• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creating Vanilla Melee Out of Brawl?

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
I want to start a project where I make vanilla melee (or as close to it as possible) out of Brawl. I know that in and of itself is a large task. Has anyone else thought of this idea before?

Some of the benefits of modding brawl to vanilla melee I would see are it is easier to mod than melee (from what I have heard), stages look better and more stages to be made, costumes and alts look better, animations can be tweaked to make them better (characters can have more originality while remaining faithful: ganon forward tilt, falco jabs, etc), overall improved graphics. We could keep the same SFX and announcer and everything. And of course, cut the Brawl characters right out.

Having a vanilla melee in Brawl would give us more control over the game for people who like to add things to it. I know probably everyone who sees this will probably say "just play melee" but I think this project could be worthwhile and beneficial.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Can't you just cut stuff from PM and revert changes back to Melee? That would be easier than starting from scratch since they have the engine pretty close

Pauer

The Pauerful
That's a question you better ask in the Brawl Workshop. But I think modding the game engine in either brawl or melee has to be done in assembly, which alone requires a lot of specialized knowledge. Apart from that, you will have to have a deep understand of both the Brawl and Melee engine which alone can take a couple dozen hours to properly research and find out on your own. There's also probably a limit to how melee-like Brawl can actually be. A project like that is way out of scope for anyone who isn't an expert.
How about you start with something simpler, like custom movesets? It'll teach you some of the basics.

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
That's a question you better ask in the Brawl Workshop. But I think modding the game engine in either brawl or melee has to be done in assembly, which alone requires a lot of specialized knowledge. Apart from that, you will have to have a deep understand of both the Brawl and Melee engine which alone can take a couple dozen hours to properly research and find out on your own. There's also probably a limit to how melee-like Brawl can actually be. A project like that is way out of scope for anyone who isn't an expert.
How about you start with something simpler, like custom movesets? It'll teach you some of the basics.
I realize it probably wouldn't be 100% perfect, but I would still want to try. Even something that is like 75% similar would still be pretty cool imo. I have lots to learn, so if there is anything you would like to teach me, then by all means.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Unfortunately, I have no experience with modding Brawl. Moved this thread to the brawl workshop.

Top Bottom