• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide CunningKitsune's Guide to Ace Arwing Pilot Fox McCloud

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Update in Ending Stages

I am pleased to announce that the update is nearing completion. I recently completed the Low Tier character match-ups and thus have only the comparatively smaller sections of the Bottom Tier, References, and Final Words to update. Expect the completed product in the coming days, but do remember to allow me some time to format the guide properly so as to facilitate navigation.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Or anything involving Bunbun.

He says he'll contribute to the kirby and pichu matchups, though. ...

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Update Complete

At long last, I am happy to announce that the update is complete. The final product weighs in at something like 496 kB and represents a nigh-complete revision of version 4.00 from start to finish. I will post the update as soon as possible, complete with links and formatting for ease of navigation and reading. Once again, I would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to all of the readers, who made this endeavor so very much worth it, and to all those who had a role in even the most indirect of fashions in creating this work.

I will post again when I have finished editing this thread's posts to reflect the new version. Thank you once again to all interested and involved parties, and I hope you enjoy my work.

- CK

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Version 5.00 (2009 Update) Has Arrived

I am proud to announce the completion of the 2009 draft of this guide. This version, version 5.00, incorporates the sum of my experience up to this point in time, the new knowledge that I have gained thanks to the general community, and contributions from certain members of the community (cited in both the text of the guide as well as in the final major section, titled Final Words). I have also added a bit of formatting to make reading this chunk of text a bit easier on the eyes as well as links in the Guide Outline section to each of the six posts containing the corresponding sections, topics, and sub-topics cited in the outline itself.

Again, I would like to thank all of you for making this update possible and for maintaining the legacy of this great game to this day. I sincerely appreciate all of the comments and feedback that I have received throughout the years, and I very much hope that this guide comes to the aid of all Melee players, Fox mains and otherwise, who seek aid as they continue to better themselves as competitors and as community members. Thank you all once again, and happy reading.

- CK

kirkq

Smash Ace
Regarding Stage Counters:

I agree that Final Destination may be the best level for Fox against most Falcos, but I must state that Fountain of Dreams hinders Falco's laser game pretty significantly. The pillar game on Yoshi's Story is probably equal to Fountain of Dreams, but Falco can still utilize both platforms and lasers effectively. I also think Dream Land is one of Falco's best stages because of his high jump maneuverability. The size of the stage also helps Falco stay on stage longer, but perhaps this helps fox equally.

Personally, I typically play this match (as Falco) staying under platforms, utilizing them as a barrier for the approaching opponent. I think that this is very helpful against Fox's full jump aerial approach. So I think a good Falco level has good platforms and good laser space. I'm also really bad at spacing this match. >_<

P.S. (Falcon should clearly state that "Fox can't cover all the angles.")

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Excellent stuff, but I've come to expect excellence from you, so it's not really surprising. This kind of guide makes me want to main fox just because I'd have 12 options for every situation conceivable in smash due to this guide. :)

4 Aces

Smash Ace
It's nice to see this guide finally completed after all these years. It's such an amazing guide. I owe a lot to it.

Unless there's already a link to these (if that's the case, then nevermind), I think some of these guides ought to be tacked onto the reference page:

I think some of these guides ought to be merged into the first post.

SHDL Data vs. Every Character - Frame data about SHDL. Made by Shai Hulud.

Platforms 101 - Platform techniques. Phanna made this guide.

Dash Platform Dropping - A New Advanced Tech - A technique Shai Hulud developed.

The last two aren't really Fox-exclusive, as they can be done with any other character. I just thought that they're useful to have in this thread. Not sure if the last two belong here...

ac_burito

Smash Journeyman
P.S. (Falcon should clearly state that "Fox can't cover all the angles.")
haha i second this! oh and i suppose i can say nice job on the update...though i didnt see any credit to dj for writing the thing ;) but still very informative and alot of things to consider and try to implement

omnicloud7strife

Smash Apprentice
CK! <3

Thanks for getting this done. You rock foreverrrrr. :3

I remember when you were just starting, and we talked about it. Anyways, yay you! You did it! And, Fox will become EVEN BETTER now. :D

So, thanks, and update again every year or two.

~Omni~

XD1337

Smash Apprentice
Great guide! Hopefullly i can get my own tv soon so I can practice this stuff and stop getting ***** at the biweeklys. :O

'Fro

Smash Lord
CKit hasn't said this explicitly, but there are 2 whole new sections in the guide's update. Right before the section detailing all the shine's uses and after the one talking about mindgames are sections talking about spacing and prediction, two of the concepts that CKit himself emphasizes for his own playstyle and for success as a Smasher in general. Great reads that I heavily recommend. Just in case you want something to CTRL + F, they're called : The Power Spacing and Stage Control, and Prediction and the Problem-Solution Methodology.

BunBun

Smash Master
Actually, I don't know what you're saying. Stage information is there for matchups. What else do you need to know about stages?

I hear the snag the trophies stage is a bad place to take DK, because he can combo you and the blast zones are immediately next to the stage.

omnicloud7strife

Smash Apprentice
Mmm. This guide is still sexy. I keep reading it. It's really helpful for making me wanna play better. CK, you rock like hell for this. Hopefully, we can chat more and more about these things later. The matchups are really great, though it's sometimes tough to read it all at once. But, I wanted to improve my Peach Matchup, and I feel like reading the guide has helped me (I just need to play someone, now). For those that have missed this guide, in some way, shape or form, you should read this. Even if you don't play Fox, you should read it, just to see how Fox players think. (Like how I read guides on other characters for that purpose, sometimes.)

This guide is inspiring, and fantastic. Thanks again, CK.

~Omni~

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Man...what a guide. So intricate, and so helpful that it gives mains of other characters insight on what to expect and what to do against fox.

GREAT job man!

Top Bottom