• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crouch grabbing

Crouch grabbing

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
MarthZ submitted a new guide:

Crouch grabbing - Jump cancel alternative

Note: I only tested this with Marth so thats why I put this in the Marth category
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q&A
Q:what the f*ck is a crouch grab
A:Thats what I'm here to explain
Q:Ur Marth sux my mum is betr than u
A:I don't really care
Q:Is your body reggie
A:very much reggie...
Read more about this guide...

AirFair

Marth tho
Well, it's not a bad technique, but the limitation is that it can only be used out of a run.

The second question I have that you neglected to put in your Q&A is
How is this any better than a JC grab?

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
Well, it's not a bad technique, but the limitation is that it can only be used out of a run.

The second question I have that you neglected to put in your Q&A is
How is this any better than a JC grab?
it isn't better than a JC its just an easier alternative to JC out of a run. Also has this been discovered before?

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
When run cancelling was discovered, everything you could do it out of was also 'discovered'.
I also don't really see the point of this.
Why split grabbing into another flowchart of 'when running i have to use a different method of grabbing'
when you can always JC and get rid of the flowchart completely.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
The problem is that it's worse, since it's 1 frame slower. You can't actually crouch straight out of run, you must first be in RunBrake. So it goes like this frame by frame:

0: Run
1: RunBrake
2: Squat
3: Grab

In my opinion there's no point in switching from jc grabbing, which you need to be able to do anyway, to slower version.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
The problem is that it's worse, since it's 1 frame slower. You can't actually crouch straight out of run, you must first be in RunBrake. So it goes like this frame by frame:

In my opinion there's no point in switching from jc grabbing, which you need to be able to do anyway, to slower version.
its not 1 frame slower if you do it fast enough its as fast as a jump cancel grab but using this you dont have to have a certain timing on the jump button

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ MarthZ MarthZ Don't argue with frames ;). I already explained why it's slower. These are the fastest way to perform each tech:

Jc grab
1: Jump
2: Grab

Run -> crouch -> Grab

Last edited:

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
@ MarthZ MarthZ Don't argue with frames ;). I already explained why it's slower. These are the fastest way to perform each tech:

Jc grab
1: Jump
2: Grab

Run -> crouch -> Grab
You don't have to run brake you can do this while just running

AirFair

Marth tho
Guys, I don't think he knows what the action states are, nor has he visited the frame data pages.

To put it simply, they may look like they come out at the same speed, but in reality, they don't. One extra frame can mean a lot of things in a match.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
Guys, I don't think he knows what the action states are, nor has he visited the frame data pages.

To put it simply, they may look like they come out at the same speed, but in reality, they don't. One extra frame can mean a lot of things in a match.
I went back and tested and actually yeah i do see that extra frame sort of pretty easy to miss but that extra frame can help some times if its a spot dodge and stuff

tauKhan

Smash Lord
It's not that obvious though, if it wasn't for the 1 frame, which for example I learned about only after playing the game for 10 years, crouch grab would be kinda better because it would give you 1 armor frame.

Top Bottom