• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky Kong comes out of retirement!

splat

Smash Lord

"Whisking off maidens and throwing barrels around the place seven days a week, I was. That's how I got where I am today, you know. Hard work."

Cranky Kong is an odd case. Canonically, this rambling, argumentative, bad-tempered, old ape is the elderly form of the original Donkey Kong in the arcade game. He didn't appear in his current appearance until the first Donkey Kong Country however, where he'd give the player 'advice' on their progress. Ever since, he's been seen in a plethora of roles, though most of them kept this supportive role. That is, until fairly recently, as indicated by his Smash 4 trophy:

"In Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Cranky Kong's decided he's done with just giving the young 'uns helpful hints, so now he's taking things into his own hands by bringing some much-needed cane-swinging to the fray. You just can't keep an old ape down, can you?"

No. No, you can't. Time for this old codger to regain some of his former glory.

"Just a vine-swinging minute! Do you really think I'm going to let you go on another adventure alone?"

Representation of the Donkey Kong series

"You're only reading this because you're bored!"

I think most Smash fans agree in at least some degree that the Donkey Kong series is not receiving the spotlight it perhaps should receive. With over 57 million sales, the series is ranked fifth for best-selling Nintendo series of all time, following Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, and the Wii series. While these series have seven (excluding Yoshi), six (including Mewtwo), five and three (when considering the different Mii fighters as individual characters) fighters, the Donkey Kong franchise is stuck at two.

To make it worse, some smaller series like Kirby (just over 37 million sales), Star Fox (12 million), Fire Emblem (10 million), and Kid Icarus (3 million) have been receiving more attention too. Granted, many of the sales in the DK franchise have been accumulated before modern times, but to compare: Tropical Freeze sold 1,6 million copies, Kid Icarus: Uprising sold 1,3 million. Even now, Donkey Kong isn't slacking.

* data taken from VGChartz

I'm not attempting to start a discussion on which series 'deserves' new fighters the most. All I'm saying is that Donkey Kong could do with some more love. Whether that's one fighter or two, and which one(s), that's on you.

Possible Donkey Kong fighters

"That Donkey Kong may be strong, but he's not the only monkey in the barrel."

There's plenty of possible characters from the franchise that would be an amazing fit in Smash, with many people focusing on two particular ones: Dixie Kong and King K. Rool. Both amazing options, but there are more options in the series than just these two. I'll list my thoughts on them. Perhaps it can fuel some discussion.

Dixie Kong

"What's going on here? Dixie should be the damsel in distress, not one of the stars!"

That's a bit harsh don't you think, Cranky? She seemed to do just fine in DKC2, DKC3 and Tropical Freeze. While Cranky tends to appear in supportive roles more often, Dixie seems to appear either playable - or not at all. While Cranky can fit a unique niche as a fighter, Dixie may be the best option for a new Kong family member to make it as a figh--

"I've never seen so much worthless rubbish! I'm surprised they don't give you a special 'trash barrel' to haul it all around in!"

I'm sorry, Cranky. Sometimes the truth hurts a little.

King K. Rool

"Bah! The lad had a couple of frames in DKC and now he thinks he's a big star!"

The second big (in his case, literally) choice for a Donkey Kong fighter is one that's not from the Kong family: the antagonist from the original trilogy, as well as the first 3D game in the franchise. Another great choice, though he has been notable absent for a while now. Some may argue that his ship may have sailed, though the (albeit minor) reference in Super Mario Odyssey shows Nintendo has not forgotten about the Kremling King completely, but why he was left out of Tropical Freeze, and what this means for his futur--

"I could defeat K. Rool single-handedly of course, but then you wouldn't have a game to play would you?"

Right. Glad we got that cleared up, Cranky. I wasn't planning on making a point anyway.

How would Cranky play?

"I could do a better job with my eyes tied behind my back! Now, where'd my cane get off to?"

I feel like Cranky could fill an amazing niche being an older character. Even in DK canon, his mobility isn't properly defined: in DKC2 he's hardly capable of moving, while in others he's almost as mobile as his younger family members. On top of that, in Tropical Freeze, he actually uses his cane for increased mobility: similar to Scrooge, he's capable of wielding it like a pogo stick to jump around, shielding himself from damage as well as enabling him to deal out some.

Between these two things, I propose a moveset that I'd like to refer to as:
Situational Speedster.

While his walking and running speeds would be subpar (to say the least), Cranky would use his cane to weave himself in and out of the battle, finding safe spots to set up his attacks or just to GO IN. He'd have a few key moves that would allow for this particular fighting style, which I'll list below, as well as his specials. As a note: while his moveset is mainly based on Tropical Freeze, he will reference older games (including the arcade) too.

A complete move set will be listed in a spoiler tag too (including an alternative down B as well as custom specials), but I felt it'd be cleaner to just name the most relevant moves for now.

Dash attack

Both his dash attack and his side special are meant to give Cranky some horizontal momentum, and as such, to start pogo'ing. While his dash attack appears to be nothing but the roll from Tropical Freeze, Cranky is able to jump out of it. Should he do so, he'll keep his forward momentum.

Aerials

"Back in my day, I could get through the island without getting hit even once!"

His down air and his forward air would function similarly: both would be a sex kick attack in which Cranky holds his cane out (either below or in front of him). If it connects with a the ground (down air), a wall (forward air) or an opponent he uses it as a pogo stick and bounces back, causing him to jump up with his down air and flip directions with his forward air. Both can be held by holding down the down + A buttons.

Neutral special: Squawks

"Not only does he keep me company, he reminds me where I left my keys!"

For his neutral special, Cranky releases Squawks. Squawks flies around for a bit looking for a nearby item. If it finds one, it picks it up before flying back to Cranky, damaging everyone in its path and giving the item to Cranky. If it cannot find an item, it flies around until Cranky calls upon Squawks again before returning to Cranky empty-handed.

Side special: Barrel Toss

"Here's a tip from my days as a beloved hero: Try rolling off a ledge and jumping in midair."

Cranky grabs a barrel and rolls it forward. The barrel is affected by gravity and drops down when falling off an edge. Holding the input causes him to perform a Kong Roll, in which he jumps on the barrel and runs along on top of it. Similar to his dash attack, Cranky can jump out of it, keeping his forward momentum.

Up special: Extra Life Balloon

"I blew up all these balloons myself, you know."

Cranky pulls out a red Extra Life Balloon and drifts upward fairly sluggishly. Cranky can be freely controlled horizontally and using the shield buttons will cause him to let loose of the balloon. The balloon can be popped like Villager's, but Cranky does not go into helpless state if his balloon is popped.

Down special: Super Simian Slam

"When in doubt, pound!"

Cranky braces himself for a ground pound. Cranky can charge the move, and flashes up to two times to signal reaching the next stage of the charge. If Cranky is on the ground he jumps up and slams down, and if he already is airborne, he drops with minimal start-up lag. Upon colliding with the ground, a shock wave is released that expands in size and deals damage to opponents hit: green for stage 1, blue for stage 2 and red for stage 3. For each stage the range and speed of the shock wave is increased, as well as dealing bonus damage.

Final Smash: 25m

"Y'know what they say, all graphics and no game play!"

You're right, Cranky. Many Final Smashes are a bit boring: press a button, wait for an animation and you're done. I've attempted to cook up something that not only fits Cranky thematically, but is also more interactive.

When using 25m, a large steel beam appears above the stage. Cranky jumps on it, and unloads a bunch of barrels down on the stage by moving left and right and pressing A or B. It's somewhat similar to Snake's Final Smash, though rather than full control you can control the horizontal axis.

While it first Cranky might seem like a weak and slow character, with enough training you may just master Cranky's agility and use his full potential.

"I'm sure some of it will appear on the newfangled 'internet' thing as well, so I suggest you take a look-see there. You could also ask your friends, assuming of course you've got any. If all else fails, you'll just have to play better."

Full moveset

Move|Name|Description|Inspration|Link
Jab (A)| |Leans forward on his cane and punches with his left hand.|N/A|
Jab (A, A)| |Leans back and kicks with his left foot.|N/A|
Jab (A, A, A)| |Swipes his cane horizontally once.| His swimming attack (A/B) in DKCTF|
Dash attack| |Performs a short roll. Cranky keep jump out of it to keep his horizontal momentum.| The Roll Attack in DKCTF|
Up tilt| |Jumps up and uppercuts.| His Kong POW animation|
Side tilt| |Swings his cane overhead into the ground.| His ground pound in DKCTF|
Down tilt| |Sticks his cane in the ground and uses it to kick himself forward.| The animation for when he starts running in DKCTF|
Up smash| |Jumps and uses his cane to propel his feet up, as if he was pole vaulting.|N/A|
Side smash| |Holds his cane in his right hand and swings it forward in a horizontal arch (similar to DK's Forward Smash in 64, but holding a cane).|N/A|
Down smash| |Jumps up and down while facing the player, seemingly agitated. Hitboxes appear at his both feet. |No specific game, but meant to reference his bad temper|
Neutral air| |Performs a corkscrew.| His swimming attack (ZL/ZR) in DKCTF|
Up air| |Swipes his cane upward twice.|His swimming attack (A/B) in DKCTF|
Forward air| |A sex kick attack in which Cranky holds his cane in front of him. If it connects with a wall or an opponent he uses it as a pogo stick, turning around and bouncing back. Can be held by holding down the forward + A buttons.|His signature move in DKCTF|
Back air| |Twirls around with his cane extended.|Failing a bonus level in DKCTF|
Down air| |A sex kick attack in which Cranky holds his cane below him and falls a smidge quicker. If it connects with the ground or an opponent he uses it as a pogo stick and bounces back up. Can be held by holding down the down + A buttons.|His signature move in DKCTF|
Neutral special|Squawks|Releases Squawks. Squawks flies around for a bit looking for a nearby item. If it can find one, it picks it up before flying back to Cranky, damaging everyone in its path and giving the item to Cranky. If it cannot find an item, it flies around until Cranky calls upon Squawks again before returning to Cranky empty-handed.| Cranky's Shopkeep status, as well as the function of Squawks in DKCR/TF|
Custom 1|Quawks|Moves slower but deals more damage and knockback when colliding with an opponent.|Quawks is the stronger version of Squawks in DKBB|
Custom 2|Screech|Screech does not pick up items. Instead of flying towards Cranky when he's called upon, Screech moves away from him.|Screech is the parrot of the Kremlings, so would want to escape Cranky|
Custom 3|Flashing Squawks|Squawks cannot pick up items and does not deal damage when colliding with an opponent. Instead, his lantern flashes brightly once before returning to Cranky. Opponents hit by the flash are stunned for a brief duration.| The function of Squawks in DKC |
Up special|Extra Life Balloon|Cranky pulls out a Red Balloon and drifts upward fairly slowly. Cranky can be controlled horizontally and using the shield buttons will cause him to let loose of the balloon. The balloon can be popped like Villager's, but Cranky does not go into helpless state should that occur.|Red Balloon|
Custom 1|Spirit Lifting Balloon|These balloons are green and gains more height more quickly, but are limited in horizontal movement.|Green Balloon, which saves you quicker: rather than dying it saves you from pitfalling|
Custom 2|Balloon Barrel| Cranky hops inside a barrel and shields himself from minor incoming damage, at the cost of vertical recovery.|DKCR/TF respawn when playing co-op|
Custom 3|Banana Balloon|These balloons are yellow. Once popped, the balloons drop a banana peel.|The item in DK64|
Side special|Barrel Toss|Grabs a Barrel and rolls it forward. The barrel is affected by gravity and drops down when falling off an edge. Cranky can input the move again when near a barrel to perform a Kong Roll, in which he jumps on the barrel and runs along on top of it. Cranky keep jump out of the Kong Roll to keep his horizontal momentum.| His OG move in the DK arcade, as well as the Kong Roll from DKCTF|
Custom 1|Oil Drum|Uses an Oil Drum instead of a wooden barrel. The Oil Drum explodes when it comes into contact with an opponent or wall. Cranky is dealt minor fire damage per second should he perform the Kong Roll on the Oil Drum.|The oil barrel from the DK arcade|
Custom 2|Bouncing Barrel|Instead of a rolling barrel, Cranky tosses out a barrel that bounces forward. Cranky cannot Kong Roll on the Bouncing Barrel.|N/A|
Down special|Super Simian Slam| Cranky braces himself for a ground pound. Cranky can charge the move, and flashes up to two times to signal reaching the next stage of the charge. If Cranky is on the ground he jumps up and slams down, and if he already is airborne, he drops with minimal start-up lag. Upon colliding with the ground, a shock wave is released that expands in size and deals damage to opponents hit: green for stage 1, blue for stage 2 and red for stage 3. For each stage the range and speed of the shock wave is increased, as well as dealing bonus damage.| The Simian Slam in DK64, which is a move all Kongs can do |
Custom 1|Swift Simian Slam|Cranky can no longer charge the move, but comes out much quicker. |N/A|
Custom 2|Shocking Simian Slam|Rather than dealing damage, the shock wave stuns opponents.|N/A|
Down special (alt)|Banana Juice|Cranky takes a Banana Juice jar from hammerspace and drinks it. The juice causes Cranky to shimmer golden and gain heavy armor for about twelve seconds, in which attacks which deal less dan 7% do not cause him to flinch. After the duration, Cranky's knockback resistance is decreased for five seconds.| Cranky's Shopkeep status in many DKC games|
Custom 1|Pineapple Juice|Rather than gaining heavy armor, Cranky's attacks deal bonus knockback while shimmering red. After the juice's effect wears off, his attacks deal less damage for five seconds.|Cranky is the chemist in DK64|
Custom 2|Grape Juice|While shimmering blue, Cranky gains increased jumping height and a slightly increased falling speed. After the juice's effects wear off, his falling speed is heavily reduced.|Manga|
Final Smash|25m| A large, red beam appears above the stage. Cranky jumps on it, and unloads a bunch of barrels down on the stage by moving left and right and pressing A or B.| Cranky is the chemist in DK64|
Grab| | Jumps forward with both arms extended.| DK's 'grabbing' animations in Jungle Climber|
Pummel| | While holding the opponent with his free hand, slaps them with the top end of his cane.|N/A|
Up throw| | Tossed the opponent up a bit, before poking them away with the top end of his cane.| His End barrel-smashing move from DKCTF|
Forward throw| | Tosses the opponent in the same fashion he'd toss a barrel in DKCTF.| Throwing things in DKCTF|
Back throw| | Suplexes the opponent after some effort.| His plucking animation from DKCTF|
Down throw| | Hops on the opponent's back and smacks behind him then a couple of times, as if he's speeding up a horse.| His 'mounting' DK animations in DKCTF.|
Entrance| | Enters in a CK Barrel.|How he is summoned in DKCTF|
Victory pose 1| | Smugly rocks back and forth in his rocking chair.| How you encounter him in DKC|
Victory pose 2| | Plays his record player.| The opening of DKC|
Victory pose 3| | Performs a bucnh of silly poses.|The poses he does after being fired out of a Style Barrel in DKBB|
Loss pose| | Throws a tantrum.| |
Taunt 1| | Does the old-school DK pose where he slams his chest.|Him supposedly being the OG DK|
Taunt 2| | Sits down and reads a news paper.|The idle pose in DKCTF|
Taunt 3| | Sticks his cane in the ground and spins around it once.|The pose his does before when entering a stage in DKCTF|
Taunt 4| | Performs a Broadway tap dance using his cane as a dancing stick.|The DK animated series|
Idle 1| | Smashes his cane into the ground, causing it to bounce up before catching it again.|The pose his does before boss battles in DKCTF|
Idle 2| | Adjusts his glasses.|He's old|
Idle 3| | Cracks his back.|He's old|

Possible palette swaps

"It's just like the old days, reusing the boss, changing its color and pretending it is completely new."

From left to right: Cranky (current), Wrinkly, Chunky (DK64), Cranky (DKC2), DK (arcade), DK Jr., Team Cranky (Diddy Kong Pilot), Scrooge

List of supporters

"What in the name of monkey business is going on here? Holy monkey madness, will you just look at that!"

BirthNote
Blips
Brother AJ
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
fogbadge
Gimj
GoldenYuiitusin
Juliusaurus
KingofPhantoms
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
MacDaddyNook

Miifighters4Smash5
Questionmark222
RetrogamerMax
Ridley_Prime
Runic_SSB
SEGAGameBoy
Sir Ridley XII
Some Beedrill
splat
Super Nintendo Chalmers
TheSoldier
UserKev
Xigger
Yomi's Biggest Fan

[your name could be here, too!]

Closing remarks

"Get out of my tent now, you cheeky ape!! Wait till I tell your parents."

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Support.

Easily my most wanted DK Newcomer (that has a shot; RIP Bashmaster, the Unbreakable).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Am not typically a character thread maker here with maybe a small exception or so, but surprised Cranky didn't already have a thread remade for him on this sub-forum till now... Regardless, support.

splat

Smash Lord
huh i thought id made this again, oh well
I checked before making this thread and could not find one (in the index, at least).
You did make one for SSB4, but not for the Switch boards.

Can I assume you're a supporter, too? ;)

Am not typically a character thread maker here with maybe a small exception or so, but surprised Cranky didn't already have a thread remade for him on this sub-forum till now... Regardless, support.
I'm not one to make character threads either - most of the characters that actually have a chance already have one anyway - but felt Cranky was missing (was kind of surprised he didn't have one, too!), and as was working on a move set anyway I figured I might as well.

Added the supporters in the first post.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I checked before making this thread and could not find one (in the index, at least).
You did make one for SSB4, but not for the Switch boards.

Can I assume you're a supporter, too? ;).
thats why i said remade, was just mistaken for some reason, you can certainly put on a support list

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I like Cranky Kong, but the idea of pounding on a morbidly elderly monkey doesn't sit well with me. I also don't see much moveset potential in him.

I'd much rather have Funky Kong if we got another member of the kong family.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm on the fence for him being playable, but I do like the idea of him having his own "trophy gallery" or "CODEC" talks where he gives horribly inaccurate information about the other characters and talks about how heroes and villains were better in his day.

splat

Smash Lord
I like Cranky Kong, but the idea of pounding on a morbidly elderly monkey doesn't sit well with me.
Truthfully, I had never looked at it like that before and I can kind of see where you're coming from.
On the other hand, he's obiously a cartoonesque character, and we're beating the snot out of little kids and pets in this game as well.

I also don't see much moveset potential in him.
Well then, you're in luck!

Move|Name|Description|Inspration|Link
Jab (A)| |Leans forward on his cane and punches with his left hand.|N/A|
Jab (A, A)| |Leans back and kicks with his left foot.|N/A|
Jab (A, A, A)| |Swipes his cane horizontally once.| His swimming attack (A/B) in DKCTF|
Dash attack| |Performs a short roll. Cranky keep jump out of it to keep his horizontal momentum.| The Roll Attack in DKCTF|
Up tilt| |Jumps up and uppercuts.| His Kong POW animation|
Side tilt| |Swings his cane overhead into the ground.| His ground pound in DKCTF|
Down tilt| |Sticks his cane in the ground and uses it to kick himself forward.| The animation for when he starts running in DKCTF|
Up smash| |Jumps and uses his cane to propel his feet up, as if he was pole vaulting.|N/A|
Side smash| |Holds his cane in his right hand and swings it forward in a horizontal arch (similar to DK's Forward Smash in 64, but holding a cane).|N/A|
Down smash| |Jumps up and down while facing the player, seemingly agitated. Hitboxes appear at his both feet. |No specific game, but meant to reference his bad temper|
Neutral air| |Performs a corkscrew.| His swimming attack (ZL/ZR) in DKCTF|
Up air| |Swipes his cane upward twice.|His swimming attack (A/B) in DKCTF|
Forward air| |A sex kick attack in which Cranky holds his cane in front of him. If it connects with a wall or an opponent he uses it as a pogo stick, turning around and bouncing back. Can be held by holding down the forward + A buttons.|His signature move in DKCTF|
Back air| |Twirls around with his cane extended.|Failing a bonus level in DKCTF|
Down air| |A sex kick attack in which Cranky holds his cane below him and falls a smidge quicker. If it connects with the ground or an opponent he uses it as a pogo stick and bounces back up. Can be held by holding down the down + A buttons.|His signature move in DKCTF|
Neutral special|Squawks|Releases Squawks. Squawks flies around for a bit looking for a nearby item. If it can find one, it picks it up before flying back to Cranky, damaging everyone in its path and giving the item to Cranky. If it cannot find an item, it flies around until Cranky calls upon Squawks again before returning to Cranky empty-handed.| Cranky's Shopkeep status, as well as the function of Squawks in DKCR/TF|
Custom 1|Quawks|Moves slower but deals more damage and knockback when colliding with an opponent.|Quawks is the stronger version of Squawks in DKBB|
Custom 2|Screech|Screech does not pick up items. Instead of flying towards Cranky when he's called upon, Screech moves away from him.|Screech is the parrot of the Kremlings, so would want to escape Cranky|
Custom 3|Flashing Squawks|Squawks cannot pick up items and does not deal damage when colliding with an opponent. Instead, his lantern flashes brightly once before returning to Cranky. Opponents hit by the flash are stunned for a brief duration.| The function of Squawks in DKC |
Up special|Extra Life Balloon|Cranky pulls out a Red Balloon and drifts upward fairly slowly. Cranky can be controlled horizontally and using the shield buttons will cause him to let loose of the balloon. The balloon can be popped like Villager's, but Cranky does not go into helpless state should that occur.|Red Balloon|
Custom 1|Spirit Lifting Balloon|These balloons are green and gains more height more quickly, but are limited in horizontal movement.|Green Balloon, which saves you quicker: rather than dying it saves you from pitfalling|
Custom 2|Balloon Barrel| Cranky hops inside a barrel and shields himself from minor incoming damage, at the cost of vertical recovery.|DKCR/TF respawn when playing co-op|
Custom 3|Banana Balloon|These balloons are yellow. Once popped, the balloons drop a banana peel.|The item in DK64|
Side special|Barrel Toss|Grabs a Barrel and rolls it forward. The barrel is affected by gravity and drops down when falling off an edge. Cranky can input the move again when near a barrel to perform a Kong Roll, in which he jumps on the barrel and runs along on top of it. Cranky keep jump out of the Kong Roll to keep his horizontal momentum.| His OG move in the DK arcade, as well as the Kong Roll from DKCTF|
Custom 1|Oil Drum|Uses an Oil Drum instead of a wooden barrel. The Oil Drum explodes when it comes into contact with an opponent or wall. Cranky is dealt minor fire damage per second should he perform the Kong Roll on the Oil Drum.|The oil barrel from the DK arcade|
Custom 2|Bouncing Barrel|Instead of a rolling barrel, Cranky tosses out a barrel that bounces forward. Cranky cannot Kong Roll on the Bouncing Barrel.|N/A|
Down special|Super Simian Slam| Cranky braces himself for a ground pound. Cranky can charge the move, and flashes up to two times to signal reaching the next stage of the charge. If Cranky is on the ground he jumps up and slams down, and if he already is airborne, he drops with minimal start-up lag. Upon colliding with the ground, a shock wave is released that expands in size and deals damage to opponents hit: green for stage 1, blue for stage 2 and red for stage 3. For each stage the range and speed of the shock wave is increased, as well as dealing bonus damage.| The Simian Slam in DK64, which is a move all Kongs can do |
Custom 1|Swift Simian Slam|Cranky can no longer charge the move, but comes out much quicker. |N/A|
Custom 2|Shocking Simian Slam|Rather than dealing damage, the shock wave stuns opponents.|N/A|
Down special (alt)|Banana Juice|Cranky takes a Banana Juice jar from hammerspace and drinks it. The juice causes Cranky to shimmer golden and gain heavy armor for about twelve seconds, in which attacks which deal less dan 7% do not cause him to flinch. After the duration, Cranky's knockback resistance is decreased for five seconds.| Cranky's Shopkeep status in many DKC games|
Custom 1|Pineapple Juice|Rather than gaining heavy armor, Cranky's attacks deal bonus knockback while shimmering red. After the juice's effect wears off, his attacks deal less damage for five seconds.|Cranky is the chemist in DK64|
Custom 2|Grape Juice|While shimmering blue, Cranky gains increased jumping height and a slightly increased falling speed. After the juice's effects wear off, his falling speed is heavily reduced.|Manga|
Final Smash|25m| A large, red beam appears above the stage. Cranky jumps on it, and unloads a bunch of barrels down on the stage by moving left and right and pressing A or B.| Cranky is the chemist in DK64|
Grab| | Jumps forward with both arms extended.| DK's 'grabbing' animations in Jungle Climber|
Pummel| | While holding the opponent with his free hand, slaps them with the top end of his cane.|N/A|
Up throw| | Tossed the opponent up a bit, before poking them away with the top end of his cane.| His End barrel-smashing move from DKCTF|
Forward throw| | Tosses the opponent in the same fashion he'd toss a barrel in DKCTF.| Throwing things in DKCTF|
Back throw| | Suplexes the opponent after some effort.| His plucking animation from DKCTF|
Down throw| | Hops on the opponent's back and smacks behind him then a couple of times, as if he's speeding up a horse.| His 'mounting' DK animations in DKCTF.|
Entrance| | Enters in a CK Barrel.|How he is summoned in DKCTF|
Victory pose 1| | Smugly rocks back and forth in his rocking chair.| How you encounter him in DKC|
Victory pose 2| | Plays his record player.| The opening of DKC|
Victory pose 3| | Performs a bucnh of silly poses.|The poses he does after being fired out of a Style Barrel in DKBB|
Loss pose| | Throws a tantrum.| |
Taunt 1| | Does the old-school DK pose where he slams his chest.|Him supposedly being the OG DK|
Taunt 2| | Sits down and reads a news paper.|The idle pose in DKCTF|
Taunt 3| | Sticks his cane in the ground and spins around it once.|The pose his does before when entering a stage in DKCTF|
Taunt 4| | Performs a Broadway tap dance using his cane as a dancing stick.|The DK animated series|
Idle 1| | Smashes his cane into the ground, causing it to bounce up before catching it again.|The pose his does before boss battles in DKCTF|
Idle 2| | Adjusts his glasses.|He's old|
Idle 3| | Cracks his back.|He's old|

I added it to the first post, too, and will update it as I go along with links to the inspiration for moves.

I'm on the fence for him being playable, but I do like the idea of him having his own "trophy gallery" or "CODEC" talks where he gives horribly inaccurate information about the other characters and talks about how heroes and villains were better in his day.
Cranky codec would be brilliant.

D

Deleted member

I'll post what I said about Cranky months ago.

I see potential for Smash's first "Old Master" archetype with a fighting style that resembles Kung Fu (or would it be....Kong Fu? :awesome:) mixed with using his cane as his primary weapon.
Sound familiar?

The idea of Cranky being a martial artist badass isn't that out there, considering the GBA remake of DKC3 featured a minigame called "Cranky's Dojo" where he trains himself.

Granted, it was where you had to use a shield to block projectiles coming your way rather than use epic fighting skills, but still.

There's also techniques like the Cane Bounce (which is not unlike Scrooge McDuck's pogo bounce in the Ducktales game) and the Denture Popgun (though he fires dentures from his cane instead of an actual popgun), as well as possible throwbacks to the retro Donkey Kong games considering he's supposed to be the original Donkey Kong. There's also the idea of him being a potions master, based on his role in DK64, but that will probably be passed over.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Truthfully, I had never looked at it like that before and I can kind of see where you're coming from.
On the other hand, he's obiously a cartoonesque character, and we're beating the snot out of little kids and pets in this game as well.
I dunno, I don't like Cranky as a fighter, I like him as this comfy grandpa who just shows up on the Kongo Jungle stage, trying to relax despite all the smashing going on outside.

If we got another DK rep I'd rather have it be Funky Kong.

PF9

Smash Lord
I think Cranky is a little too old for this. But if DKC were made into a movie I'd have no problem with Samuel L. Jackson playing him.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm down for this! Playing Tropical Freeze really made me want to see Cranky playable; it goes without saying that there's others I wanted more, but still he'd make a fun moveset as a cane-swinging fighter. Besides, he's always going on about how badass he is, why not have him back up his trash talk? XD

splat splat I noticed you left a link to my thread in the OP, so I'll link your thread in mine. Thanks.

splat

Smash Lord
Sweet, I'll add you to the first post.
Of course I added a link, the DK franchise could do with some love - no matter which character.

I the meantime, I made a Cranky stock icon (among others) that kind of fits with the rest of the Smash 4 smilies.
:4dk:
:4diddy:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've liked the idea of Cranky Kong being a Smash fighter ever since his reveal as a playable character in Tropical Freeze. I'm down for him this time too.

He's not my most wanted of the possible DKC newcomers, but his addition, with other DK characters or not, would not be an unwelcome one to me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Totally support. The more Kongs the merrier. Give me Kiddy, Chunky, Lanky, Cranky... I don't care, DKC needs LOVE.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm so late, I didn't realize it until late. Cranky Kong potential Final Smash, reclaiming his youth and reverting back to his 8 bit prime self, continuously throwing barrels at foes. Also, Cranky Kong just balding his hand in front his mouth and coughing as one of his victory poses is just badass.

I support.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh my goodness. Please this. Please, please Mr Sakuraisan, do this.
I mean, oh my goodness.
This.

Forget Palutena.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Oh my goodness. Please this. Please, please Mr Sakuraisan, do this.
I mean, oh my goodness.
This.

Forget Palutena.
Cranky Kong has so much potential. He could even have certain inconsistences, occasionally talking in Vs. Battles.

S** is sick.

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
Gramps Kong is my second DK Choice after King K. Rool. We don't have an elderly fighter yet, and it would be neat to have him fight Mario again. Now imagine if Pauline and Stanley make it as well? It would be the full retro Mario/DK family complete.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Gramps Kong is my second DK Choice after King K. Rool. We don't have an elderly fighter yet, and it would be neat to have him fight Mario again. Now imagine if Pauline and Stanley make it as well? It would be the full retro Mario/DK family complete.
I said this. Cranky Kong would cover the elder aspect which is actually missing from Smash. Its also a nice twist since the elder wouldn't be a typical elder human.

Morbi

Scavenger
I said this. Cranky Kong would cover the elder aspect which is actually missing from Smash. Its also a nice twist since the elder wouldn't be a typical elder human.
I feel as though Ganondorf covers that relatively well enough that we do not necessarily need an entire character for that niche. That being said, I believe Cranky offers more than just his age.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I feel as though Ganondorf covers that relatively well enough that we do not necessarily need an entire character for that niche. That being said, I believe Cranky offers more than just his age.
Ganondorf is old but, you don't think of him as an elder. He's just a powerful warlord. Cranky Kong properly defines the elder aspect while having more to his character.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Obviously I'm going all-in on Funky Kong, but if he doesn't make it in, Cranky is definitely my second choice. Dixie always seemed boring to me and K. Rool has been MIA for ages. Plus, I really like Cranky. If he got in, I'd want his Final Smash to be him returning to his glory days as the 8-bit Donkey Kong throwing barrels at everyone.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
You can definitely consider me a supporter. The ORIGINAL Donkey Kong needs some love! Plus, he'd be Smash's one and only elderly rep! There's so few of these sorts of icons in gaming...

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ok, someone brought up in a similar topic that Cranky Kong could have potions in his move set that could make him big, invisible and even decrease his size.

I actually like it and would give Cranky Kong massive appeal.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ok, someone brought up in a similar topic that Cranky Kong could have potions in his move set that could make him big, invisible and even decrease his size.

I actually like it and would give Cranky Kong massive appeal.
in a moveset i once made his neutral special was him throwing potions

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
My goodness do I want Cranky Kong. Beating people up with a cane as an old monkey is too good to pass up. Imagine Waluigi + Cranky Kong on a team? All of my yes. Such a criminally underrated character to add for 5mash. Would be so fun and funny to see him fight. Who else will put these whippersnappers in their place?

R E S P E C T Y O U R E L D E R S|

I also must say that Cranky "codecs" would be really awesome if he were not to get in.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I. WANT. HIM. So badly. Name any other character that can shoot dentures, pogo-stick with his cane and break the fourth wall at the same time. Also, I've got an idea that the replacement for Pit's conversations should just be Cranky ranting about every single character in the game.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
In a way, I think he will get in. I made a thread several weeks ago predicting that the Original/Classic Donkey Kong will get in.

(My computer was acting up, and no one replied, so I never was able/felt compelled to refine the thread. But my prediction still stands.)

Xigger

Smash Lord
I'm surprised Cranky Kong doesn't have more support. He would be the first senior character, has moveset potential thanks to DKCR, and would have retro homage as the original(?) Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I'm surprised Cranky Kong doesn't have more support. He would be the first senior character, has moveset potential thanks to DKCR, and would have retro homage as the original(?) Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong.
I think Cranky is awesome and I definitely would like if he appeared as a newcomer, but I feel Dixie and K. Rool are more deserving reps for the DK series for Smash Ultimate. I do hope Cranky gets in as an assist trophy, that would be rad.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
I think Cranky is awesome and I definitely would like if he appeared as a newcomer, but I feel Dixie and K. Rool are more deserving reps for the DK series for Smash Ultimate. I do hope Cranky gets in as an assist trophy, that would be rad.
Really? I feel Cranky's more deserving as a character with more consistent presence than Dixie or K. Rool in the games, and it feels like such a Sakurai move to put in an unexpected but charming oddball.

Top Bottom