• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Young Link Please

.toasty

Smash Cadet
Hey, I'm a fairly new Young Link player looking for a bit of advice, so I recorded a few matches with a local friend, and am hoping to get some good advice on my bad play. Thank you in advance.

KendallJackson

Smash Rookie
I watched the first two matches, so I'm basing what I say off of that.

Young Link's down air is usually not a good approach option. You use it far too much. It does seem to work on your friend somewhat, but it won't work on more skilled players. Also, you miss a lot of L-cancels. You need to L-cancel all of Young Link's aerials to utilize his speed; it's one of his attributes, so you need to make full use of it.

When playing Falco, you need to make sure that you edge guard that fool well and get the kill. Falco is way better in the neutral game than Young Link, so you need to make the most of every opportunity when he is off the stage. Try grabbing the edge and then coming up with a neutral air (grab edge, press down on control stick, immediately double jump and nair back onto the stage). The back of the hitbox will clip your opponent and you can use ledge invincibility frames if you time it right.

The boomerang. Don't throw the boomerang when Falco (or any opponent) is in your face. It's somewhat laggy and you will get punished. A good way to use boomerangs is to cut off options. For instance, if you have an opponent that likes to approach from the air, angle your boomerang up so they can't do that, and if they do, you get to punish them. But make sure that there is distance between you and your opponent when you throw it.

Use more shffl'd (short hop fast fall L-cancel'd) neutral airs. It's fast, stays out for a while, and has a pretty big hitbox. It's one of Young Link's few good approach options.

I'm not a Young Link main, so take what I say with a grain of salt. However, I do play him occasionally, and I really enjoy seeing good Young Links (Check out the player Axe on youtube). Young Link is a really cool character, so stick with him and you'll have a lot of fun. Good luck and I hope the advice is helpful.

Here is a video of Axe wrecking with Young Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzfr9iepFgQ

.toasty

Smash Cadet
Thanks, I knew a response would eventually surface, and don't worry about your expertise, I am sure you have more experience than me anyhow.

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
So I think you should learn Young Links tech to help you become a better overall player.

I recently made a Young Link trial video on youtube, you should check it out.

Just type it "Young Link trial video".

Hope it helps.

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
Practice movement. Practice a lot and a lot of movement.

I'm sure you know who Amsa is.
/watch?v=UufV85QoCVE

This video is what you should be practicing. Different ways of getting to the ledge, mixing up your platform movement, your options from the ledge, etc.

(That's a youtube link, in case you couldn't tell. Sorry, smashboards won't let me post the full link. You can google "The Red Essence" to find it.)

If you have any questions about what I've said feel free to ask!

P.S.- That edgeguard at 6:20 was freaking hilarious, even if it didn't work

Last edited:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
Young Link is a lower-tier character with heavy defensive capability; because of this, everything about his game is positioning and mindgames. The aMSa video, though impressive, isn't something you really have to look to be. With Young Link, you need really good wavelands and an understanding of the mixup options you will often have to use (such as hookshot --> walljump shenanigans and SH bair --> double jump).

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
You misunderstood the point of me showing him the video. For example, from 18:15 to 18:21, you can see that toasty is stuck on the top two platforms for a while and clearly trying to get back down. Practicing random movement (and things like shield drops, which is also in the video) helps you with situations like that.

Everything you said was technically correct though.

Noodles n' stuff

Smash Rookie
I may be late but.... Make sure you don't stand around and pull on your bombs it will give your opponent a free punish. Utilize Young Links speed and short hop to use you boomerangs.

Top Bottom