• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crabbageddon: What did it cost?

Maybe.jpg

One month ago at Pound 2019, we saw a spectator throw a steamed crab at Juan “HungryBox” Debiedma. Many questions filled our minds, but the biggest question of all was:

Is HungryBox worth the hate value of whatever the crab cost?

The first step in solving this formula is simple; we need to find out how much the crab cost. Pound 2019 was located in Laurel, Maryland. Thanks to this site, we can see that during the 2018 crab season, the price of twelve adult crabs ranged from $42 USD (U.S. Dollars) to $86 USD, or about $3.50 or $7.17 per crab. Of course, these prices are from over a year ago, and crabs are currently out of season. Another possible reference is the Red Crab House in Laurel, MD, which at the time of writing serves steamed blue crab for $15. We could just assume that it came from Red Lobster or Olive Garden or whatever, but that’s not enough to display hate for HungryBox.

There is one other possibility to consider in this calculation: How much does it cost to catch a crab? Pontoon Opedia has a post about crab boats which can range from $80,000 to $160,000 on the used market and the highest is seven million—It’s highly doubtful that the person in question caught it themselves, though.

This still would have cost them some amount of their time, so for the sake of argument, we’ll say it was at least $3.50. How much is $3.50 to $15 worth?

The minimum wage in Maryland is the easiest piece to calculate—it’s $10.10. This means that, to hit HungryBox with a crab that they bought, it would have cost about 20 minutes to an hour and a half of their time.

Is HungryBox worth the hate value of that? We had professional experts from both sides weigh in their thoughts,

Reasons to use 20 minutes to an hour and a half of Hate Value:
  • He keeps winning with Jigglypuff
  • The spectator has difficulty pronouncing his name
  • This is part of a grander statement about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s online
  • This was a promotional stunt for their new Crab restaurant
  • SAVE MELEE
Reasons to not use 20 minutes to an hour and a half of Hate Value:
  • He keeps winning with Jigglypuff
  • He played the game well and used the mechanics in game
  • He shook hands afterwards with the opponent
  • You could eat the crab instead
  • His name is HungryBox, and you don’t even put it in a box?
One last question.

Why the crab?

Were they just that crabby?

Disclaimer - Smashboards does not condone of throwing anything at or hitting anyone and does not endorse this assault in any way

Author’s Note: Will you eat a crab tonight? How much do you think the crab costed? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Man I want to laugh at the absurdity of the situation, but jeez why do smash tournaments always have so much weird drama? Throwing crabs at people ain't normal.

I get it's a joke, but I'm disappointed that this isn't an actual article about the aftermath of the incident that ends with "the crab tosser (both words being used figuratively and literally here.) was found, excommunicated from the Smash community, banned from all formal tournament events, and promptly and swiftly executed by guillotine.

The player got the Giant Enemy Crab meme completely backwards and thought he had to hit his opponent's weak point for massive damage with it.

Last edited:
"Did you do it?"
"Yes."
"And what did it cost?"
"About 20 minutes to an hour and a half of my time."

Not gonna lie, when I first clicked on this I thought it would be about the social repercussions on the professional smash community because of the crab being thrown, not a literal analysis of the time/money that would have gone into the crab being thrown.

So troll level 10/10 well done.

Top Bottom