• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

cross play vs. separate games debate

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
This may belong on the WiiU and 3DS general discussion thread, but I figured it probably deserves its own thread and from what I could find there was not a similar thread. I might have missed something though so bare with me.

Anyways on topic, as everyone here knows that Sm4sh has been announced for both 3DS and WiiU. This brings up questions like is it going to pull a PSASBR with cross play between two identical games?(maybe slight differences) or is it going to be two different games? Now we don't really have a say in this as far as actual development goes and i'm sure this has already been decided but speculation and discussion is for what these forums are for. So I am going to put up an argument for why they should be two separate games rather then similar. If you disagree feel free to counter, thats what the thread is for.

The first point being made is the effects of staggering release dates. A 3DS version should without a doubt be smaller seeing how the data cap is much lower. This means in theory it should be released first. This gives nintendo more time to make SmashU because people will be tided over with the 3DS release giving nintendo at least an extra 6-8 months of non rushed work time. Another thing I referenced before was that the 3DS game should be smaller. Making the games equal would lessen the quality/quantity of SmashU. However although it would be hindered Smash U would still have advantages over it's 3DS counterpart. Including better graphics and a tv screen instead of the 3d screen. Any time you would be playing multiplayer you would rather play on the TV leaving the 3ds version limited to road trips or wi-fi play granted they were the same. Making them different would let the 3ds version be more widely used considering it would contain more single player content which would make it more ideal then Smash U at home. Plus the staggering I mentioned earlier could serve as a beta for SmashU's wifi to make sure the larger game's wifi is flawless. In conclusion: both games would benefit from separate games because the 3DS game would come out sooner which would allow more development time on WiiU and serve as a beta to an extent on things in SmashU, also having the games be similar would hinder the power of SmashU.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Heheh, you said cross play. It amuses me because I'm doing touhou cosplay for an upcoming convention.

Earlier 3DS release would be a pleasant surprise, but releasing both at once has the "Pokemon hook," which can be really appealing to a larger market depending on how much the connectivity between the two games is pushed. Both cases have their merits and problems honestly.

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai's vauge statements about customization on the 3DS version have always made me think of Mario Golf/Tennis

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'd like it if the 3DS and WiiU shared the same gameplay and roster, which I'm sure the 3DS can handle. Maybe make the 3DS more focused with wifi battles and classic mode and remove superfluous collectibles like Trophy's and Music. (Not all of them Just Enough to Make Memory Space, Trophy's for the playable characters are a must)

If one or the other has major exclusive content Ima be mad bro. I wouldn't mind exclusive stages, music, fun facts, but if the 3DS has an edge in the roster like Megaman or something like that...I'd rather they focus on tuning down Smash Bros WiiU to make it mobile on the 3DS. Like Street Fighter 4 and Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
I'd much rather have a cross play between the 3DS & WiiU instead of having the 3DS game seem more like a spin-off until the home console version comes out,

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think they will be two different editions, with different secondary characters. Which means on the 3DS edition we will find some DS and 3DS games characters, while on the Wii U we will find some Wii and Wii U games characters. Same for the stages.
Compatiblity extimated: 0%

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think the two will be indentical in terms of gameplay and roster at the very least.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Gameplay surely, but Roster... I think Nintendo wont lose the opportunity to put in all the characters that wont fit in one single game, and make more money from the hardcorest fans that have both the consoles and will buy both the editions of the game.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Gameplay surely, but Roster... I think Nintendo wont lose the opportunity to put in all the characters that wont fit in one single game, and make more money from the hardcorest fans that have both the consoles and will buy both the editions of the game.
This is true, with all the demand for new characters splitting up the newcomers is a best bet. Someone mentioned earlier that characters that are predominantly on hand helds should make their way to smash3ds while console series get their own newcomers. This would allow nintendo to put a character like Ridley in the console version but not in 3ds which allows for a character like Fawful (not saying hes getting in) because he is only present in the hand held rpgs, or paper mario with his upcoming game on 3ds.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I was always thinking that perhaps the 3DS version has a limited roster compared to the Wii U version but it's fully customizable. Like you can decide which characters are in the 3DS' roster while every character is on the Wii U version. What I mean by fully customizable is you can switch out characters on the 3DS for ones that are on the Wii U if you own both versions. You could even switch Mario out for someone different if you wanted for example.

Perhaps the 3DS version would have the Original 12 plus a few extra characters that are unlockable (Or start with the Original 8 and make Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, and Luigi all unlockable just like the first game) as the roster for the 3DS version. And the Wii U has the full roster. And you can customize a 12-15 spot roster to whatever characters you want on the 3DS.

I've also thought of the possibility that there could be exclusive characters that you can only get access to if you own both versions. Characters that would be impossible to play as if you only got the Wii U version and not the 3DS version as well. And you unlock them by connecting your 3DS version to the Wii U one for the first time (Or if they have to be unlocked on the 3DS version, connecting your 3DS to the Wii U when you've unlocked them). Probably a longshot, but it'd be a great incentive to buy both.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't want two games that are 100% different(like that BS Memories rumor), but I don't want them to be identical either. Gameplay and roster should be the same for both versions, but things like stages, trophies, and alt. costumes could be different for each version. 1P modes could be different as well. Both versions could have BtT, while one would get Board the Platforms, and the other would get a different mode(maybe Race to the Finish?). Or maybe each version would have the same mode, but have unique courses.

I also kinda like the idea of having a customizable character that could be "trained" on the 3DS version and then uploaded for play to the Wii U version.

Top Bottom