• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Curious about brawl

Yogi Backair

Smash Cadet
So I've been wondering lately, is this game still being played competitively despite smash 4 and melee? I've heard that smash 64 has more players and technical depth along with a more vibrant tournament scene, so how are diehard brawl players going about trying to make this game still seem viable?

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Yes the game is still being played and forcing ways to play the game, because Brawl is an amazing game. As well, Brawl is the second technical game with moments, results and so forth (behind Melee). Thanks.

Last edited:

Yogi Backair

Smash Cadet
Is it more technical than 64? 64 has like z canceling and stuff, does tripping count as tech?

Yogi Backair

Smash Cadet
Even sm4sh has a bunch of that brawl didn't right? I thought that's why it was received so much better

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Mm, yes, Brawl has everything Smash-64 has and more techniques and tactics (still the love the game the same as Brawl <3).

"Even sm4sh has a bunch of that brawl didn't right? I thought that's why it was received so much better"

This is where I get annoyed by false accusations, first off, Smash-4 isn't no where near technicality tactics and overall more options wise. Smash-4 been getting "patched" which is simply the term "nerf" (downgraded).

However what Smash-4 has that Brawl doesn't have is oh sweet "balance" yet that's bull but many want to believe it when in reality, Sheik and the other S Tier characters keep winning tournaments and the other characters don't (just like Brawl nothing more nothing less).

Smash-4 is seen more valuable, because the game is "balanced" and Brawl isn't which is true.

The game is so simple even a baby could play the game, no techniques to worry about (even more simple and difficulty to actually experiment to improve your character really). Lastly, Smash-4 is seen more "faster" and without the use of tripping (which is the only problem, yet many like to take advantage and add extra bull twist rumors that are 100% false). MK is debatable since MetaKnight hasn't won consistently like he always has (because we Brawl players are figuring him out day by day).

Fighting games are always unbalanced no matter what patch bull anyone can think of to "improve". Smash is actually a party fighting game but still displays "fighting" so the game shouldn't be an exception and wasn't until Smash-4 came in.

Play the game okay (Smash-4) but don't throw false accusations like they have been feeding you. I've been here since 2006 but made an account in 2011 I know what I'm ranting about. I don't "sugarcoat" lies, I write or say the truth on both games without false bs.

I have played Smash-4 btw (first week when the game came out). Then after another week of consistently playing the game, I came to the final decision and that's Smash-4 has nothing worth wild to offer and I was right. It's a over "hyped" that is seen bigger but in reality it isn't. Thanks.

Last edited:

Yogi Backair

Smash Cadet
Ok, but Brawl was designed to not be competitive right? Like don't those games go to time outs a lot? I feel like the scene has to be dying for it, there's literally a game to every side of it that does what it does but better. If youre looking for technicality, there's obviously melee. If you like more character choices, project melee. If you like the less technical aspects of brawl then there's smash 4, and if you're trying to be a hipster there's 64. I don't get it

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Once again this is why you don't believe everything said or written. I believe that virus you wrote made me sick from reading that untrue and a cluster of absolute and ultimate garbage. I just have a question to write to you, have you ever watched a Brawl video, hmm?

Here this is a classic M2K vs Ally 2009 or 2008 I know the up-loader is late but Idk how long. Anyways here's the video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3XnacCzs8S0

Now I could link the new ones, but no the old one is perfect, why? Because it shows MK against a character that is "bad" against this character. I bet you haven't even watched this video as well.

Time outs? Meh rarely, Smash-4 has done that or almost as well, all games do that
You are just brainwashed to think smash-4 doesn't break those boundaries which does a lot more. The fact that the game is played with only two stocks instead of Brawl with three. Thanks.

Yogi Backair

Smash Cadet
Well to be honest I don't play either brawl or sm4sh, but I don't think that I've been brainwashed about anything. I know brawl was designed to be non-competitive, I've seen interviews with m2k where he calls the game boring, he only played it cuz there was money involved. But I'm not here to dump on brawl, I was wondering how the scene was doing

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Well to be honest I don't play either brawl or sm4sh, but I don't think that I've been brainwashed about anything. I know brawl was designed to be non-competitive, I've seen interviews with m2k where he calls the game boring, he only played it cuz there was money involved. But I'm not here to dump on brawl, I was wondering how the scene was doing
That was an old interview, after Brawl progressed near 2010 he looked at it differently. Besides I don't care what anyone will think about Brawl (especially tourney players). Anyways that's about it, they play to win money (yet I make more than all of them).

But if anyone wants serious finical income, then go enter Street Fighter, UMvC3, MvC2 and Blue Blaze and Call Of Duty (they make more than Smash players combined total with just one game that I listed). Call Of Duty players make more money than me which is a given (since they make millions of dollars not joking either). Thanks.

Yogi Backair

Smash Cadet
I'm not saying I'm here to make money (though implying that being worse than these players but having a higher income to suggest superiority is a nice touch) but I just don't know what state brawl is in right now tournament wise. All those games you listed are good, playable games, which I feel like brawl might be lacking at right now considering the competition that it faces. Also, you wouldn't happen to be like a steamboat captain would you? I base that guess on your love of slow boring things lol

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
So exactly who are you referring when you write "that being worse than these players but having a higher income". Is it just in general or a specific person? As in Brawl tournaments the tournaments are located in Canada. Brawl is fine it's the new players that joined the scene to make Brawl and other games like Smash-64 look small, because of Smash-4 being so simple to play and it is you better admit the same-thing or I'm suspecting you're some kind of troll; joined scene because of the simplicity of Smash-4 anyone can play that game ANYONE. See here's the thing and is actual truth, I could play Smash-4 right now and do fine like the rest; however, if you on the other hand wanted to Brawl and believe you'll do fine, you wont and I'm 100% sure, so what's my point? A fighting game (even party) is meant to be a challenge, haven't you seen how MvC2 is played? It's more technical than Melee even I assure you, so? So is this, Smash-4 is too easy and boring yes to actually watch or play.

Not sure what kind of Brawl videos you've been watching, but no Brawl is more than entertaining a quick fix is watching any TAS video even the beginner users making a Brawl TAS video (still looks and feels better than Smash-4). Steamboat captain? You serious? My love on slow boring things? You have no idea what you're rambling on about just a Smash-4 wannabe trying to act like the rest who are wannabes that shouldn't be taken seriously at all. Thanks.

Last edited:

Yogi Backair

Smash Cadet
No hahaha I don't play sm4sh, I play melee. That's pretty silly though to say that brawl is more technical than melee, and it's irrelevant how well I'd do at a brawl tourney because there's no way I'd ever play in one hahah, and look it seems to me that, even if brawl has more things that fall under "technical" than smash 4, it's still an easier game to play. I've seen it, you get lots of time to react and pretty much just need to memorize chain grabs or play meta knight. But again, I'm just asking what brawls community is doing right now to keep itself going. Are there still even brawl tournaments?

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I'm surprised no one else has responded back to your obscured answer especially "even if brawl has more things that fall under "technical" than smash 4, it's still an easier game to play." Please just hush you have no idea what you're ranting about. I also doubt you're a Melee player at all just adding a main to show you play Melee. Also you don't play Smash-4 as you wrote, but I see a Little mac icon which means hat character can only be seen in Smash-4 you're full of it man.

Last edited:
Top Bottom