• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Moves & Artificially Expanded Roster

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
So this is a random idea that I had after watching a YouTube video that discussed the idea of Daisy in Smash 5. They floated the idea of Daisy being a Peach alternate (like Olimar and Alph), and Peach would have some custom moves that would be tuned to fit Daisy's style.

And this got me thinking; if what we want is an expanded roster (and who doesn't), this would be a great way to add in a ton more characters who would usually be relegated to clones. Essentially, on the character select screen you can chose them as an alternate outfit, but the default special moves for that outfit are a different set of custom moves. All of these would still be able to be changed for all characters, so the flexibility of custom moves is not impacted, but it's kind of a way to say "these are THEIR moves".

This could add any number of characters that would otherwise have to be shoe-horned into a semi-clone role or left out completely. Dixie could be a Diddy alternate, using her pop gun from Tropical Freeze as a faster version of Diddy's peanut gun, for example. Really, the possibilities are nearly endless, and the effective roster could be expanded on massively.

At this point the game is probably mostly done so I doubt we'll see it in this iteration, but I think it's an interesting idea for future versions.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I've been sayign this for a long time, except for the moves being labeled explicitly as another character's. Having sets of customs for an alternate costume would let them balance that alternate costume, but it would also take a little more time.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
Swaps
At character select, players are asked to select two characters (yes, I&II).
Pick two different characters or a character + its Ext (as in extended moveset)
https://i.imgur.com/xOyNW55.png
https://i.imgur.com/CzErY2H.png

In a minority of cases, an Ext COULD be a different character representing the Ext. For example. In discussing Rex's moveset, I suggested that they could use another driver (or Tora, the wanna-be driver) as Rex's Ext.

I don't think I would get rid of the "clones" by making Lucina an Ext of Marth, for example. But Lucina and Marth would be heavily differentiated through their Ext, as you suggested B Bolshoi .

Last edited:
Top Bottom