• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique My Sheik

Journal

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, I'm new to the competitive scene, and this is my first streamed match at my first tournament in my first round of PM pools! I've already watched this match a few times, and I have my own ideas of how I could have done better, but I want to hear some of your thoughts too, since y'all are a lot more experienced than me. This is my summer of leveling up, and I'm absolutely determined to git gud, so let me have it so I start off in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ew1enPpoLM

Journal

Smash Apprentice
In all fairness, nobody has posted there since March and on the last page three people asked for advice and nobody gave it to them, while these sorts of threads do get responses. I thought this might be a better way to get help on my very competitively new Sheik. Do you have any tips?

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
Fair enough. While I'm a bit new to PM Sheik myself, if I were to compare this to other Melee/PM top players, I'd suggest trying different movement options like wavedashing and dashdancing more often. You did roll quite a bit, and the ending lag from rolls can put you at a disadvantage.

However, you did have quite a few good reads (I liked that one kill you got with Vanish), and your L-cancelling seemed fairly strong. Good job getting out there in the competitive scene, and keep it up!

Journal

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! I'm working on wavedashing consistently now. Anyone else have any advice?

AuraMaudeGone

Smash Ace
Thanks! I'm working on wavedashing consistently now. Anyone else have any advice?
In general, be more conscious of your button presses. Familiarize yourself with the moveset and figure out when is it best to use what move.
As Sheik's play style is more punish oriented rather than rush down. Look out and capitalize on your opponents mistakes.
I saw you charge needles like 2~3 times and you made no use of them. Make use of your needles, they're very beneficial in many match ups.
Work on your edge guarding.
Hang around the the match up thread or Skype group for specifics.

Journal

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! I'll need to make a skype account to do that, but I definitely agree. I'm in a weird state where I love to be aggressive, but Sheik just makes a lot more sense to me than other characters. I'm starting to work more on edgeguarding and actually using the needles I have lol.

Top Bottom