• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CRT vs LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
This question has been bothering me for the longest time: do you guys notice any differences between the tvs? What about Wii vs. Gamecube? No trouble with Wii or Gamecube, but personally, I feel a good bit of lag whenever I play on LCD tvs/flatscreens/etc. None of my friends feel it, but then again they don't play with l-cancels so they can't even see the differences there either.

So...is there a difference or is it just me?

There is a difference.

Component cables cut out half the lag

VGA's cut out almost all of it

Smashers ***** about it all the time

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I find a difference between the Wii and the Gamecube. i dk why though... i've been chaucking it up to my GC is old lol.

as far as T.V.s go there's DEF a lag on LCD T.V.s. i my experience there was lag on a T.V. at a party with people from work... to the point where i was loosing to these noobs who didn't know any advanced techs because nothing was working the way it should've been. and I work with these people, who know i go to tournies and were expecting something amazing! they were basically telling me "No Johns" without saying that... then i picked Sheik and ***** some ****. I'm bringing my own T.V. next time to shove a waveshine-u-smash up their noses lol. but yes in short i find a difference between T.V.s and systems, though i can adjust to the system differences.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
what people dont understand is that the reason that lcd's lag is because of postprocessing, not lcd technology in itself. if there was a simple way to turn off postprocessing on lcd's then they wouldnt lag at all (maybe 1-4 ms more then an average crt, but thats not really noticeable).
sure they would still smear (and therefore look laggy since youd see parts of old frames, but youd still always see the newest frame so it wont feel laggy and wont actually be laggy either) and the colors would be uneven but still better then having 60+ ms of lag due to postprocessing.

oh, and postprocessing is also the reason that some tv's lag less when you use vga, the lcd will usually not use any postprocessing when it gets its input via vga since most people dont want lag when using the lcd for their pc (which is what vga is used for 99% of the time). theres nothing magical about the cables in themselves.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Oh god, I feel so ignorant about t.v.'s.

There is a difference.

Component cables cut out half the lag

VGA's cut out almost all of it

Smashers ***** about it all the time
What's component cables and VGA's? Components are for LCDs while VGA's are for CRTs?

I find a difference between the Wii and the Gamecube. i dk why though... i've been chaucking it up to my GC is old lol.

as far as T.V.s go there's DEF a lag on LCD T.V.s. i my experience there was lag on a T.V. at a party with people from work... to the point where i was loosing to these noobs who didn't know any advanced techs because nothing was working the way it should've been. and I work with these people, who know i go to tournies and were expecting something amazing! they were basically telling me "No Johns" without saying that... then i picked Sheik and ***** some ****. I'm bringing my own T.V. next time to shove a waveshine-u-smash up their noses lol. but yes in short i find a difference between T.V.s and systems, though i can adjust to the system differences.
I know how you feel. It's very annoying. I find that the best I can do consistantly is l-cancel or shffl. Even those feel a little out of whack. Waveshines and the other technical stuff is usually botched up.

what people dont understand is that the reason that lcd's lag is because of postprocessing, not lcd technology in itself. if there was a simple way to turn off postprocessing on lcd's then they wouldnt lag at all (maybe 1-4 ms more then an average crt, but thats not really noticeable).
sure they would still smear (and therefore look laggy since youd see parts of old frames, but youd still always see the newest frame so it wont feel laggy and wont actually be laggy either) and the colors would be uneven but still better then having 60+ ms of lag due to postprocessing.

oh, and postprocessing is also the reason that some tv's lag less when you use vga, the lcd will usually not use any postprocessing when it gets its input via vga since most people dont want lag when using the lcd for their pc (which is what vga is used for 99% of the time). theres nothing magical about the cables in themselves.
What's postprocessing? Sorry, I'm a nub when it comes to TVs.

So...VGA cables can be used to...erm...counteract postprocessing?

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
I love CRTs. And yeah, the Wii lags on LCDs despite its 'HD' option. I don't pretend to understand the technology, but I just play with a good CRT and be done with it.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I love CRTs. And yeah, the Wii lags on LCDs despite its 'HD' option. I don't pretend to understand the technology, but I just play with a good CRT and be done with it.
Same. The problem is when I try to play with humans...I usually have to play at their houses, and everyone seems to have an LCD/HD/Flatscreen tv now. :/

Rappster

Smash Ace
Oh god, I feel so ignorant about t.v.'s.

What's component cables and VGA's? Components are for LCDs while VGA's are for CRTs?
y'know your red, yellow, and white cables? thats component cables. most tv related things use them.
VGAs are the blue things you plug into your computer monitor

LLDL

Smash Hero
Guys, there IS a difference between playing melee on the wii and gamecube. Nothing that really will affect your gameplay once warmed up, but you may noticed a slight change in the framerate or somehthing. I never used to notice it, but once my falco got fast enough, playing on my wii felt weird and I started getting paranoid about it and I confirmed it by hooking up my cube and wii at the same time and switching channels between them.

There is a difference, someone confirm what it is.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
What's postprocessing? Sorry, I'm a nub when it comes to TVs.

So...VGA cables can be used to...erm...counteract postprocessing?
so basically a high end lcd tv will have a processor in it that does mathematical calulations to adjust the colors of the tv to get rid of all the little flaws that lcd's have (smearing, uneven colors due to backlightning etc). but these calculations take time and cause lag.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Lcd Tvs have only one native resolution.It could be 720 or higher.The gamecube or wii can never output these resolution so the tv downscales the image and you get the button lag.

Gamecube maximum is 480 or 480p with component cables.

Wii maximum is 480p with its componenet cables.

The only systems that are really HD ready are Ps3s and Xbox360s.

These means that lcd tvs are not compatible with gamecubes or the Wii.If you play on them your wasting your time.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Guys, there IS a difference between playing melee on the wii and gamecube. Nothing that really will affect your gameplay once warmed up, but you may noticed a slight change in the framerate or somehthing. I never used to notice it, but once my falco got fast enough, playing on my wii felt weird and I started getting paranoid about it and I confirmed it by hooking up my cube and wii at the same time and switching channels between them.

There is a difference, someone confirm what it is.
i'm not sure if there's a difference in framerate. i definitely didn't notice.

however, the picture for the wii is noticeably crisper, which at high speeds, may make it look like the framerate is weird.

here's a side by side comparison i took of the two. i'm sorry they're not the EXACT same picture (just diff characters) but you can definitely see what i mean (i mean, it's the same screen FFS)

top is wii, bottom is GC obviously

which one has a smoother framerate in your opinion?

answer the question in your head before reading what's in this:

i'm guessing the gamecube's framerate looks better because the pictures a bit blurrier, so it's harder to notice the imperfections frame-by-frame. like, the lack of clarity sorta makes it look smooth, while the extra clarity in the Wii makes it look sorta sharp and hard. if it's the other way around, then i really haven't the slightest idea. I'm collapsing this because i don't want it to spoil your answer.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I would assume you would get a more consistent framerate on the more powerful wii.

FoD is less likely to lag on the wii. Ive played a teams game and the framerate didnt drop. But ive also played and had it drop.

@mike haggar-how you kno so much bout tvs and **** ***? but you make that other thread askin if Crts lag differently lol.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I would assume you would get a more consistent framerate on the more powerful wii.

FoD is less likely to lag on the wii. Ive played a teams game and the framerate didnt drop. But ive also played and had it drop.

@mike haggar-how you kno so much bout tvs and **** ***? but you make that other thread askin if Crts lag differently lol.
im not really an expert on tvs i just happen to know that the reason that high end lcds lag so unbearably much is because of postprocessing

as for crts i was sure they had virtually no lag until i got a new one which i swear to god lags.
btw the crt im talking about doesnt lag ANYWHERE NEAR as much as lcd hdtvs do. NOWHERE CLOSE.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Lol. I have never noticed any Crt lag. But I have been in situations where I thought one tv was smoother or faster than another.

and I mean the tv not the framerate or anything.

ArstNeio

Smash Apprentice
One time I played on an LCD that had a "Video Game Mode" that reduced lag, and it worked pretty well. Usually they lag though, CRT for the win.

Also played on an LCD portable DVD player (something like an 8" screen), and expected it to lag a ton, but it actually was just as good as my CRT. Don't know if this is true for all portable DVD players or just the one I had, but if it is true for all portable DVD players, then that means it'll be much, much easier to bring a setup around. The screen's definitely big enough to do singles; doubles requires a bit more....concentration.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
There's a new LCD monitor coming out that only has a 1ms response time. Considering a frame is somewhere around 18ms, that's pretty good

Vyzor

Smash Journeyman
Well I usually play my Melee on my LCD with an HD Wii cable and I usually don't feel any lag. I also play on an CRT and don't feel any lag..so...idk.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Have you guys ever tried to plug a Gamecube/Wii up to a VCR or a DVD player before? I remember when I tried to record some of my matches on them before. The VCR works just fine, but the DVD player made Melee lag on the Gamecube. Never tried it with the Wii however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom