• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Controls (Specifically for JC->ASC, Wave bounce)

Indigo_

Smash Cadet
I was curious as to whether any of you use custom controls for your JC+ASC and Wave bouncing. I find the L & R buttons to be unreliable and slightly delayed due to their design. It's possible to avoid using them however.

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
I use a pro controller and with this i make Y shield so when i am charging aura sphere i can slide my thumb from y to x to a.
If i am holding up at the same time this will do an up smash our of charge
Or i can hold down to do a down air
Or not press a to just jump away
Gamecube may have a similar setup i do not know

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I honestly just slide my finger over jump and A while holding up on a GC controller with tap jump off.

Steam Steam Croi Croi Loota Loota and the other pros what do you guys do for your control scheme for ASC to JCU?

Loota

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty much the same way I do it, it's simple and easy enough to get it consistently without losing any frames inbetween shielding and usmashing.

I think Forre Forre has customized his controls at least partly just to make it easier but I don't have any idea of his unorthodox setup. I wouldn't recommend changing your controls for that only but each to his own I guess.

Last edited:

Forre

Smash Rookie
NNID
Forrre
I think Forre Forre has customized his controls at least partly just to make it easier but I don't have any idea of his unorthodox setup.
From the original GC controller settings, I've changed the following options:
L -> Jump
Z -> Special Attack
X -> Grab
C-Stick -> Attack
(Y -> Shield, I haven't used this button at all)

The point of this setting is to make the possibility to Wave Bounce differently. By pressing Z + C-Stick (left or right) at the same time, Wave Bounce can be done faster, which means bouncing for a little bit of longer distance.

What this setting also does, it makes it possible for right thumb to be on C-Stick the majority of time. It means that desired aerials and tilt attacks are easier to perform with more consistency. It is possible to nair without analog stick being in neutral, which, especially now that Lucario got some aerial speed buffs, makes Lucario a bit more mobile in the air. Though, I think Lucario is still so far away from Jigglypuff and others that this point shouldn't maybe be taken too seriously.

What comes to jump cancelled upsmash, it can be done by keeping analog up while in ASC -> R -> L -> A. It feels pretty simple but I have unconsciously performed it wrong too many times, I think because of hurrying.

I don't recommend this setting if it is not wanted to give some time to learn new settings. Also, I can't attend in Melee tournaments anymore because I simply can't make the right moves with original settings, so if playing Melee, this may not be the thing. I think it is also worth mentioning that Wave Bouncing can be pretty inconsistent since making an input with C-Stick can be hard when trying to match the timing of Z button. I have found out that pushing the stick as fast as possible makes it more consistent to match the timing of Z button. And also, L is what it is, so all sort of hops may feel painful, especially when trying for the first time.

So yeah, this can be quite a mess, but what keeps me having these settings is my beliefe that it can be rewarding to learn to be consistent with these settings. However, I'm open minded towards options that can be proven overall the best for Lucario.

Last edited:

Indigo_

Smash Cadet
From the original GC controller settings, I've changed the following options:
L -> Jump
Z -> Special Attack
X -> Grab
C-Stick -> Attack
(Y -> Shield, I haven't used this button at all)

The point of this setting is to make the possibility to Wave Bounce differently. By pressing Z + C-Stick (left or right) at the same time, Wave Bounce can be done faster, which means bouncing for a little bit of longer distance.

What this setting also does, it makes it possible for right thumb to be on C-Stick the majority of time. It means that desired aerials and tilt attacks are easier to perform with more consistency. It is possible to nair without analog stick being in neutral, which, especially now that Lucario got some aerial speed buffs, makes Lucario a bit more mobile in the air. Though, I think Lucario is still so far away from Jigglypuff and others that this point shouldn't maybe be taken too seriously.

What comes to jump cancelled upsmash, it can be done by keeping analog up while in ASC -> R -> L -> A. It feels pretty simple but I have unconsciously performed it wrong too many times, I think because of hurrying.

I don't recommend this setting if it is not wanted to give some time to learn new settings. Also, I can't attend in Melee tournaments anymore because I simply can't make the right moves with original settings, so if playing Melee, this may not be the thing. I think it is also worth mentioning that Wave Bouncing can be pretty inconsistent since making an input with C-Stick can be hard when trying to match the timing of Z button. I have found out that pushing the stick as fast as possible makes it more consistent to match the timing of Z button. And also, L is what it is, so all sort of hops may feel painful, especially when trying for the first time.

So yeah, this can be quite a mess, but what keeps me having these settings is my beliefe that it can be rewarding to learn to be consistent with these settings. However, I'm open minded towards options that can be proven overall the best for Lucario.
I took a similarly ambitious approach to my controls. I actually use B for jump, L for special, and Z for shield. Like you said, I decided it was worth the extra adjustment period to be able to have a more responsive, more reliable Wave Bounce.

CreatureComforts

Smash Rookie
I might try that. I've been having a lot of trouble with wavebouncing. Though I suck at adjusting to new control schemes...

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
So is it really hard to do this stuff if I don't use custom controls for it? I'm using a GC controller with tap jump off, but my settings are meant for playing fox.

L is shield
R is grab (couldn't adapt due to playing 3ds for so long)
Y is jump
X to special
C stick to attack (For aerial control, easier tilts and uair won't turn into JC Usmash
Z is jump (for AC uairs)

My question is, will it be hard to consistently wavebounce with these controls? I am against changing my setup, and this setup lets me do reverse fairs with Z jump easily with lucario.

Top Bottom