• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my super duper mario.

Payne

Smash Apprentice
I'm not one to give advice so i'm not gonna xD but i just wanted to say your a good mario main keep it up :D

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Why make a thread when you can just post your videos in the video thread. *smh* *Walks away*
This thread should be lock by now.

steep

Smash Lord
Really good Mario, first off!!
A couple things on your opponents:

The DK needs to learn to space you a little better and then it will be a much harder fight for you. :) Moar ftilt and dtilt, and bair!

That Peach player should learn to short hop float right about Mario's head height and use her dair.... Mario has very few options in that situation. They should watch Rowan play. He has a very good anti-Mario playstyle.

Alright enough critiquing them! Lol Now for you:

There are times when you seemed to just be throwing out attacks for no reason, and that can be good for mindgames and for keeping a rhythm, but it also extends your hurtboxes and can open you up to big punishes from a wary opponent.

In that last game, I noticed you seem to instantly use your dj a lot. This can be nice for getting to a good height for fireballs, but you gotta be careful because if you get hit off, you have no second jump and a mediocre recovery.... ;)

You have really good fundamental skill (spacing, teching/punishing on reaction etc) and you have a very nice Mario. That was just my advice.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Like Steep said, your fundamentals are there, which is awesome.

A few Mario-specific things you can try out that may help out your game:
  • When an opponent is on a platform above you, Dair them. SH Dair if you can, but Dair them....it's great shield pressure and after the attack ends, you have a ton of pretty safe mix-up options. Dair -> DJ Nair is extremely fast and pretty safe, for example, and Dair -> DJ Uair combos at low percentages. Go ahead and give that a try.
  • After you land a SHBair on a grounded opponent (at low percentages), resist the urge to throw out another aerial before you land. It doesn't really work most of the time since after getting hit, they'll just shield or roll away or do something defensive. Try SH Bair, then fastfalling to a grab...That, or a jab...anything but SHBair -> Uair/Nair/Bair.
  • Learn some jab mix-ups! They can be extremely useful for gaining damage, conditioning the opponent, or killing. Boss does this really well in this video.
  • I noticed in your match vs DK, you did DJ -> Cape to try to gimp. Unless completely necessary, try not to ever do this. If they get to the ledge first, or tap you in the process of getting to the ledge, all you have left to recover is upB, and you're too low to fireball for protection.
  • I like your fireball control and how well you use it to maneuver. Keep doing that, lol
  • UpB OOS ***** Peach's approaches. UpB in general ***** Peach. Do not share this information...they think it's +2 for them.

Umm....that's all I've got. Very solid Mario.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The DK needs to learn to space you a little better and then it will be a much harder fight for you. :) Moar ftilt and dtilt, and bair!
Pshaw, Mario owns DK. If you don't realize how good crouching, F-smash, and DA are against Donkey Kong, you don't know the matchup. I mean he can still beat you because making a mistake against him sucks, but for real. Mario owns DK.

That Peach player should learn to short hop float right about Mario's head height and use her dair.... Mario has very few options in that situation. They should watch Rowan play. He has a very good anti-Mario playstyle.
Naw, Mario's perfectly fine against Peach. I don't know what your basic spacing style is, but I never really have trouble playing spacing wars against Peach. Her ground game at times is kinda gay to deal with and you can't be stupid around her F-air, but everything else is totally manageable, and you can both juggle her really well and kill her earlier than she can kill you.

Top Bottom