• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crafting the Ultimate Lifeform - Yoshi's MU Chart

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
This thread will be the centerpiece for discussing pretty much all of Yoshi's Match ups in this game. With Smash 5 having 76 characters and still 6 more to come, having over 80 threads seems redundant and would be too much to go through. If there's concern of stuff getting lost in this thread, that can easily be fixed by linking the exact post when discussion for that character started up if any.

Unfortunately though with nearly all discussion for other communities ending up on Discord mainly, Twitter or even Facebook. Linking Smashboards threads from other sections is very unlikely, so it shall be all of us discussing in here and grabbing key points to throw in the OP on certain Match ups.

Overtime after the meta has developed a bit and more opinions has cropped up from the Yoshi's that's become high level players in their regions we shall start organizing the players into a group to discuss MU Ratios along with taking in other people not a part of said groups opinions and reach a single MU chart of the general consensus on what will be our easiest/hardest match ups.
At this moment the thread is here just to exist, but shall be the main archive for any important discussion.

Please be sure to read the First/Second post for Vital info on matchups when write ups or key points are being posted.

Everything will be Blanks of course for the time being.

Yellow Numbers for the Ratio will be an Even/50:50 MU
Green Numbers will be a Slight Advantage/55:45 MU
Light Blue Numbers will be a Strong Advantage/60:40 MU

Orange Numbers will be a Slight Disadvantage/45:55 MU
Red Numbers will be a Strong Disadvantage/40:60 MU

|:ultbayonetta:|:ultbowser:|:ultbowserjr:|:ultfalcon:|:ultcloud:|:ultcorrin:|:ultdiddy:|:ultdk:|:ultdoc:|:ultduckhunt:|:ultfalco:|:ultfox:
:ultyoshi:|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|

|:ultganondorf:|:ultgreninja:|:ulticeclimbers:|:ultike:|:ultincineroar:|:ultinkling:|:ultisabelle:|:ultjigglypuff:|:ultkingdedede:|:ultkrool:|:ultkirby:|:ultlink:

|:ultlittlemac:|:ultlucario:|:ultlucas:|:ultluigi:|:ultmario:|:ultmarth:|:ultlucina:|:ultmegaman:|:ultmetaknight:|:ultmewtwo:|:ultmiifighters:|:ultgnw:

|:ultness:|:ultolimar:|:ultpacman:|:ultpalutena:|:ultpeach:|:ultdaisy:|:ultpichu:|:ultpikachu:|:ultpiranha:|:ultpit:|:ultdarkpit:|:ultpokemontrainer:

|:ultridley:|:ultrob:|:ultrobin:|:ultrosalina:|:ultroy:|:ultchrom:|:ultryu:|:ultken:|:ultsamus:|:ultdarksamus:|:ultsheik:|:ultshulk:

|:ultsimon:|:ultrichter:|:ultsnake:|:ultsonic:|:ulttoonlink:|:ultvillager:|:ultwario:|:ultwiifittrainer:|:ultwolf:|:ultyoshi:|:ultyounglink:|:ultzelda:
:ultyoshi:|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?|?/?| 50/50 |?/?|?/?|

|:ultzss:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Slush, since you proposed not having separate match up threads, are you expecting people to only discuss one MU at a time in this thread? I fear that linking specific posts won't work if there are multiple discussions happening here simultaneously.

Also, let this be clear. This thread is not the place for you to post your MU chart and ask for feedback. The purpose of this thread is for more focused discussion, not to evaluate your thoughts on the entire roster of MUs.

If you wish to share your opinion on a match up, you should post a well thought out and well-reasoned opinion on the match up. This should include some discussion about the neutral, advantage, and disadvantaged states.

If you're trying to ask for help with regard to fighting your friend or a specific character, the Q&A thread is the better place to post. This thread exists for deep analysis of match ups, not as a place to give advice for your struggles
(although as this thread gets populated, it will be a good resource for those who do need help).

|:ultbayonetta:|:ultbowser:|:ultbowserjr:|:ultfalcon:|:ultcloud:|:ultcorrin:|:ultdiddy:|:ultdk:|:ultdoc:|:ultduckhunt:|:ultfalco:|:ultfox:

|:ultganondorf:|:ultgreninja:|:ulticeclimbers:|:ultike:|:ultincineroar:|:ultinkling:|:ultisabelle:|:ultjigglypuff:|:ultkingdedede:|:ultkrool:|:ultkirby:|:ultlink:

|:ultlittlemac:|:ultlucario:|:ultlucas:|:ultluigi:|:ultmario:|:ultmarth:|:ultlucina:|:ultmegaman:|:ultmetaknight:|:ultmewtwo:|:ultmiifighters:|:ultgnw:

|:ultness:|:ultolimar:|:ultpacman:|:ultpalutena:|:ultpeach:|:ultdaisy:|:ultpichu:|:ultpikachu:|:ultpiranha:|:ultpit:|:ultdarkpit:|:ultpokemontrainer:

|:ultridley:|:ultrob:|:ultrobin:|:ultrosalina:|:ultroy:|:ultchrom:|:ultryu:|:ultken:|:ultsamus:|:ultdarksamus:|:ultsheik:|:ultshulk:

|:ultsimon:|:ultrichter:|:ultsnake:|:ultsonic:|:ulttoonlink:|:ultvillager:|:ultwario:|:ultwiifittrainer:|:ultwolf:|:ultyoshi:|:ultyounglink:|:ultzelda:

|:ultzss:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:|:201h:

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Slush, since you proposed not having separate match up threads, are you expecting people to only discuss one MU at a time in this thread? I fear that linking specific posts won't work if there are multiple discussions happening here simultaneously.
I entertained the idea of having a similar thing to BBR with discussing waves of characters but at the same time the choices I'd make prolly wouldn't matter to others as their scene doesn't have X character but has Y instead.

There was something similar some smash 4 character boards did of one character a week or two but then cause of SB being dead no discussion happened. Think if this thread has traffic then maybe I'll think of something but for now most likely gonna be not much unless I get people to post here hopefully.

Still might go with the idea of choosing characters, most likely whatever seems to be the trending ones, for example :ultinkling: :ultmarth:/:ultlucina: :ultpeach:/:ultdaisy: :ultpichu: :ultpikachu: :ultroy:/:ultchrom: as a starting point for discussion.

Atomic Yoshi

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I’ll kick it off.

Inkling seems to be a consensus top tier pick at the moment, so we might as well think about fighting her.

Here’s the basics:

1) Be careful about breaking combos. If you get hit, do not float back into Inkling because she has way too much mobility. Never try to break horizontal combos with n-air (this goes for most situations, actually). Mashing the A button after getting hit horizontally will get you f-air / b-air. You might be able to break a combo with n-air vertically, but this is risky too.

Double jump is probably the best option. In addition, ground pound is really good when there are platforms, because Inkling’s vertical air speed is not that great. Therefore, they can’t chase us too high or we can down-b through a platform safely.

2) Ink roller (side-b) can be punished on the ground by our down-b. If the ink roller hits your shield from behind, do a b-reverse ground pound out of shield.

3) We can’t do anything vs Inkling’s recovery. It’s too good, and going offstage could put us in disadvantage. My favorite option is to try to cover the ledge with an egg toss arc and to keep them backed up near the ledge.

4) Expounding on (3), we should try to avoid disadvantage as much as possible in general. Do NOT overplay. This means going offstage when - let’s face it - Inkling will always recover because they can time out their up-b usage. As such, you’ll be the one offstage then in a bad spot. Similarly, be careful about trying to chase with double jump u-air for the kill.

5) Don’t toss eggs when Inkling is below you (e.g. you’re in the air and they’re on the ground). Inkling’s dash puts them super low, so they can run right through the egg toss and hit you. Eggs should be used when Inkling is landing (i.e. they are above you). Aim your eggs accurately so that they’re below Inkling (in the landing zone) and not above Inkling where they’d never hit.

6) One nice thing to do is to jump with your back to Inkling (and most chars in general) when they’re above you (like a ~60 degree angle and half a FD length). This gives you the option - depending on which way they drift - to either do a rising b-air or to b-reverse an egg toss and let the momentum allow you to land an u-air should the egg connect. Make sure you time your initial jump correctly so you get a nice angle for these options.

7) Our best kill options are probably jab > down-b, egg > u-air, and n-air out of shield. One of Yoshi’s great kill options is u-air on a grounded opponent. However, this is extremely difficult to land against Inkling because they are constantly moving and this move is committal. Fishing for it is probably just not worth it, and we should try for another setup.

They’re going to hit us a bunch, and we’re going to hit them a bunch. Try not to die below 150%. If you start to lose momentum, focus on creating a drought for your opponent (don’t let them hit you for a bit) rather than panicking. We can run away in the air. Inkling has a bunch of quick moves but nothing particularly strong. Inkling can’t really exploit Yoshi’s weaknesses, nor does Inkling herself really have any weaknesses to exploit.

In summary, don’t overcommit to punishes. Don’t overplay. Stay solid. Trade neutral exchanges. Don’t get hit excessively in disadvantage. I’d say advantage Inkling because I think that their neutral and recovery is a lot better, but if you hold the line and make it a war of attrition, Yoshi can come out on top.

Saxonius

Smash Rookie
Alright, I’ll kick it off.

2) Ink roller (side-b) can be punished on the ground by our down-b. If the ink roller hits your shield from behind, do a b-reverse ground pound out of shield.

3) We can’t do anything vs Inkling’s recovery. It’s too good, and going offstage could put us in disadvantage. My favorite option is to try to cover the ledge with an egg toss arc and to keep them backed up near the ledge.

4) Expounding on (3), we should try to avoid disadvantage as much as possible in general. Do NOT overplay. This means going offstage when - let’s face it - Inkling will always recover because they can time out their up-b usage. As such, you’ll be the one offstage then in a bad spot. Similarly, be careful about trying to chase with double jump u-air for the kill.
why exactly is breaking a horizontal combo with nair a Bad idea? And do you also recommend not using it against horizontal swordslash strings by chrom roy lucina/marth?

I like to use a well timed sour nair or a dair to counter recovery, but yeah it's difficult.

Can u down b instantly out of shield or am I forced to drop shield first (and thus taking in all the ending lag)

anomaly a10

Smash Rookie
I entertained the idea of having a similar thing to BBR with discussing waves of characters but at the same time the choices I'd make prolly wouldn't matter to others as their scene doesn't have X character but has Y instead.

There was something similar some smash 4 character boards did of one character a week or two but then cause of SB being dead no discussion happened. Think if this thread has traffic then maybe I'll think of something but for now most likely gonna be not much unless I get people to post here hopefully.

Still might go with the idea of choosing characters, most likely whatever seems to be the trending ones, for example :ultinkling::ultmarth:/:ultlucina::ultpeach:/:ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultroy:/:ultchrom: as a starting point for discussion.
I main roy and I feel its even or slightly advantageous for me. Double Jump armor falters against his sweetspots, and he has potent spacing tools. But, yoshi can easily tack on tons of % by getting in on Roy, and can evade Roy's nair combos with fast air speed, and down tilt shield pokes with his egg. The yoshi has to find an opening and capitalize, usually with ftilt into uptilt upair combos. Roy wants to force yoshi to agress into him and then get strings, as well as kill him soon.

Top Bottom