• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Custom Characters! (NEW! "Ami" and "Snake" 13/05/2020)

Which character do you want to see next?

• Ryu over C. Falcon (with his own moveset oc)

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Decloned Ganon

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • WARIO TIME!!! (with his own moveset oc)

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Lucina over Marth (not yet confirmed but leave your votes anyway)

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • help me I don't know how to remove this poll now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
NOTE: All these custom characters (and perhaps more) are in the process of being moved into Melee XT as toggleable characters. Currently as of version 2.1, Snake, Yumi and Lucina are all playable and have modified movesets plus all of these costumes. Ami and Sonic might be added as reskins of their respective characters in a later update (I'm waiting to put Sonic over Fox and fix Ami's sorting issues, mainly).
https://smashboards.com/threads/mel...-better-snake-more-stages-crash-fixes.458303/
Extracting the characters from that mod for personal use is fine. If they're to be put into another mod, that's fine too but please give credit to me and the original creators of the models.

In this thread, I'll put downloads for any custom characters I create.
Here's an image showing all the currently available custom characters:
amiyumisnake.png

You can post your own custom characters here, but you need to follow these rules:
1.- Your character must have a custom model (or modified enough to be recognized as a different character)
2.- Your character must have a custom moveset (or again, modified enough to have a few different moves) (Not necessary for early versions)
3.- Your character doesn't necessarily need to have custom models for each costume (PM me for more info about this)

If your character follows all these rules correctly, it will be added here.

Decloned characters are also acceptable too, so for instance, decloned Dr. Mario is good enough to put on this list.

Other notes:
Characters may be denoted (Lagless) or (Not lagless). Lagless characters can be safely played with 4 players on nearly every level with no visible performance issues or the same amount of lag that would be experienced with regular Melee characters in real console.
Not lagless characters instead will most likely reduce performance significantly when 4 players use all the same character, or even two in FoD may be enough to bog down performance a bit on real console. Not sure how Dolphin would stack up running them however.

Common stuff: Grab the "TDRR Import names.txt" file from the attachments below, and drop it into your Melee Code Manager "Mods Library" folder, so you can then patch your .dol file to have the proper character names, as seen in the screenshots.

On with the characters:
Ami Onuki over Luigi v0.5a (Lagless)
ami_melee.png

amicss.png

Ami from Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, as a full-on replacement for Luigi, including her own CSS cosmetics and name, plus obviously the custom model I made.
Currently, moveset is perfectly identical to Luigi (and you can use any Luigi moveset you want, even SD Remix's for instance).

A Brawl port but without the upcoming moveset is also in the works.

(as a side note, I really like how the CSP turned out!)

1. What the heck is wrong with her skirt?!
A: I tried to fix the bug Yumi has with the constant clipping on her skirt, and it had... quite mixed results. I'll look into improving this further for another version.

2. Her hands are always clenched, but why?
A: Luigi's hand bones don't fit into Ami's, and as much as I tried moving around vertices so it would work, things were messy and broken to say the least.
The thumb in particular was just super distorted, I'd rather have them always clenched than randomly contort in horrible ways.

3. What's wrong with her hair tufts?
A: Long story short, I put all of the textures into a single 512x512 for compatiblity with almost any engine I could think of, but Melee (or well, the GCs GX graphics system) has trouble properly sorting all of it, so the tufts have janky alpha translucency. I'll probably import another version of the model I made earlier that uses no alpha translucency for any effects whatsoever, and that should work, I'll get into it for another version.

Solid Snake over Captain Falcon v0.5a (Not lagless)
snake_melee.png

snakecss.png

Solid Snake, using his Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes design, with his model from Smash 2 is now in Melee!
I planned a moveset and I think I know how to pull it off, however I really don't have the skill to make it work decently (and my animation swaps all crash anyways). If you want the broken moveset file I made, DM me so I can link it to you.

Yumi Yoshimura over Dr. Mario v0.5a (Lagless)
allofthem.png

CSS.png
Yumi from Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, as a full-on replacement for Dr. Mario, including her own announcer call, CSS cosmetics and name, plus obviously the custom model I made.
Currently, moveset is perfectly identical to Dr. Mario (and you can use any Dr .Mario moveset you want, even SD Remix's for instance), but whenever I get HSDraw working I'll start work in changing various moves and adding her trademark guitar (even seen in her CSPs!). I already got the model and know how everything should be done, I just don't have HSDraw up and running here yet.

A Brawl port but without the upcoming moveset is also in the works.

Yumi's costumes reference something either in her own show, or from somewhere else, here's a quick listing of these:
Neutral - Her default look
Red - Colored after Knuckles from the Sonic series
Green - Colored after Invader Zim
Blue - Colored after Hatsune Miku (probably the least obvious one)
Black - Modeled after the outfit she (and Ami) wore in the "Kaz Almighty" segment

1. Her legs clip through her skirt, and her feet don't move, why?
A: Well, unfortunately this importer is quite random in how it works, sometimes multiple bone assignments work fine (used for the skirt to move with the legs) and other times they just get converted into single weights, sometimes the weighting is completely respected and sometimes some of it is ignored (For instance, the Black costume's feet move properly, but even though the feet were rigged in the other models they don't animate at all). I'll try to fix this.

2. Her hands are always clenched, but why?
A: Mario's hand bones don't fit into Yumi's, and as much as I tried moving around vertices so it would work, things were messy and broken to say the least.
The thumb in particular was just super distorted, and I figured since that only like 10% of the time Dr. Mario opens his hands, there wouldn't be any real trouble if I just made them permanently clenched.

All you'll need is the .zip with the character data, a Melee ISO (no matter the mod or version as long as it's not The Falcon Ditto for obvious reasons), and DAT Texture Wizard. (Optionally, Melee Code Manager if you want to change the "Dr. Mario" name to "Yumi"

Part 1 - Installing the models:
Extract the .zip file to any directory of your choice.
Open up DAT Texture Wizard, make a copy of your ISO to install the character into, and then in the filesystem window just rightclick anywhere and press "import multiple files" in the dropdown menu.
Go to where you extracted the .zip file and select all PlDr**.dat files, then press "open" or "select" on the bottom right corner.

That installed the models, now, let's install the announcer call.

Part 2 - Announcer call:
Look for the "audio" folder in your ISO, then into "us", and just look for the "nr_name.ssm" file and rightclick that. In the dropdown menu, press the "import file" option and look for the matching file where you extracted the .zip, in the folder "audio" then into "us". That replaced Dr. Mario's announcer call.

Part 3 - Cosmetics:
This is possibly the most time-consuming part thus far, as the steps require a bit more manual work than before, but it should still be easily doable.
Look for the MnSlChr.usd (Or MnSlChr.dat if you play with the Japanese language enabled) file and then right-click that, and press "browse textures" in the dropdown menu.

Here comes the longer part, now, look for Dr. Mario's CSS icon, rightclick that and in the dropdown menu just select "import texture(s)", and replace it with 0css icon.png, which should be under the "CSP" folder of where you extracted the .zip, all other cosmetics are also in this folder so I'll skip specifying the path again.

Now, all the CSPs are named in such a way that they tell you exactly which Dr. Mario portrait it replaces, so just look for the respective CSPs in the browse textures tab and replace them like you did with the CSS icon.

Now save, and that's it, your Melee ISO now has Yumi over Dr. Mario installed. But wait, didn't we forget to change the CSS name? That's right, but we need Melee Code Manager for that.

Part 4 - Change CSS name:
(NOTE: The name may have to be manually replaced with a hex editor to avoid breaking certain mods! This is just a MCM bug related to identifying which codes are installed and which aren't, so do be careful.)

Go to where you extracted the .zip file, then into the "MCM codes" folder, and copy DrMarioToYumi.txt into your Melee Code Manager's "Mod Library" folder. After this, just open Melee Code Manager.exe as normal, and select your ISO you installed Yumi into, then go into the new code category called "DrMarioToYumi" and apply the code called Change name of Dr. Mario to Yumi" in CSS, then just press the "save" button on the bar to the right.

And that's it, Yumi should now be completely installed over Dr. Mario in the ISO.

Sonic the Hedgehog over Mario v1.0 (NOTE: This character is "deprecated", and to to be replaced with a better version, please be patient) (Not lagless)
eloi.png

NOTE: Will give Sonic his own moveset and animations eventually, maybe in a couple years or so :p
and maybe make him go over Dr. Mario

4 Players all as Sonic will make the framerate drop a LOT, 3 players appears to be fine, but try to only use 2 Sonics per match.

-Speed is slightly faster than Fox's

-Jumping now has the Screw Attack animation

-F-Tilt now has the 3rd jab animation (the original F-Tilt distorted Sonic quite a bit)

-3rd jab is now up aerial

-D-Special has the Screw Attack animation, greatly reducing endlag and making it a better recovery move

-Taunt is now the original D-Special animation, because Sonic with that Mario taunt didn't look good

-F-Air is supposed to be 2x faster but i didn't include this because that requires modifying the .dol

Z zankyou = Model Importer
Smash 2 Team = Sonic model
CalvinHedgewolf13 CalvinHedgewolf13 = Helped getting Sonic to work over other costumes (Don't bother him about this, if you need to, PM me)
Ampers Ampers = for CrazyHand, the moveset editor
Itaru Itaru = for his discoveries in characters' moveset files

NOTE: This doesn't allow for something like, Sonic and Mario on the same match. Instead, this makes it so you can quickly switch between Sonic and Mario on the Character Select Screen, without having to reset the console and switch ISOs or anything.

WARNING: This replaces the previous alternate costumes you had on that slot! Think twice if you don't care about those colors!

Step 1 - Open (a copy of) your 20XX ISO in DAT Texture Wizard

Step 2 - Extract the .zip containing the custom character's file on some folder

Step 3 - Rename all of the costumes (DTW tells you which of the original files are costumes) to either have .rat or .lat instead of the .dat extension, if it's .lat, switching to that costume is done with the L button, if it's .rat, then you switch using the R button. Import the renamed files into the .ISO replacing the original alternate costumes that came with 20XX.

Step 4 - Rename the main character file (Usually PlXX.dat) so the extension now says either .sat or .pat. If it's .sat, it replaces the SD Remix moveset for that character. If it's .pat, it replaces the PAL moveset for that character. Choose wisely!
After that, import that file into the .ISO replacing the original alt moveset file.

Step 5 - Save and let the ISO rebuild, load up on Dolphin or Wii.

Step 6 - At the Character Select Screen, press the button you assigned in Step 3 to switch to that character, and switch to the corresponding moveset you replaced in Step 4 (Yellow and Blue background means PAL, Purple and Red background means SD Remix)

Step 7 - Enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
So, guys, does anyone have a video that demostrates Ryu's moveset? I mean, every single move, it's effects on characters and the animations, if possible, up-close?

U R MR GO

Smash Rookie
Can someone do me a favor? Resize the CSPs included in the .zip to a resolution of 136 x 188? I only have paint to resize and that removes transparency, which looks terrible.

Here you go.
Shadows have been intergrated to be consistant with the rest of Melee's CSPs.

Also it looks like the models are using a fullbright render mode.
Change the render mode values from 10000012 to 00000014 for normal textures, and 0000001c for envmaps.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Also it looks like the models are using a fullbright render mode.
Change the render mode values from 10000012 to 00000014 for normal textures, and 0000001c for envmaps.
Outstanding job with the CSPs!
I'm going to try that out, hopefully it doesn't affect performance too much.

EDIT: It makes Sonic look very authentic now! Thanks for the fix.

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Okay so now Ryu has been deconfirmed, as the current model import i have runs like trash with 2 players, however, Lucina is confirmed!

With how things look right now, seems everyone wants Wario!

vathekid

Smash Apprentice
so a Lucina and wario custom moveset and animations eh? The Question being ofcoarse is who Wario would take up as Marth for lucy is pretty easy to see. Tho this would be much more interesting if the possibility of extra character icons where implemented to keep orginal fighters as well

U R MR GO

Smash Rookie
What image editing program did you use to do that?!?
Paint.NET
If you want specifics as to how I did it, I upscaled the image to 150x188 using bicubic filtering, then cropped it from the right of the image to 136x188. The shadow I did by duplicating the layer, darkening it, and setting the opacity to 96. The shadow was moved 10 pixels down and 10 pixels left, I then guessed where the cropped out parts of the shadow would be and added those sections using the paintbrush tool with 75% hardness.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
With Wario i'm split between Mario for faster model importing or Dr. Mario so we can keep Sonic.

Do note that all this replacement won't be a problem once i get or figure out how to make a alternate character code, it should be very easy, i just don't know where the strings for each player's data load. (Specifically the ones that say "PlXX.dat" "PlXXColorName.dat" and "PlXXAj.dat")

Cool fact: Melee doesn't share moveset files, so we can make Player 1's Mario load completely different files than the ones loaded by Player 2's Mario, in the same match!

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Alright i give up on making animations, not only doing them is extremely difficult (for me), but there's also the fact that BrawlBox absolutely sucks for making animations.

I just finished Sonic's F-Air and it looks HORRIBLE, jerky and unrealistic (Compared to Melee, Brawl and it's mods) so until someone who can actually do decent animations wants to lend me a hand, i'm only going to make model imports with slightly edited movesets.

All Things Gaming 6

Smash Apprentice
Alright i give up on making animations, not only doing them is extremely difficult (for me), but there's also the fact that BrawlBox absolutely sucks for making animations.

I just finished Sonic's F-Air and it looks HORRIBLE, jerky and unrealistic (Compared to Melee, Brawl and it's mods) so until someone who can actually do decent animations wants to lend me a hand, i'm only going to make model imports with slightly edited movesets.
Wait, custom Melee animations are a thing?!?

All Things Gaming 6

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, on the custom textures effects etc. forum there's a guide, you need a good model editor that can do animation though.

I thought this was already common knowledge, seems like i was wrong :p
I am more than happy to be wrong about such a monumental achievement.

Edited to avoid double post:
Cool fact: Melee doesn't share moveset files, so we can make Player 1's Mario load completely different files than the ones loaded by Player 2's Mario, in the same match!
How does that work?

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
I am more than happy to be wrong about such a monumental achievement.

Edited to avoid double post:

How does that work?
I haven't gotten much into it so i'm not 100% sure if it's exactly like this, but you get the point.

In memory there are a bunch of strings that tell the game which file will be loaded for each player. Regardless of character, this is separate for all players.

EG: Player 1's file load string says "PlMrNr.dat" and Player 2's fire load string says "PlMrNr.dat" too, because they are separate, we can change Player 2's to read "PlMrNr.aat" which directs it to a file called PlMrNr.aat on the ISO, thus redirecting the file read altogether and making both player's costumes different.

It seems that this isn't the default behavior, but by nop'ing some functions you can get the results mentioned above.

All Things Gaming 6

Smash Apprentice
I haven't gotten much into it so i'm not 100% sure if it's exactly like this, but you get the point.

In memory there are a bunch of strings that tell the game which file will be loaded for each player. Regardless of character, this is separate for all players.

EG: Player 1's file load string says "PlMrNr.dat" and Player 2's fire load string says "PlMrNr.dat" too, because they are separate, we can change Player 2's to read "PlMrNr.aat" which directs it to a file called PlMrNr.aat on the ISO, thus redirecting the file read altogether and making both player's costumes different.

It seems that this isn't the default behavior, but by nop'ing some functions you can get the results mentioned above.
Is that how it works in 20XX?

Edit: We are getting a little off topic are we?

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Is that how it works in 20XX?

Edit: We are getting a little off topic are we?
It is on topic though, as we are discussing how do alternate costumes and moveset files work, which is vital for new characters in Melee.

Yeah, that is how it works in 20XX.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
I hope that I'm not distracting you too much from Character development.
Truth be told i'm not doing anything at all. I just have been working on Doom mods moreso than Melee mods, i do plan on getting back to these.

That said if anyone wants to contribute animations for the sweet upcoming Wario, then go right ahead!

All Things Gaming 6

Smash Apprentice
Truth be told i'm not doing anything at all. I just have been working on Doom mods moreso than Melee mods, i do plan on getting back to these.

That said if anyone wants to contribute animations for the sweet upcoming Wario, then go right ahead!
That is fitting, as Sakurai stated that if he had more time to add just one more character, he would add Wario to Melee.

N0XXKATT

Smash Cadet
I did wario already if you guys want it
it would make things easier for ya

https://modulous.net/mod/1700/Wario. Nuff said.

Actually I think I might cancel my project soon, so if you want all the custom characters I made then I'm sure it would help and idm sharing lol (Slippy, Raccon Mario, Majora's Ylink, Wrecking Crew Mario and Luigi etc)

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
I did wario already if you guys want it
it would make things easier for ya

https://modulous.net/mod/1700/Wario. Nuff said.

Actually I think I might cancel my project soon, so if you want all the custom characters I made then I'm sure it would help and idm sharing lol (Slippy, Raccon Mario, Majora's Ylink, Wrecking Crew Mario and Luigi etc)
I know about your Wario, but since it's over Mario i don't think it would be a good idea as it would replace Sonic.

Slippy seems interesting, so yeah that would be great!

In other news, i'm going to do a full pack with as many custom characters i can whenever i get/learn how to make an alt character code

Last edited:

N0XXKATT

Smash Cadet
Ahh alright, and tbh if u want any help model wise I am here, really interested in this project. (I'll upload them when I get a chance)

U R MR GO

Smash Rookie
So turns out textures being envmaps is dictated by what DTW refers to as a unknown flag. 00040081 is it. Still might require the render mode 0000001c, idk.

Also a way to make shadows look better, set the diffusion and ambience to b3b3b3ff, and specular highlights to b3b3b3ff.

For example.

Ignore the broken bottons in the first image, just me experementing with the envmaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Good, this may be useful for future characters.

Right now i won't add new characters any time soon because i have been busy.

EDIT: Wait, U R MR GO U R MR GO , is it possible to recreate how Smash 2 looks in Melee? S2's lighting looks amazing compared to Melee's dull lighting.

Last edited:

U R MR GO

Smash Rookie
Brawl's lighting system works very differently to Melee's, so I'm not entirely sure if it's possible.

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Next up will be Wario, it won't be too soon though, i'm somewhat busy.

But be sure it's going to be here either next month or July, with custom moveset and all.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
Added a guide that i should have added a long time ago: Installing the characters as alternate characters in 20XX! Yes, no more switching ISOs to switch between Mario or Sonic, just press two buttons on the CSS and voila, you have switched between Sonic/Mario!

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
N0XXKATT N0XXKATT Can you post all the character models you have done? I'm going to make alt-colored versions of them, and maybe later give them modified movesets.

N0XXKATT

Smash Cadet
hmm... its been a while but i'll look for whatever i have...
Should be:
Lucas
Marth( minor shoulder edits for classic marth
Mario(Wrecking Crew)
Luigi(Wrecking Crew)

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
https://modulous.net/mod/1894/SSBO 2.4 model edits.zip Here ya go

I'll be getting back into modding, so if there is any minor models u want done let me know and i'll take a look at it. :D
Cool, thanks for the models.

Well, there's Smash 2's Snake head over C. Falcon's head, which would be really awesome (Obviously i'm going to retexture the body to look like Snake's suit)
Lucina over Marth could be good and not too difficult, Maybe only the boots, head and a bit of the cape (To add the hair over it so it also waves with the wind) would be needed. Mostly because the current import is honestly not good enough.

N0XXKATT

Smash Cadet
hmm snake for falcon? I can try, but the method i use might make it glitch a bit (shoot slippy's gun, and pause the game. You'll see what i mean LOL) but i can always try :D as for lucina, i can attempt that too. I was going to try for a pokemon trainer model mod on the ice climbers as well (popo is the pokemon, nana is the trainer and follows right behind) as for anything moving, i doubt with my skill i can do that.. i mostly just replace model parts :'(

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
hmm snake for falcon? I can try, but the method i use might make it glitch a bit (shoot slippy's gun, and pause the game. You'll see what i mean LOL)
I see, but i hope it's good enough for use.

...as for anything moving, i doubt with my skill i can do that.. i mostly just replace model parts :'(
But what i said only involves model part replacement, you can just put both a bit of the cape + hair on the same model part so they wave with the wind, not complicated at all, just a little bit tedious. (No prob if you take your time with Lucina though, i can wait)

It could be easier and faster to just divide her hair in two parts: one at the head and the rest attached to the upper part of the cape. There would be a bit of clipping issues with this one but IMO it's good enough and way faster to do than dividing the hair in more than two parts.

N0XXKATT

Smash Cadet
I see, but i hope it's good enough for use.

But what i said only involves model part replacement, you can just put both a bit of the cape + hair on the same model part so they wave with the wind, not complicated at all, just a little bit tedious. (No prob if you take your time with Lucina though, i can wait)

It could be easier and faster to just divide her hair in two parts: one at the head and the rest attached to the upper part of the cape. There would be a bit of clipping issues with this one but IMO it's good enough and way faster to do than dividing the hair in more than two parts.
hmm lucina's gonna be hard lol but i'll try my best. on an other note, are u doing anything with the stages? if so, check my post in the melee model section of the workshop. That program i posted can be very useful for removing unwanted stage pieces.

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
hmm lucina's gonna be hard lol but i'll try my best. on an other note, are u doing anything with the stages? if so, check my post in the melee model section of the workshop. That program i posted can be very useful for removing unwanted stage pieces.
Remember, take as much time as you want with Lucina, no hurry. (I really want for this character to be a good one)

I'm not doing anything with the stages until a more robust editor comes out. The full package will be just 20XX with the characters installed and a few other things modified but only because they are required for this to work. That said, if a good stage editor comes out (probably never) i would most likely port stages from Smash 2 and a few edited from Brawl.

N0XXKATT

Smash Cadet
Remember, take as much time as you want with Lucina, no hurry. (I really want for this character to be a good one)

I'm not doing anything with the stages until a more robust editor comes out. The full package will be just 20XX with the characters installed and a few other things modified but only because they are required for this to work. That said, if a good stage editor comes out (probably never) i would most likely port stages from Smash 2 and a few edited from Brawl.
Oh I see (Stage editor is possible, i can see it happening), btw i looked at marth's model, and as i thought doing that with lucina's hair is not possible(well its possible..... but it will take forever for me and come out looking dumb lol..) that said i can still replace his hair with hers, and give him her armor (It wont be smash 4 or ultimate lucina, it will be like a melee version)

BTW! I forgot a model, i gave mario a smb3 raccoon ears and tail outfit. Would that be of any use? (its looks pretty good imo and many others opinion lol) Also, as for the models, all i ask is that u credit me, bc these do take time and they are directly ripped from my Super Smash Bros Classic mod im working on, thx! :D

Last edited:

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
That looks really neat, but that would be a waste of character slot when we only got 2 per-character (not including the original character) to work with in the first place. Would definitely be great as a 20XX addition (if Achilles ever comes back that is) We also got Mario fully occupied by both Wario and Sonic, so that Mario is, unfortunately, out of the question. On the bright side, at least it's exclusive to your mod!

Melee-style Lucina would indeed be awesome, i'm fine with just static hair, but only if it is as long as Lucina's hair actually is (one of my dissapointments with the old model import that cut her hair down to Marth-levels of hair, along with the mask and weird texture bugs)

Yeah, i was going to credit you even if you didn't ask for it because your model imports are very neat! Hope you don't mind though, i'm going to edit the textures on your model imports so they got better shading and a bit more detail, because right now they look a little bit flat, being mostly 1-color.

Also, what is SSBC all about? Model imports and edited stages or even new movesets and things like that?

Top Bottom