• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CRT Recommendations

gametime_dime

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I was wondering what size and make of crt's you guys have or like to play on. I have been playing on a 32 inch screen and have no problems with but I was wondering what you guys like to play on?

Shears

Smash Master
I like smaller screens mostly because they're easier to carry around and they generally have the same resolution so therefore a higher pixel density.

gametime_dime

Smash Rookie
Carrying a larger screen wont be an issue but it is interestingtjat the smaller screens have the same resolution. I do like sony as a brand too.

What about widescreens or are square screens preferred

Last edited by a moderator:

IAmProPAGANda

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know of a widescreen hack for smash 64? Since the limitations of the 64 maybe an anamorphic 16:9? Just asking cause I have a HDCRT and modded my n64 for rgb output but I don't like the stretched image. Thanks

Edit: Oh yeah sorry forgot to mention not for an emulator or anything. I have an everdrive so if I could somehow hack the rom to support it for the original hardware that'd be nice.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Does anyone know of a widescreen hack for smash 64? Since the limitations of the 64 maybe an anamorphic 16:9? Just asking cause I have a HDCRT and modded my n64 for rgb output but I don't like the stretched image. Thanks

Edit: Oh yeah sorry forgot to mention not for an emulator or anything. I have an everdrive so if I could somehow hack the rom to support it for the original hardware that'd be nice.
Where in Maryland are you? We have weekly tournaments in Baltimore at Xanadu Games you should come check out.

IAmProPAGANda

Smash Cadet
Where in Maryland are you? We have weekly tournaments in Baltimore at Xanadu Games you should come check out.
Haha I've been a couple times it's all fun! i'm actually like 5 minutes away (UMBC) but I'm just not into the whole competition thing for video games. More of a tech skill/combo video person. But thanks for inviting me!

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Haha I've been a couple times it's all fun! i'm actually like 5 minutes away (UMBC) but I'm just not into the whole competition thing for video games. More of a tech skill/combo video person. But thanks for inviting me!
Well we do play a lot of friendlies for a couple hours and yesterday we had a low tier tourney for fun.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know of a widescreen hack for smash 64? Since the limitations of the 64 maybe an anamorphic 16:9? Just asking cause I have a HDCRT and modded my n64 for rgb output but I don't like the stretched image.
The hell are you talking about? Anamorphism is the process of distorting an image into a different aspect ratio. There's no way to make a non "stretched" version of the game without literally changing the dimensions of the draw screen in memory, which I don't think would be feasible on the n64 architecture. I'm no expert on game programming from that era but my shallow understanding is that what actually gets burned to the cart is low level memory instructions and trying to change something so fundamental to what's loaded into memory would probably cause overflows or other weird problems.

I also must strongly agree with the people in this thread though. As not only a video game but a film enthusiast, people who think aspect ratios don't matter and just want the image to "fill " their screen deserve a special place in hell.

Shears

Smash Master
The hell are you talking about? Anamorphism is the process of distorting an image into a different aspect ratio. There's no way to make a non "stretched" version of the game without literally changing the dimensions of the draw screen in memory, which I don't think would be feasible on the n64 architecture. I'm no expert on game programming from that era but my shallow understanding is that what actually gets burned to the cart is low level memory instructions and trying to change something so fundamental to what's loaded into memory would probably cause overflows or other weird problems.

I also must strongly agree with the people in this thread though. As not only a video game but a film enthusiast, people who think aspect ratios don't matter and just want the image to "fill " their screen deserve a special place in hell.
You're both wrong. Animorphism is when you morph into an animal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animorphs

****ing noobs get rekt.

IAmProPAGANda

Smash Cadet

I understand what anamorphism is no need to go textbook on me. And yes that is exactly what I was asking. I don't know anything about smash 64 modding but in melee you can write gecko codes in assembly then turn them into hex which you inject via the start.dol file. I'd assume something similar would be possible with smash 64 but I actually have no clue.

Here's an example of the 16:9 mod that you can do for melee and yes it runs on the native hardware without performance issues.
http://imgur.com/a/EQXY5

As you can see the resolution stays the same but it shows more so when you stretch the image it appears to be 16:9. Not a true 16:9 but pretty close.

Last edited:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
I understand what anamorphism is no need to go textbook on me. And yes that is exactly what I was asking. I don't know anything about smash 64 modding but in melee you can write gecko codes in assembly then turn them into hex which you inject via the start.dol file. I'd assume something similar would be possible with smash 64 but I actually have no clue.

Here's an example of the 16:9 mod that you can do for melee and yes it runs on the native hardware without performance issues.
http://imgur.com/a/EQXY5

As you can see the resolution stays the same but it shows more so when you stretch the image it appears to be 16:9. Not a true 16:9 but pretty close.
Ahh I see what you mean. That's actually a pretty clever trick and it seems like it should work just as well in 64 since it still has a dynamic camera. You would basically just be hacking the camera to "zoom out" in the X direction but not Y

tehz

Smash Apprentice
When I read this: http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/31lc8t/my_melee_looks_funny_an_in_depth_breakdown_of/, I get the feeling that it should be possible to do widescreen 64 (assuming there's not like giant lag from having to draw the extra pixels).

My hunch is that we could use the widescreen codes from the other thread to figure out how the screen is drawn. Then, we could inject a function to modify the screen drawing to 16:9 (which is what the melee widescreen code does).

Of course, you still have all of the awful problems with N64 hacking (Gameshark sucks; no one really knows how to modify the rom + flash carts are like $200, etc.)

IAmProPAGANda

Smash Cadet
When I read this: http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/31lc8t/my_melee_looks_funny_an_in_depth_breakdown_of/, I get the feeling that it should be possible to do widescreen 64 (assuming there's not like giant lag from having to draw the extra pixels).

My hunch is that we could use the widescreen codes from the other thread to figure out how the screen is drawn. Then, we could inject a function to modify the screen drawing to 16:9 (which is what the melee widescreen code does).

Of course, you still have all of the awful problems with N64 hacking (Gameshark sucks; no one really knows how to modify the rom + flash carts are like $200, etc.)
Yeah that's what I was thinking. It might be a summer project of mine since I just got a everdrive and really love smash 64. So much untapped potential with this game.

nickthename

Smash Apprentice
Unless there's a real price drop in flash carts (which would be awesome) I don't know how any of this hacking could work on console.

Top Bottom