• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my luigi play!

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I'd give you a 5/10. You seemed to forget Luigi ' s crouch walk ability, where he can avoid most projectiles and move forward. Your meta game is solid, but you lack to technical skill to land some of the green missiles most punishing combos. You have a lack luster recovery and wasted a few opportunities. Counter aggression is Luigi ' s strong point, so your use of jumps to disillusion the opponent were well used. You suffer from a predictable approach, despite multiple options as Luigi. All in all a decent player, but not excellent yet. Advice from one Luigi main to another, it's OK to use the dash attack to catch an opponent off guard.

dhif24

Smash Cadet
thanks man! actually you can crouch under fox's lazors but not falco's unfortunately :(

yes I defiently need work on approach mix ups, and short hopping in general. Do you have any ways to approach you could share? or maybe a vid if its hard to explain?

Thanks

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
The classic method of approach with Luigi is the fire ball, then running grab read. Your opponent is predicted to shield, giving you the chance to dash grab them. It uses one of Luigi ' s weaknesses and turns it into his strengths.

Another is a side b fake out, followed by a down tilt then immediate grab out of shield. This is for mind games primarily, and won't catch them off guard if they spot it.

The next is actually after aqquiring the down throw. Instead of following up with the usual combos, go down with a down b cyclone. Mash the b button for max effect. It will trick your opponent into shielding so you can go for another grab, dealing an extra 10%, followed by a combo of your choice.

Upthrow to up air is another low percent mix up that will condition them into air dodging.

Simply hovering with a single short hop every few seconds, followed by a forward tilt is an excellent mind game and can be used to get the drop on the opponent if it hits. But be careful, it's easily punishable.

In conclusion, Luigi is all about patience and waiting to turn defensive positioning into a mounting offensive. The biggest issue with anyone who mains Luigi is frustration after not getting an activity. You have to adapt, be fluid, like rain. Then transform to lightning in a single movement.

dhif24

Smash Cadet
great post man thanks.

how do you cancel side b?

Is dair into nair an ok approach?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
great post man thanks.

how do you cancel side b?

Is dair into nair an ok approach?
I feel dair to nair is the b and b approach, I used to use it a lot but it becomes predictable and shielded followed by a grab. Apply it wisely.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
For general movement, you can always take the Melee approach and perfect pivot Luigi. Though when turning back around, there are several frames of lag. To supplement this, jump or dash attack or shield quickly to avoid being punished. It makes people go nuts when they think you're moving in one direction and you turn the other.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Well, you certainly haven't gotten worse. Your edge guarding and gimp in has gotten a lot better, as well as recovering. I have to say your style has changed significantly. You don't have the rush down mentality you used to have, opting for a defensive, read heavy strategy. Whether that worked or not is up for grabs.
You've improved in some areas, but worsened on others, like your movement. You were very static throughout the match, barely moving, though I might be biased, as my Luigi is a little more offensive. I'd say work on fast falling and utilizing Nair as a mean of getting back on stage safely.
This time you look more like a 7/10. You are far more cunning in your approach than you used to be.

dhif24

Smash Cadet
thanks raluigi! that's funny in the discord I posted the same video and was told I play too offensively :/

do you have an example video or could you explain how to use nair to get back on the stage safely?

thanks in advance!

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Well, when you're high up in the air, not on the edges. You just fast fall Nair. The hit box covers your descent

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
You sort of have a zoner aggression. You took a lot of damage, and needed to get aggressive because your opponent was a rush down Diddy who would've demolished you otherwise. With all of Luigi 's bizarre MU, he always has trouble with character who are fast enough to punish his sluggish movement.

dhif24

Smash Cadet
interesting, I'll have to practice that one.

can you explain what you mean by: needed to get aggressive because your opponent was a rush down Diddy who would've demolished you otherwise

thanks sir.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
You have to adapt to each character you come by. That wasn't meant to be disrespectful, but that Diddy was being awfully reckless in its assault. You adapted to it by adopting a reading style that made it hard for the Diddy to get any good hits by analyzing its attack patterns.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Then, applying a counter aggressive stance, you swept him off the stage.

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
I can see that you do some ledge trumps here, don't forget that Luigi has his Down Taunt to make an opponent K-O if he is grabbing the ledge with no invicibility, this is very useful on characters that recover low like this Diddy Kong . ;)

As Ralugi said, I think that you lacked a bit of mobility in this fight but you have globally a good offense and defense especially off-stage. Don't burn your double jump too fast, maybe you should to go in your option settings and disabled the Tap On, this can avoid accidental jumps, but be careful with it because the Super Jump Punch will not work immediately if you are dashing.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Down taunt is stylish, but it's risky, especially against recoveries such as :4link::4marth:, and a few of the swordsmen.

Please, never do this against a :4ganondorf:, you will be subject to the Ganoncide, and be thoroughly disrespected.

As Luigi, you are always at risk when you land back on stage. You always want to either grab the ledge or a dair/nair.

Last edited:

Alexis357

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alexis357
3DS FC
4210-4531-2184
Ah ah yes, swordsmens can be a bit difficult to get, especially if they recover "not-that-low" and don't grab the ledge, their Up-B generally touche you with a minimal hitstun, interrupting your Down Taunt.

:4mario::4kirby::4myfriends: are pretty hard too.

Top Bottom