• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my sets again?

faroIN

Smash Rookie
From the first set, I'm noticing that you're telegraphing your movement so it's predictable. Your movement is technically sound but when your approach is to drop from plat and u-air then either jab or back off, it leads to you playing from behind and trying to force an opening. Fish more for grabs and punish any openings you have as hard as you can, or use weaker hits to combo. Delayed u-air or b-air are good options for approaches, and can be utilized with far wavelands. When you approach from top platform on Battlefield, it gives the Link a lot of time to figure out what you're planning and shut it down by making a wall with boomerang and bomb.

A lot of this you corrected in the Falco set. You had some strong approaches in that set, but still had some wasted movement that I think made some approaches obvious. One thing with this set is your overuse of airdodges that were immediately punished. Also taunting is dope but taunt to get bodied when you're trying to tie the set is pretty goofy.

Basically, move more deliberately and hit all your guaranteed **** in the punish game. It seems like the goal of your playing is to not lose rather than to win, but maybe you're just playing more defensively than I would with my own Ganon.

Dralro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Deadeye42
Looks at your sets, immediately realizes, that's your name on Smashboards? HVAC you disappoint me

faroIN

Smash Rookie
The ICs matchup is an odd one. You have to really be careful about your spacing and approaches. Your stage pressure was pretty good but you also gave up a lot of space by moving in unnecessary ways, which lets the IC camp more ground. The one thing I noticed about JESUS was that his neutral game is based entirely on getting grabs, so bait the grabs and then punish really hard. When you win neutral, you should be able to take the stock on smaller stages like Battlefield and Yoshi's.

The first stock in the Falco set you played very well. Pressure in all the right ways, the dair plays a big psychological role, and you controlled the middle and forced Falco to the outside. But when you died it went back to feeling like you were playing from behind and you never recovered.

How do people continue letting you go to Yoshi's? In Indiana everyone knows to ban Yoshi's against Ganon but you're getting to Winner's Semis and still going there. When they let you go to Yoshi's, treat it like a reset on your mentality. Go into it thinking that Ganon can beat anybody on Yoshi's. For me at least, Yoshi's is home base and I play with a lot more confidence because Ganon's movement is so fantastic. One thing I can suggest with Wavelands is to put the grey stick to 9 oclock for wavelanding left and 3 oclock for wavelanding right. The timing is more precise but you'll go all the way across platforms on all stages. Most people typically go 7:30 and 4:30 for wavelands and then have to shield drop or fall through plats to follow up after that. Waveland to bair or delayed u-air is a great way to retake center stage.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
For blizzard, hold R and c-away, and double tap away on the control stick. 2 SDI's away into buffered roll gets you out.

faroIN

Smash Rookie
The only thing I can think of is your dairs are really risky, which can play a big part in the mental game, but especially against ICs its really easy to punish just by grabbing out of shield. Your movement was super on point. There were parts where I think u-air was more optimal than bair but that's just differences in playstyle. Awesome job keeping the momentum going on Stadium.

Top Bottom