• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Young Link

Jimmology

Smash Cadet
I was at my weekly this weekend and got to play two of some really good players in my town (JMOAN being number #1 in my town) on stream. I downloaded the stream and made it into a video hoping to get some feedback on stuff I was doing wrong, things I could do better, bad habits etc. I tried to keep my cool but I was very nervous during these sets so there is a lot of cringe worthy things in these games. If anyone could take the time to watch this and be as critical as possible I would be really grateful. Thanks!
Jimmology vs. BillyBoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T86O-UW6zNw
Jimmology vs. JMOAN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzxW_UH8jMs

Able

Smash Rookie
Hey, just a player on his way to improvement but. I watched your set with JMOAN first, because you specified the level of his play in your post and, the nerves were there. It's alright friend, you were doing good out there. I like your YLink's movement, it's very technical. I feel that, after only watching first game of your other set, you were on fire also, you could use a bit more wavelands in your play. Also, that one bomb to boomer retreat in the first 3 minutes of the Billyboy set, godlike man. I feel like your dashdance movement there, even though their caliber of play is different, would've helped a bit more against JMOAN. He kept trying to read your techs on platform, and you made him guess wrong twice. I feel when he was recovering, except for the ledgehop nair to set him up to take that stock, clever btw, you could've just grabbed ledge and mentally shut off one of his options. Your bomb placement is super also, I took notes. We play the same color YL too man, I expect greatness from you. My apologies for the long post, I felt inspired by your play.

Jimmology

Smash Cadet
Hey, just a player on his way to improvement but. I watched your set with JMOAN first, because you specified the level of his play in your post and, the nerves were there. It's alright friend, you were doing good out there. I like your YLink's movement, it's very technical. I feel that, after only watching first game of your other set, you were on fire also, you could use a bit more wavelands in your play. Also, that one bomb to boomer retreat in the first 3 minutes of the Billyboy set, godlike man. I feel like your dashdance movement there, even though their caliber of play is different, would've helped a bit more against JMOAN. He kept trying to read your techs on platform, and you made him guess wrong twice. I feel when he was recovering, except for the ledgehop nair to set him up to take that stock, clever btw, you could've just grabbed ledge and mentally shut off one of his options. Your bomb placement is super also, I took notes. We play the same color YL too man, I expect greatness from you. My apologies for the long post, I felt inspired by your play.
Thanks a lot man reading your comment was really humbling. I made a goal for myself that if I beat JMOAN i'll go to smashconn and once classes end I plan on going to Xanadu a few times and I'll for sure be repping Young Link the whole time.

ultrament2

Smash Cadet
NNID
ultrament2
You seem to have a hard time killing, by judge of your second video. As well, just believe in yourself. You go further by having confidence rather than being nervous.

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
When you get a point blank boomerang hit like you did at 1:20 (about) milk everything you can from that! The hitstun is ridiculous- you get to follow up with almost any aerial of your choosing!

Also, if you're near JMOAN, that means you must be somewhat close to D20- hit him up if you can!

Last edited:

Jimmology

Smash Cadet
When you get a point blank boomerang hit like you did at 1:20 (about) milk everything you can from that! The hitstun is ridiculous- you get to follow up with almost any aerial of your choosing!

Also, if you're near JMOAN, that means you must be somewhat close to D20- hit him up if you can!
Me and D20 live in the same town and play all the time!

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
Ill try to give some really specific tips in certain situations;

@ Jimmology Jimmology vs JMOAN;

- in general, your combos out of projectile hits (e.g bomb --> nair) were very consistent, so good job :)
- when youre recovering you arent making the most of YLs ridiculous ledge magnet, and youre choosing to go onstage and get punished (e.g 1:25, 2:39 and 2:31) (and at 2:31 if you grabbed the edge you couldve done ledge-hop nair to edgeugard)
- more nair OoS or maybe bomb-drop OoS to counter his nair shine pressure (here)
- after cross-up nairs you may want to dash away and bait an OoS option (then punish) or bair/f-tilt his shield (here is a good example of when you couldve done it)
- you also couldve punished much harder when he is above you on a platform by abusing Uair (like here, when he goes to the top platform and when he whiffs the Usmash a few seconds later)
- the angle at 1:30 was sick, but you shouldve done your up-b a bit earlier :p

considered youre playing the matchup YL vs Fox, against the best player in your town and on stream, you should be really happy with how you did! Awesome stuff Jimmology :)

@ Jimmology Jimmology vs BillyBoy;

- Ledgehop zair is generally a horrible option so i wouldn't rely on it or use it whatsoever
- awesome use of bomb throw OoS here and here. :)
- the stock at 1:15 was really solid. platform movement, good projectile placement and edgeguard.
- yet another awesome angle :)
- 4:08 was a good opportunity for a grab (which is rare for YL) so try to recognise when he expects an aerial, and you can often get a grab when they sit in shield in front of you like that.
- great awareness and recovery at 6:32
- at 7:48 the ideal edgeguard probably was to quickly grab edge (probably run-off up-b) and then ledgehop nair or wall jump nair (thanks @Rosy)

General tips
- maybe a bit too much spotdodge/rolls and not enough buffered nair OoS
- you gotta sdi those uairs
- try to incorporate some fade-away fairs

Keep it up :)

(and please excuse the sh**tonne of timestamps) :p

Last edited:

kaptinkillem

Smash Cadet
A few thing I notice just watching the first match, you seem to pull bombs too close to the opponent quite a bit, you even occasionally sh into your opponent in close quarters and bomb pull. You didn't really get punished for it but something to keep an eye on. You also seem to down smash after every spot dodge, Young Link does have a really good spot doge, but you are a bit to predictable with it , you often spot doge the down smash every time you nair their shield. Try to mix up when you spot doge and what option you choose out of it. Overall you look super solid, your movement is pretty good. I suggest you watch some of axes videos and just watch how he uses his moves(mostly nair) in neutral so you don't feel the need to always have a bomb in your hand. Keep repping kid link tho :)

Top Bottom