• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Current highest known GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3RKABO

Smash Rookie
Ganon main here, sitting at a comfy 3.117 mil, only going up by a couple hundred as well.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
3.132 with the Jiggs, really slow moving up Pearfinch is getting some serious wins! Competition is getting crazier by the day and net play feels like it’s getting way less laggy at this level.

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
Currently 3.141mil with Dark Samus, which puts the highest ceiling I know about around 3.176mil

Tennispro76

Smash Rookie
3.15 million with Toon Link. Gain about 800 per match and lost about 1200-1800 when I lose.

HeadSchott

Smash Cadet
NNID
headschott
3DS FC
5370-0395-8945
Switch FC
4035-4288-6515
Sitting at 3.05mill with Link, and drop in and out of elite with him. However, I’ve been playing Young Link almost exclusively because he’s arguably my better character. Anytime I win my gsp goes up like 70,000, anytime I lose its drops more like 105,000.YLink is about 2.6mill right now. Is it possible this character fluctuates more because more people are playing as him? Or is GSP of a character based on overall win:lose ratio?

Last edited:

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Sitting at 3.05mill with Link, and drop in and out of elite with him. However, I’ve been playing Young Link almost exclusively because he’s arguably my better character. Anytime I win my gsp goes up like .7mil, anytime I lose its drops more like 1.5.YLink is about 2.6mill right now. Is it possible this character fluctuates more because more people are playing as him? Or is GSP of a character based on overall win:lose ratio?
It probably means you're losing against people rated lower than you. You need to look at the opponent's GSP, too.

HeadSchott

Smash Cadet
NNID
headschott
3DS FC
5370-0395-8945
Switch FC
4035-4288-6515
Sitting at 3.05mill with Link, and drop in and out of elite with him. However, I’ve been playing Young Link almost exclusively because he’s arguably my better character. Anytime I win my gsp goes up like .7mil, anytime I lose its drops more like 1.5.YLink is about 2.6mill right now. Is it possible this character fluctuates more because more people are playing as him? Or is GSP of a character based on overall win:lose ratio?
**character goes up 70,000 and down 105,000
It probably means you're losing against people rated lower than you. You need to look at the opponent's GSP, too.
that makes sense if it’s dropping as drastically as it does sometimes. I do see the other persons GSP start below mine a lot of the time that this happens.

R208

Smash Cadet
3.159m as Ganon. 50-300 for people 20k or more below me. Maybe 800-1k for people at level. People above me are usually 20k above and are really, really difficult to beat. They are extremely rare.

Losing typically is a 1.5k-2k loss. As most people are 20k or below me... Hurts.

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
3.160mil with Dark Samus. Puts the highest I know about 33,000 above me, so 3.193mil.

puff..jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
My highest character is Ike with 2,679,206.
My overall is 3,057,206

Anyone know how high the rating has to get for you to be invited into that special; league thing?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
My highest character is Ike with 2,679,206.
My overall is 3,057,206

Anyone know how high the rating has to get for you to be invited into that special; league thing?
Overall doesn't matter for elite smash. The fact that you have a high overall just means that you've played a lot of characters online, since most players only play one or a few characters. ES threshold is now over 3M.

Last edited:

ScottTape

Smash Rookie
I’m at roughly 3.05 mill with Zelda. Does the target move based on character? Killing me that I can’t get it.

perroloco

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4398-9300-3061
Just watched Zero's Stream and his Cloud is @ 3'207,812, this is probably one of the highest GSPs out there.

P puff..jigglypuff
By the 3.5% 'rule' we have been using the threshold should be around 3'095,000 GSP right now, but it changes every day, so tomorrow you will probably need at least 3'100m to be Elite..
And 3.5% of online players should be around 112,000

One question I have is.. how does the game rank different GSP for different characters from the same player, I know pretty much everything we are talkin here is mainly speculation, but how does the game.

But that makes me think, if there's a finite number of spots for Elite Smash players (Based on our GSP) does a player only get one spot OR different characters from said player take different spots from Elite Smash spots..

Basically what I'm asking is this, imagine I main 3 characters, Ness, Snake and Mario.
My Ness is at 3'100,000 GSP, my Snake at 3'100,001 and my Mario at 3'100,002...

So, am I only taking one of the 112,000 Smash Elite spots or am I taking 3 Smash Elite spots?

I know It's a weird question, and it's even dumb to make it since we know nothing about how GSP works lol I sure wish Nintendo would give us more info on how this system works, because if it's the latter then instead of 112,000 different players in Elite Smash then there's probably 40,000 or so players in Elite Smash with 3 or so mains..

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Some people have dozens of characters in Elite... One poster even spent time getting All characters into Elite. While I do believe there is definitely a threshold determined by percent of the total players online, I think it's also definitely taking up multiple spots because I have had 3 in Elite at one point (down to 1 now) but I have no way to verify this.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
Just watched Zero's Stream and his Cloud is @ 3'207,812, this is probably one of the highest GSPs out there.

P puff..jigglypuff
By the 3.5% 'rule' we have been using the threshold should be around 3'095,000 GSP right now, but it changes every day, so tomorrow you will probably need at least 3'100m to be Elite..
And 3.5% of online players should be around 112,000

One question I have is.. how does the game rank different GSP for different characters from the same player, I know pretty much everything we are talkin here is mainly speculation, but how does the game.

But that makes me think, if there's a finite number of spots for Elite Smash players (Based on our GSP) does a player only get one spot OR different characters from said player take different spots from Elite Smash spots..

Basically what I'm asking is this, imagine I main 3 characters, Ness, Snake and Mario.
My Ness is at 3'100,000 GSP, my Snake at 3'100,001 and my Mario at 3'100,002...

So, am I only taking one of the 112,000 Smash Elite spots or am I taking 3 Smash Elite spots?

I know It's a weird question, and it's even dumb to make it since we know nothing about how GSP works lol I sure wish Nintendo would give us more info on how this system works, because if it's the latter then instead of 112,000 different players in Elite Smash then there's probably 40,000 or so players in Elite Smash with 3 or so mains..
Gotta get good

I Chizl I

Smash Apprentice
I've seen photos confirming one person can have the exact same GSP with different characters. It's made me wonder the same thing about how many "spots" one person fills. My guess is each person only fills one spot, but how that works is beyond me. I could also be completely wrong, but if I was then I feel like GSP would be in the tens of millions, not just over 3 million. Cause with millions of copies sold and most of those players using multiple characters at least once, GSP would skyrocket if each character had its own unique spot as an individual "player".

Also, I thought I was gaining ground on ZeRo but I see he's been bumping his GSP up as well. He's too damn good lol. After bumping my GSP up about 8,000 over this weekend (in addition to the passive gains we all get from new people joining) he's still 35,000 ahead of me. I'm at 3.173mil right now. My reach goal is to close the gap to about 10,000 one day.

Last edited:

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Honestly, we have no possible way to tell if a player takes up multiple spots or not. We can only guess. I'd like to think they were smart enough to make only each player's highest ranked character take up a "spot" on the GSP ranking, with all secondary characters' GSP simply being a representation of where they "would" be, but it's hard to trust anyone that makes as obtuse of a ranking system as GSP. If each character takes up their own spot, it would imply there are a lot less players playing online than we thought, though.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
Honestly, we have no possible way to tell if a player takes up multiple spots or not. We can only guess. I'd like to think they were smart enough to make only each player's highest ranked character take up a "spot" on the GSP ranking, with all secondary characters' GSP simply being a representation of where they "would" be, but it's hard to trust anyone that makes as obtuse of a ranking system as GSP. If each character takes up their own spot, it would imply there are a lot less players playing online than we thought, though.
If you really look at it in elite you usually run into snake, and other high tier characters, the way i see it is, this is def what is happening who knows though.

I've seen photos confirming one person can have the exact same GSP with different characters. It's made me wonder the same thing about how many "spots" one person fills. My guess is each person only fills one spot, but how that works is beyond me. I could also be completely wrong, but if I was then I feel like GSP would be in the tens of millions, not just over 3 million. Cause with millions of copies sold and most of those players using multiple characters at least once, GSP would skyrocket if each character had its own unique spot as an individual "player".

Also, I thought I was gaining ground on ZeRo but I see he's been bumping his GSP up as well. He's too damn good lol. After bumping my GSP up about 8,000 over this weekend (in addition to the passive gains we all get from new people joining) he's still 35,000 ahead of me. I'm at 3.173mil right now. My reach goal is to close the gap to about 10,000 one day.
You are in reality no where close to him whatsoever it slows down drastically the higher you go... people don’t realize this because they aren’t getting up there, the skill level is the exact same way, the difference between low and high elite smash is breathtaking, I hope they make a mode specifically for the top 100 players in the world with only Ethernet connections. Seeing people today at 3.21 million and they are something else skill wise this really opens ones eyes to the skill pool at the top.

I think people are forgetting just how good some people are online. A lot of the best people in the world simply don’t attend tournaments, everybody needs to get off zeros sack and realize there are 3,000,000 plus people online. There are definitely masters of the game who never have been to tournaments because they were not aware of how good they were... this mode should help the smash brothers team get in contact with these people and let them know just how good they are via email or message. Seeing 3.21 million at this point... I really hope a new super elite mode gets made.

perroloco

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4398-9300-3061
Toyamasmash Toyamasmash what you are talking about it's an interesting topic.. I don't really follow the competitive scene of other fighting (or any other kind of) games other than Smash... But I can only imagine that the top player in tournaments are the top players online too.

Like I would assume the top 100 players in Ultimate online are players that regularly attend tournaments and rank in the top 32 spots or something like that.

But who knows.

Ijigen

Smash Cadet
No, there does not exist an unheard of player online who could show up out of the blue and start consistently taking majors. Of course, there are fast growers who start placing well, and they can start as wi-fi warriors certainly, but it's not on the magnitude you're thinking.

I don't know where you get this idea of a shadow pool of players who don't attend tournaments but are top level players - if you've really put in the time to get there, spending an extra weekend even just every now and then to do something you love and are good at is a small leap to make.

Edit: And I should once more emphasize the time it takes. We're talking thousands of hours. That is the barrier of entry to having good fundamentals, robust matchup knowledge, and more generally just the ability to think in terms of the game and the strategies surrounding the game. No one has become a top player without this investment, and won't. With all this in mind, the inconveniences of going to a tournament every now and then are insignificant.

Anyway back on topic, 3,195,193 with ROB.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I think people are forgetting just how good some people are online. A lot of the best people in the world simply don’t attend tournaments, everybody needs to get off zeros sack and realize there are 3,000,000 plus people online. There are definitely masters of the game who never have been to tournaments because they were not aware of how good they were... this mode should help the smash brothers team get in contact with these people and let them know just how good they are via email or message. Seeing 3.21 million at this point... I really hope a new super elite mode gets made.
I'm sorry but I just don't believe that there are any people who solely play online that are insanely good to place in major tournaments if they ever decide to go to one. An important thing about becoming a top player is to attend to these tournaments. Showing up to tournaments is how people are going to grow as a player and achieve top skill they are looking for that online is not going to provide, especially smash. This is how we can make claims on who is the best at smash. These people are committed to the game to travel around against people who are also committed to see how far they can get. If any wifi warrior is truly that good then they would be likely to show up for a tournament anyway, at least locally. Online play =/= Amazing in smash. Players wouldn't even touch online for practice if they can bring a friend over to play in the same room. If a WiFi player isn't aware of how good they are, they are most likely not really as good as you like to believe that they exist.

Omastar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2638-1454-6031
Reminder that playing in the comfort of your own home is different from having people watching you and cheering on or against you in a tournament setting. Depending on the size of tournament and if its being streamed or not you can have thousands of people watching you and that kind of pressure gets people really nervous and play way below what their "perceived" level could be. They usually get dumpstered. Online is a great tool, some of the best players have come from wifi, but the best players play in tournament and those guys are there for a reason like Ijigen had mentioned. Also there are no "masters"of the game yet, we are a month in.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of secret top players in elite smash, I would say no, at least not at the level of what a “pro” would be (beating a pgr player and placing well at a major). The online environment is a different meta, simply due to the inherent input latency that’s added to every match, and that this latency isn’t consistent. Reaction based players and rushdown is inherently nerfed online in a lot of aspects, every interaction is more safe online since it is more difficult to punish, and zoners tend to be better in that kind of environment. Add to the fact that parrying is directly neutured, and what you have is a vastly different meta with different tactics becoming more or less effective. Jumping is much better online, and much harder to consistently punish. In fact, WiFi as a whole is inconsistent in a lot of ways.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
On the topic of secret top players in elite smash, I would say no, at least not at the level of what a “pro” would be (beating a pgr player and placing well at a major). The online environment is a different meta, simply due to the inherent input latency that’s added to every match, and that this latency isn’t consistent. Reaction based players and rushdown is inherently nerfed online in a lot of aspects, every interaction is more safe online since it is more difficult to punish, and zoners tend to be better in that kind of environment. Add to the fact that parrying is directly neutured, and what you have is a vastly different meta with different tactics becoming more or less effective. Jumping is much better online, and much harder to consistently punish. In fact, WiFi as a whole is inconsistent in a lot of ways.
I agree with all of these points, I suggested an Ethernet only mode! But yeah it is def different. It’s 2019 they can make it work, with some sort of standards on ping as well.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
I am telling you there are people who are just as good if not better at this game who would not even consider being in a tournament because most people are just not that hardcore about it or have other obligations. We will see in time if Nintendo can get the people organized. We need this mode I speak of to really figure it out. Ethernet only with some sort of Ping standard for the top 100 in the world. Elite is still thousands of people which really just isn’t elite enough. I would say there are def smash masters out there akin to a martial arts master as some people have been at this stuff religiously since 64. This isn’t some new game, the core is still the same as the debut game. I hope Nintendo really does their part with this like Capcom does for street fighter.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
I am telling you there are people who are just as good if not better at this game who would not even consider being in a tournament because most people are just not that hardcore about it or have other obligations. We will see in time if Nintendo can get the people organized. We need this mode I speak of to really figure it out. Ethernet only with some sort of Ping standard for the top 100 in the world. Elite is still thousands of people which really just isn’t elite enough. I would say there are def smash masters out there akin to a martial arts master as some people have been at this stuff religiously since 64. This isn’t some new game, the core is still the same as the debut game. I hope Nintendo really does their part with this like Capcom does for street fighter.
If you are saying there is a prodigy out there that can be the best player in the world if he just showed up to a tournament cause he would beat everyone I’m saying that’s very improbable. However if you are saying there is someone with the “potential” to become the best player in the world if he showed up to more tournaments then I would be inclined to agree. But the point I was making is that online and offline home different skill sets, and some of those skill sets don’t translate well to the other. It’s too big of a stretch.

Depunked

Smash Rookie
NNID
AdrianHD
There’s more to tournaments than just how well you play the game. Tournaments are about endurance and mental strength. It’s playing progressively tougher games over a long period of time. It’s playing for money. It’s playing with people rooting against you. It’s pressure. Anyone can be a lab rat and do well. Just look at Cosmos. Dude was huge on wifi on Smash 4, he didn’t just take tournaments free. There’s a different play when it comes to tournaments in person vs. online and the pro play comes after many tournaments of practicing your tourney nerves.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
Saw a dark Samus at 3.215 today, god help puff with that matchup lol I’m currently at 3.197 struggling to string together the wins for 3.2 lol Everybody is completely correct though playing on the consoleVersus playing on the Internet is a completely different ballgame. You just have to learn to play with the lag. Which greatly benefits campy characters,It’s all good though, still having a great time doing this, I have been dedicated to Melee forFive or so years and it was just really hard to find someone to play against whenever I wanted to, This game just provide such a great array of matchups, although when you get to the higher level, you tend to keep running into the same characters.

TiltSmash

Smash Rookie
Just saw a Lucina at 3,210,00 GSP, I am currently at 3,204, 074 GSP with Inkling. Should I start signing up for tournaments and show my moves?

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
Just saw a Lucina at 3,210,00 GSP, I am currently at 3,204, 074 GSP with Inkling. Should I start signing up for tournaments and show my moves?
Couldn’t hurt! Like I said I faced a Samus at 3.215 so we know there are at least 5,000 people better lol people on this thread have been pretty vocal about how different online and the local is, the lag makes it almost a separate game, I can feel it as well when I’m playing locally.

Toyamasmash

Smash Cadet
Who’s going to be the first to 3.3? It’s a race lol somebody report in if they see this via YouTube or something. I’m really liking this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom