• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crouch Cancel in the SSBB Manual?

Bernal

Smash Rookie
Well my brother was reading the manual last night, and he found what seems to be the description of what seems to be a crouch cancel.

This is a dircect quote of what a crouch is according to the manaul on pg.7 - basic moves:

"Tilt down to crouch in place. This position stabilizes you, reducing the chances an attack will push you back."

It has already been confirmed that crouch cancelling is out, and it seems evident after playing the game too.

So what exactly is the manual talking about because in no way does crouching stabilze your character whatsoever. All it does is makes your character shorter and harder to hit.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
wow...that looks like the definition of crouch cancelling...but i think what people said about it, is that its not as affective as Melee, so maybe its still actually in?

Help!

Smash Journeyman
I've seen it work with samus once i think no joke, but im not absolutely positive at all on that, and i think it might only work on attacks like jabs and stuff the real weak ones. someone would have to test this out cuase im not postive at all

Pengie

Smash Lord
The way thaat they worded it makes it seem as if it were random. Somebody should test this and record it.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
LOL @ the manual actually teaching us stuff, same stuff happened with the DOJO(reverse falcon punch for example).

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it eliminates that animation where you stagger backwards on your hands and knees. I think more testing needs to be done.

Tyros

Smash Cadet
I'm... pretty sure that it's saying that if you crouch before getting hit, you're probably gonna get sent less far.

- Tyros

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
It's still in because after I read that I tried it and it in, maybe not as effective but it in.

SebIno

Smash Cadet
According to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyHqbpfJ7lY

it's out. But on some hits, the knockback on the jab seems to decrease. Then again, that could be a result of the move's repitition, since spamming hurts a move's effect.

Still, when Sheik stands up at the end and gets hit with the jab, it sends her back farther, and it doesn't look like that's just because she has damage.

So yeah, crouch canceling somewhat works in terms of knockback, it just doesn't cancel hit-stun (but that's been decreased in Brawl anyway) and it's harder to Dtilt out of it. I'll still probably use it out of habit anyway.

metaphysicist

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I think this is referring to knockback. I'm still not sold on the fact crouch cancelling is out though. I still use it to cancel into a grab. It is moderately successful at turning a running grab into a standing grab. Because of the time it takes for the lag caused by crouching to exhaust, it's not that useful except with characters that tend to slide a lot.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Crouch Cancelling isn't just less knockback, it's less hitstun, which lets you do stuff like instantly attack after taking a hit. That's the part that's out in Brawl. So Brawl's CC just reduces knockback with the same hitstun maybe? Interesting.

For the record, I believe the "Less knockback" possibly could just be ASDI down, but there may be a seperate mechanic for it.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
its in, just not nearly as useful or effective
even on the video that supposedly shows that its out, you can tell that its in

Top Bottom