• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crazy Hand v1.31 - Character editing program

mamimami

Smash Rookie
Ok, save it anywhere, I don't think it's called Marth.dat, so first look for the real file name.

Then open up your ISO in GC-Rebuilder and right-click the "root" folder and extract it anywhere, then locate the file you want to replace and replace it. Then click on "import" and select the root folder you modified, then click on rebuild and you are done.

StarPlatinum70

Smash Rookie
Ok, save it anywhere, I don't think it's called Marth.dat, so first look for the real file name.

Then open up your ISO in GC-Rebuilder and right-click the "root" folder and extract it anywhere, then locate the file you want to replace and replace it. Then click on "import" and select the root folder you modified, then click on rebuild and you are done.
What file do I want to replace?

Spawn_32

Smash Rookie
Well from a design standpoint of why he removed it I guess it is but I just wanted to implement it with Smash 4 Modding
Maybe you didn't understand me but all the parameters I talked about are still in Smash 4 files and are basically the same. 2.1, 0.95, 0.75 etc
And they still work (sort of) it's just that in Sm4sh you can't go faster than his normal air speed, ever. And I was wondering if in Melee there was one more parameter which I don't know of that could control this and might still exist in Sm4sh and thus I could implement running jump momentum with the tools Smash 4 Modding has at the moment

StarPlatinum70

Smash Rookie
I used Gamecube Rebuilder and replaced the Blue Link file with my Modded Link file to check, but now the remade ISO it made won't work on Dolphin.

StarPlatinum70

Smash Rookie
UPDATE -

I can play the modded Melee game, but when I try to start a match with my modded character, the game just stays stuck on the "Choose a stage" screen after choosing your stage. Choosing unmodded characters works fine.

Tyadran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyadran
Why isn't anyone replying?!
Because people aren't checking this 24/7?

Do you still have the original in a copy somewhere so that you could replace your modded one? To put it back to normal?
I haven't used GC Rebuilder, I just save all of my changes directly through Crazy Hand, without exporting the character.

ChefSeth

Smash Rookie
I want to put a frame speed modifier on Yoshi's roll but I can't figure out what the action state is, can anyone tell me?

StarPlatinum70

Smash Rookie
Update: I found out what I was doing wrong and fixed it.

Also how do I pull this off? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqcxHSqSn9A and does it work for other characters? I want my modded Pikachu to be able to up-B infinitely and use whatever moves he wants.

Edit:To be specific, I want to remove all ending lag and the freefall state from the UP-B moves of pokemon.

Last edited:

Mechaglacier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
purespade
I seem to be having trouble that I can't find a solution for. whenever I select my melee iso in crazy hand the program closes and nothing happens. is this normal?

Also how do I pull this off? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqcxHSqSn9A and does it work for other characters? I want my modded Pikachu to be able to up-B infinitely and use whatever moves he wants.

Edit:To be specific, I want to remove all ending lag and the freefall state from the UP-B moves of pokemon.
Try contacting MagicScrumpy.

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
Ok, I added the Gecko code and enabled it on my ISO. However, the code you posted earlier still doesn't spawn anything.
Strange. Sometimes the spawns are sensitive to timing windows and other events... Could you let me know what you're trying to edit so I can try and reproduce this? Also, did you use Dolphin to toggle the gecko code on (right click game -> properties -> edit config -- add the code, make sure it's checked in properties)

I mean, Itaru said (I think it was him) that you couldn't add more stuff to characters, so you needed to do it manually on a Hex Editor
It turns out that finding free space in the .dat isn't so simple.

I've just recently made a guide though that shows you how to extend the space of subaction events in the DOL using MCM and a regular old goto command in crazy hand. You can write subactions as big as you want! Itaru Itaru Tyadran Tyadran Ampers Ampers @Tater

Move logic table. See some discussion on the previous page for tons of info about this.

IASA function = interrupts based on inputs
Animation interrupt = interrupts based on expiring animation

Set animation interrupt to one that results in a falling state for Mewtwo's recovery portion of up-B to make him end it with a falling/standing state instead of his recovery-> special falling.

Some example useful animation interrupt function pointers:
800CB2F8 -> falling
80099BD0 -> special falling
80099E80 -> standing

Last edited:

ChefSeth

Smash Rookie
One more question, does anyone know if I can change how long Peach can float for? I assume its a really weird thing to mess with but I'd like to if I could
EDIT: I'm dumb, it was under character specific attributes

Last edited:

snuffysam

Smash Apprentice
Strange. Sometimes the spawns are sensitive to timing windows and other events... Could you let me know what you're trying to edit so I can try and reproduce this? Also, did you use Dolphin to toggle the gecko code on (right click game -> properties -> edit config -- add the code, make sure it's checked in properties
I just replaced Bowser's first Jab 1 hitbox with the projectile spawning code you posted (and then replaced the extra space with a rumble effect):

Also, here's an xdelta patch with the changes made, just so you can test out for yourself: http://www.mediafire.com/download/84ucbk1kjrc8nau/ProjectileSpawnTest.delta

And yes, I did add the code through Dolphin and check the box when at the properties for my ISO.

Last edited:

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
How do I give Captain Falcon's knee to other characters, like Mewtwo?
You need to be crafty about it. It's usually done by taking an animation and putting it for his forward air, then manipulating the hitboxes to be like the knee. I can't think of any mewtwo animations where he extends his foot forward though, so it might not look exact but you can just give his regular forward air the knee hitbox.

StarPlatinum70

Smash Rookie
You need to be crafty about it. It's usually done by taking an animation and putting it for his forward air, then manipulating the hitboxes to be like the knee. I can't think of any mewtwo animations where he extends his foot forward though, so it might not look exact but you can just give his regular forward air the knee hitbox.
changed my mind, I want it to be Marth. Doesn't he have a "knee the grabbed opponent" animation? How do I use that?

Tyadran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyadran
Hey, how exactly does WDSK work? Does it mean it sends any character a set distance, or is it some other thing proportionate to weight? Some clarification would be much appreciated.

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
I just replaced Bowser's first Jab 1 hitbox with the projectile spawning code you posted (and then replaced the extra space with a rumble effect):

Also, here's an xdelta patch with the changes made, just so you can test out for yourself: http://www.mediafire.com/download/84ucbk1kjrc8nau/ProjectileSpawnTest.delta

And yes, I did add the code through Dolphin and check the box when at the properties for my ISO.
I’m not really familiar with xdelta, how do I use this file? I tried a few things, but any successful patches I made didn't seem to have an effect on my ISO.

If the jab hitbox is all you modified, I’m able to get it working by following what you did. Do you have cheats disabled in your Dolphin settings by chance?

Nevermind I figured it out.

How does Crazy Hand's "Projectile" option work?
It's a means of modifying some known projectile hitboxes. Try and experiment with it.

Is it possible to swap attacks? I want to give Roy Sheik's neutral-B.
I don't think so. You can sort of swap moves within the same character though.

My custom Action State Logic subaction event can be used to force action state changes, allowing you to do any action that your character can normally perform. Action states that aren't common between characters overlap on the index though, and so are limited by character.

Itaru

MasterGanon
I’m not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I thought I’d share a quick note about character/item projectiles, and the vanilla projectile flag event.

There’s a useful playerThink-like function in the game (8006c80c) that determines how the projectile spawn flag (event 60) behaves every frame according to a pointer assigned by certain action states. It’s very similar to the existing move logic stuff in CH 1.31

It’s possible to manipulate this pointer and direct projectile spawn behavior by pointing it to a function that handles a character-specific projectile--like a fireball. The assigned projectile behavior lasts until the next action state change.

The function pointed to must handle a type of projectile that’s appropriate for the character, but may be assigned to action states that don’t normally use character projectiles.

Using Achilles’ custom character data subaction event, you can write to internal player data offset 0x21BC with any of the following (appropriate) article behaviors:

Code:
Character Projectile/Article spawning functions (Melee v1.02)
Update function 8006c80c -- (uses blrl to link to the following)
    internal player data offset 0x22BC -- contains pointer used by blrl
Projectile "spawn flag" is a flag used by player subaction event 60 to denote spawn timing for projectiles
    internal player data offset 0x2210 (bit 0x80) -- projectile spawn flag

Function    Uses spawn flag?    Description            Extra Notes
80095efc    0    (all thrown items)            universal throw, excludes aerial z-drops
800ce1d4    1    Use Ray Gun
800d80f4    1    Use Super Scope (small bullets)
800d86b8    1    Use Super Scope (charged bullet, any amount)
800cd914    1    Use Star Rod
800cdb9c    1    Use Lip Stick
800ce650    1    Use Fire Flower            appears to have special interrupt logic

800e0ee0    1    Mario/Doc fireball/pill
800e1248    0    Mario/Doc cape
8014295c    1    Luigi fireball
8011d018    1    Peach turnip
8011d424    0    Peach parasol (startup)
8011e174    0    Peach Toad
8011e230    0    Peach Toad spore cloud
80134590    0    Bowser down-B fall
80134518    0    Bowser down-B land
8012e110    1    Yoshi egg
8012e644    0    Yoshi down-B land
800bbcc0    0    Become Yoshi Egg (after grab)
8010db3c    0    DK down-B
8010e0cc    0    DK side-B
800e5f28    0    Fox/Falco Laser
N/A?        1    Fox/Falco Laser throw        These throws use projectile flag, but with some other function; not our common blrl
800e845c    0    Fox/Falco shine start
800e83e0    0    Fox/Falco shine hold
800e9df8    0    Fox/Falco side-B
800e719c    0    Fox/Falco up-B start
800e7100    0    Fox/Falco up-B launch
80116b70    1    Ness PK fire
80114eb8    0    Ness yoyo            used in both up and down smash
8011f500    0    IC icicle
80122d2c    0    IC frost
80123218    0    Nana up-B rope            only used by nana (subplayer)
800f21e8    0    Kirby up-B projectile            only on landing
800f53ac    0    Kiry Hammer
800f9260    1    Kirby-Mario/Doc
800f98f4    1    Kirby-Luigi
8010c288    0    Kirby-Peach (toad)
8010c344    0    Kirby-Peach (toad spore)
800fe0e0    0    Kirby-Fox/Falco
801090d4    0    Kirby-Popo/Nana
80105a34    0    Kirby-Zelda
80106db0    0    Kirby-Sheik
8010cfb0    0    Kirby-GAW start            notable that GAW has no start/finish like this
8010ce5c    0    Kirby-GAW finish
8010b1f4    0    Kirby-Marth/Roy
800be6ac    0    Escape from Kirby star (after grab) projectile
8012a074    1    Samus rocket
8012adf0    1    Samus bomb
8013a830    0    Zelda B
801396ac    0    Zelda teleport start
8013979c    0    Zelda teleport finish
8013adb4    0    Zelda -> Sheik start
8013aeac    0    Zelda -> Sheik finish
80112d44    0    Sheik needle(s) throw
8011097c    0    Sheik chain
80112ed8    0    Sheik teleport start
80113038    0    Sheik teleport finish
80114034    0    Sheik -> Zelda start
8011412c    0    Sheik -> Zelda finish
800ec210    1    (y)Link boomerang
800eb7c8    1    (y)Link bomb
800eba4c    0    (y)Link up-B
801277ac    1    Pi(ka)chu thunder            flag is near start of animation
80124c90    0    Pi(ka)chu start up charge
80124d2c    0    Pi(ka)chu launch from charge
8013c94c    0    JP sing
8013ce7c    0    JP rest
80146c08    0    Mewtwo side-B
80146594    0    Mewtwo down-B
801450a0    0    Mewtwo teleport start
80145164    0    Mewtwo teleport finish
80146594    0    GAW jab            many of GAW normals use models (articles?) that trigger these
8014ab48    0    GAW down-A
8014a848    0    GAW f-smash
8014b3a8    0    GAW u-air
8014b45c    0    GAW u-air landing
8014b1b4    0    GAW b-air
8014b268    0    GAW b-air landing    other normals do not appear to use this blrl despite spawning models...
8014e4f0    0    GAW B
8014c46c    0    GAW judgement
8014def0    0    GAW up-B
8014cbf4    0    GAW oil spill            only when used on full bucket
801365a8    0    Marth/Roy B            on attack

Noteworthy projectile moves that do not seem to appear on this list:
Bowser flame
Ness PK thunder
Ness PK flash
Samus (un)charge shot
Zelda fire/explode
(y)Link arrow
Pi(ka)chu B
Mewtwo shadowball

Article behaviors that don’t use the spawn flag seem to have some other purpose. Anything that uses the flag though can be spawned with event 60. (This flag can also be manipulated with code by modifying bit 0x80 of byte 0x2210 of internal player data)

For example:

F8FF000C 020021BC 8014295C -- assigns Luigi fireball spawn
60000000 -- spawns luigi fireball

So long as the correct item is being held, this can also be used for item projectiles.

Thanks for this documentation.

Last edited:

Sly_

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK ON A NASTY DUNK...
how would I go about keeping Sheik's double jump after she uses up-b? i have it so she can act out of it in the air, but she still cannot double jump

snuffysam

Smash Apprentice
I’m not really familiar with xdelta, how do I use this file? I tried a few things, but any successful patches I made didn't seem to have an effect on my ISO.

If the jab hitbox is all you modified, I’m able to get it working by following what you did. Do you have cheats disabled in your Dolphin settings by chance?
I was under the impression that xdelta was the preferred format for ISO patches? If not that, then what?

Cheats were disabled under Dolphin, as it turns out. However, enabling cheats doesn't fix the issue (even after unchecking/rechecking the Projectile Gecko code, and restarting Dolphin).

Something else I didn't notice before- I've been testing in Training Mode for the most part, and everything's been fine (save for the fact that the projectile doesn't spawn). But I went into Versus Mode to see if the issue lay on that end, and not only does the rock not spawn, but Dolphin crashes after a few uses of Jab. So just another weird thing that's been happening.

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Premium
how would I go about keeping Sheik's double jump after she uses up-b? i have it so she can act out of it in the air, but she still cannot double jump
The game changes action states through a series of little functions that set up a call to the main actionStateChange function. They’re all too simple to manipulate with any means that I know of besides code. See the bottom of this post for a similar scenario.

In this case, Sheik’s jump burn happens in the transition to her invisible teleporting state. By replacing this line with a nop (no operation) you can remove the effect.

Try this code:
Code:
-==-

Sheik keeps jumps during up-B
Prevents the side-B action state from consuming all remaining jumps.
Does not stop special falling state.
[Punkline]
Version -- DOL Offset ------ Hex to Replace ---------- ASM Code
1.02 ----- 0x80113bf0 --- 981E1968 -> 60000000
$Sheik keeps jumps during up-B [Punkline]
04113bf0 60000000

---

I was under the impression that xdelta was the preferred format for ISO patches? If not that, then what?
Didn’t mean to make any statements on what’s popular; only that I’m unfamiliar. I know it to be a popular format, I’ve just not had to rely on it since I work mostly with ASM in Melee. For me it’s all pastable MCM and gecko codes.

With your file, I tried a couple of xdelta guis; one of them insisted on .xdelta files, and the other I mentioned didn’t seem to work. I’ve never really done any ISO patching besides 20XX out of the box, and that came with a pretty batch file.

Something else I didn't notice before- I've been testing in Training Mode for the most part, and everything's been fine (save for the fact that the projectile doesn't spawn). But I went into Versus Mode to see if the issue lay on that end, and not only does the rock not spawn, but Dolphin crashes after a few uses of Jab. So just another weird thing that's been happening.
This definitely sounds like something is going wrong with the hook. Just to be sure, you're using v1.02 right?

If you start up Dolphin in debug mode and paste this (8007168C) into the address search field, do you see a “b” line like the one marked with a red square in this screenshot?

snuffysam

Smash Apprentice
This definitely sounds like something is going wrong with the hook. Just to be sure, you're using v1.02 right?

If you start up Dolphin in debug mode and paste this (8007168C) into the address search field, do you see a “b” line like the one marked with a red square in this screenshot?
PRETTY sure I'm using Melee v1.02. Is there a way to check?

Also, how do you run Dolphin in debug mode on a mac? Running in the Terminal doesn't have any outputs, and that thing you wanted me to search for doesn't show up in Console.

Tyadran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyadran
How do I make a character's moves slow down time? I saw something like this in a Brawl mod.
As far as I know, I don't think that is something we can do right now. It's doable in Brawl via the effect of the stopwatch item.
Honestly, Brawl modding v. Melee modding probably isn't going to help you much. I did some neat stuff in Brawl, but most of it isn't (currently) possible for Melee.

StarPlatinum70

Smash Rookie
How do I edit a character's taunt to attack the opponent or heal the user or something? I can't find "Taunt" in Master Hand.

Top Bottom