• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Custom Characters! (NEW! "Ami" and "Snake" 13/05/2020)

Which character do you want to see next?

• Ryu over C. Falcon (with his own moveset oc)

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Decloned Ganon

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • WARIO TIME!!! (with his own moveset oc)

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Lucina over Marth (not yet confirmed but leave your votes anyway)

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • help me I don't know how to remove this poll now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

N0XXKATT

Smash Cadet
That looks really neat, but that would be a waste of character slot when we only got 2 per-character (not including the original character) to work with in the first place. Would definitely be great as a 20XX addition (if Achilles ever comes back that is) We also got Mario fully occupied by both Wario and Sonic, so that Mario is, unfortunately, out of the question. On the bright side, at least it's exclusive to your mod!

Melee-style Lucina would indeed be awesome, i'm fine with just static hair, but only if it is as long as Lucina's hair actually is (one of my dissapointments with the old model import that cut her hair down to Marth-levels of hair, along with the mask and weird texture bugs)

Yeah, i was going to credit you even if you didn't ask for it because your model imports are very neat! Hope you don't mind though, i'm going to edit the textures on your model imports so they got better shading and a bit more detail, because right now they look a little bit flat, being mostly 1-color.

Also, what is SSBC all about? Model imports and edited stages or even new movesets and things like that?
If you're ok with that, then i'll get right to work on it in blender ~

As for mario thats understandable i forgot his slots were all taken xD and SSBC is a complete remodeling of the game, to replace moves with classic ones from the most original games, stages from times like the 90's (for instance im working on a stage that looks like an arcade cabinet running Mario Bros on it XD) and most important to me, the character models. Though i change the movesets, i'll be releasing two different packs one with new movesets and one with the vanilla ones.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
If you're ok with that, then i'll get right to work on it in blender ~

As for mario thats understandable i forgot his slots were all taken xD and SSBC is a complete remodeling of the game, to replace moves with classic ones from the most original games, stages from times like the 90's (for instance im working on a stage that looks like an arcade cabinet running Mario Bros on it XD) and most important to me, the character models. Though i change the movesets, i'll be releasing two different packs one with new movesets and one with the vanilla ones.
That's a good idea for a mod, hope it goes well, Looking forward to that arcade cabinet stage!

By the way, here's the Snake retexture: https://stacksmash.kontek.net/STUFFZ/SSBM/Characters/Captain Falcon/Solid_Snake.rar
That's the model you should import Smash 2 Snake's head over.

Scrubtastic

Smash Rookie
In this thread, i will put downloads for any custom characters i create.

You can post your own custom characters here, but you need to follow these rules:
1.- Your character must have a custom model (or modified enough to be recognized as a different character)
2.- Your character must have a custom moveset (or again, modified enough to have a few different moves)
3.- Your character should not be already in Melee
4.- Your character doesn't necessarily need to have custom models for each costume (PM me for more info about this)

If your character follows all these rules correctly, it will be added here.

Decloned characters are also acceptable too, so for instance, decloned Dr. Mario is good enough to put on this list.

On with the characters:
Sonic the Hedgehog over Mario v1.0
View attachment 175986
NOTE: Will give Sonic his own moveset and animations eventually, maybe in a couple years or so :p
and maybe make him go over Dr. Mario

4 Players all as Sonic will make the framerate drop a LOT, 3 players appears to be fine, but try to only use 2 Sonics per match.

-Speed is slightly faster than Fox's

-Jumping now has the Screw Attack animation

-F-Tilt now has the 3rd jab animation (the original F-Tilt distorted Sonic quite a bit)

-3rd jab is now up aerial

-D-Special has the Screw Attack animation, greatly reducing endlag and making it a better recovery move

-Taunt is now the original D-Special animation, because Sonic with that Mario taunt didn't look good

-F-Air is supposed to be 2x faster but i didn't include this because that requires modifying the .dol

@zankyou = Model Importer
Smash 2 Team = Sonic model
@CalvinHedgewolf13 = Helped getting Sonic to work over other costumes (Don't bother him about this, if you need to, PM me)
@Ampers = for CrazyHand, the moveset editor
@Itaru = for his discoveries in characters' moveset files

@MagicScrumpy remake that sonic in melee video pls

NOTE: This doesn't allow for something like, Sonic and Mario on the same match. Instead, this makes it so you can quickly switch between Sonic and Mario on the Character Select Screen, without having to reset the console and switch ISOs or anything.

WARNING: This replaces the previous alternate costumes you had on that slot! Think twice if you don't care about those colors!

Step 1 - Open (a copy of) your 20XX ISO in DAT Texture Wizard

Step 2 - Extract the .zip containing the custom character's file on some folder

Step 3 - Rename all of the costumes (DTW tells you which of the original files are costumes) to either have .rat or .lat instead of the .dat extension, if it's .lat, switching to that costume is done with the L button, if it's .rat, then you switch using the R button. Import the renamed files into the .ISO replacing the original alternate costumes that came with 20XX.

Step 4 - Rename the main character file (Usually PlXX.dat) so the extension now says either .sat or .pat. If it's .sat, it replaces the SD Remix moveset for that character. If it's .pat, it replaces the PAL moveset for that character. Choose wisely!
After that, import that file into the .ISO replacing the original alt moveset file.

Step 5 - Save and let the ISO rebuild, load up on Dolphin or Wii.

Step 6 - At the Character Select Screen, press the button you assigned in Step 3 to switch to that character, and switch to the corresponding moveset you replaced in Step 4 (Yellow and Blue background means PAL, Purple and Red background means SD Remix)

Step 7 - Enjoy!

So when i try and add the Sonic mod over Mario being the model as the move set over Mario's works PIMrBu.dat It says the file is too large to import and i was wondering if someone could help me out with it

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
So when i try and add the Sonic mod over Mario being the model as the move set over Mario's works PIMrBu.dat It says the file is too large to import and i was wondering if someone could help me out with it
Import it using DAT Texture Wizard (that's a link) and then save as normal, it will rebuild your ISO and it will work fine.

N0XXKATT

Smash Cadet
Bare with me on these models TDRR, i'm in the process of moving into a new house, so nothing but the router is still set up, my desk and everything is taken and packed up. It will get done tho.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Bare with me on these models TDRR, i'm in the process of moving into a new house, so nothing but the router is still set up, my desk and everything is taken and packed up. It will get done tho.
No worries, i can wait as long as necessary, i'm not in a hurry to finish this. Still, the sooner you can, the better.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
rip im on a ******** mac book so i cant runt DAT
In that case i can't help you much. Try installing Python on your Mac and ask DRGN DRGN for the base DTW .py file. (And from there you would double click on that file and DTW should run)

NOTE: I'm not completely sure it's going to work at all, as DTW makes use of 2 external Windows programs, but it's something you can try. Or just get Bootcamp running on your Mac and put Windows on that. Or just get an actually good PC with Windows or Linux instead of an overpriced toaster like what a Mac is.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
I saw this thread and thought the sonic thing looked cool so i went ahead and made a CSS icon for it, hope it's good
That looks pretty good! Sadly i don't think it will be used on this project unless someone figures out a way to add new CSS slots. At least anyone using this standalone on their Melee ISO can make use of this, thanks!

dude30500

Smash Cadet

I tried messing around with the CSS by adding a 26th slot in place of the blank space where you'd normally select random characters, and some weird side effects occured, but there might be a bit of hope that more characters could be added.

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
I tried messing around with the CSS by adding a 26th slot in place of the blank space where you'd normally select random characters, and some weird side effects occured, but there might be a bit of hope that more characters could be added.
That's really neat, but this is somewhat known information. The real issue is duplicating character data, which no one has ever done (Or just never tried to do). After that, if it ever gets done, all we need from that point is a way to switch to those new character data slots on the CSS. No matter if it's not with new icons (Which i don't really expect to be possible with our current knowledge of how the Melee CSS works, but with some more research it could be done) because at least we could have around 100-300 available slots if we were to replace the Tournament Mode code region with new character slots.
This can definitely be done if we found out a way to extend the character base data table on the .DOL (If you want to try it, look for "PlMr.dat" on the .dol and most likely you will find it) and find all of the other data for the characters. Which is the hardest part because it's all over different parts of the .dol and IIRC we haven't found everything yet.

What would be extremely useful is figuring out how to resize and move the icons around on the CSS. Possibly if Smash Forge gets support for editing the CSS model (Or just painstakingly doing so manually via hex editing or DTW's structural analysis or whatever it's called)

Hey, if it makes you feel better, you can now have Giga Bowser on your CSS without replacing anything else!

Last edited:

Heyzeus_18

Smash Cadet
That's really neat, but this is somewhat known information. The real issue is duplicating character data, which no one has ever done (Or just never tried to do). After that, if it ever gets done, all we need from that point is a way to switch to those new character data slots on the CSS. No matter if it's not with new icons (Which i don't really expect to be possible with our current knowledge of how the Melee CSS works, but with some more research it could be done) because at least we could have around 100-300 available slots if we were to replace the Tournament Mode code region with new character slots.
This can definitely be done if we found out a way to extend the character base data table on the .DOL (If you want to try it, look for "PlMr.dat" on the .dol and most likely you will find it) and find all of the other data for the characters. Which is the hardest part because it's all over different parts of the .dol and IIRC we haven't found everything yet.

What would be extremely useful is figuring out how to resize and move the icons around on the CSS. Possibly if Smash Forge gets support for editing the CSS model (Or just painstakingly doing so manually via hex editing or DTW's structural analysis or whatever it's called)

Hey, if it makes you feel better, you can now have Giga Bowser on your CSS without replacing anything else!
Ploaj has a tool in the works to be able to move stuff like css, sss, and stages

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Ploaj has a tool in the works to be able to move stuff like css, sss, and stages
That's a good advancement, but we'd still need
to extend the character base data table on the .DOL (If you want to try it, look for "PlMr.dat" on the .dol and most likely you will find it) and find all of the other data for the characters.
To be able to add new characters.
But i'm very happy some work is going into CSS and SSS customization, i thought it would take much more time!

Dan

Smash Lord
This is pretty dope... I had no idea Melee could be modded to this degree.

Poll is over, but I'm with the majority in that I would love to see Wario since he was next on the original docket (overalls pls).

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Lol I feel kinda dumb, I figured out my own way to make Costumes come with their own moveset but then I realized that 20XX does the same thing. Although, I figured out how to have more than a single move set per-character in a game at a time. Guess I gotta get with the times and get myself the 20XX mod pack xD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukjJgYQguV4&feature=youtu.be
That's neat and everything, but if you could make it cycle between movesets using the L or R button, that would be awesome! I desperately want to get rid of the 20XX requirement because it breaks literally anything that isn't VS. Mode on real console, and ideally, this project should be compatible with most custom ISOs out there except 20XX (As in, the only thing you need to do is figuring out which region is not occupied so you can inject the character switch code to it)

If you need some ideas in how to get the input, _glook _glook made a omega stage toggle code and on the forum post he also added instructions.

If you need incentive to do that, here's some: 20XX is good but it's far too bulky and you can't put your own codes into it. If you did this code, everyone would be free to add their custom movesets to any of their custom ISOs without having to forcibly use 20XX as a base.

This is pretty dope... I had no idea Melee could be modded to this degree.

Poll is over, but I'm with the majority in that I would love to see Wario since he was next on the original docket (overalls pls).
Heh, just so you know this is at least 3 years old information so i'm quite suprised you didn't know. I take it you haven't been around the Melee Workshop much?

I really wish it could be modded more though, to the extent of Brawl. Now THAT would be dope.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Updated with a new character, Yumi from Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi over Dr. Mario. Not sure, but I think this may be the first full model import (as in, has all costumes replaced) replacing a character other than Mario ever released.

If you have downloaded Yumi over Black Mario, you'll definitely want to upgrade to this as a LOT of issues have been fixed and it's overall MUCH better.

Additionally, Sonic over Mario has been "deprecated" since a far better Sonic import over another character is possibly on the way (Not by me, though), and it shouldn't take too long to arrive.

Oh, and almost forgot, my planned next character was actually Snake over Falcon, however that's still impossible for the moment unfortunately, and there's just TONS of bugs I don't yet know how to fix with that import. Sorry!

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and almost forgot, my planned next character was actually Snake over Falcon, however that's still impossible for the moment unfortunately, and there's just TONS of bugs I don't yet know how to fix with that import. Sorry!
Remember that? Well, I fixed that days later, lol. And with that, we get not one, but TWO new characters! Solid Snake over Captain Falcon, and Ami Onuki over Luigi. Both replace all the costumes and CSS cosmetics (and also the names).

Neither include a new moveset, sadly, but if anyone wants to make one (and use my broken attempt at a Snake moveset), then be my guest!

Top Bottom