• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom balance (rage?) Toggle

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
So for a brief instance during the rules portion of the direct, an icon called custom balance appears.

When I initially saw this, I thought it might be a handicaps setting with a new name. But apparently, the symbol used matches the rage symbol:Zero stream

This could have huge implications. A large portion of the competitive scene will probably really want rage to be off as a standard for tournaments. However, this would make the game you are playing fundamentally different from "the standard settings". Akin to the 0.9 knockback fiasco.

I myself don't mind rage that much if it's effects are toned down, but the toggle could allow for two different games in one.

What do you think?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It's almost assuredly not a rage setting; that would be a stupid name for it. The icon is probably demonstrating that it toggles something similar to a 4 style equipment system with that being an icon that represented a random equipment type in the past. Either way, toggles to change the underlying rules of the game mechanics are pretty much nos anyway; changing launch rate is a good example of something that's really just obviously dumb to do.

xPROFx

Smash Cadet
NNID
omoprof
I think custom balance is actually a custom balance) It might have a sub-menu where you could set rage, ledge trumping, random tripping (lol), wavedashing maybe e.t.c. Would be dope and horrible

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
I think custom balance is actually a custom balance) It might have a sub-menu where you could set rage, ledge trumping, random tripping (lol), wavedashing maybe e.t.c. Would be dope and horrible
Why would a sub menu have a on/off toggle though?

I don't know. I hope more people weigh in on this, because it feels like this could be signicant for competitive rulesets.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
^Because when it is "on", the balance settings you adjusted in the sub-menu are activated for the match.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For convenience

Custom balance as a single on/off option doesn't make sense to me. I dunno, maybe it's just extremely terrible name for some option)
So kinda like Item toggle?

I'm very interested to see what this is about. If this indeed is toggle-able rage and/or ledgegrab mechanic stuff, Sakurai and the dev team is going above and beyond my expectations here.

That said, even if it isn't, I can't wait to give it a closer look.

Man, this game is getting more exciting by the minute.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I'm very interested to see what this is about. If this indeed is toggle-able rage and/or ledgegrab mechanic stuff, Sakurai and the dev team is going above and beyond my expectations here.
I would defiantly go back to old ledge mechanics and defiantly turn off rage if that's what it is. It was nice to see Sakurai is trying new things with what he did to the mechanics of Smash 4, but it did not work out. If that is what custom balance is, I would defiantly turn it on.

Khao

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's a completely nonsensical name for rage. I know people are pointing towards the icon, but rage is not something you customize. And if it is customizable why the hell are they calling it balance?

Personally, I'm expecting this to be a Melee-style handicap setting, which adds a slider to the character selection menu that affects weight and knockback for each individual player. It's really the only thing that truly sounds like a "custom balance" to me without being a convoluted setting with a ton of extra variables. As for why they wouldn't just be calling it handicap like they used to, welp, "Damage Handicap" is still in the game under the main rules menu.

Last edited:

KingDoop

Smash Cadet
Rage could theoretically be customized in that we get to determine how it scales. Like, at what percent it kicks in and how much it affects damage and knockback

So in that sense the balance being customized is whatever we the player deem to be balanced

Last edited:
Top Bottom