• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crossbows ready!! Linkle aims for Smash

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Linkle

Why Linkle?
Because she is cute, awesome and unique. Oh.....and she wields dual crossbows!!!

Who is Linkle?

According to Linkle - Zelda Wiki:

Linkle is a young woman who lives in a small village in Hyrule where she takes care of Cuccos as a shepherd. Since she was little, she believes herself to be the reincarnated hero. She believes that the symbol that proves it is the Compass given to her by her grandmother, which has been passed down for generations. After hearing that Hyrule Castle is under attack by a demon, she sets out on a journey to save the kingdom, donning a green outfit. Linkle has a habit of getting lost easily and is bad at directions, despite owning a compass and a map. While setting out on her quest, she fails to notice a sign at a forked road pointing to the direction of Hyrule Castle, and takes the opposite path instead. During her victory cutscene, she continues to miss signs pointing to the castle's direction.

She enters a mysterious forest, only to become lost and suddenly have her Compass stolen by Skull Kid, forcing her to retrieve it from him. Twili Midna accompanies her on her travels at some point.

Many of her attacks will be based off her crossbows. However, she also has many electric kick type moves so here is the moveset I envision:

Jab(s): A series of kicks ending in a weak double crossbow shot.

U-tilt: Upward arc sweeping crossbow with a weak crossbow bolt at the top of the sweep
F-tilt: Round kick
D-Tilt: Spark sweep -- Linkle's Pegasus boots generates shock with hitstun similar to Pikachu's Thunder Jolt

Dash: Sliding Spark Kick -- Linkle slides and shocks opponent

Neutral Special: Hold to charge two powerful crossbow bomb bolts which can be shot later. Shot can be fired in any direction upon execution.
Forward Special: Alternating fire and ice arrows. Every shot alternates between fire and ice bolts. There will be a constant visual reminder which is up next (A white smoky haze or fiery haze emanating from her crossbows)
Down Special: Knee Lunge -- See IsmaR's post.
Up Special/Recovery: Cucco Flight -- Cucco can be thrown after recovery

Neutral Aerial: Triple aerial kick with minimal knock-back
F-aerial: Crossbow Whip (Like a pistol whip)
Reverse Aerial: Crossbow whip with an downward angled single crossbow bolt shot
D-Aerial/Meteor: Barrage of crossbow bolts shot downward below Linkle

Up: Linkle tosses opponent in air and releases a barrage of fiery crossbow bolts
Forward: Electric kick followed by a barrage of crossbow bolts
Back: Electric kick backwards
Down: Opponent thrown down while Linkle shoots and icy crossbow bolt -- opponent frozen (length determined by percentage)

F-smash: Crossbow fury: Linkle releases a barrage of crossbow bolts
U-smash: A mix of U-tilt and F-smash
D-smash: A spinning electrical breakdance-like multi-hit kick (hits all directions)

Final Smash: Crossbow rain: Raining attack of bomb arrows rains down on the screen or something like that.
-or-
Golden Cucco Army: An alternate idea could be a massive stage-wide golden cucco attack.

Here is Linkle in action in Hyrule Warriors:

These moves I based off of some of her attacks in Hyrule Warriors. I'd love to see moveset ideas from others.

Supported by:
Cyn Cyn
ErenJager ErenJager
fogbadge fogbadge
KatKit KatKit
Miifighters4Smash5 Miifighters4Smash5
smashkirby smashkirby
SonicMetaphor SonicMetaphor
Wonks Wonks
Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan
TeamFlareZakk TeamFlareZakk
@psb123
@ryumo
SneakyLink SneakyLink
Dannio Dannio

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I'd Love to see this happen; Linkle is such a Beloved Character; with her Use of Dual-Wielded Crossbows; She's practically A Shoe-In!!

Clearly a Link clone. :awesome:
Not Really; She doesn't have the Same Moves and/or Weapons as Link; So She's not REALLY a Clone!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I don’t care if spin-off characters like her are unlikely, she would be FUN in Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
we didnt have a thread for her? i would have made it myself, put me down as a supporter id love her to be in smash

KatKit

Smash Lord
Linkle was one of my favorite things about Hyrule Warriors! She was just so fun; she'd translate well into Smash from a gameplay perspective. I totally support this.

Since Linkle is bad at directions, I can imagine her getting so lost that she "accidentally" ends up in Smash lol.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Since Linkle is bad at directions, I can imagine her getting so lost that she "accidentally" ends up in Smash lol.
Her reveal video shows her looking at her compass and she walks directly into the Smash flames.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I'd be totally down for Linkle in smash. She'd be an interesting character with the dual crossbows. I also like that idea of the cucco recovery.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'd be totally down for Linkle in smash. She'd be an interesting character with the dual crossbows. I also like that idea of the cucco recovery.
I thought it would be fun to make the Cuckoo react how it does as an item in Smash 4, but I though it would be too OP.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I thought it would be fun to make the Cuckoo react how it does as an item in Smash 4, but I though it would be too OP.
It could be, maybe make it where just the one is attacking. If the enemy hits it it's their own fault.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It could be, maybe make it where just the one is attacking. If the enemy hits it it's their own fault.
That could work. It would also have to be usable/able to be caught and thrown or used as a gliding item by other players after Linkle discards/throws it.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
That could work. It would also have to be usable/able to be caught and thrown by other players after Linkle discards/throws it.
Definitely, and it falls slowly/makes the person holding it fall slowly

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Definitely, and it falls slowly/makes the person holding it fall slowly
You know, instead of the final smash I have listed, an alternative final smash idea could be a massive cuckoo attack. I'm going to edit that in.

D

Deleted member

Huh... I'm surprised this wasn't made already. But sure, Linkle would be pretty cool.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Huh... I'm surprised this wasn't made already. But sure, Linkle would be pretty cool.
I was surprised as well. Two days after SoS was revealed, there still wasn't a thread for this. I was looking for it to support it, but nope.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I pictured the Down Special as being a mix between both her Crossbows and Pegasus Boots "combo finisher" attack (which is also the X/strong Attack for the latter). Alternatively it could just be her version of Spin Attack.

Knee Lunge - Functions different depending on if it's used on ground or in the air. Linkle gets a running-in-place start, then charges forward knee first, while in the air she comes crashing down with a dive kick, both having different effects based on the contact/proximity to an opponent.

1) - The grounded version, as the name implies, goes a short distance forward similar to Mii Fighter's Onslaught ("default"/Side Special 1). Animation would match exactly as it does in game.

• If it catches multiple opponents at once, hits at the very tail end of the move, or if any opponent shields it, she goes straight through them without any interruption after doing a decent amount of knockback.
  • If it makes direct contact, Linkle combos into a second attack that pops the enemy up for a follow up (similar to Sheik's Custom Down Special 2 "Jellyfish").
  • The second hit would mimic the aerial version of the Down Special (listed below) and can lead to an even further extended combo.

2) - The aerial version would more closely match the animation for Linkle's Crossbows specific dive kick, and function uniquely based on the angle your attack lands. Again, matches how it looks in the source game.

• If no opponent is hit before the animation of hitting the ground occurs, Linkle causes a small explosive AoE effect that damages nearby enemies for minor damage.
  • If you make contact with an opponent, Linkle causes a bigger explosion, with the hit stunning opponents briefly. Linkle then bounces upwards off of them and can follow up with a quick aerial barrage of arrows being shot downwards.
  • The angle of the dive kick itself can be controlled slightly, with inputs similar to Bayonetta's downwards angled Afterburner Kick (which itself is described as a Hadouken motion)

I'd also riot if this wasn't one of her victory animations to mirror Toon Link.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I pictured the Down Special as being a mix between both her Crossbows and Pegasus Boots "combo finisher" attack (which is also the X/strong Attack for the latter). Alternatively it could just be her version of Spin Attack.

Knee Lunge - Functions different depending on if it's used on ground or in the air. Linkle gets a running-in-place start, then charges forward knee first, while in the air she comes crashing down with a dive kick, both having different effects based on the contact/proximity to an opponent.

1) - The grounded version, as the name implies, goes a short distance forward similar to Mii Fighter's Onslaught ("default"/Side Special 1). Animation would match exactly as it does in game.

• If it catches multiple opponents at once, hits at the very tail end of the move, or if any opponent shields it, she goes straight through them without any interruption after doing a decent amount of knockback.
    • If it makes direct contact, Linkle combos into a second attack that pops the enemy up for a follow up (similar to Sheik's Custom Down Special 2 "Jellyfish").
    • The second hit would mimic the aerial version of the Down Special (listed below) and can lead to an even further extended combo.
2) - The aerial version would more closely match the animation for Linkle's Crossbows specific dive kick, and function uniquely based on the angle your attack lands. Again, matches how it looks in the source game.

• If no opponent is hit before the animation of hitting the ground occurs, Linkle causes a small explosive AoE effect that damages nearby enemies for minor damage.
    • If you make contact with an opponent, Linkle causes a bigger explosion, with the hit stunning opponents briefly. Linkle then bounces upwards off of them and can follow up with a quick aerial barrage of arrows being shot downwards.
    • The angle of the dive kick itself can be controlled slightly, with inputs similar to Bayonetta's downwards angled Afterburner Kick (which itself is described as a Hadouken motion)

I'd also riot if this wasn't one of her victory animations to mirror Toon Link.

I saw you lurking earlier. I was wondering if you'd add anything. Glad you did. That would be a great down special. Added.

With your love of cuckoos, your victory animation doesn't surprise me. Lol. Add my name to the riot list.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You can count me in as a supporter. Since I first heard of her, I have wanted to see Linkle in the next Smash game. I'd definitely play as her.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You can count me in as a supporter. Since I first heard of her, I have wanted to see Linkle in the next Smash game. I'd definitely play as her.
I'll add you to the support list. I'm honestly surprised there is not more support for her. Though, I guess the other strongly supported characters have been supported for far longer.....Linkle is relatively new and does not appear in her own game.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I really want a Linkle alt costume personally. With that and the BotW Link, I might actually start using him again
Not sure how an alt would work. Linkle has a completely different moveset. Most of her moves are based on crossbows and kicks with some quirky cuckoo action. Her and link do not mesh as far as moves and abilities go. Yes Link uses a bow and arrow, but his go to weapon is a sword. Linkle does not use a sword.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Haha, complete with a large arrow sign pointing to Hyrule Castle in the opposite direction of the flames.
Seriously; Her Directional Skills are so Bad; It makes Roronoa Zoro Look like Nami!!!

P.S. That's a Joke, since Roronoa Zoro is just as Bad at Directions as Linkle.

I'll add you to the support list. I'm honestly surprised there is not more support for her. Though, I guess the other strongly supported characters have been supported for far longer.....Linkle is relatively new and does not appear in her own game.
Count me in as a Supporter(How will I Know if i've been Added?!)

Last edited by a moderator:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
This may be a stupid question.

Out of curiosity, is Linkle a Nintendo property or a Koei Tecmo property?

I know times are different from back in the day, and licensing deals vary case by case.
I sorta see her possibly in a similar light as Geno in Super Mario RPG.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This may be a stupid question.

Out of curiosity, is Linkle a Nintendo property or a Koei Tecmo property?

I know times are different from back in the day, and licensing deals vary case by case.
I sorta see her possibly in a similar light as Geno in Super Mario RPG.
Honestly I am not sure who owns the rights to her. I'd say Nintendo just because she inhabits the Zelda universe, but you should by no means quote me on that.

One Wikia says she was created by Omega Force and Team Ninja (source) but I have no idea how accurate that information is.

Wikipedia states, "Former Nintendo character writer Chris Pranger stated that Linkle was the last character he wrote for before leaving Nintendo." but again, I am unsure how accurate that information is.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I've never played Hyrule Warriors and Link is one of my worst characters in Smash...but man, Linkle sounds so endearing. I'd support her.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've never played Hyrule Warriors and Link is one of my worst characters in Smash...but man, Linkle sounds so endearing. I'd support her.
Endearing and kick***. She could have a potentially unique moveset that would instantly set her apart from other Hyrulians. I'll add you to the list of supporters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly I am not sure who owns the rights to her. I'd say Nintendo just because she inhabits the Zelda universe, but you should by no means quote me on that.

One Wikia says she was created by Omega Force and Team Ninja (source) but I have no idea how accurate that information is.

Wikipedia states, "Former Nintendo character writer Chris Pranger stated that Linkle was the last character he wrote for before leaving Nintendo." but again, I am unsure how accurate that information is.
all we need to do is find a video of the credits and keep an eye out for the copyright part

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
for some reason i only just put it together that since we have Mario Kart items and stages in Smash, there's already a precedent for spinoff stuff getting in. Zelda needs fresh blood and i'll take it from just about anywhere. Linkle's fine by me!

Top Bottom