• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique Super Smash Bros.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
About Ultimate's Classic mode, it doesn't feel very classic when compared to the previous variants. Melee and Smash 3DS at least kept things random for each stage, with the latter giving players the option to choose which difficulty route to take; this in return helped to make intensity 9.0 more bearable to overcome.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Smash Bros should have been underrated, becoming "universal" is the worst thing to happen to it. Definitely a case of Pandora's box.
I don't understand. Used like that, "universal" sounds like a bad word. Can you be more specific?

UserKev

Smash Champion
I don't understand. Used like that, "universal" sounds like a bad word. Can you be more specific?
I agree, universal was bad wording :chuckle: Smash is now overly popular, gigantic. Its ok for Nintendo being a proud company, advertising its newer instalments of established IP's within it, but it has been done to where, its wrong. Smash Bros shouldn't be used to save late additions as Byleth.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I agree, universal was bad wording :chuckle: Smash is now overly popular, gigantic. Its ok for Nintendo being a proud company, advertising its newer instalments of established IP's within it, but it has been done to where, its wrong. Smash Bros shouldn't be used to save late additions as Byleth.
Thank you, it's more clear. I agree with you on this promotional aspect (but let's not forget K. Rool and Ridley).

UserKev

Smash Champion
Thank you, it's more clear. I agree with you on this promotional aspect (but let's not forget K. Rool and Ridley).
No, Dude! There is a massive difference between, historically requested as K. Rool and Ridley and out the blue additions like Byleth. Ridley and K. Rool were no means "Desperate" additions when your talking about length importance to their respective roles. Byleth will probably be another technical "one off" Fire Emblem protagonist that happens per game.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
No, Dude! There is a massive difference between, historically requested as K. Rool and Ridley and out the blue additions like Byleth. Ridley and K. Rool were no means "Desperate" additions when your talking about length importance to their respective roles. Byleth will probably be another technical "one off" Fire Emblem protagonist that happens per game.
Relax, "dude". I was just saying that all choices are not obviously commercial like Byleth.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
About Ultimate's Classic mode, it doesn't feel very classic when compared to the previous variants. Melee and Smash 3DS at least kept things random for each stage, with the latter giving players the option to choose which difficulty route to take; this in return helped to make intensity 9.0 more bearable to overcome.
Considering Smash 64 "Classic" is the exact same for everyone, doesn't that mean fixed Classic runs are actually true classics?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
So you are gate keeping then?

It kinda feels dysengenous when the point was about a critique of the franchise, rather than saying that something is inherently wrong for being popular. It would make more sense if at least the problem you are talking about was more frequent and the whole integrity of the series was suffering as a result.

Also relevant: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItsPopularNowItSucks

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I’ve been thinking since October that maybe we could solve this issue by giving most of the Echo Fighters the custom moves from their original fighters. Here were some ideas I proposed:

:ultdarksamus:
:GCB:-Dense Charge Shot
:GCR::GCB:-Turbo Missile
:GCU::GCB:-Screw Rush

:ultdaisy:
:GCB:-Sleepy Toad
:GCR::GCB:-Flower Bomber

:ultlucina:
:GCB:-Dashing Assault
:GCR::GCB:-Heavy Blade
:GCU::GCB:-Dolphin Slash
:GCD::GCB:-Iai Counter

:ultchrom:
:GCB:-Tempest
:GCR::GCB:-Unyielding Blade
:GCD::GCB:-Paralyzing Counter

:ultdarkpit:
:GCU::GCB:-Wings of Icarus
:GCD::GCB:-Amplifying Orbitars
Alas, this till holds true for me…what a missed opportunity.

UserKev

Smash Champion

It kinda feels dysengenous when the point was about a critique of the franchise, rather than saying that something is inherently wrong for being popular. It would make more sense if at least the problem you are talking about was more frequent and the whole integrity of the series was suffering as a result.

Never said Smash was bad for being overly popular, bro. Smash being overly popular IS a bad thing because it opens Pandora's box. Byleth being added is lame and desperate. Nintendo shouldn't see Smash as a savior of sequels that releases after.

Smash is.. being milked, bruh. Uniquely. Its not an all godly perfect nothing can go wrong IP you may see it as embodying.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Never said Smash was bad for being overly popular, bro. Smash being overly popular IS a bad thing because it opens Pandora's box. Byleth being added is lame and desperate. Nintendo shouldn't see Smash as a savior of sequels that releases after.

Smash is.. being milked, bruh. Uniquely. Its not an all godly perfect nothing can go wrong IP you may see it as embodying.
Nobody said it’s all-perfect. Not every character is for everyone.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Has anyone seen this yet?

Also, this has probably been said before, but... why didn't they do what they did with Wario in Brawl and give (almost) every fighter 2 costume skins with 6(or, at least, 5) color palettes each?

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Has anyone seen this yet?

Also, this has probably been said before, but... why didn't they do what they did with Wario in Brawl and give (almost) every fighter 2 costume skins with 6(or, at least, 5) color palettes each?
I did see that video a few days ago. Overall, I agree with most of what it has to say, but I don't think it's as tight or as well-written as the one I linked in this thread earlier. I especially don't really like how much emphasis this person puts on the November 1st Direct, which while an underwhelming crock of **** by any metric, is less an issue with the game itself and more an issue with how Nintendo frontloaded all the hype reveals pre-release (which they always do, to be frank).

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Wario in Smash Remix is how Wario should have been done in the actual instalment.

D

Deleted member

So here's a really good video, probably the best critique of Ultimate I've seen. It sums up a lot of what I don't like about the game better than I ever can, such as the character design and the general gamefeel. I'd highly recommend it to anyone passing by this thread, as I think Smash fans and non-fans alike could learn a lot from this video. You might even find you agree with this guy on some things you didn't even realize before.

Most of this video just feels like "it's not sm4sh, so it's bad". If people like 4 so much they're willing to hate on Ultimate because it's different, then I don't see why they can't just play that game instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Most of this video just feels like "it's not sm4sh, so it's bad". If people like 4 so much they're willing to hate on Ultimate because it's different, then I don't see why they can't just play that game instead.
Well, the obvious answer there is that Smash 4 is a dead game and nobody plays it anymore because Ultimate's the next big thing. It's like if I told someone whose favorite game is Brawl to "just play Brawl." Not exactly a realistic option at this point, is it?
And regardless of this guy's opinion, I freaking hated Smash 4 by the end of its life and was glad to leave it behind, but I still find myself agreeing with most of this guy's points. There's definitely more to it than "smash 4 good, ultimate bad"; he provides actual reasons why Ultimate fails as a competitive game independent of Smash 4 such as the sloppy controls, the lack of movement, and the lame character design (which he even admits isn't an Ultimate-specific issue and one that Smash 4 suffers from even more).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, the obvious answer there is that Smash 4 is a dead game and nobody plays it anymore because Ultimate's the next big thing. It's like if I told someone whose favorite game is Brawl to "just play Brawl." Not exactly a realistic option at this point, is it?
And regardless of this guy's opinion, I freaking hated Smash 4 by the end of its life and was glad to leave it behind, but I still find myself agreeing with most of this guy's points. There's definitely more to it than "smash 4 good, ultimate bad"; he provides actual reasons why Ultimate fails as a competitive game independent of Smash 4 such as the sloppy controls, the lack of movement, and the lame character design (which he even admits isn't an Ultimate-specific issue and one that Smash 4 suffers from even more).
Being "dead" and "irrelevant" sure hasn't stopped Melee. And Brawl proves that people won't just tolerate a game for being current if it well and truly isn't well-designed competitively. So what does that say about Ultimate's current scene and it's detractors with that in mind?

Blutrausch

Smash Cadet

The link does make an exception to the notion that because something is popular, it now sucks. It could be argued that SSBU isn't as good as it could be. I do have my own opinions about SSBU, and while I'll share them, I don't wish to invest time in argumentation.

1. SSBU is popular. It outsold SSBM and even SF2. Where does this popularity stem from? I think it's mainly due to the larger roster. Watching reaction videos from people like ZeRo, ESAM and MVD, Nairo, and D1 tells me new characters is important to them. They'd ask who the new character would be. Why is this a problem? Well, it's not really a problem. I personally think this is what the series has become. Remove that and what does the series offer? I can't think of much.

2. World of Light has its criticisms. It's not really an adventure mode. It's more like SSBM's Event Match with an attempt at a story. So far, post-SSBB adventure modes have been lacking. Sure, it's a step up from SSB4's Smash Tour, but it's nothing special. I personally preferred playing against others, rather than continuing with WoL. I only bothered completing it with the true ending because I just wanted it to be completed. Beyond that, I wasn't interested. Unlike SSBB's Sub-Space Emissary, I haven't replayed WoL again. Its replay value is subpar.

3. The mechanics in SSBU feel incomplete. Hitboxes not matching animations is my biggest gripe with the game. In spite of also correcting the buffering system so that when you land after buffering in the air, you won't roll . . . well, it's still there. It's as if the developers didn't actually correct anything.

4. Online isn't that great. I don't think I have to say much regarding that.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Being "dead" and "irrelevant" sure hasn't stopped Melee. And Brawl proves that people won't just tolerate a game for being current if it well and truly isn't well-designed competitively. So what does that say about Ultimate's current scene and it's detractors with that in mind?
The key difference there is that Melee, despite all the memers joking about how it's a "dead game," still has an active playerbase. How many people are still playing Smash 4 or Brawl in the current year?
And people did try to make Brawl competitive back when it was current even in spite of its flaws and non-viability as a competitive game. Believe it or not, Brawl did have its own scene back in the day, even though we would scoff at the idea of a Brawl tournament nowadays. It may have created a divide amongst the competitive playerbase at the time, but that was mainly because it was preceded by Melee, the only Smash game to date to outlive its shelf life (other than maybe 64, if we're being generous). Even if Brawl had the mechanics of Ultimate or Smash 4, that divide likely would have existed anyway because Melee provides such a different competitive experience from any other Smash game. Yet you'll notice nobody stuck around for Brawl or Smash 4 when the new games came out because every game since Brawl has, by and large, been pretty similar mechanically, so you might as well move on to the next best thing everyone else is playing. And unless the next Smash game after Ultimate shakes things up in a big way like the jump from Melee to Brawl, that's what I'm predicting will eventually happen to Ultimate as well.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
I think what I hate about this CPU that I hated in Smash 4 is that they can just attack you with no warning, and faster than you can react. Not helped by the fact that you can’t immediately dodge out of an enemy’s combo, which is ESPECIALLY egregious with fighters who have rapid jabs.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Melee isn't dead, or irrelevant. Smash 4 pretty much is. For Glory is filled with bots because matchmaking is like Battlefield 1 servers.

I enjoyed the video about Ultimate's competitive failings because the author of it is right; some of the movement options in Ultimate are strict downgrades from Smash 4. While I contest his point on there being less playstyles available, I agree with everything else.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Melee isn't dead, or irrelevant. Smash 4 pretty much is. For Glory is filled with bots because matchmaking is like Battlefield 1 servers.

I enjoyed the video about Ultimate's competitive failings because the author of it is right; some of the movement options in Ultimate are strict downgrades from Smash 4. While I contest his point on there being less playstyles available, I agree with everything else.
Yeah, and? I could also say Focus Attacks in SFIV are a direct defensive downgrade from the parries in Third Strike, but I don't remember hearing any unanimous claims the game is worse competitively for it.

Fighting game physics are the most subjective thing in the world, and the things that people praise for one game can be the precise reasons they are hated by others. Some may find games revolving around touch-of-death combos thrilling. Other may find them lame and flow-killing. Games like Melee are praised for their technical depth, but others hate how much time you have to put just to meet a baseline. Or there are those games that are top-heavy in balance like MVC2 where the top brass of fighters have enough depth to foster a diverse meta of their own, while others who want to play anyone else resent them.

I fail to see how that video can accomplish anything meaningful. It won't change any minds of those who have been playing for a year and a half now, at most they'll go "huh", nod then shrug and keep playing, becuase they have already implicitly decided any nitpicks aren't ruining the experience for them.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I fail to see how that video can accomplish anything meaningful. It won't change any minds of those who have been playing for a year and a half now, at most they'll go "huh", nod then shrug and keep playing, becuase they have already implicitly decided any nitpicks aren't ruining the experience for them.
This is why I'm honestly starting to find posts responding to my effort in critiques increasingly annoying because my "opinion" shouldn't be treated as fact that it will effect Ultimate's sells. :glare:

Anymore responsive posts other than asking me to elaborate will get a report hammer :chuckle: My patience is tired.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
This is why I'm honestly starting to find posts responding to my effort in critiques increasingly annoying because my "opinion" shouldn't be treated as fact that it will effect Ultimate's sells. :glare:

Anymore responsive posts other than asking me to elaborate will get a report hammer :chuckle: My patience is tired.
Fine, then. Report away. You clearly have way too many problems with people who genuinely enjoy Ultimate and that some don’t care as much about the widely talked-about criticisms.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Fine, then. Report away. You clearly have way too many problems with people who genuinely enjoy Ultimate and that some don’t care as much about the widely talked-about criticisms.
Yup. And you shouldn't let my problems with Ultimate determine your enjoyment of the game. Its common sense people.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeah, and? I could also say Focus Attacks in SFIV are a direct defensive downgrade from the parries in Third Strike, but I don't remember hearing any unanimous claims the game is worse competitively for it.

Fighting game physics are the most subjective thing in the world, and the things that people praise for one game can be the precise reasons they are hated by others. Some may find games revolving around touch-of-death combos thrilling. Other may find them lame and flow-killing. Games like Melee are praised for their technical depth, but others hate how much time you have to put just to meet a baseline. Or there are those games that are top-heavy in balance like MVC2 where the top brass of fighters have enough depth to foster a diverse meta of their own, while others who want to play anyone else resent them.

See, this is one thing I'll never understand: how does a game having less creative and more restrictive movement make it more appealing for anyone? To me, it doesn't even make the game more accessible, it just makes it less creative and more restrictive in how you can express yourself while playing it. (Also to your first point, I'm pretty sure there are people who still play Third Strike and prefer it to future Street Fighters as a competitive game. They just aren't the majority, obviously.)

As for your latter remark, I find that to be overly reductive and ignorant of the people who have been convinced by the video on several things. Scroll down in the comments a bit and you'll find them. I kind of see where you're coming from since at this point, you're either with the majority who like Smash Ultimate or you aren't (as this thread has demonstrated), but at the same time, it displays a disturbing lack of faith in the art of persuasion as a whole. Just because you weren't convinced doesn't mean no one will be.

Last edited:

Blutrausch

Smash Cadet
The video didn't offer any new criticism. Sure, some may acknowledge the flaws and continue playing because the flaws don't ruin the game for them. Then, of course, playing for over a year, especially if you're well-known or partnered with a sponsor is too much to just call it quits and move onto something else.

One of my reasons I kept playing SSBU was because I invested +900 hours into the game. I thought it would be ridiculous to drop the game. Yet, if I continued in spite of the issues I had with the game, I would only worsen the situation. When one invests a lot of time into something, letting it go becomes difficult. It becomes a vicious cycle. Making it your "career" switches your motive from having fun to becoming a necessary chore.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
See, this is one thing I'll never understand: how does a game having less creative and more restrictive movement make it more appealing for anyone? To me, it doesn't even make the game more accessible, it just makes it less creative and more restrictive in how you can play it. (Also to your first point, I'm pretty sure there are people who still play Third Strike and prefer it to future Street Fighters as a competitive game. They just aren't the majority, obviously.)
Why don't you ask the tourney organizers who restrict item and stage use? Are they not restricting you from showing your skill in exploiting stage hazards or how well you can zip around Temple and Great Cave Offensive with Sonic?

Rules, both the explicit and implicit kind create a structured environment that players can practice and test their skills in. What you may see as stifling, others see as letting them focus on the aspects of fighting games they enjoy most, like how competitive Smash does to minimize any outside influence and make matches solely based on player interaction. Not everyone agrees with this way of playing of course, otherwise the "no items Fox only" meme wouldn't exist. In fact, can you name a single fighting game that has never had anyone criticize an aspect of it's gameplay?

The video didn't offer any new criticism. Sure, some may acknowledge the flaws and continue playing because the flaws don't ruin the game for them. Then, of course, playing for over a year, especially if you're well-known or partnered with a sponsor is too much to just call it quits and move onto something else.

One of my reasons I kept playing SSBU was because I invested +900 hours into the game. I thought it would be ridiculous to drop the game. Yet, if I continued in spite of the issues I had with the game, I would only worsen the situation. When one invests a lot of time into something, letting it go becomes difficult. It becomes a vicious cycle. Making it your "career" switches your motive from having fun to becoming a necessary chore.
I can see what you're getting at for competitive players, even if it's somewhat weaker in Smash's regard due to NIntendo not making serious sponshorship efforts...

But for anyone else? I don't see how they can sink 900+ hours in something that actively do not enjoy. Implying that continuing to play only perpetuates flaws is also weird, because if you really believe that then you wouldn't be able to play any game with any flaws whatsoever, even subjective. And at the end of the day, if your goal is to send a message ot devs, it's too late to do anything besides voice complaints once you've bought the game. They can't tell, or care, what you do with a game after you buy it, even if it was only to do something like throw it in a fire.

Investing a lot in a game you tire of only makes you more reluctant to sell or trade it away, not playing it again in the long term in my experience.

Blutrausch

Smash Cadet
I can see what you're getting at for competitive players, even if it's somewhat weaker in Smash's regard due to NIntendo not making serious sponshorship efforts...

But for anyone else? I don't see how they can sink 900+ hours in something that actively do not enjoy. Implying that continuing to play only perpetuates flaws is also weird, because if you really believe that then you wouldn't be able to play any game with any flaws whatsoever, even subjective. And at the end of the day, if your goal is to send a message ot devs, it's too late to do anything besides voice complaints once you've bought the game. They can't tell, or care, what you do with a game after you buy it, even if it was only to do something like throw it in a fire.

Investing a lot in a game you tire of only makes you more reluctant to sell or trade it away, not playing it again in the long term in my experience.
I'm not referring to Nintendo and sponsorship. There are others who sponsor professional players. (Professional here simply means getting paid, as opposed to amateur, or someone who doesn't get paid.) You can dislike something and spend a lot of hours on it. See ZeRo, who admitted back in SSB4 that he actually didn't like the game. He continued because that was his source of income, even though that income was less than what you could make working at McDonald's. I gave SSBU a year. It was something I told myself because I waited for potential corrections from patches. I didn't say playing perpetuates flaws. Rather, if you're dissatisfied with something like SSBU and you're aware of the flaws, continuing to play isn't a wise decision. Yet, for me, I continued playing because I had spent so many hours. To quit would mean those hours I spent could have been spent on something else. That's all.

Sometimes flaws are subjective. I don't like having a large roster. I don't like GSP. Those are subjective. Sometimes flaws can be objective, such as the buffering system in SSBU, or the tripping mechanic in SSBB. Intent in a design doesn't necessarily mean it's not flawed, after all. Surprisingly, Nintendo will patch things immediately. I think it's more difficult to patch a game like SSBU because there are so many people who have different opinions and sometimes people can have conflicting requests or complaints. In the case of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Nintendo has patched the game at least three times in less than a month. One complaint was the amount of eggs present during the Bunny Day event. Nintendo made a patch to reduce the number of eggs so people could catch more fish or collecting building material.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The link does make an exception to the notion that because something is popular, it now sucks. It could be argued that SSBU isn't as good as it could be. I do have my own opinions about SSBU, and while I'll share them, I don't wish to invest time in argumentation.

1. SSBU is popular. It outsold SSBM and even SF2. Where does this popularity stem from? I think it's mainly due to the larger roster. Watching reaction videos from people like ZeRo, ESAM and MVD, Nairo, and D1 tells me new characters is important to them. They'd ask who the new character would be. Why is this a problem? Well, it's not really a problem. I personally think this is what the series has become. Remove that and what does the series offer? I can't think of much.

2. World of Light has its criticisms. It's not really an adventure mode. It's more like SSBM's Event Match with an attempt at a story. So far, post-SSBB adventure modes have been lacking. Sure, it's a step up from SSB4's Smash Tour, but it's nothing special. I personally preferred playing against others, rather than continuing with WoL. I only bothered completing it with the true ending because I just wanted it to be completed. Beyond that, I wasn't interested. Unlike SSBB's Sub-Space Emissary, I haven't replayed WoL again. Its replay value is subpar.

3. The mechanics in SSBU feel incomplete. Hitboxes not matching animations is my biggest gripe with the game. In spite of also correcting the buffering system so that when you land after buffering in the air, you won't roll . . . well, it's still there. It's as if the developers didn't actually correct anything.

4. Online isn't that great. I don't think I have to say much regarding that.
Of course, that link goes on to provide examples on how popularity can affect a work in different ways. Not every example is black and white, and this goes to show that popularity doesn't inherintly make a product worse nor better. I've yet to see a good reason why Ultimate has suffered because of it, and while it can always be argued that it can be better, what can't be? Some things don't turn up exactly as we want them to. I want to say a couple of things as well in response:

1. If we remove the reaction videos we are left with a cast of video game icons, big and small, on a title with gameplay good enough to stand on its own, at least that's what I can think of it. I certainly wouldn't oversimplify the franchise to the mere concept of people reacting to character reveals.

2. Like everything else, WoL isn't exempt of criticism. I personally liked replaying it but a lot of this stuff is subjective so it would be pointless for me to say more.

3. They do need to fix the buffering system by the time they are done supporting this game. I don't however see a constant issue in hitbox detection from my personal experiences. In Brawl, I vividly recall Snake having invisible hitboxes in Brawl and I also remember the phantom hits in Melee which were dumb but I haven't encountered the same kind of jank in this game. I've seen some tourney matches where some times weird stuff happens but it doesn't look like a widespread issue that is easy to replicate. Others might have experienced something different from me though.

4. True. But it's considerably better than it was upon release thanks to updates at least from my experience. When I go online I get my rules 90% of the time; when I don't it is usually something reasonable like playing on FD instead of BF and two stocks instead of three. Only once in a blue moon the game throws me into a match with items or such. I also have very little lag because I got a connection of 50 Megas with fiber optic cable.
Of course, other people may have recurring problems due to several factors like the region they are in.

Smash includes many icons from Nintendo games and the industry in general. It is only natural that that it has the attention it has now. How do you even control something like that? For some works, popularity may even come by accident.

And how is Nintendo using Smash as a savior of sequels? I don't know what you mean by that. However, I would argue that Smash's popularity can work in favor of certain franchises. In the past, it helped bring attention to Fire Emblem before it finally came to the west. Dormant franchises that haven't had a game in a long time like F-Zero, Mother and Ice Climber also get exposure from it. This actually worked for Kid Icarus as it got a new game using the character appearances that were established in Brawl.

And of course it's being milked. Selling games is a business, if there is a solid hit in the market that brings in the numbers they are going to use it to their advantage. This isn't always detrimental as you imply because it depends on how you do it, and history has given us examples of how this can be done in the right way or the wrong way. Or would you needlessly kill a product just for the sake of some vague sentiment?

I'm just still unconvinced on how Smash's popularity has been bad for it in recent years. I say that the series's popularity has had a hand in keeping it strong for years. You may use Byleth as an example of blatant advertisement, but that's not really the norm. For every Byleth and Corring, we've gotten a Megaman, K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo & Kazooe.

Its not an all godly perfect nothing can go wrong IP you may see it as embodying.
Nobody in this thread has ever implied that. Heck, I doubt that there is a single person who likes Smash that genuinely thinks that it can't do wrong. Smash isn't perfect. And that's the one thing I can wholeheartedly agree with you on.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Tour stages are important variety but are becoming more distractively purposeless. They are more a thing of the past, honestly.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
About the Classic Mode thing, it's kind of misleading as is. It's just called Simple Mode in Japan(Melee and onward at least). Classic seems to be just a reasonable translation since it's the first Single Player Mode. And they're all clearly based upon the first game's.

I do miss RNG too. Even Smash 64 had a tiny bit. Your partners, the order of the Polygons(though this didn't matter for a bonus), the order of the Kirby and Yoshi Team(which did have bonuses). I definitely prefer Ultimate's over Brawl's since that was extremely long and it only repeated Target Smash!! twice(with only a generic version, and then either the same one or a higher TS!! level). That would've been a good spot to put the Grab The Trophies. Part of it stemmed from trying to loosely represent all the series to some degree. Every franchise(symbol-wise) generally had their own stage. Very few were loosely grouped together too. They could've maybe put some one-character franchises together similar to Yoshi and Donkey Kong to reduce its size.

Ultimate's does feel remotely better cause it's not extremely long. And each specific character has their own setup, so it does feel unique. I wouldn't have minded more, but my only complaint is the credits are a slog to go through. It takes forever to get through it cause all you're doing is button mashing. It would've been better to just have two buttons(one to slowly fire lasers like normal, and an auto-fire button) so you can do it with speed or do it with more clear accuracy. The auto-fire wouldn't be as fast, meaning you wouldn't easily get everything, which is okay.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Something I dislike about the buffer system is it screws over ledge interactions. For starters, when player X grabs a ledge after player Y, player Y jumps off the ledge away from the stage. Ignoring the timing on this (since two players can grab a ledge and neither are sent flying), it means if you buffered a roll or get-up attack, it changes into an air dodge or aerial attack. This can really screw over characters like Little Mac since if they are not careful it could mean they don't get back to stage. You also don't have invincibility when you grab the ledge again, setting you up perfectly for a ledge trap.

TL;DR buffer mechanic is too long.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Some critiques about the victory themes:

• I wish :ultdoc: had an orchestral remix of his games’ victory theme
  • If the Zelda victory theme had to be remixed in Ultimate, I wish we could’ve at least gotten a rock-jazz remix closer to 64 and Melee; save for :ultlink:, who I wish got a snippet of BOTW’s main theme
  • I wish :ultkirby::ultkingdedede: got a remixes victory theme closer to how the victory theme is in the games. Likewise, I wish :ultmetaknight: got a rock-jazz remix of Meta Knight’s Revenge
  • I wish :ultwolf: got a remix of Star Wolf’s theme
  • I wish :ultpokemontrainer: got a remix of the Trainer battle victory theme
  • I wish :ultness::ultlucas: got :ultness:‘s Melee victory theme back
  • I wish :ultsonic: had Mania’s victory theme (on a separate note, if Shadow got in as a fighter, he should totally bring his game’s victory theme, too)
  • I wish :ultken: got SUPER Street Fighter II’s victory theme
  • I wish :ulthero:‘s felt more like a conclusion to the battle
  • Generally speaking, a lot of old victory themes (namely :ultyoshi: and :ulticeclimbers:) are sped up for no reason

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I love this game overall, but here are a couple things that I think can improve:

Online (I’m beating a dead horse with this one): My main concerns with online are not being able to switch characters between matches and being unable to play 1v1 or FFA stock tournaments all the time.

WoL: I like WoL as an adventure mode, but it could be shortened a little bit (I’m fine without the platformer aspect of Melee’s/Brawl‘s adventure modes).

Additional things that would be nice to have but not deal breakers since they’re not in:
Being able to use random for my mii and a way to toggle characters from random
4 player squad strike and more “lives” in it
A way to not use the touchscreen in handheld mode for stage builder

Last edited:
Top Bottom