• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my set / Doctor Mario counterpicks?

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I'm a ganon main and I recently picked up Doc as a puff counterpick which seems to be somewhat working in my favour. I'd like to know what I should brush up on to do better in the MU. Ganon has a hard time against puff already at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7JW7H_K5aI My matches start at 3:00 as Doc.

Also, what other characters should I CP as Doc against? I believe doc does better against spacies, but my doc doesn't seem ready for the spacie matchups, as my ganon already does alright in the MU.

I'd like to know if Doc does alright against sheik as well. I've heard it's somewhat tough, but ganon sheik is a *****.

Also, is there a Doc R&D or discord somewhere?

_Franz

Smash Rookie
You were doing pretty fine against the puff but sometimes you would run up with an arial. I'd say in the puff doc matchup, you need to counter pick to a big stage so you can pill camp. I know i know, pill camping is boring and not fun but in this matchup its necessary because doc can't win in the air, Puff controls to much of the air and out ranges doc so doc needs to camp and make puff approach and get little pokes on puff. As an agressive doc main, ive had bad experiences just running with nair thinking it will work. Also when youre recovering you were to predictable when he knocked you off with bair by imitedly jumping will pill losing your jump. Its not a bad idea but try to mix it up by recovering low and immediate up b. Oh and try fishing for more grabs. Doc can kill puff around 60 - 80 with down throw fair. As for counter picking with doc vs some matchups id say play doc vs fast fallers and gannon vs floties but its up to you with who youre more comfortable with

SmashMac

Smash Lord
It looks like you have a pretty solid understanding of the fundamentals as far as movement is concerned. You also did well with some feints against the Jiggs where you would act like you're going in, then WD backwards to bait something. That was good. Here is some advice I would like to offer:

1.) Correctly spam more megavitamins. Megavitamin spam in general provides so much utility in this matchup it is unreal and extremely underrated. I have talked with quite a few high level Jiggs players and they agree that Doc. is one of the character's worst matchups because of pills. I say correctly spam them though, because you can use pills in such a way to create more options for Doc.
2.) Use more nairs. SH nairs and full-hop nairs are great, especially against a character like Jiggs that will die at low percentage. A lot of players don't expect the nair to become stronger as it's out. It is also a great spacing move when going through the opponent's shield.
3.) Do not DI in when you get hit by a bair or fair off stage. DI away on the first bair. It may seem like a bad idea at first, but it increases the probability of recovering. If you keep DIing in, you will feel the Jiggs Wall of Pain and lose a stock in the process.
4.) Do not be on a platform above Jiggs. It is just never a good idea unless an option presents itself during a combo or something similar to that kind of situation.
5.) Use more full-hop dairs. Full-hop dairs are very useful, especially against floaties. It does a lot of damage and the priority on dair is very strong.
6.) Use more WD back to fsmash, ftilt baits. This works very well against characters that use aggro with a forward momentup toward you as an approach (fox, falco, CF, Jiggs). A great way to punish and rack up damage.
7.) Use doc's up+B to beat other hitboxes while recovering so you can land on the stage safely. Even if you trade, the hit-stun and trajectory the opponent experiences will buy you enough time to safely recover. Most of the time it should not trade though because the up+B hitbox has very high priority.

In response do your question regarding Doc. vs. Sheik and the matchup, it is one of Doc's toughest matchups. It is definitely possible to beat her, but it is quite difficult. Also, Doc. does well vs. Spacies but it really only shines if you know the matchup better than they do. Doc. on FD vs. basically anyone is usually the best idea. If you ever decide to use Doc. against someone and they ban FD, it might not be a bad idea to assume they have some decent Doc. matchup experience.

I'm sure there is more I could discuss. Hope this helps though.

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Thanks man! I'm still not completely sure if I want to CP puff with doc, but I definately find the MU a lot less stressful than as ganon.

Top Bottom