• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Croc: Smash Thread of the Gobbos

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Croc.png

"WAHEY!!! YAZOO!!! Ker splat! YAZAREE!"

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos is a platform game developed by Argonaut Games (of Star Fox fame) and published by Fox Interactive. The game was an early example of a 3D platform game, being released in North America in September 1997 for the Sony PlayStation, and later on that year for the Sega Saturn and Microsoft Windows. A Game Boy version would be released as well.

Croc is a crocodile with beady eyes and has a single fang in his mouth. He also wears a backpack on his back to carry items and other things.
Croc posesses a tail attack. He can also ground pound and break many things.

"Wait a sec... Why does this guy look so much like Yoshi!?"
Well... There's a good reason for that. At some point he was going to be Yoshi in a slightly different game. However after Nintendo rejected the idea, Argonaut decided to rework the game with an original character and make the game for the PlayStation. It would release in Japan over a year later.
The first game was enough of a success to warrant a sequel a couple of years later. Croc also had games on the Game Boy Color.
Unfortunately, after a couple of mobile game releases, this is where the series ended. Kind of a shame since I like my obscure cute platforming mascots.
From what they are, the Croc games are pretty fun from what they're are, Croc 2 on GBC being a standout for me (and that version being made by Natsume).
Also, I know his moveset would be a little too similar to Yoshi's in a way, and that Gex also has a tail attack has more moveset potential, but I made this thread just for fun. Croc's right there with Kao the Kangaroo and Yumetaro for favorite obscure platforming protagonist.

Anyways here's the support list.
Support List:
smash puffle (me)
BackseatSakurai
silenthunder

Thank you for reading and have a nice day! :)

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
There's a Croc thread now! [happy Playstation noises]

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
This game is one of those experiences I would have thought I just made up if it weren't for the fact that my brother also remembers playing this game. Glad to hear about the remake.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Do Argonaut have anything to do with Croc now? I forget who owns the rights cause I think he was sold off like, three times.
Sadly, Argonaut shut down back in 2004. The rights to Croc are apparently owned by Jez San, the former CEO, though I couldn't find a source on that.

BackseatSakurai

Smash Rookie
I fully support Croc! The team that made him are the ones responsible for the Super FX Chip if I'm not mistaken, which is what gave them the confidence to start working on that Yoshi prototype in the first place. That, plus both of his games having GBC ports, makes him a perfect WTF / odd historical tidbit sort of pick. Love it.

Top Bottom