• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Current highest known GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
I got bodied so hard by a wii fit trainer like 9 times yesterday and got out of elite smash only to really streak hard today and get all the way to this, feels really awesome, on my last match I was even able to take out a mega man who is absolutely a beast of a match up for jigg For anybody looking for some advice out there and that match up just put up the leaf shield and let it roll, the dude I was playing look like he had no idea what he was doing with that. What’s the highest now out there everyone has seen?

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
It is using data that is up to 7 days old, which is just wrong.

3.32 is the highest known right now, so 3.22-ish would be the cutoff if it really is the top 3%. I chimed in on the discussion thread for the webpage, but there's no need to do guesswork-- just multiplying the highest known GSP at any given moment by 0.97 is going to give you a damn good estimate of what the current cutoff is, and is probably more accurate than trying to cobble together individual values due to the ~5k-15k swing in GSP that happens per game around the cutoff point.
I don’t think this is what this thread is about, we are interested in knowing the highest GSP for the online people have seen, or hearing with the highest GSP for an individual character is. Some people have done some examples of what the numbers mean, and I think everybody realizes that just being in elite smash doesn’t mean much, most people want to get is close to the top as they possibly can

Mikazuki

Smash Cadet
Fought a Samus with 3.34 mil. I was at 3.317 with Corrin, the gap in skill was pretty big. That dude destroyed me.

Last edited:

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
I got the puff up to 3.365 and lost to a Pokémon trainer and dropped to 3.28, you really gotta streak to keep up there, I’m sure i will get back, current goal is to get a 10 streak in Elite... Anyways look like 3.5 is coming! Who’s gonna be first?

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
No, there does not exist an unheard of player online who could show up out of the blue and start consistently taking majors. Of course, there are fast growers who start placing well, and they can start as wi-fi warriors certainly, but it's not on the magnitude you're thinking.

I don't know where you get this idea of a shadow pool of players who don't attend tournaments but are top level players - if you've really put in the time to get there, spending an extra weekend even just every now and then to do something you love and are good at is a small leap to make.

Edit: And I should once more emphasize the time it takes. We're talking thousands of hours. That is the barrier of entry to having good fundamentals, robust matchup knowledge, and more generally just the ability to think in terms of the game and the strategies surrounding the game. No one has become a top player without this investment, and won't. With all this in mind, the inconveniences of going to a tournament every now and then are insignificant.

Anyway back on topic, 3,195,193 with ROB.
They are out there if you have ever heard of Bobby Fischer in Chess, there is certainly an avant- grade talent out there with 4,000,000 playing, chances are a person like that will never show up to a tournament but they out there.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
This doesn’t make sense to me. I’m currently 3.338 mil with Ike but I never lose GSP by more than 2k if I take an L unless the opponent is way below me in GSP (like 30k or more). Why do some people only lose a fraction while others lose a large portion?
Edit:3.341 mil now but I only go up about 500-800 GSP a win. Basically I need about 30 wins to get to 3.36 mil

Last edited:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
So I havent touched elite smash in 3 weeks. I checked it earlier today and Im still in at arount 3.4 million with falcon and dk. I wonder how long it would take to drop or if it even drops if you dont touch it. Perhaps after a while of inactivity it automatically kicks you out?

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
It can drop you if you don't touch it and your rating slips sufficiently out of the range. I made it in, lost 5 in a row but was still in it, then didn't play for over a week and returned to me being out.

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
This doesn’t make sense to me. I’m currently 3.338 mil with Ike but I never lose GSP by more than 2k if I take an L unless the opponent is way below me in GSP (like 30k or more). Why do some people only lose a fraction while others lose a large portion?
Edit:3.341 mil now but I only go up about 500-800 GSP a win. Basically I need about 30 wins to get to 3.36 mil
All of that makes sense. You're at the high end of the rank, which leads to a more spread out Rank. Elo systems have a higher density of players in the middle range, but your rank won't change all that much per individual win loss on the high end or the low end. Your GSP/Rank will change less the farther you are from the middle, and also more popular characters have more competitive GSP (it is almost certainly a separate GSP Rank for each character.)

Kris89

Smash Rookie
So I havent touched elite smash in 3 weeks. I checked it earlier today and Im still in at arount 3.4 million with falcon and dk. I wonder how long it would take to drop or if it even drops if you dont touch it. Perhaps after a while of inactivity it automatically kicks you out?
It's simply because you still are better than 97% of the New players online, and so your gsp grows because of the weak newcomers. And unless a lot of them reach the top, and best you, you don't have to worry about being kicked of elite without playing. Basic maths ^^

Wicket

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
3.314 with game and watch. No judgement hammer used. I know it's not quite high enough yet, but I'm steamrolling most matches so I expect it to go up at least to 3.4 today. I'll update.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Your rank may not decay, but more players will pass you just by virtue of playing more games. 3.4M is pretty high, so you're prob safe, though. The reason people fall out of elite is because they were already near the threshold, so when enough people acquire ratings higher than them, they get forced out; their rating didn't change, but that rating's place on the ladder did.

Mikazuki

Smash Cadet
An hour ago I fought a Wolf at 3,37 mil and actually managed to beat him, yay. I was at 3,360 mil with ZSS at that time.

SamusFromMetroid

Smash Rookie
I am currently at 3,360,558 with Palutena after having won a game and my GSP went up by only what seemed like 20-30... haven't seen anyone with higher

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
Don’t worry everybody if you get a big win streak your rank will skyrocket there are so many people dropping games out there. That’s all you need to worry about, good luck though it feels every match gets progressively harder. Saw a few 3.4s yesterday. They were good lol

Last edited:

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
Gonna reach for 3.4, maybe even gun for the 3.5 but that's gonna take a lot of work
I don't think GSP even goes up to 3.5 yet. It will probably take a few days or more than week for the playerbase to expand to that size.

Ijigen

Smash Cadet
3.395 with rob. Ran into Prince Ramen who was at 3.414 with Palutena. Likely close to the ceiling. Unfortunately I don't have the time to grind up there, because let me be clear - it really is a grind. The matchmaking system will match you with the same people regardless of your GSP (you know, give or take a few million - it's not sensitive enough at the high end is what I'm saying, so will lump a 95th percentile player with a 99th even though the skill difference is night and day) so if you generally win against randoms near the elite threshold your GSP will keep climbing over time. Very. Slowly.

If anyone's wondering how the Prince Ramen game went, well I was trying to get random characters I don't play into elite at the time. My young link got exposed. Would have gone a set but you can't change characters :(

NuI

Smash Rookie
Sure that's not a typo? I don't think anyone's broke 3.3 let alone 3.4
Not a typo, Currently am above 3.4m GSP on Zelda, but on every match won I seem to get 300~500 GSP compared to losing with takes around 1k~1.5k GSP. So I'm being pretty mindful about it now. Winning as many as I can get so I don't drop below 3.4m GSP. Love how doubtful people get

Last edited:

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
It seems like GSP growth has slowed considerably, as sales and initial buy-in to Nintendo Online have slowed past the initial burst, the second wind around Christmas, and the long tail that extended across winter break. Seems like the GSP pool is only increasing around 10k per day, while the average since the game's launch is around 70k or something.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Not a typo, Currently am above 3.4m GSP on Zelda, but on every match won I seem to get 300~500 GSP compared to losing with takes around 1k~1.5k GSP. So I'm being pretty mindful about it now. Winning as many as I can get so I don't drop below 3.4m GSP. Love how doubtful people get
5 days ago, tho? That means one of three things:

1. You're an awesome zelda who is part of a hopefully growing demographic of Quickplay users who are also Smashboards users

2. You're reporting 5 days later that 5 day old information is still relevant.

3. Both

I'm rootin for both but 2 seems like it might not break 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom