heck it out fi you want.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
For some reason I thought I’d already dropped in here to show my support. Oh well, better late than never.

Also I want Ray Mk. III because I only played Arena sorry

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I keep seeing the idea of aerial Smash attacks being passed around elsewhere, and I can't shake the fact that it's the perfect fit for Ray.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
It's sad when some less-known IPs like Golden Sun, Wars, Custom Robo, Sin&Punishment, etc. disappear from the current consoles. Regarding Custom Robo, it seems that Noise couldn't afford making a new game ( https://nintendoeverything.com/cust...e-when-or-in-what-form-something-will-appear/ ) "with the recent changes in the industry". Custom Robo could be an interest game nowadays if they do a proper campaign in the media and a good costumization of the robots.

I wonder if Nintendo tested the waters with the localization of Little Battle eXperience of Bamco in the west. It wasn't exactly the same, but it was similar in some aspects.

I didn't kwow that HAL helped Noise with the firsts games. I always thought Sakurai liked the franchise.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It's sad when some less-known IPs like Golden Sun, Wars, Custom Robo, Sin&Punishment, etc. disappear from the current consoles. Regarding Custom Robo, it seems that Noise couldn't afford making a new game ( https://nintendoeverything.com/cust...e-when-or-in-what-form-something-will-appear/ ) "with the recent changes in the industry". Custom Robo could be an interest game nowadays if they do a proper campaign in the media and a good costumization of the robots.

I wonder if Nintendo tested the waters with the localization of Little Battle eXperience of Bamco in the west. It wasn't exactly the same, but it was similar in some aspects.

I didn't kwow that HAL helped Noise with the firsts games. I always thought Sakurai liked the franchise.
Nintendo should really fund a new game. Battle Arena type games are huge now, and Custom Robo can take advantage, but for whatever reason Nintendo ignores it.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Hah! I was wondering when this would show up!

I've been praying to sakurai for some custom robo reps for smash for a very long time now and I won't stop any time soon.

I always thought custom robo has that quality of being that game that a lot of people played but no one remembered unless a fan reminded them about it. With the introduction of amiibos, I thought a new custom robo title was all but confirmed. After all, the game's premise is pretty much running around with amiibos and fight other people with them. A free to play custom robo with a buy in with a robo cube would be my ideal modern custom robo, but I digress. Put Ray Mk. III (he's the only one with pedigree) in smash!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I love thinking of movesets for Ray! So many options. I always picture his down smash as the twin flank pod. He'd drop one on either side of himself. Up smash could be something like the smash bomb with a big explosion right above him. F smash could be something like the magnum gun. Short range in custom robo but comparatively long range in smash. I'd love to see blade gun as nuetral a with the whole repeating move thing. Final smash would have to be soul boost. There's just so many options for specials that I don't even know where to begin.
Side note: I'd love to see a Rahu 3 assist trophy alongside playable Ray.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
I love thinking of movesets for Ray! So many options. I always picture his down smash as the twin flank pod. He'd drop one on either side of himself. Up smash could be something like the smash bomb with a big explosion right above him. F smash could be something like the magnum gun. Short range in custom robo but comparatively long range in smash. I'd love to see blade gun as nuetral a with the whole repeating move thing. Final smash would have to be soul boost. There's just so many options for specials that I don't even know where to begin.
Side note: I'd love to see a Rahu 3 assist trophy alongside playable Ray.
I always thought Ray should be a primarily projectile focused character. Like all his tilts, specials, and air attacks reference a gun/bomb/pod from the series.

EXCEPT for smashes. Those should work like the charge attacks (yes, invincibility and all).

Maybe his double jumps or up-b could actually be an air-dash. Or acrobat bomb/pod.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I always thought Ray should be a primarily projectile focused character. Like all his tilts, specials, and air attacks reference a gun/bomb/pod from the series.

EXCEPT for smashes. Those should work like the charge attacks (yes, invincibility and all).

Maybe his double jumps or up-b could actually be an air-dash. Or acrobat bomb/pod.
I always pictured the charge attack as the dash attack. Opens up more possibilities for the rest of the moveset.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I know this was discussed before, but remember when Sakurai had that mech toy, and he mentioned he always used things in real life to reference in games (or something like that) and we all speculated what game he was making? Well, we all know he's making Smash now, so what was he doing with that mech figure? Hmmmm.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I don't know why but I just don't think I'm behind Roy. It's weird, I'm a mecha fan, and I love a lot of other characters purely for their mecha aesthetic, but Roy just doesn't do it for me. It's the same with his games, I love the idea of arena combat games, and especially mecha and ranged combat ones, but Custom Robo has just never really appealed to me. I kinda felt compelled to come here and write this out just because of how often I'm saying around here 'boy I love mecha so I support this'. I don't know what it is but despite my enthusiasm I'm just very...meh on them in general.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I don't know why but I just don't think I'm behind Roy. It's weird, I'm a mecha fan, and I love a lot of other characters purely for their mecha aesthetic, but Roy just doesn't do it for me. It's the same with his games, I love the idea of arena combat games, and especially mecha and ranged combat ones, but Custom Robo has just never really appealed to me. I kinda felt compelled to come here and write this out just because of how often I'm saying around here 'boy I love mecha so I support this'. I don't know what it is but despite my enthusiasm I'm just very...meh on them in general.
I think the problem here is Roy isn't a mecha at all.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Lol, I wouldn't want a Mecha Roy in the game either.

Ray Mk. III, however, I would love!

All joking aside, that's unfortunate. The GameCube version is quite literally my favorite game of all time! But I suppose the whole idea of them being 5cm tall toys doesn't help drive the "mecha" theme.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Only recently started playing Custom Robo (this is my first time, it's the N64 one with the English patch!) and wow, it is fun.

Criminally underrated series, although unfortunately that happened to almost all of the series Nintendo just started localizing during the GC/GBA era (Nintendo Wars and Fire Emblem come to mind...)

Support!
Maybe if we're lucky, they'll even start making new Custom Robo games.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
I guess to start a new topic, any stages, items, or Assist Trophies you'd think would be good inclusions?

I'd love to see Jameson or maybe Rahu as an assist trophy. They both seem like infamous robos from their games.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I guess to start a new topic, any stages, items, or Assist Trophies you'd think would be good inclusions?

I'd love to see Jameson or maybe Rahu as an assist trophy. They both seem like infamous robos from their games.
Personally, I'd go with Rahu as a stage boss as it seems to be the most recognizable CR boss. Also, Jameson as an AT. Or maybe...what was his name? Charlie? Well, Mamoru's Robo from the original Custom Robo on N64 would be an interesting callback choice for an AT

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'd go with Rahu as a stage boss as it seems to be the most recognizable CR boss. Also, Jameson as an AT. Or maybe...what was his name? Charlie? Well, Mamoru's Robo from the original Custom Robo on N64 would be an interesting callback choice for an AT
A 64 choice would certainly be interesting, seeing as how it's japan only.

Now a stage boss with Rahu would imply a Rahu stage. Personally, I think just a normal Holosseum would do wonders for a stage, but a Rahu stage would certainly be a cool call back to the most ridiculous boss fight in CR. I do agree that he's the most iconic boss though and I'd love him as an assist trophy.

How about music though? If a CR rep got in, I would be upset not to see Heaven.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Does anyone feel like Ray will be in Smash for Switch? That rifle reference toy had to be for someone in Smash, right?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Does anyone feel like Ray will be in Smash for Switch? That rifle reference toy had to be for someone in Smash, right?
I keep forgetting about that. I still hope he is, but at this point idk

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I've been wondering, do you all think we should have a playable Cutsom Robo as a playable character. As in, Ray and 7 other Robos share a playable slot.

Top Bottom