• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique the sheik match up

Zodiac

Smash Master
I played a tournament set against saggy, a pretty technically sound sheik and won the set, But it was pretty close, I was hoping some of the better Link players could tell me what I am doing wrong in the match up haha.

Also, this was melee online, we had an extremely good connection though so critique it as you would an in person match.

Edit: It was really tempting to go fox, but for the first time I actually felt confident that I could win the match up, for about half a second I decided to switch, then changed my mind.
http://www.twitch.tv/zodiacsmash/c/2606804

Corona

Smash Apprentice
First: That was really incredible, good match.
Second: I am not a "better Link," but I'll throw my two cents in any way and I'll probably ask a question or two myself.
Third: I'm at work, but I'll get back to this. Though, very good tech chasing.

Sane.

Smash Cadet
Omg, this is the first time I've seen a Link with the same playstyle I have (only you're much better). Your grab game is great, that's my usual complaint about Links I've seen on youtube is they can go a whole match with only 1-2 grabs. And I love how you don't mess around; you get them to 80-100% then go for the kill rather than throwing them around for another 40-60% like I've seen so many Links do before. With such a solid, OOS killer not letting people get up to 140+% is [imo] Link's biggest asset.

As for complaints, let me first say I'm definitely not as good as you so feel free to ignore but the one thing I noticed is you didn't once use Link's Utilt, which is one of his great attacks for racking damage, especially when combined with a great grab game like you have. Even against decent DI you can Dthrow -> 2x Utilts (3x against bad DI) or Dthrow -> Utilt -> upB, when at low %. And at higher % it sets up nicely for juggling with Link's lovely Uair. Combined with projectiles, they seem like good ways to get them up to that 80-100% so you can go for the kill.

All in all, very great matches, keep it up! ^_^

SYickX

Smash Cadet
It really looks like you have a solid understanding of the Link v. Sheik neutral game.

I think if you can translate your ability to read the Sheik on the ground to reading her in the air, you will be able to start your next combo before she has a chance to hit the ground and grab needles (or worse, you).

Take a look at some of your short or missed combos. Think about SHbair and how that would function with jumping before it hits the ground and abandoning Sheik once your combo is done to get a bomb in hand and a boomerang in the air.

Let Link fall a little after airdodge to get a little more distance with the hookshot, there was one you missed on BF and one on Yoshi's that may have just been within reach.

Great set, the Triforce of Courage is strong within you.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I'd say more projectile use would help.

In the first game you up-b out of shield quite a bit. If that shiek was better at chain grabbing, it would have been hell for you.

You did quite a bit of up-throws, but they were not working out. I am not sure why you continued. Down throw makes them tech at low damage and you can combo out of it at higher damage. Anything shiek-weight or lighter should be down-thrown every time imo.
At something like 30-60%, you can up-tilt out of down-throw and it will hit, and at around 60-90% you can up-b out of down-throw. After that, I think down through into down-air works if they DI wrong.

On yoshi's story, when going for hookshot recovery from far away, ALWAYS air dodge straight at the stage. It is a vertical wall so any angle other than straight at it only keeps you further from it. Note that hookshotting as late as possible means you will be closer to the stage as well - what I mean is, fall until you are very low to the bottom of the screen and then do the air dodge + hookshot.

You also walked into a bunch of shield grabs imo. What you were doing wasn't bad (nair into his shield when in close range), but you kept landing in front of him. If you land behind, shiek can't do very much to you. Also, it is sometimes good you throw out the move just before hitting the ground rather than up in the air because you can hit their shield late enough that they won't be able to shield grab (as easily at least).

I think edge hop nair is the most safe. If you time it right you will hit while you are still invincible. Up air from edge hop is good if they try to jump over you to punish. Also, don't use an attack from edge hop if the opponent is far away. Throw a boomerang or pull out a bomb.

That's me being critical though. Beating a shiek is ALWAYS good. The matchup is one of the worst in the game due to ~70% chain grab. Also I'd ban FD in this matchup.

Top Bottom