• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CSS Color Changer v1.2

The Realest

Smash Cadet
I made a desktop app to change the colors of the character select screen. The app supports changing the bottom frame, top frame, cursor, rules, background, and the selects in the background. All you need to do is provide a valid MnSlChr.*sd (MnSlChr.usd, MnSlChr.0sd, etc.) file, pick your desired colors, and replace that file back in a .iso. I recommend using DAT Texture Wizard to get and replace the file.

Changing everything, but the "selects in the background" are pretty trivial to do manually. There's 16 selects in the background each having an offset per letter so 16 * 6 = 96 offsets in total, which is very tedious to do manually, this app aids in that process and can create some interesting effects.

The "background" masks "the selects in the background" pretty well, so making that "background" invisible by setting the transparency values to all 0s for the "background" offset lets us see the once practically hidden "selects in the background," as shown here:

Here's some other examples of CSSs made with the app:

Offsets used in the project:

MeleeCSSColorChangerDoc.png

If you want to learn how to change the colors by yourself, check out Changing Color Effects in Melee.
If you're interested in hearing a little about my process for this project you can read the blog post.

App Download
Code

Last edited:

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
How does this not desync? Does this mean we can replace other .dat files and play online?

Ry_Guy

Smash Rookie
How does this not desync? Does this mean we can replace other .dat files and play online?
I've been doing it since release and haven't had too many issues, I'd reccomend making frequent backups though. I have been able to use just about any texture hack and haven't really gotten a de-sync or anything ymmv

TerpySSBM

Smash Rookie
I use completely custom animations and texture and have no desync issues at all.

ToastyBunBun

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
TOES#335
This is awesome, thanks for making this app
Is there a guide anywhere on how to make a fully custom background for the CSS like this one?

I've seen this one floating around a lot and I'd like to make my own in a similar style

NewChallenger

Smash Cadet
What does starting offset 0x000958 mean? I can't search and find anything like that in HxD

I just wanna change the main background color, and this app seems to mess up my M-Ex tool ISOs, so I just wanna change like 1 part of the code to make a different color background, if that's not too much to ask

Top Bottom