• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creating Vanilla Melee Out of Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
I want to start a project where I make vanilla melee (or as close to it as possible) out of Brawl. I know that in and of itself is a large task. Has anyone else thought of this idea before?

Some of the benefits of modding brawl to vanilla melee I would see are it is easier to mod than melee (from what I have heard), stages look better and more stages to be made, costumes and alts look better, animations can be tweaked to make them better (characters can have more originality while remaining faithful: ganon forward tilt, falco jabs, etc), overall improved graphics. We could keep the same SFX and announcer and everything. And of course, cut the Brawl characters right out.

Having a vanilla melee in Brawl would give us more control over the game for people who like to add things to it. I know probably everyone who sees this will probably say "just play melee" but I think this project could be worthwhile and beneficial.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
half of what pm was going for was making brawl play like melee. the engine differences between the two, on their own, are huge, and that's what a lot of the differences between melee and pm stem from. pretty sure it's not a realistically feasibly goal to work towards, tbh : (

D

Deleted member

The main thing you need to work on and what should be your absolute priority is the 1 Frame Physics Delay. If you get that squared, you will most likely have that "Melee feel".

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
I have posted this same question in other places, and I appreciate the feedback. Even if it was 75% similar to vanilla melee I would still think that it would be a worthwhile project. Project M is already sort of close, cut out crawl, b reversing, and a few other things, and change skins to melee and SFX, not to mention hitboxes/frames/damges, and you would be very nearly there. Two things that would have to be implemented though would be the melee tethering system and lights shields mapped to the z button.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
It would be a neat little project and it would definitely receive some attention as a niche. Go for it but don't get too hung up on it I'd say

Ivanmeleemax

Smash Rookie
Ime actually working on this very concept right now!!! I started with Melee Remastered 2.5 build and have further enhanced the Melee feel with edited costumes, stage lighting fixes, camera zoom fixes, Melee voices (not hit sfx cause they always fail in PM 3.6 for some reason :( 7.sawnd file curses me whenever I do electric attacks -__-), Melee shield graphics, vertexed character models, or the use of the existing imported Melee models, larger item scaling, balanced recolors, graphic texture editing on the common3.PAC so hitbox collisions, shields, dash smoke is not so visually jarring and bright, and the Melee announcer is there on ALL characters!!

Ivanmeleemax

Smash Rookie
What's interesting dude is that you're talking about a vanilla Melee where we actually remove the Brawl characters, add pichu, young link, and Dr. Mario (own slot) back in, have all of the Melee stages back in (for the most part) , give all characters their Melee voice (since this pretty much exists for everybody) and viola! A vanilla Melee with a trimmed roster so we dont have to worry about Brawl newcomers "fitting in" with Melee personalities and costumes and movesets?!?!! How curious! I like the idea

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
I would still be interested in getting a project started, but I am knee deep in modding melee atm

Ivanmeleemax

Smash Rookie
wow! what are you actually doing with melee?? adding more costumes, stages, or editing movesets?? dont tell me youve added new characters :)

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
wow! what are you actually doing with melee?? adding more costumes, stages, or editing movesets?? dont tell me youve added new characters :)
Well it is sort of a Magic Scrumpy approach to melee, although there are some things he does I do not agree with. I also have implemented a few smash 4 things, like zelda with an up b hitbox, mario's up b last hit isnt impossible now, link has a more smash 64 back throw, etc. etc. Its not so much about making low tiers as good as fox, just making them more viable. I also slightly nerfed some of the top tier ridiculousness (nothing like scrumpy's fox) falco side b spike isnt as strong, falco weak hit dair is a meteor instead of a spike, peach down smash has less knockback and more end lag, peach cannot pull bombs, stitches or beamswords. I would still say top tiers still remain at the top, but the gap is not as wide.

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
And yes I have also been adding costumes. I eventually want each character to have two of each color. I have added a smash 4 inspired captain falcon, black and gold roy (didnt like the one in the texture thread), a maroon and gold roy, improved on the blood falcon costume by MachriderZ, gave Ness his Mr. Saturn costume and so on.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yo bro: It looks like you're now talking about a Melee mod. Please take it to the Melee Workshop. I'm afraid this isn't really talking about Project M anymore (or even ever was) so I'll be locking this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom