• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Competitive Stage Compilation

Foozal

Smash Apprentice
So rather than fill this thread with competitive stages, I've decided to create this where people can post their competitive stage designs and have a discussion on what works and what doesn't. When stage sharing eventually gets patched into the game, hopefully the description style below is enough to find that stage on the Miiverse, if not then we'll modify the description formatting.

To make things organized, let's use this format:

Nintendo ID: [Insert Nintendo ID here]
Stage Name: [Insert Stage Name Here]
Stage Designer: [Insert stage creators' name]
Stage Size: [1v1 stages are usually small]
Stage Music: [Insert Stage Music here, Ex: (Source Game) - Music Name]
Stage Description: [Include description of the stages, refer to stages in this opening post for examples]
Miiverse Link: [THIS IS A MUST! IF YOU WANT YOUR STAGE ON THE MIIVERSE COMPILATION THEN INCLUDE THIS!!!]

~ Any additional information or notes you'd like to include goes below all images

Stage Sharing Guide by reddit user /u/Ricick:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SmashBrosStages/comments/32rou9/an_introduction_to_stage_sharing/

So are these stages actually compiled somewhere? YES! Check out my shotty guide on how i'm compiling them and how you can take advantage of it!:

Step 1: Drop your gamecube controller and grab your gamepad, no matter how attached you are to it. GAMEPAD IS A MUST!

Step 2: Press the homebutton

Step 3: Go to the Miiverse!

Step 4: Click on ACTIVITY FEED

Step 5: Click on SEARCH USERS

Step 6: Search for "TheFaised"

Step 7: Click on VIEW PROFILE

Step 8: Click on ACTIVITIES

Step 9: If you stay on the POSTS tab, you'll just see all of my miiverse posts. Now for the actual compilation, you'll want to click on the YEAHS tab, I never even use the Miiverse anyway, so the only thing i'll ever yeah is stages that are posted here.

Step 10: Well here you are, the actual compiled list of stages. Scroll through (you'll reach some point where I've yeah'd other things, that's where the earliest compiled stages are). When you see a stage you like, click on that post.

Step 11: Scroll down a bit till you see a START button. Click it

Step 12: Some annoying pop-ups, just keep click OK. Unfortunately the game will restart (if you had smash running). However once all the annoying shenanigans is out of the way, your downloaded stage will appear on your custom stages section when selecting a stage. CONGRATULATIONS!

Step 13: After you've downloaded all of your favourite stages, drop the gamepad and pick up that beauty you dropped all the way back in Step 1 and get back to smash!

EXAMPLE:
Nintendo ID: TheSupremeFace

Stage Name: Dream Drop Cliff

Stage Designer: TheFaised

Stage Size: Small

Stage Music: Kirby - Gourmet Race

Stage Description:
A hilly terrain with two small platforms floating at each end. Two moving platforms move from each bottom corner of the blastzone to the edges of the stage.

Miiverse Link: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkBQURanw

So any stages that REALLY stand out will be here in the opening post. These stages are only here if requested by many users.

Competitive Stage Hall of Fame

~ No stages at the moment

Last edited:

Foozal

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo ID: TheSupremeFace
Stage Name: Broken Floats
Stage Music: (Kid Icarus) - Hades's Infernal Theme
Stage Description: The Platforms move across the entire stage border (from blastzone to blastzone). The ledges of the inner platform are grabbable. The outer ledges of the outer platforms are grabbable.

Last edited:

Foozal

Smash Apprentice
Stage Name: Sky Eden
Stage Music: (The Legend of Zelda) - Great Temple / Temple

Stage Description: Outermost rocks have grabbable ledges on the ends. Thin bits can be dropped through to add more potential combo game.

Quinfordmac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
quinford_GameCo
For the Broken Floats stage, I'd imagine it would just be "better" if it were one large moving platform ala Smashville as opposed to two small ones.

(About to post my stage)

Quinfordmac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
quinford_GameCo
Stage Name: Dracula's Moonrock (I based this off Dracula's Castle in PM)
Stage Designer: quinfordmac
Stage Music: (Xenoblade Chronicles) - An Obstacle in our Path
Stage Description: Two platforms sway to the middle and back, while another three occasionaly rise from the ground.

When the platforms rise, very interesting combos can occur.

Here's how it is when the platform reaches the top:

Foozal

Smash Apprentice
@ Quinfordmac Quinfordmac

Dracula's Moon rock does look interesting with the platform game! Perhaps have the upper platforms be one or two blocks higher?
I can't really see if it'll work out though unless I play on it :I

Quinfordmac

Smash Journeyman
NNID
quinford_GameCo
Stage Name: Broken Floats
Stage Music: (Kid Icarus) - Hades's Infernal Theme
Stage Description: The Platforms move across the entire stage border (from blastzone to blastzone). The ledges of the inner platform are grabbable. The outer ledges of the outer platforms are grabbable.

Recreating this stage, I noticed the blastzones were very, very close. I switched it to "large" while keeping the shapes in the same place with the same size. Now it's my second favorite stage (Besides Dracula's Moonrock of course :p). Nice job on it!

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The question I gotta ask is what about any of these creations make them competitive? What issue are you attempting to resolve or why does it improve the stage list?
More stages doesn't necessarily mean a better competitive game. Without justifications I don't know how they're meant to be able to be used.
I do like some of these though as ideas.

Also just a nuance, but why is the music/background used relevant? :p

Last edited:

Foozal

Smash Apprentice
Recreating this stage, I noticed the blastzones were very, very close. I switched it to "large" while keeping the shapes in the same place with the same size. Now it's my second favorite stage (Besides Dracula's Moonrock of course :p). Nice job on it!
Well I kept the stage size small so people don't keep on living forever (which is an annoying issue with the game)...but I can see how it'd be weird. Glad you like it!

grandgear

Smash Rookie
The question I gotta ask is what about any of these creations make them competitive? What issue are you attempting to resolve or why does it improve the stage list?
More stages doesn't necessarily mean a better competitive game. Without justifications I don't know how they're meant to be able to be used.

Also just a nuance, but why is the music/background used relevant? :p
Finally, someone with questions:grin:

I think the user Cobbs wanted to explore what features/hazards a customized stage can bring to the competitive metagame.
I thought it was a great idea to keep the stages in a different thread while keeping the discussion to Cobbs's. I bet we even could quote stages we like from here into the original thread.

I also think, the one benefit that customized stages have over the default ones is that the features/hazards don't change from stage transition/transformations. If we put stages in tiers of complexity, I would place competitive customized stages above simple platform stages and below transforming stages.
Sorta like (omega -> battlefield -> customized -> transforming)

I think competitive customized stages can give a new dimension to the standard stage metagame. It would be like adding platforms to an omega stage. These platforms would be the new tools for someone approaching a projectile character while forcing that projectile character into thinking of different positions rather than to just stick to the edges and spam. But instead of doing what has been done before, we could explore different stage characteristics, and discuss how they improved or discourage skillful play.

Here are some examples:

Centerwall
Raised Ledges
No grab-able ledges
Small lava hazards

I also just wanted to say that I am against larges stage since they tend to turn into chasing matches. They're not fun to watch or play against. And sorry for how wordy this reply is :/

I'll repost this reply in the original thread so that we can try to keep the discussion there.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You misunderstood me. I'm not arguing against using custom stages, I'm asking you to explain why your stage creation is actually valid.
Each individual one. Otherwise why would I want to (as a TO/competitive player/outsider/etc) use any of these presented thus far in tournaments? I may agree with the reason for one and actually use it, but as they are, it isn't sufficient (you'll hear the argument in any region/discussion about bringing these in).

If you don't have a design intention in mind, I wouldn't trust your creation anyway.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I've made a video of my own ideas, and I stress these points - redundancy is not what should be aimed for. These stages in this thread so far seem alright enough in concept and I suppose aren't too redundant, but they don't strike an 'a-ha' feeling in me. Custom stages are cool though and I could see one or two iconic custom stages being adopted into the ruleset down the road.

Foozal

Smash Apprentice
I've made a video of my own ideas, and I stress these points - redundancy is not what should be aimed for. These stages in this thread so far seem alright enough in concept and I suppose aren't too redundant, but they don't strike an 'a-ha' feeling in me. Custom stages are cool though and I could see one or two iconic custom stages being adopted into the ruleset down the road.
Yeah i'm hoping this thread will eventually produce something that really stands out (Hence the hall of fame). It's also interesting to see what people can come up with.

grandgear

Smash Rookie
You misunderstood me. I'm not arguing against using custom stages, I'm asking you to explain why your stage creation is actually valid.
Each individual one. Otherwise why would I want to (as a TO/competitive player/outsider/etc) use any of these presented thus far in tournaments? I may agree with the reason for one and actually use it, but as they are, it isn't sufficient (you'll hear the argument in any region/discussion about bringing these in).

If you don't have a design intention in mind, I wouldn't trust your creation anyway.
Ah, my bad. Your post does seem easily misunderstood. Good questions either way :)

Rifick

Smash Cadet
Hi. My name is rifick.
I've always been more of a lurker on smashboards. Mostly because I am bad at competitive smash.
Because I never post I can not post links yet so you will unfortunately have to copy/paste them in into the address bar. :/
I will update the post whence I've earned the privilege.
Anywho. I've been spending a lot of time with the sm4sh stage editor, and recently have been making an effort to create stages more viable for competition. I currently have 3 posted and more on the way.
The stages are Peak, Omega Station and my most recent, Ocean Palace.

All relevant information is available in the Links.

Ocean Palace:

Rifick.tumblr.com/post/106045019402/stage-name-ocean-palace-size-medium-music

Omega Station:

ridiculous.tumblr.com/post/105540704837/ive-decided-to-create-competitive-variants-of

Peak:

rifick.tumblr.com/post/105341702797/stage-name-peak-size-small-music-category-kid

If you enjoy these stage I have others like them littered all over my tumblr and always more on the way.

rifick.tumblr.com

Last edited:

Rifick

Smash Cadet
I really like the design of Ocean Palace! The aesthetics of it are nicely done!
Thanks bud. A lot more went into that one. On top of gameplay wanted to make it look and feel simmilar my favourite Zelda stages. The fact that it turned out competitive friendly was just a nice bonus.
The only point of contention for me has been deciding between the small and medium arena size. With the small size the blast zones feel good. I like the that smash attacks feel more dangerous, but the camera is kinda close to the sides of the stage. Medium feels closer to the rest of the stages (Blast zone's farther out, more space on cam around the edges), and will probably be where I end up.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Stage Name: Super Smash Flash 2- Sky Sanctuary zone
Stage Designer: Goldonhead (Me)
Stage Size: Medium
Stage Music: (Sonic the Hedgehog) Angel Island Zone
Stage Description: This is a counterpick stage in its source game. The platforms are wide and low, and wall jumps are encouraged. The dimensions have been replicated exactly, using Mario in both games to measure.

STAGE IMAGES:

Stage Name: 64- Tutorial Stage
Stage Music: (Super Smash Bros.) Results Display Screen
Stage Description: The Tutorial stage in Super Smash Bros. 64, viewable by waiting on the title screen or hacking. It's a fair-sized stage with a single platform, allowing both platform-based and open air-based play depending on one's zoning ability. The dimensions have been recreated exactly.
  • Editing note: Here, the stage is off-center on the grid for the sake of authenticity to the source. It's strongly recommended that you center it if you intend to use it competitively.
  • Editing note: The diamond shapes are solid, the layers ascending from bottom to top. Make the main platform last.
STAGE IMAGES:

Stage Name: Project M - Pokémon Stadium M
Stage Size: Medium (Ignore the grid boundaries. I accidentally made mine too small, which means my blast zones are too close.
Stage Music: (Pokémon) Poké Floats
Stage Description: This one needs no introduction. I made it in preparation for my main's arrival in the next couple months. :mewtwopm::mewtwopm::mewtwopm:

STAGE IMAGES:

Stage Name: Shifting Stadium
Stage Size: Large
Stage Music: (Pilotwings) Turbo Jet
Stage Description: I made this stage to train on as many possible scenarios as I could. The platforms are out of sync with each other, giving the illusion of a randomized layout.

STAGE IMAGES:

Stage Name: Neopets Battledome
Stage Music: (Fire Emblem) Duty (Ablaze)
Stage Description: A wide, low stage that benefits characters with high mobility. The solid pillars at the top platform are too far from the main platform to function as caves of life, but dashing on top of them can provide some quick defense.

STAGE IMAGES:

Last edited:

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Stage Name: Panel de Pon
Stage Designer: EmblemCrossing (Me)
Stage Music: Panel de Pon - Lip's Theme
Stage Description: Since the music wasn't in Smash 4, I didn't want to just recreate Melee's Fountain of Dreams. This stage's platforms rise and fall at different paces, resulting in a variety of stage positions and situations, much like Fountain of Dreams. At times it's a Battlefield clone, other times it has a PM Pokemon Stadium 2 vibe. General feedback from my group is that it's fun and the gimmick of changing platforms isn't too hectic for serious play.

image.jpg

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Stage Name: Panel de Pon
Stage Designer: EmblemCrossing (Me)
Stage Music: Panel de Pon - Lip's Theme
Stage Description: Since the music wasn't in Smash 4, I didn't want to just recreate Melee's Fountain of Dreams. This stage's platforms rise and fall at different paces, resulting in a variety of stage positions and situations, much like Fountain of Dreams. At times it's a Battlefield clone, other times it has a PM Pokemon Stadium 2 vibe. General feedback from my group is that it's fun and the gimmick of changing platforms isn't too hectic for serious play.

View attachment 34748
Would you mind if I edited the aesthetics a bit to visually fit Panel De Pon more without changing how the stage functions? I think I have some idea how...

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Would you mind if I edited the aesthetics a bit to visually fit Panel De Pon more without changing how the stage functions? I think I have some idea how...
Not at all, though to be honest, I just made the stage so I could hear that song. I love that song so much. If you can make it look more pleasing than my floaty rock formation, please do.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Not at all, though to be honest, I just made the stage so I could hear that song. I love that song so much. If you can make it look more pleasing than my floaty rock formation, please do.
It's done. Here's my attempt at Lip's stage, Flower World;

AAD7D98B-7BFA-4FDC-ADC4-34A74F19A90C.JPG

B6C7F9E0-D320-4CA0-8EA9-6C967302858E.JPG

----

EDIT: One more stage I made on a whim.

Stage Name: Animal Crossing: December 31, 2030
Stage Designer: Baffle Blend
Stage Music: (Animal Crossing) Outdoors at 7 pm/Main Street
Stage Description: Animal Crossing is common in tournaments, but not a very dark environment for a battle. So turn forward the clock - a desolate town of the dead, weeds everywhere. This is a very centrifugal stage. Trying to maneuver from one end to the other will probably lead to you being pushed up by the Wishing Well, which may lead to some near-misses. Most play will take place on the open ledges, though it might not, thanks to the small blast zones potentially ending things quickly. And remember: this is all your fault, Mayor.

621D94F2-1CBE-42A3-8BD9-9D1BE4B5D399.JPG

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Stage Name: WarioWare Inc.
Stage Designer: Merricktherox
Stage Music: WarioWare - WarioWare Inc. Medley
Stage Description: This is a near perfect replica of WarioWare Inc, first seen in Brawl, without the hazards associated with it, just like Project M! It consists of the main base platform, which is slightly wider than the original, and has two platforms on each side, the middle and top platform being smallest. The blastzones are very close in relation to the main platform, so staying away from the ledges at higher percentages is wise. Vertical kills easiest along the highest platform, and several juggling and tech chase instances can occur due to the additional platforms. It's simple, yet effective layout has made this custom stage a great one in my hosted tournaments as a counterpick.
warioware custom stage.jpg

The custom stage, took a lot of editing to get it just right surprisingly. Pretty accurate, hmm?
warioware inc.png

The original I used for reference as seen in Brawl.

[I don't currently have a image of this stage with the grid, although given the simple nature of it, it ought to be very simple to recreate as shown. I'll get to it soon nonetheless.]

Last edited:

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Have they updated so that we can actually download people's stages yet?
Wouldn't mind this Warioware remake!

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Finally, someone with questions:grin:

I think the user Cobbs wanted to explore what features/hazards a customized stage can bring to the competitive metagame.
I thought it was a great idea to keep the stages in a different thread while keeping the discussion to Cobbs's. I bet we even could quote stages we like from here into the original thread.

I also think, the one benefit that customized stages have over the default ones is that the features/hazards don't change from stage transition/transformations. If we put stages in tiers of complexity, I would place competitive customized stages above simple platform stages and below transforming stages.
Sorta like (omega -> battlefield -> customized -> transforming)

I think competitive customized stages can give a new dimension to the standard stage metagame. It would be like adding platforms to an omega stage. These platforms would be the new tools for someone approaching a projectile character while forcing that projectile character into thinking of different positions rather than to just stick to the edges and spam. But instead of doing what has been done before, we could explore different stage characteristics, and discuss how they improved or discourage skillful play.

Here are some examples:

Centerwall
Raised Ledges
No grab-able ledges
Small lava hazards

I also just wanted to say that I am against larges stage since they tend to turn into chasing matches. They're not fun to watch or play against. And sorry for how wordy this reply is :/

I'll repost this reply in the original thread so that we can try to keep the discussion there.

now this right here is a great post. center wall and raised ledges can offer new and refreshing playstyles that we have yet to explore in smash 4.

also, im assuming the center wall isnt actually a wall though, right? you could roll, walk, etc over it? but itll block projectiles.

we should also do more asymmetrical stages. now, some might argue that with asymmetrical stages whoever spawns on this or that side of the stage will have an advantage. this might be true but if your character cant deal with whatever advantage that might be, just dont pick the stage.

Stage Name: Sky Eden
Stage Music: (The Legend of Zelda) - Great Temple / Temple

Stage Description: Outermost rocks have grabbable ledges on the ends. Thin bits can be dropped through to add more potential combo game.

this right here is also a great post. drop thru platform as the main platform is great. i would like to play on a stage like this

Last edited:

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
I'll be honest, I feel like no one with any control over tournament legality would ever agree to lava anywhere. 10% damage on one touch is pretty huge, no matter where it is.

Rifick

Smash Cadet
If it's somewhere out of the way, I don't see an issue with it. I have a stage where you only see it touched in the clutchest of offstage moments.

Imgur.com/a/oUbGE

The only real problem with the above stage for competitive play, was having two partial walls in close proximity, thus the competitive variant.

I do still wish we had control over the damage, knock back and, colour so it could see more use, because right now you're probably on the money even if it is technically possible.

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
Stage Name: WarioWare Inc.

The custom stage, took a lot of editing to get it just right surprisingly. Pretty accurate, hmm?

[I don't currently have a image of this stage with the grid, although given the simple nature of it, it ought to be very simple to recreate as shown. I'll get to it soon nonetheless.]
It honestly looks way to big

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
It honestly looks way to big
Are you referring to the main bottom platform itself, the floating ones above, or just the space in general? I wish you could edit blast zones and such with this, but ayyy.

Ticker

Smash Apprentice
Are you referring to the main bottom platform itself, the floating ones above, or just the space in general? I wish you could edit blast zones and such with this, but ayyy.
The scaling seems off. The height of the platforms seem about right, but the main platform is a little big.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
The scaling seems off. The height of the platforms seem about right, but the main platform is a little big.
warioware inc.jpg

This is about as compact as I can get the main bottom platform without it being too tight. Also comparing it with Brawl's, this one is even closer to the original scale-wise. What do you think?

Foozal

Smash Apprentice
Recently posted a compilation of my competitive stages. Some of them you may have seen in my post before this one, but there are a few new ones I'm really happy with as well.

imgur.com/a/MHb6J

Again, I am pre-10 posts, so you will have to copy/past the link into the adress bar. Sorry. :p
These look amazing! I'm not sure about competitive viability though until I try some of these out. Good job!

Raijinken

Smash Master
I've been "importing" some past stages (including Wario Ware, Yoshi's Island Brawl, and Reset Bomb Forest) based on Mario's roll length and size as a measure. It's impossible to fully mimic in a lot of cases.

And to answer "Why", it's because a different set of stages will influence character matchup options and whatnot in the competitive sense. To answer Shaya's question, unique platform placement/movement alone is sufficient to at least consider these over the defaults. Any stage creation here that meets the standard definition of a "fair" stage is worth experimenting with. Honestly, if it leads to something more dynamic and fair than flat+plat, I'm a fan.

If you can, say, recreate the "good" parts of Kalos (the unique platform layout, for instance) without the hazards, then you can have a cycling stagelist across iterations of a tournament, or can reach some "target" number of stages without even having to consider "borderline" cases as has been discussed in numerous threads about renovating the stage selection process for more fairness.

You can functionally expand the "unquestionably legal" stagelist from Battlefield, FD, Smashville, Town, Duck Hunt, Kongo to include some borderline cases (Lylat for tilting, Siege for walkoff, Delfino for water and walkoff, Halberd for hazard, Stadium 2 for transformations, etc) redesigned without those hazards. You can extend that to other stages, too (Wuhu Island, Skyworld, Skyloft, etc), which generally have unique platform configurations to bring to the fight, but are otherwise frowned upon for their variability.

A design direction of "Make a unique platform configuration" or "make ____ without hazards" or "rebuild <Past stage>" is more than enough for me to want to try your stage out. And, unlike existing stages, if we have a problem with a custom stage, it's a matter of mere minutes to fix an issue, whereas the only option with an official stage is to start a heated debate between banning it or not.

Of course, you're also able to take platform layouts as inspiration, and expand them into new ideas. I'm working on a stage called Crateria based on Brinstar (Melee). Already imported a modification of Brinstar, but making something wider than four Mario-rolls with comparable platform design would bring new considerations to gameplay.

Will upload some of my creations whenever I find a good means of screencapping my U. Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Will upload some of my creations whenever I find a good means of screencapping my U. Anyone have suggestions?
Miiverse posts if you want the grid (it gives you the choice of screencapping the tv or gamepad when you post from ingame) or if you just want the stage then go into Smash mode and take a screenshot. It saves to the SD card and you can pull it out and stick it in your computer and upload the .jpg.

Last edited:
Top Bottom