• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my matches?

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqPO8_-PweU&feature=youtu.be

47:00 - 1:04:00
1:36:00 - 1:48:39

Much help appreciated. I did flub quite a few edgeguards/punishes/CCs into jabs as getting pressured by falco can be tough at times, especially mid-tourney lol.

It's a lot of footage, don't worry about watching it all, if you just want to critique 1 match, that's fine.

Last edited:

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
47:00 - 1:04:00
1:36:00 - 1:48:39

Sorry about that.

those were 3 bo5 sets, which the last one didn't record the final game

Last edited:

DCW

Smash Apprentice
No problem.

Caveats: I'm not a very good player, more like an aspiring player like you trying to get better. My analysis probably missed some problems in your gameplay simply because I have similar problems and haven't identified them for myself yet.

That being said, here are my thoughts on your sets:

· Against fox you were doing unsafe things, notably down-B from far away. Got rewarded against this bad Fox, but you’ll get punished hard by a better one.

· You often shield before doing an aerial, especially in the first bo5. They aren’t shield stops, because you’re not running but standing when you shield. This isn’t good because it wastes time, plus you never want to get stuck in shield unnecessarily. Shield stops are fine, but shielding when standing before an aerial is a bad habit.

· You’re pretty good at powershielding Falco’s lasers and SDIing Fox’s drill. Also saw some nice shield drops. These were in the first bo5—they didn’t appear much in the second and third. (Of course since he was Falco in the later sets, you couldn’t SDI the drill.)

· However, I noticed when you played the Falco on FD that once he did get you with lasers, you didn’t respond very well. You got flustered. Sometimes you wouldn’t be able to move before another laser hit you, sometimes you would go into shield for a moment. Remember that it’s okay to be hit by lasers. The laser you need to worry about most is the “combo laser”—the one that will link into a non-laser attack like dair. Don’t get flustered if you’re hit, just keeping looking for that combo laser so that you can resact quickly. You’ve worked on this, I think. Just keep working. Do you have 20XX? Practicing against a CPU shooting optimal lasers at you will help you learn your options. Here are two resources that have helped me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGtPF_13AaA
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-...uini-q-a-thread.215432/page-601#post-20784469 (Thanks @PseudoTurtle)

· It’s good that you do upairs when your opponent is above you on a platform. But you have better options to mix in! Try double upair land below, double upair land on the platform and grab, single upair land on platform grab. I especially do double upair land below, since then you can just repeat if they don’t act quickly.

· You rarely WL on the ground. Practice dj WLing (easier) and sh ff WLing (harder). Those will add much more fluidity to your movement. You use platforms extensively, but you usually airdodge in place rather than WLing. Again, doing more WLs on platforms will help you be more fluid. (I’m not saying to do WLs for the sake of doing WLs—just that it’s a good option in many situations that you don’t take advantage of.)

· When under shield pressure you always jump and do bair or dair. You never got punished for it, but a better opponent would pick up on the pattern. Mix in rolls and WD oos to escape pressure. (UpB oos is legit, too.)

· I like the (autocancelled?) bair on shield to turnaround ftilt, which you use throughout. Dairs on shield however, which you do several times, aren’t safe unless perfectly spaced so that you fade away after the dair. Yours weren’t safe.

· You do a lot of jumping forward and doing aerials while drifting forward / jumping in place. For instance, you do lots of sh/ dj fairs drifting forward or jumping in place. These aren’t safe. Because Ganon’s aerials are slow and have a lot of L-cancel time, a good opponent can dashdance out of range of an advancing aerial, then come back and get a free punish. Your opponent didn’t do that much, but a better one will. I recommend you start incorporating fadeback aerials into your game. These are much safer. You can also use them as bait—run forward for a moment, then fadeback fair to put a hitbox in the position you just occupied. If you fool your opponent into attacking your false approach, you’ll land a hit. Your current strategy of drifting forward with aerials will backfire when you face a better opponent.

· You’re good at edgeguarding spacey sideBs with bairs. When Fox and Falco upB near the stage, don’t be afraid to jump out there and aerial them to their death!

· When you do wavedash—and you don’t wavedash enough—the wavedashes are very short. You barely move sometimes. Make sure when you airdodge that your controller is directed just below horizontal, to achieve max distance on the WD. WDing is Ganon’s fastest grounded movement option, but you need to maximize the distance.

· I think I saw you ledgedash once. It's pretty useful, especially if you practice doing it fast enough to go into shield while still invulnerable.
---------------------

I think the biggest critique I have, overall, is that you that you do unsafe things in neutral that lead to (or should lead to) being punished by your opponent. Your movement is decent and clearly shows that you've been working on it, but there is still plenty of room for improvement. Hopefully all the more specific recommendations I made above will be helpful to you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice it was quite helpful.

These matches were going through GFs of a tourney, and when the nerves hit I start to flub more tech as you've mentioned(not enough ledgedashes, short wavedashes, etc) and I will have to start a regiment of practicing more tech every day. I've been slacking on self practice a bit.

I didn't notice the fact that I don't drift away into aerials, but I completely agree that I should implement it more. I feel like run back > bair would be better against spacies than drift back fair, due to that being much more of a hard read.

Unfortunately, I do not have 20XX, so I can't really practice specific tech with falco lasers and fox uthrow-uair. I resort to just practicing on humans lol

When I shield before jumping into an aerial, sometimes it's a habit from the falco MU, where sometimes you must pre-emptively shield to read a laser. However, from closer range, CC jab is of course much more useful as mentioned in that other thread.

I uair too much as a platform reaction, mainly because it can cover all options quickly. one mixup could could be SH fair if I can predict they will tech in place/miss tech

In the last bo5 I had this habit of dairing too much, mainly because the falco missed quite a few jumps out of shine. I'll start to fadeback more after the initial dair.

Perfect WL on the ground is something I usually only do on stages I can't optimally do it on platforms, but I should implement it more as a movement mixup. Not to mention that it's less optimal in the falco MU if he is on stage. One thing I like to to after a trade and the opponent is far on the other side off stage is pf wl - roll back. It's relatively quick, covers a decent range, and makes you face away from the ledge, making it easier to grab ledge or bair/uair for edgeguard.

I appreciate you pointing out my habits/flaws. The more tournaments I attend and the more bo5 sets I practice in frienlies, the more I will implement my tech and avoid flubbinf/fear of flubbing tech.

DCW

Smash Apprentice
I don't have time to write a good critique, but here's some encouragement: Your decision-making in neutral has improved since the last sets. Also, your movement on platforms and use of shielddrops is really nice. It looks like a lot of training is paying off. :)

Top Bottom