• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Snake

HeyItsRappy

Smash Rookie
Hey guys. I've been maining Snake for roughly around 3 months (Previous main used to be Luigi) and I wanted to know what I do right and what I do wrong. I have been playing PM for roughly 6 months and I keep trying to learn what I can about this game. I went to a tournament and played on stream. I won the game but I felt like I could've done way better than I should have. I'm gonna link a video and if possible can someone tell me what I do wrong and what I do right and how can I improve my gameplay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt2m86CrgHs

P.S. 5:54 for some Snake swag points.

BND

Smash Apprentice
You have no idea how to edgeguard or punish at all. Watch some more videos and get your fundamentals down.
Not sure if watching more videos would help with that; most snakes have a subpar edgeguard game, and the punish games of most Snakes isn't that fabulous either.

@ H HeyItsRappy , I'll have to agree that your punish game wasn't particularly polished. If you fish around the forums a bit, particularly the posts in the first page, you'll find brief tidbits on some of the more interesting combo moves, namely down air and forward tilt. The current meta uses a lot of those for comboing.
As for edgeguarding, if you're going to set up a wall on the stage, cover more options. Most of the time you got into an edgeguard situation, you dumped a C4 over a mine. If you blow it up it'll deal a hefty amount of damage and maybe a followup, but if it misses, you get nothing at all. On the other hand, if one of the two hit, you get some damage and the opportunity to follow it up. If it's twice as likely that you'll hit the other guy with an explosive, it's twice as likely that you can get a followup = more damage.

I can't quite pinpoint anything wrong with your playstyle, since it's...somewhat all over the place. For the time being, you might be better off asking specific questions for the time being and fix things bit by bit.

HeyItsRappy

Smash Rookie
You have no idea how to edgeguard or punish at all. Watch some more videos and get your fundamentals down.
Yeah man still trying to learn this guy thanks for the input though. Those 2 mechanics right there are the ones I typically struggle with the most. What should I exactly be doing when I'm on those situations?

Edit: More specifically the punish game, since that's what Snake thrives off of the most. :)

Last edited:

HeyItsRappy

Smash Rookie
Not sure if watching more videos would help with that; most snakes have a subpar edgeguard game, and the punish games of most Snakes isn't that fabulous either.

@ H HeyItsRappy , I'll have to agree that your punish game wasn't particularly polished. If you fish around the forums a bit, particularly the posts in the first page, you'll find brief tidbits on some of the more interesting combo moves, namely down air and forward tilt. The current meta uses a lot of those for comboing.
As for edgeguarding, if you're going to set up a wall on the stage, cover more options. Most of the time you got into an edgeguard situation, you dumped a C4 over a mine. If you blow it up it'll deal a hefty amount of damage and maybe a followup, but if it misses, you get nothing at all. On the other hand, if one of the two hit, you get some damage and the opportunity to follow it up. If it's twice as likely that you'll hit the other guy with an explosive, it's twice as likely that you can get a followup = more damage.

I can't quite pinpoint anything wrong with your playstyle, since it's...somewhat all over the place. For the time being, you might be better off asking specific questions for the time being and fix things bit by bit.
Thanks for the input man helps a lot! So basically I should just decrease the amount of options that my opponent has for getting back into the stage right?

BND

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the input man helps a lot! So basically I should just decrease the amount of options that my opponent has for getting back into the stage right?
That's more or less the basics of edgeguarding. That is, if you're doing post-ledgehang edgeguarding (which isn't quite edgeguarding, since you've already given away the edge), the goal is to make sure that they can't actually get back onto the stage.

There are several ways to accomplish this; personally I'd try to experiment and see which method works best for you. Cisyphus might have an input on this, since seems to emphasize edgeguarding more than I do (I have a preference of not killing off of the sides)

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
A lot of the punish game is learning combo trees and which moves to use for what purposes. Ivysaur isn't a great example for this given how difficult she is to combo in general, but you certainly need to get C4s on your opponents, and that's usually easiest at lower percents off of u-throw. The forum does offer a lot of resources for comprehending the various combo trees, and it's easiest to break them up into a floaty / fast-faller spectrum and understanding where each character lies on that spectrum: Ivysaur is far to the floaty end and thus doesn't have a ton of combo potential outside of low-knockback moves like down air, nair, cypher, and f-tilt. The benefit there is that they die extremely early to upward KO moves (which are most of Snake's KO options). Fast fallers meanwhile get wrecked but u-throw, u-tilt, and all the other launching moves Snake has. For example, the basic combo I go for on Fox at 0% is to u-throw into jab (they usually try to tech and end up sitting in shield instead since jab doesn't cause tumble, meaning they can't tech it) allowing me to regrab, then I'll u-throw again into u-tilt (which starts to be an option at ~25%), which leads into a guaranteed regrab into a chain grab that gets them up to 80% easily. At that point, all I need is a C4 (easy enough to get off of the throw) and one more win in the neutral game (read as: one more punish opportunity) to launch them into a KO via C4. Sometimes you can even get a C4 into techchase regrab immediately into u-throw -> u-air -> C4, or you can sneak in a nair or d-air to work the same way as the jab at the start of the combo to prevent their tech and mix up their reaction. This same string works on Falcon, Falco, Wolf, Roy, and Zero Suit Samus to varying degrees as well. It's all character specific, but I believe Snake has the tools to really mess up any character enough for C4 to KO them.

Edgeguarding is really important against Ivysaur, though, considering her recovery is pretty bad overall. The main boon that Ivysaur has is that she can throw out really quick, safe hitboxes to challenge ledgehoggers, so you've got to scope all of that out beforehand. The reason that's important is that Ivysaur's UpB only has two uses and Ivysaur's only other recovery option is a single down air stall and air dodge. If you're also occupying ledge while Ivysaur is trying to Up B tether, the Ivysaur is stuck doing a super laggy getup animation (granted they still have the option of fading forward or fading back). The big deal here is two-fold:
- If they fade forward, they land on stage with substantial landing lag, meaning you can get a free C4 OR a free tranq, assuming you already have the C4 or have the time to both stick and launch the Ivysaur—depends slightly on their mashing but also on their percentage.
- Alternatively, if they're at KO percent and/or have a C4 on them, you can also place a mine to cover the most inward fade, as the most outward fade forces them to regrab ledge (which they can't do if you ledgehog them). This puts them in a horrible position given that you can freely force them into the mine, which means you can force the KO.

This is "covering the options" as BND said, and I do have to disclaim that I am simplifying the scenario greatly, and Ivysaur surely is a lot more versatile than just that, but other characters like Sheik and Falcon and easily die off of a single back throw off stage simply due to Snake's great edgeguarding capabilities. Spacies additionally get ruined by an unexpected back throw since you can quickly wavedash to ledge into invincible ledgehop/drop back air to catch their side-b or up B. Cypher also beats out their side-b's and links into back air, which is a really flashy but completely guaranteed edgeguard if you get the read on it. Add in the opportunity to C4 them into a forward air or back air and edgeguarding spacies becomes little more than pushing them until they're just too far to return. I'm sure there's also something to be said of utilizing C4 on the ledge to stuff sweetspot attempts (possibly using your shield to extend the hitbox duration via hitlag). Something like C4 drop into shield pivot FH back air OOS is in my brain right now.

tl;dr version: this character is hard. You need to study a lot if you want to succeed with him without having a genuinely concrete understanding of the game as a whole (i.e. great fundamentals leading to a superior neutral game à la Professor Pro or Messi).

The benefit right now is that many people (Prof, Messi, Myself, BND, Rolex, etc.) provide the resources to accelerate the process somewhat, either through videos or data collection or experimentation. Keep an eye on what everyone here is doing and you'll do well, I think. Ask questions about any specific thing that confuses or intrigues you during your research, and be sure to pursue it to the fullest as well. I'm just now finding out the benefits of u-air and back air's weak hitboxes as methods of extending combos, and it's taking me forever to acclimate to proper follow-ups out of Cypher, just to name a few examples.

Last edited:

HeyItsRappy

Smash Rookie
A lot of the punish game is learning combo trees and which moves to use for what purposes. Ivysaur isn't a great example for this given how difficult she is to combo in general, but you certainly need to get C4s on your opponents, and that's usually easiest at lower percents off of u-throw. The forum does offer a lot of resources for comprehending the various combo trees, and it's easiest to break them up into a floaty / fast-faller spectrum and understanding where each character lies on that spectrum: Ivysaur is far to the floaty end and thus doesn't have a ton of combo potential outside of low-knockback moves like down air, nair, cypher, and f-tilt. The benefit there is that they die extremely early to upward KO moves (which are most of Snake's KO options). Fast fallers meanwhile get wrecked but u-throw, u-tilt, and all the other launching moves Snake has. For example, the basic combo I go for on Fox at 0% is to u-throw into jab (they usually try to tech and end up sitting in shield instead since jab doesn't cause tumble, meaning they can't tech it) allowing me to regrab, then I'll u-throw again into u-tilt (which starts to be an option at ~25%), which leads into a guaranteed regrab into a chain grab that gets them up to 80% easily. At that point, all I need is a C4 (easy enough to get off of the throw) and one more win in the neutral game (read as: one more punish opportunity) to launch them into a KO via C4. Sometimes you can even get a C4 into techchase regrab immediately into u-throw -> u-air -> C4, or you can sneak in a nair or d-air to work the same way as the jab at the start of the combo to prevent their tech and mix up their reaction. This same string works on Falcon, Falco, Wolf, Roy, and Zero Suit Samus to varying degrees as well. It's all character specific, but I believe Snake has the tools to really mess up any character enough for C4 to KO them.

Edgeguarding is really important against Ivysaur, though, considering her recovery is pretty bad overall. The main boon that Ivysaur has is that she can throw out really quick, safe hitboxes to challenge ledgehoggers, so you've got to scope all of that out beforehand. The reason that's important is that Ivysaur's UpB only has two uses and Ivysaur's only other recovery option is a single down air stall and air dodge. If you're also occupying ledge while Ivysaur is trying to Up B tether, the Ivysaur is stuck doing a super laggy getup animation (granted they still have the option of fading forward or fading back). The big deal here is two-fold:
- If they fade forward, they land on stage with substantial landing lag, meaning you can get a free C4 OR a free tranq, assuming you already have the C4 or have the time to both stick and launch the Ivysaur—depends slightly on their mashing but also on their percentage.
- Alternatively, if they're at KO percent and/or have a C4 on them, you can also place a mine to cover the most inward fade, as the most outward fade forces them to regrab ledge (which they can't do if you ledgehog them). This puts them in a horrible position given that you can freely force them into the mine, which means you can force the KO.

This is "covering the options" as BND said, and I do have to disclaim that I am simplifying the scenario greatly, and Ivysaur surely is a lot more versatile than just that, but other characters like Sheik and Falcon and easily die off of a single back throw off stage simply due to Snake's great edgeguarding capabilities. Spacies additionally get ruined by an unexpected back throw since you can quickly wavedash to ledge into invincible ledgehop/drop back air to catch their side-b or up B. Cypher also beats out their side-b's and links into back air, which is a really flashy but completely guaranteed edgeguard if you get the read on it. Add in the opportunity to C4 them into a forward air or back air and edgeguarding spacies becomes little more than pushing them until they're just too far to return. I'm sure there's also something to be said of utilizing C4 on the ledge to stuff sweetspot attempts (possibly using your shield to extend the hitbox duration via hitlag). Something like C4 drop into shield pivot FH back air OOS is in my brain right now.

tl;dr version: this character is hard. You need to study a lot if you want to succeed with him without having a genuinely concrete understanding of the game as a whole (i.e. great fundamentals leading to a superior neutral game à la Professor Pro or Messi).

The benefit right now is that many people (Prof, Messi, Myself, BND, Rolex, etc.) provide the resources to accelerate the process somewhat, either through videos or data collection or experimentation. Keep an eye on what everyone here is doing and you'll do well, I think. Ask questions about any specific thing that confuses or intrigues you during your research, and be sure to pursue it to the fullest as well. I'm just now finding out the benefits of u-air and back air's weak hitboxes as methods of extending combos, and it's taking me forever to acclimate to proper follow-ups out of Cypher, just to name a few examples.
Alright thanks man! This provided a lot of input for me and for my Snake. Thanks for taking the time to help me improve my game man

Top Bottom