• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom moves are a good idea that should be fully realized for Smash Switch

Quillion

Smash Hero
I really think it's a great idea to experience old characters in new ways. Tailoring your character to fit a playstyle is an excellent way to add more content to the game.

The problem is, of course, that the customs are largely just slightly modified versions of existing specials. Oh, the fireball is bigger. Oh, the Up-B gains more height but less damage. Big whoop.

But I don't think HAL should be like Game Freak and toss out a perfectly good idea before making it even better (trust me, Game Freak's tendency to do that is one of my biggest frustrations in gaming). The idea should be improved further. What if Mario got stuff like his Raccoon Tail, Cappy, or Star Spin? What if Link got the Skyward Strike, Fire Rod, or Cane of Byrna? What if Kirby got any of his abilities not represented in his Smash moveset?

Some would say that this would take away resources from developing new characters, but I think that they're going to reuse assets from Smash U for Switch. There's no way they're going to complete it by the end of this year any other way. While they reuse assets, this frees up resources for them to improve the custom system.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I disagree.

I think each character should have a single move set dedicated to them and should be specific to them only.
Too much variety creates too much over lap, characters can become to feel too similar.

I prefer one move set that highly reflects and represents that character the best.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
If they were going to do this system, I'd much prefer they simply make more clones and unique characters instead.

Even if it was just a 1-1 port with new content, I'd rather they spend the time it would take to do this and add similar characters...

That was always my main issue with Mortal Kombat X's variants. I'd rather have a bigger roster with a variety of characters than a smaller one with more broad characters.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
If Custom Moves are all unlocked from the start, I have no doubt we'll see them in tourneys.

Custom Specials likely won't affect a character's placement in the tier lists, as battles are primarily won using a character's normal attacks.
It may be inevitable for some bullsh#$ like Villager's exploding Balloons to appear, but I doubt enough customs would warrant an outright ban.

Players should be able to enter their name, set custom moves, and set their controls from the character select screen, hopefully the smash devs decide to implement this.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I disagree.

I think each character should have a single move set dedicated to them and should be specific to them only.
Too much variety creates too much over lap, characters can become to feel too similar.

I prefer one move set that highly reflects and represents that character the best.
You do realize characters overlap in other ways, right? Like how both Mario and Diddy are average weight with well-rounded movesets? And don't get me started on clones.

And we're assuming that customs still only change specials, right? As long as everyone's normal set is still distinct, there should be no problem.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
If Custom Moves are all unlocked from the start, I have no doubt we'll see them in tourneys.

Custom Specials likely won't affect a character's placement in the tier lists, as battles are primarily won using a character's normal attacks.
It may be inevitable for some bullsh#$ like Villager's exploding Balloons to appear, but I doubt enough customs would warrant an outright ban.

Players should be able to enter their name, set custom moves, and set their controls from the character select screen, hopefully the smash devs decide to implement this.
This is something i have thought of as well. If they simply added a little menu somewhere near the name where you could choose moves, and had them all unlocked from the start it would have been much more practical to use them and we'd see more events with them as you say. Maybe they could have added a separate For Glory mode with customs as well.

As they are now they don't really feel like a true part of the game.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
What if there was a more "non-random" way of unlocking customs? I think something like completing Classic and/or All-Star mode to unlock customs would be an acceptable method.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
not a fan of them, for many different reasons. Seems to me that the time it would take to make multiple custom moves could be much better spent on different parts of the game. I would much rather have them make 4 good specials instead of 8/12 mediocre ones. Characters also lose some "character" if they dont have their "main" 4 specials. Balancing the game would be much more difficult and i feel it makes smash just unnecessarily complicated, pick a character and lets go, dont ask players to customize their specials.

Custom Final smashes would make more sense to me.

Quillion

Smash Hero
not a fan of them, for many different reasons. Seems to me that the time it would take to make multiple custom moves could be much better spent on different parts of the game. I would much rather have them make 4 good specials instead of 8/12 mediocre ones. Characters also lose some "character" if they dont have their "main" 4 specials. Balancing the game would be much more difficult and i feel it makes smash just unnecessarily complicated, pick a character and lets go, dont ask players to customize their specials.

Custom Final smashes would make more sense to me.
So why can't the customs be "good" specials again?

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
I personally really enjoyed custom moves/specials. They really gave a breath of fresh air for many characters in sm4sh. I don't give a **** about "balance" as long as the customs are useful for a character.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I guarantee you; you may hate custom mode right now, but see it go and you'll complain about it not being improved.

It happened with the Subspace Emissary.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I guarantee you; you may hate custom mode right now, but see it go and you'll complain about it not being improved.

It happened with the Subspace Emissary.
The SSE was actually well received by most people lmao. It’s just that the rabbid Smash fans disappointed themselves by overhyping it to ****.

Custom moves are just a random thing nobody really cares about.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
What if there was a more "non-random" way of unlocking customs? I think something like completing Classic and/or All-Star mode to unlock customs would be an acceptable method.
If Sakurai does decide to add custom moves again, and decides that players should have to unlock them again, I hope that he makes it way easier to unlock them, preferably unlocking custom moves for the character that you play with, instead of being dealt custom moves for a character you've never touched.

If they have to be unlocked for each Character, there is no way they will be accepted by the community for tourney use.
Imagine if you had to unlock each character's Side-Special in Melee?
I wish Sakurai would just make them all useable from the start, like the standard special moves.

EDIT: Also I think it could be interesting to see Final Smashes implemented without the Smash Ball.
Like, give each character a Final Smash meter that fills up by landing Smash Attacks.
The Final Smashes in Smash4 were, for the most part, toned down when compared to Brawl. Most of them would require skill to get a KO with. If certain Final Smashes were weakened just a little more, or given shorter durations, and given their own button, it would be dope to see them included in Tournaments too. I know that the first thing that comes to people's minds when dreaming up a character is what Final Smash that character will have. It's a shame that many of us don't even know what kind of Final Smash each character in Smash4 has.
To this day I still don't know what Bayonetta and Corrin's Final Smashes look like.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
If they have to be unlocked for each Character, there is no way they will be accepted by the community for tourney use.
Imagine if you had to unlock each character's Side-Special in Melee?
I wish Sakurai would just make them all useable from the start, like the standard special moves.
Well, what I have in mind is that when you complete Classic for one character, you unlock said character's first set of customs. When you complete All-Star, you unlock that character's second set.

Nice and non-random, but gives the satisfaction of unlocking stuff.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Well, what I have in mind is that when you complete Classic for one character, you unlock said character's first set of customs. When you complete All-Star, you unlock that character's second set.

Nice and non-random, but gives the satisfaction of unlocking stuff.
How satisfying will that be by the 32nd character? That just sounds like a painful grind to me.
Lemme come over and play them with you after you unlock them all though :)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
How satisfying will that be by the 32nd character? That just sounds like a painful grind to me.
Lemme come over and play them with you after you unlock them all though :)
Bro, unlocking characters in Melee and Brawl was more of a grind than in Smash U, and I was far more satisfied with unlocking in the former than in the latter.

I wouldn't call unlocking customs in that manner too unsatisfying, seeing as you have to "master" the default moveset for a wide variety of characters before you get access to new tools.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Bro, unlocking characters in Melee and Brawl was more of a grind than in Smash U, and I was far more satisfied with unlocking in the former than in the latter.

I wouldn't call unlocking customs in that manner too unsatisfying, seeing as you have to "master" the default moveset for a wide variety of characters before you get access to new tools.
Sorry man I just never liked having to unlock characters. I absolutely hated it in Melee and Brawl.
I just wanted to play Ganon and Marth after seeing them at EVO damnit.
I was super stoked that Smash4 made the process relatively painless by comparison, being able to unlock the remaining 8 characters after 100 For Glory matches.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Sorry man I just never liked having to unlock characters. I absolutely hated it in Melee and Brawl.
I was super stoked that Smash4 made the process relatively painless by comparison, being able to unlock the remaining 8 characters after 100 For Glory matches.
While I do see your point, I see unlocking characters as something akin to what Zelda games traditionally do: giving you more options to play the game in a well-paced manner.

Some people really like the feeling of unlocking new ways to play the game in all genres. Even one year after BotW, you'll find a lot of people complaining about how that game frontloads every essential tool.

Likewise, I feel that Melee's unlocking was a bit slow-paced (play 20 hours for Mewtwo or grind through the 15-minute Multi-Man for Falco? No thanks) and Smash U's unlocking was too fast-paced. Brawl got the pace right; you can unlock all the characters through SSE, playing VS matches, or some other method that wasn't too long-winded.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I definitely think Customs are worth adding and expanding in the game. I'd only want them if they were all akin to Megaman or Palutena's custom moves though and they should all be unlocked from the start and be allowed to be in way more game modes than they are. It's also a good way to justify not having clones on the roster. Mario can have Doctor Mario's neutral B as a custom and a Dr. Mario costume, Pit can have Dark pit's Side B as a custom and a Dark Pit skin etc.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I think that custom moves are a good idea, they just need to be less gimmicky. No more 'add electricity/explosion/windboxes/tripping', but make them vary in size/angle/damage/lift/speed. Ganondorf was a good example of customs in Sm4sh, changing his angle of approach and moving from a grab to an approach ability made massive strides for him. Villager/DK are the oither way, Villager turning 2 non-combative elements of the kit into massive combative aspects becoming the core mechanics he played around, DK using janky windboxes that it wasn't designed around to abuse the air game.

Last edited:

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I imagine the reason why most of the special moves are just slight variants of default specials is because of how much work it requires. For every character you’ll need 8 new animations and concepts that have to be implemented and play tested. The only exceptions to this in Sm4sh was Palutena, who is Sakurai’s waifu, and Miis, which is kinda the whole point of them.

Top Bottom