• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Curtains! The Zelda Performance Thread! Critics Welcome~

HylianSmash

Smash Rookie
I'm new to smash boards, and it seems that i don't know much about zelda at all from reading everyone's responses..........

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I'm new to smash boards, and it seems that i don't know much about zelda at all from reading everyone's responses..........

Hey hooker.

Anyways Peace uploaded this match against Trevontes Fox for me, I think it was a 5 dollar MM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdVnmpeRvQs

Fox really scares me and I was pretty positive I was going to lose, and I know I used WAY too much Nayru's as usual (but I've been working on it since Apex), but I think this is a pretty bad MU.
Nayru's is a really bad idea against him.
So is Farore's apparently.
He's just so much faster than her, and that u smash....

But it's like she has to approach or she's just gonna get camped.
Idk what to do in this one.

Only reason I didn't get like 2 stocked destroyed was because he didn't escape D tilt lock lol.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Fox has the best Usmash in the game IMO. MUs like that make me see why Shelda is a good character(s?) to play.
Hi:bee:. Welcome to the Zelda boards! 2 things: 1 most of the time people are harmlessly joking/trolling/saying weird things but don't take it seriously or personally. 2 when they are serious it's best to ignore them anyway.

Fuujin, who posted above is the gif master, lol. Feel free to ask about Zelda/smash/whatever and we have a video thread you can post replays in for critiques. :)

HylianSmash

Smash Rookie
Ohh i see. i guess i figured that out from how Fuujin responded XD.
But thank you for the information and greetings.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Critiques are when you post a video, and one of us will comment on it. We'll point out stuff you did well and things you can improve on.

With these new "realizations" in mind, it should slowly but surely improve your own game :)

HylianSmash

Smash Rookie
Ahhhh i see. That would be interesting since i never knew what to improve on with nobody in my little town to play against. Haven't gone against anybody decent since 2009.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Keep it up! Would love to see more Zeldas.

HUGE UPDATE! Added 3 months worth of Zelda videos!

:zelda::zelda::zelda:

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
@Fuujin: sorry dude, no Fox exp here :/
when I play Fox is usually some Fox trying to be Falco so that doesn't help much

^Fox has the best Usmash in the game IMO.
I don't think it's the best, it's retardedly strong and kills at -2%, but Olimar's is stupidly strong too and almost has no lag.

I feel like part of the family now. x3
Anyway, heads up. Here's one I took yesterday against the best of my region:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hia8C_QN7SA&feature=youtu.be

Been practicing this MU against him alot.
you have to stop rolling that much, it got you into some bad positions and punishes you could've avoided, luckily some of them were not punished. you have to be careful with snake's punishes, he's the best punisher of the game, the less he can do is a grab and any thow to deal around 10%.

you have to learn at which % Dtilt does things like, stun for Dtilt lock or pops up the enemy. and to remember that the move's staleness affects this as well. I saw you used it too much at early % with not very good results and at around 110ish% snake popped up and you kept the Dtilt going, when you could either do an Usmash, Utilt or read the airdodge and punish the landing.

[COLLAPSE="Dtilt stuff"]

2.1 Dtilt Followups / Dtilt Lock [DTLT]

When it connects, dtilt leads to one of three situations for the opponent:

- Grounded stun
- Trip
- Pop up

Grounded Stun

At low-mid percentages, the opponent will go into a flinch animation when hit with dtilt. Various factors affect how long their hitstun will last, including their weight, their damage, and how stale dtilt is. (Lighter weight, more damage, and a fresher dtilt all lead to greater hitstun.)

On average, dtilt starts to give Zelda a usable frame advantage at ~50%.

Good followup options at this point are:

- Dsmash (frame 4)
- Dtilt/Dtilt Lock (frame 5)
- Dash Attack (frame 6)
- Usmash (frame 6; from close range dtilt only)

At around 50%+, you can begin to dtilt lock your opponent.* Dtilt stales as the other character's damage rises; the resulting balance gives you a continuous frame advantage that lasts until they begin to pop up. Keep in mind that they can still SDI away from you, which may prematurely end the lock (and makes the term "lock" a bit of a misnomer for this technique).

*Note: Samus and DK cannot be locked due to their flinch animations.

Trip

Zelda's dtilt has a trip rate of 40%, making it fairly reliable for setting up strong punishes. The frame advantage on an opponent's trip from dtilt is always +19 frames. Obviously this gives you a lot of options for followups:

Fsmash, dsmash, usmash, jab, dash attack, dtilt, ftilt, grab, part 1 of Farore's Wind, and Nayru's Love are all guaranteed on any tripped opponent.

Turnaround > platform drop > sweetspot bair is guaranteed on everyone on a platform.

The following attacks are limited to specific characters:

SH sweetspot fair: :bowser2: :dk2:
SH sweetspot bair: :bowser2: :dk2: :dedede: :wario: :yoshi2: :rob: :charizard:

You also have the option of reading your opponent's trip reaction (get up, roll, etc.), which gives you a chance to LK smaller characters.

Pop Up

At a certain percent (determined by weight and dtilt decay), characters begin to pop into the air from dtilt. This takes away Zelda's frame advantage, but it still leads into usmash/utilt fairly reliably. If the opponent DIs to the side, dash attack can usually reach them before they can attack or jump out of the way. Stale dtilts and larger/heavier characters are better for pop up followups, as the opponent will not be knocked as far and may still be frame trapped.

[COLLAPSE=Fresh dtilt pop up percentages for each character]Bowser: 88%
Captain Falcon: 81%
Charizard: 84%
Diddy Kong: 76%
Donkey Kong: 87%
Falco: 72%
Fox: 71%
Game & Watch: 69%
Ganondorf: 84%
Ice Climbers: 76%
Ike: 82%
Ivysaur: 79%
Jigglypuff: 66%
King Dedede: 85%
Kirby: 71%
Link: 82%
Lucario: 80%
Lucas: 77%
Luigi: 78%
Mario: 79%
Marth: 74%
Meta Knight: 71%
Ness: 77%
Olimar: 72%
Peach: 75%
Pikachu: 71%
Pit: 77%
ROB: 82%
Samus: 83%
Sheik: 73%
Snake: 85%
Sonic: 78%
Squirtle: 69%
Toon Link: 76%
Wario: 83%
Wolf: 81%
Yoshi: 83%
Zelda: 73%
Zero Suit Samus: 71%
[/COLLAPSE]
[/COLLAPSE]

try to mix up when getting back on the stage, you got very predictable and almost a whole stock was gone because of this, go to the edge sometimes, or instead of drifting to the center of the stage the whole way, try getting back, Zelda's air speed and mobility are decent for this and it does help. also try to learn to sweetspot the edge using Farore's higher than the edge and the hard directions.

don't use din's aggresively like that(gliding to the opponent) do it very few times, because it has a huge neon light with the text "punish me hard". try to do it going back, or if you want to do it going forward, do it only when you know it will hit

at 1:48 I spected a grab instead of dash attack, that works some times.

2:03 when in this position people DI up the Dthrow almost always, and that's good for us, because we can actually get follow ups like Usmash(easiest) or even a sweetspoted Bair(IDK why but it almost always works for me), remember this, and/or see/read how you opponent reacts and punish accordingly. Still what you did worked just fine *thumbs up*

2:10 perfect bait, but when snake is that low, don't use Din's, snake doesn't like to recover low because he can be punshied badly, take advantage of that when he's on that position to kick him or make himself get more damage from C4 recovery and stuff like that.

that's all I can say for now, give it a try and practice all of that stuff

Rizen

Smash Legend
I don't think it's the best, it's retardedly strong and kills at -2%, but Olimar's is stupidly strong too and almost has no lag.
It's subjective. Oli's depends on the pikmin and he can get a weak yellow sometimes. Sex kick Nairs can FF through Oli's Usmash too. With the Fox/Oli Usmash contest I found who people think has the best varies depending on who they play.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
http://youtu.be/xeiNuv6JKdY

and

http://youtu.be/SsHbm2pxX2k

I really should have won my set with Toki.

I dunno what happened lol.

Toki is noticeably higher than me on my PR, I'm 10th, he's like... 4th or something.

Escro isn't ranked, but is a interstater.

I'd post my doubles matches, but phone johns.

My doubles matches were vs the best in Australia Tedeth and Toki. lol

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
Banned stages FTW!!! XD
You used dash attack too much & its really punishable on shield, even its so much fun to use........... & you need more LKs. More LKs, More Sweetspots.
But 0:26-0:32 was awesome :D

D

Deleted member 189823

I use Dash attack because it's so punishable and noobish thing to do that the opponent may not even expect it at times. I didn't get punished too much for it there.
Oh, and the reason we were fighting in Shadow Moises is because he likes that stage and we just wanted to do something for the lolz.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU0UlnQhPa0&feature=plcp

Here is a video from a recent tournament. Won, but made a lot of mistakes and didn't pay attention at some points. All my fault though. Luckily I fixed some of them for the matches later in the tournament. You can also get a good look at me in the end if you want O_o I'm the guy in the spiderman shirt.

There are probably going to be a couple more matches in the account if you want to look. I screwed up big time vs biz so you can look at that if you want to... I'm mostly using these to critique myself, but I'm not unopen to more comments. Just most things that I clearly ****ed up on don't need to be repeated lol.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
you were doing great against Bizkit, when I'm on SV I do that platform camping thing too, when you had the lead and made that, I thought you were gonna stay there but instead you went on kind of aggro mode, I would've stayed there and harrass Snake, I've done that many times before, and it has worked pretty good for me.

I liked how you approached with Nair being punished just a few... when I try that I usually get Utilted or shield grabbed u.u

On game 2 your first stock was painful :(

you reacted wickedly fast to get the first kill, that was awesome D:

too bad you missed the Dair sweetspot, he was too high :(

later on his second stock looks like you were fishing too much for the Bair kill

I really don't have much more to say as I suck on that MU :(

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Good work!

The commentary on these things always bugs me. "Snake dies early from a LK", "can that happen?", "It does happen"... we all just saw it; is this commentary for blind smash fans? (It was a sweet LK though, you did a lot of good stuff :) )

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Lol I didn't even know BlazinAlex played offline. Well I was aware he did now and then, but never saw his offline stuff. I wonder why he didn't go Dedede or Link... those are his 'mains'.

Good stuff though. Zelda's Down Smash seems to **** Marth if used right, and he kept getting punished for using Marth's Forward Smash. Alex was a little too Up B happy too <.<

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
The most aggrivating thing is that upb can just **** upsmash so hard... like during the middle of it just upb if your shield is getting low and boom... Zelda goes flying.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I wonder why he didn't try to Up B during your Down Tilt locks. And yeah... Upsmash is like a double edged sword in this MU. Not to mention, Marth is one of the easier characters to SDI it :/

Rizen

Smash Legend
Textures often confuse me.
Lol, Marth is Sepharoth without a big sword or the bad*** element.

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
oh wow you did great!

you could've got match 2 if it wasn't because you tried killing him with Usmash beong decayed, but it's ok that happens to anyone.

and yeah that Dolphin Splash is a pain, if you try to dtilt lock him too early he can "combo breaker" with that thing, if you lock him for too long(assuming he doesn't SDI) and Dtilt becomes stale = less hitstun he can do it, if he SDI's away and we don't react on time to either shield or Dsmash when we first see him SDI'ing he can do it. (remember this so you are ready to DI up, if not you could die early)

I think that if we hit with the last hits of Usmash it can be of some use as he won't be able to SDI out of it... but that's just too risky.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
I think that if we hit with the last hits of Usmash it can be of some use as he won't be able to SDI out of it... but that's just too risky.
The spacing required for that to happen is really hard (if you can call it spacing). Though it could be used for mindgames...?

Also good **** Riot :)

GodAtHand

Smash Lord

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
For Falco's CG to spike, DI and SDI towards the stage will definitely help you land on the stage. The game was yours.

@1:06 You got a little boost from the windbox of Falco's jab.

Lol'd at Ultimecia texture :p

*hides again*

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
It is a pain to play that MU it's hard to chase if you don't get a good read.

http://youtu.be/UU91-MMICSo?t=4m11s I saw a kick coming here! That would've give you the win :c

:tournament nerves: (?)

http://youtu.be/UU91-MMICSo?t=12m14s what was that?!?! was that just SDI away from Falco and do a Nayru's or is it something else?

http://youtu.be/UU91-MMICSo?t=12m17s lol double Din's combo xD

sometimes it's not that bad to be hit by a laser as it can be surprising D:

I think you did a good job because of the kind of MU it is and the exp you already have, I also liked how you remember that Dtilt helps to dodge the second laser from SHDL, and Nayru's reads to reflect lasers were great too n.n

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
I see, the best part is that it worked.

oh and forgot about that super running speed, don't really know about Falco's jab havind a windbox, but it happened to my brother one day, he ran to the ledge just the moment he took my last stock(yes, he was using Zelda and I was using anything else), and even when the game was slowing down Zelda ran super fast to the ledge, and then fast falled faster too...

I think I have the replay somewhere... or at least I hope I have it, I'll look for it later and just upload that part, because it looks just weird :S

Rizen

Smash Legend
^This :)

Isn't a windbox similar to when Sheik reappears from her UpB?
No. Wind will not hurt or delay/interrupt moves and won't refresh upBs (besides G&W's). Wind includes the big head blowing from the right side of pictochat, TL's Dair's landing, Ness' DownB release, Link's boomerang's farthest extent and entire return, Ganon's Utilt (sucks in), G&W's Uair (blows upwards), Falco's Jab combo ending, and Pit's grounded UpB.
Note that sucking moves like Kirby's inhale etc, Water sprays from Mario's FLUDD and Squirtle's Squirt, are not the same as wind.

Top Bottom