• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crono from Chrono Trigger for Smash 5 Fighter Brainstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cetraflux

Smash Rookie
I was in the mood to brainstorm, so I spent an hour making this. Don't regret the loss of time.

Fighter: Crono "Just in Time!"

Run Speed: 8/10 Way above average, almost as fast as Sheik.
Attack speed: 7/10 Way more fast than slow attacks.
Attack lag: 8/10 Way faster than the average, almost as fast as Sheik.
Windup: Smash Attacks- 3/10 Like Sonic. Tilts- 10/10 almost instant with some knock back. Air: 9/10 fast aerials.
Damage: 10/10- Amazing.
Kill potential: 3/10 Not good. Only his smash attacks, two of his tilts, and an aerial can kill.
Weight and Size: 7/10- The size of Pit and Dark Pit, as heavy as Captain Falcon.
Knockback: 3/10- Disgusting. Some of his attacks do the same knockback always and a few of them don't knock back at all!
Aerial Game: 6/10- Don't push your luck. They do real damage and can combo, but the hitboxes are a smaller than someone like Clouds aerials.
Grabs: 5/10- Nothing extroardinary.

Beginning of match- Comes in through a time gate either saluting or kneeling.

SPECIAL MOVES
I started with this so I could bring up one of his main mechanics: TP Gain.

Neutral Special- Start drinking an ether, the longer you drink it the more TP you get, maxing out at 5 in 5 seconds. It expends it when used. It has a different effect when you reach certain numbers:
1- Wind Slash, sends out a wave of energy dealing 6% to each person it hits(goes through people). Used next time you do a side attack. (Aerial, Smash, or tilt) Does no knockback on it's own.
2- Lightning, put lightning on your sword that will deal an additional 10% when it hits and is expended. Doesn't affect the shield.
3- Cleave, your katana glows red and the next attack does twice as much damage, if it hits the sheild it halves it. If it's already halved it almost breaks it but never does from this effect alone.
4- Lightning 2.0, put lightning on your sword that will deal an additional 15% when it hits and stuns the opponent for half a second, not long enough to get hit by a smash attack.
5- Frenzy, when you do your next attack it happens 4 times in a row in succession, therefore multiplying the damage by 4 and increasing the knockback by 20%. Hits the shield with the same attack four times, so it can break the shield if used well.

Down Special- A counter where you take the hit without knockback but you slice them back right after for the same percent you just took, the side tilt damage, and whatever is on Crono's katana. Does not KO unless it is at the side near the end of the screen or the sword has Frenzy, for this special always knocks them back the same amount everytime.

Up Special- Cyclone. you whirl about, striking everyone around you for up to 10%. Decent for recovery, a little bit better than Link's up special in that sense, but does not KO, just knocks them diagonally up-words the same every time.

Side Special- A wind slash with moderate end lag that does 5% each hit and knocks people back a little bit.

ATTACK AND TILTS
Normal Attack- Thrusts with his katana, slices with it, and then thrusts it again while sending a shockwave through it, dealing up to 12%.

Side tilt- Crono slashes with his sword just like his regular attack in game doing 14%. Can kill at 140% at the edge.

Up tilt- Stabs his katana upwards almost immediately right above him for 8%. Little knock back, can combo into itself, but no guaranteed combos into smash attacks.

Down tilt- Immediately slashes the katana forward near the ground, dealing 5% and knocking the target back. Can kill at 225% at the edge.

SMASHES
Forward Smash- Slashes the katana in a wide arc in front of him, dealing 20% close, 17% mid, and 14% far. Can KO as early as 60% with rage. Very slow.

Up Smash- Thrusts the Katana Straight up, dealing 15% on impact. Can kill at 100%. Very Slow.

Down Smash- Slashes his katana in a circle around him once, dealing 14%. Can kill at 160%. High end lag, average frame speed.

AERIALS
Neutral air- does an air roll slashing around him for 9%. Little end lag.

Side air- Vertical Slashes his katana to the side for 11%. Almost no end lag.

Back air- Slashes his katana sideways dealing 14%

Up air- Slashes upwards with an electrified katana for 8% then 4% after. Almost no endlag, very little knockback,can combo into itself a few times, and stuns the target for half a second the first time you swing it in the air from the ground. You know when the target has electricity circuiting through him/her/it.

Down Air- Swings his body downwards and pushes out his palm for 3%. Can meteorspike, has a small hitbox, and moderate end lag.

GRAB AND THROWS
He grabs em by the shoulders and headbutts them for 4% to them and 1% to Crono each time.

Up throw- Shoves them upwords a little for 2%. Lead in to up air combo at low to mid %.

Down throw- Slams them into the ground for 8%. They can DI it.

Forward throw- Shoves them fowards and slashes them with the katana for 14%. The side slash is not gauranteed above 100% but there is no end lag.

Back throw- Tosses them back like dirty laundry for 4%

TAUNTS

Up Taunt- Fist bumps into the air.

Side Taunt- Jumps up a little then surges electricity through himself. Does one damage and can kill at 250%.

Down Taunt- Does a fancy sword pose.

ITEMS
FROG AND ROBO Assist Trophies!
Magus, Marle, Lucca, and Ayla Mii outfits. (If they'll ever make a magic Mii)
The Egg of Time.
The pendant that started the whole Chrono Trigger story.

STAGES
End of Time, lit up by a lamp post in the middle of the stage. Goes dark for a little if you beat it up enough.
A stage lift going through the different time zones.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Crono colors...

I'm not sure. Do you think I should have left his hair red for the prehistoric fur outfit?

As for stages, I like the idea of fighting on top of the Epoch (maybe increase it in size a little?) as it travels through various times, with appropriate hazards to go along with each timeline.

Cetraflux

Smash Rookie
Crono colors...

I'm not sure. Do you think I should have left his hair red for the prehistoric fur outfit?

As for stages, I like the idea of fighting on top of the Epoch (maybe increase it in size a little?) as it travels through various times, with appropriate hazards to go along with each timeline.
Not really, the thing with the smash 4 skins is that most of them represent the other characters: Lucas as Claus, Lucina as people like Stahl, and so on, so its better that way in my book. It's also good because it kind of reminds me of goku, who will never be put into the game for obvious reasons. The Epoch (time travel device) itself would be great for the time travel map idea.

Last edited:

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Crono is on MY wish list. And it's nice to see someone's done all the work of imagining his moves. I'd even enjoy bringing in Frog as well, but I've been told, and really agree, that Frog is a little too niche.

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
I thought Smash 4's roster was pretty much perfect but the only character left that I REALLY want to see make it into a Smash game is our boy Crono! So I'm giving full support.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If there is one character missing from the roster I wish we could have, it is Crono.

Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest and most wonderful games I have ever played. I love it to death.

It's got Dragon Ball Z art style meets like Final Fantasy VI combat but all action-y meets that great classic Super Nintendo look meets pretty much the greatest video game soundtrack ever.

It's damn near perfect. And it would fit wonderfully in Smash, especially with Crono as a playable character!!!

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Crono has always been one of my all-time favorite characters. I would love for him to show up in Smash!

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
This is a minor detail but I just notice that in all the Promo artwork Chrono is left handed. I know its weird but this makes me want him even more (especially with BOTW Link).

dynakinesis

Smash Rookie
This is pretty much the only character I have ever really wanted in Smash. I made a petition about it but naturally can't post it.

What about Final Smash? Would you opt for an area of effect like Luminaire? Or maybe incorporate a triple tech in as a nod to the triple techs in the game? Crono could hit someone with his sword, flinging them into the air, and then hit them with Luminaire or Delta Storm

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
I know this is kinda late.

But I would love for Crono to have a color referencing other Toriyama rpg characters, like giving him a color based off of Shu from Blue Dragon

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah, Delta Storm would be amazing. In order to see some Lucca Marle and Crono action.
..... yup.
Luminaire would be cool as a Robin-esque Magic charge move.

Neutral B:
Tap = Slash (similar to Cloud's neutral B)
Hold 2 second = Lightning
Hold 3.5 seconds = Lightning 2
Hold 5 seconds = Luminaire

I've wanted Crono in for so SO long now. He's my 2nd most wanted, sharing spot with a character from Dragon Quest (because there's no way both could get in, so they share the same slot, for Toriyama art appreciation and awesome RPGs)

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Crono would be so awesome. Especially if his Final Smash brought Marle, Frog, Robo, Ayla, and Magus. Bring on the nostalgia!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Magus is my number one most wanted character for Smash. I realize he has almost no chance due to not being the main character so I'll definitely support Crono. I would love to have a stage and music from the game in Smash and if I'm lucky, I might even get a Magus trophy.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
If Crono got revealed for smash, I would want the trailer to start by showing the silhouette of his hair. just for the one beautiful trolly moment. making everyone think that Goku is in the game. just for Crono to be revealed causing rage to all the Goku fans, sudden relief for those who don't want Goku, and confusion to all those unfamiliar with crono trigger "Who on earth is this dude that looks like Goku?"

okay that is a bit mean spirited. but I feel if a reveal happened there would be a lot of confusion from people xD

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
If Crono got revealed for smash, I would want the trailer to start by showing the silhouette of his hair. just for the one beautiful trolly moment. making everyone think that Goku is in the game. just for Crono to be revealed causing rage to all the Goku fans, sudden relief for those who don't want Goku, and confusion to all those unfamiliar with crono trigger "Who on earth is this dude that looks like Goku?"

okay that is a bit mean spirited. but I feel if a reveal happened there would be a lot of confusion from people xD
That would be the greatest intro in Smash History. I would binge watch reaction videos of this.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
Makes me confused on why Crono isn't clamored for. Everyone knows about Chrono Trigger, everyone agrees it's one of the greatest games of all time, a classic SNES title that was remade for the DS, and yet barely any posts here! I wish there was some momentum for him in the ballot, because with Cloud in smash, there's no reason not to have Square's biggest Nintendo RPG star for their Smash partnership.
It really seems to me like an obvious pick that could've caught on fire but didn't for some reason. I support him wholeheartedly.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Makes me confused on why Crono isn't clamored for. Everyone knows about Chrono Trigger, everyone agrees it's one of the greatest games of all time, a classic SNES title that was remade for the DS, and yet barely any posts here! I wish there was some momentum for him in the ballot, because with Cloud in smash, there's no reason not to have Square's biggest Nintendo RPG star for their Smash partnership.
It really seems to me like an obvious pick that could've caught on fire but didn't for some reason. I support him wholeheartedly.
Don't ask me, man. The guy is an SNES staple and star of a game that routinely ranks high whenever anybody makes a "greatest games ever made" list, but there just hasn't even been much talk of him.

Then again, if you were to go by nothing but Smash Bros popularity, you'd think Geno was one of the greatest game characters ever made.

It's weird.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Don't ask me, man. The guy is an SNES staple and star of a game that routinely ranks high whenever anybody makes a "greatest games ever made" list, but there just hasn't even been much talk of him.

Then again, if you were to go by nothing but Smash Bros popularity, you'd think Geno was one of the greatest game characters ever made.

It's weird.
If they replaced Cloud with Crono I honestly wouldn't mind

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
If they replaced Cloud with Crono I honestly wouldn't mind
100%. Crono was the first Square character, besides Geno, that I ever met. The game was amazing and definitely deserves more attention from Nintendo and Square. Gamers appreciate it a ton, yet you'd think it didn't exist if you asked Square and Nintendo...

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213

It's weird.
Crono is just as likely as any other character you can possibly think of. They announced Simon Belmont today, and he hasn't been relevant in years. If they can add Simon Belmont and K. Rool then anything is possible.

I feel like we should enlist Goku fans honestly... then at least they can have a character who looks like a Dragon Ball character in the game and they would all shut up about Goku lol

Oddball

Smash Lord
Crono is just as likely as any other character you can possibly think of. They announced Simon Belmont today, and he hasn't been relevant in years. If they can add Simon Belmont and K. Rool then anything is possible.

I feel like we should enlist Goku fans honestly... then at least they can have a character who looks like a Dragon Ball character in the game and they would all shut up about Goku lol
I'm not sure how you go about enlisting people for support, but if you think it will help, by all means go for it.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I would love for Crono to make it. That Direct was awesome! Could you imagine a CGI trailer like that, but with the Chrono Trigger gang? It would be so epic! Not to mention, the awesome music that would be on during it as well!

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Crono is the one "pipe dream" character I want left.

While Geno would be nice, Crono would be a revelation.

With the 3 "realistic" characters I wanted the most confirmed (Ridley > K. Rool > Simon)... damn... all I'm missing at this point is this "pipe dream." This insane choice. This LEGEND!

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Sure, I'll sign. He's one of those characters who was truly iconic of the Super Nintendo and the best things about it!

Graizen

Smash Champion
Well, support?
Hes a Nintendo exclusive from the Snes times, extremely popular.
Square Enix super friends with Nintendo now.

SucaLaMinka

Smash Rookie
Ive been saying this for so long but reddit kept deleting my posts. Sakurai needs to get Crono in and those of you that dont know who he is need to go back and play Chrono Trigger. Till to this day its hailed as one of the best rpgs ever made and its time to show Crono some love. His moveset would go as follows. Up b would be a slashing uppercut with his sword, forward b would be a cyclone, and down b he would lift his sword in the air and summon a lightning bolt similar to pikachus. and obviously his final smash would ve luminair. Cmon Sakurai im begging you get him in for all of us nostalgic gamers out there. Id love to see frog as his echo as well!

SucaLaMinka

Smash Rookie
At this point Imo Geno is a lock theres no way Sakurai is going to let him go this time around. But I dont understand all this crap about Waluigi what memorable game has he been in. Captain Falcon doesnt even get out his damn car. Nothing against Ness, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Pit, and a bunch of others but none of those games are as memorable or as iconic as Chrono Trigger. Imo Crono is a must have and would complete the character list for me.

Oddball

Smash Lord
At this point Imo Geno is a lock theres no way Sakurai is going to let him go this time around. But I dont understand all this crap about Waluigi what memorable game has he been in. Captain Falcon doesnt even get out his damn car. Nothing against Ness, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Pit, and a bunch of others but none of those games are as memorable or as iconic as Chrono Trigger. Imo Crono is a must have and would complete the character list for me.
I've honestly thought that Geno for Smash was kind of a joke that got out of hand.

With Waluigi, I'm nearly positive that it is.

I'm not saying there isn't actual fans who want those characters in, but I think a lot of their support just came from people parroting other people to fit in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This character used to be REAL popular. Weird how that changed.

Still haven’t played the game. Tell me why I should. For the record, I loved Golden Sun so am familiar with JRPGs.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I've honestly thought that Geno for Smash was kind of a joke that got out of hand.
No Geno was NOT a joke that got out of hand. We've been begging for Geno since the announcement of Brawl. McFox, an old admin here, was even a Geno fan and pointed out how people love the guy. And even though he was just a side character in a single game...wasn't Sheik also the same thing?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You know, as much of a pipe dream as Crono being playable in Ultimate may be, I'd still love to see it being realized one day.

But honestly? Any content from Chrono Trigger would be more than welcome. Perhaps Crono can be an Assist Trophy, similar to how Bomberman was made into one. I mean yeah, it would've been much better if he were playable, but the fact he's in at all is much appreciated. Even if we just get music (*PLEASE*) and trophies, I'd be more than delighted.

Smash is a celebration of gaming as a whole, and any and all franchises and characters that are featured there, no matter how important their roles might be, they're still given representation in gamins's greatest crossover. Having Crono there in any capacity would be an enormous honor for the series, and it seriously deserves that honor as a cult classic.

Either way, I hope Chrono Trigger gets some love from the Smash team. A playable appearance from Chrono would be all I'd ask for, but even an NPC role would be more than welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom