• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Pit! (3.6)

Stove

Smash Rookie
Seeing as there's scarce footage for 3.6 Pit, I want to post up my own and hopefully encourage other Pit mains to post they're own videos of them playing Pit for criticism. As for me I'd like to know what I did wrong and what I did right. I'd like to get input from other Pit's and see what i can keep or change up.

• This first video is a Singles match against an Ivysaur:
http://www.twitch.tv/peachshampoo/b/677123633 (Timestamp for the match is 22:40)​

• The second video is a doubles match with my bestfriend/teammate a Sonic main:

Hopefully you guys can help me with my Pit, and hopefully you guys can post your own videos for criticism as well!

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
Well, first mistake is that you're using that Pit skin. You're killin' me, man.

In reality, not bad at all. You used your arrows really well to approach and really disrupt what Ivy was doing and get in safely. However, over time I noticed that you did the same thing regardless of their own actions. Even if Ivy was coming in swinging with some vines and ****, you still ran up and shot an arrow. Sometimes it worked out, but more often than not it clanked and you got punished for it. I'd like to see you try to mix up when you actually come in some time, just shooting arrows off to the side for a bit, maybe mixing in some dashdancing and such. It became pretty obvious when you were going to come in after a while.

Another thing you could work on would be your combo game and edgeguarding in general. You would usually get decent strings of 3-4, sometimes 5-7 attacks, which is pretty good. However, in your horizontal combos, you underestimated how well your fair can carry people and would often drop off early when you could keep stabbing Ivy and take her much further off stage. Combined with Ivy's slow aerial options, you could've definitely gone further with it. Several times, when Ivy was coming back, you could've dropped down and stabbed her before she could vine to the edge. Shooting arrows is a good, safe option, but sometimes you can secure an early or simply timely kill by going a little deeper for it. Pit's recovery is good enough to where he's going to make it back from most anywhere when undisrupted, so don't be afraid to go far when you've still got options left.

Overall though, not bad. Good stuff man, nice win.

Stove

Smash Rookie
Well, first mistake is that you're using that Pit skin. You're killin' me, man.

In reality, not bad at all. You used your arrows really well to approach and really disrupt what Ivy was doing and get in safely. However, over time I noticed that you did the same thing regardless of their own actions. Even if Ivy was coming in swinging with some vines and ****, you still ran up and shot an arrow. Sometimes it worked out, but more often than not it clanked and you got punished for it. I'd like to see you try to mix up when you actually come in some time, just shooting arrows off to the side for a bit, maybe mixing in some dashdancing and such. It became pretty obvious when you were going to come in after a while.

Another thing you could work on would be your combo game and edgeguarding in general. You would usually get decent strings of 3-4, sometimes 5-7 attacks, which is pretty good. However, in your horizontal combos, you underestimated how well your fair can carry people and would often drop off early when you could keep stabbing Ivy and take her much further off stage. Combined with Ivy's slow aerial options, you could've definitely gone further with it. Several times, when Ivy was coming back, you could've dropped down and stabbed her before she could vine to the edge. Shooting arrows is a good, safe option, but sometimes you can secure an early or simply timely kill by going a little deeper for it. Pit's recovery is good enough to where he's going to make it back from most anywhere when undisrupted, so don't be afraid to go far when you've still got options left.

Overall though, not bad. Good stuff man, nice win.
That Pit skin is godly! Take that back!
I'll be honest I was playing a bit on autopilot mostly cause it was my first time playing an Ivy as Pit but I will try to work on my mix ups and approach game. I do underestimate how far I can take a fair though. I'll try to work on these things overall and hopefully get another match on stream to compare it to this one. Thank you!

Top Bottom